test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FACT: There are MORE than 6 missions in the Agents of Yesterday TOS expansion

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Probably one of my many quirks is that I don't consider or expect off-the-cuff conversational chit-chat on a pod cast to be quite as nuanced as a prepared statement. Or especially binding. Yeah, he said it. He may even have believed it, despite needing a VERY different definition of "being a faction" than I'd expect 99.9% of the players to hold to.

But ultimately, so what? What do you propose to do about it other than hold a lynching in absentia to showcase your own complete powerlessness in this exchange? He wasn't in contract negotiations. He was just talkin'.
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »
    Ah... A victory for pessimism.

I'm perfectly happy they DON'T sink a lot of time into one-faction only content. Doubly so when it's Federation-only.

Yeah yeah, that's great. But that still doesnt change what Al Rivera said:

the TOS faction is AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans

so now that it has been confirmed there are only 6 faction exclusive missions, its time for him to explain himself.

Whether you think that is for the best or not is a separate issue.

Obviously most players and Al Rivera have different definitions of what a faction is. Missions, ships, costumes, and a unique social zone must not be part of what makes a faction.

maybe so. So now Geko can explain what he meant. asking someone to explain a statement they made is not an unreasonable request in any way what so ever.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Ah... A victory for pessimism.

I'm perfectly happy they DON'T sink a lot of time into one-faction only content. Doubly so when it's Federation-only.

Yeah yeah, that's great. But that still doesnt change what Al Rivera said:

the TOS faction is AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans

so now that it has been confirmed there are only 6 faction exclusive missions, its time for him to explain himself.

Whether you think that is for the best or not is a separate issue.
    Obviously most players and Al Rivera have different definitions of what a faction is. Missions, ships, costumes, and a unique social zone must not be part of what makes a faction.
    maybe so. So now Geko can explain what he meant. asking someone to explain a statement they made is not an unreasonable request in any way what so ever.
    He's probably talking about it from a coding perspective. TOS characters ARE coded into the game as a separate subfaction, they have a special transporter effect, unique tutorial, unique boffs, kit modules, etc....

Yes, the devs went and made 23c versions of a LOT of skills... why? not really sure. But TOS boffs come with them. And TOS boffs can't be used by 2409 Feds.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    He's probably talking about it from a coding perspective.

maybe, maybe not. until he actually tells us what he meant, we just don't know. he made the statement several weeks ago and has refused to clarify it since then, even though it's been asked multiple times. if he has some legitimate meaning behind it and wasnt just exaggerating, i'm not sure why we havent heard it yet.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

Now that I can totally support. I'd love to hear the bullet points in his head that lead him to say that. Mostly because it would be a great look 'under the hood' at how the Developers approach the game. It would also be a terrific resource for trying to put together any kind of fan proposal for new factions in the future.

Here are the things the Developers are thinking of when they think 'Faction'...

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Now that I can totally support. I'd love to hear the bullet points in his head that lead him to say that. Mostly because it would be a great look 'under the hood' at how the Developers approach the game. It would also be a terrific resource for trying to put together any kind of fan proposal for new factions in the future.

Here are the things the Developers are thinking of when they think 'Faction'...
    We can create a reasonable extrapolation by comparing TOS to Rom. :p That's actually the basis of my previous post.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Signature complete
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Signature complete

great work. a few more things you might want to consider:

roms have many(?) faction exclusive costume parts. TOS has none(shared with fed)

roms have many(?) faction exclusive ships. TOS has 1(starter, all others shared)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Signature complete

That might be a tad premature since the devs could add an additional TOS exclusive mission before AoY launches.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Signature complete

That might be a tad premature since the devs could add an additional TOS exclusive mission before AoY launches.

Zero confirmed in her interview tonight that all the TOS exclusive missions are currently on Tribble.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Can I have my caitian now that we know there's only six missions, please?
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Tribbles in Ecstasy interviewed Zero tonight and a question I asked regarding this was answered. It is official, all TOS faction exclusive missions have been released to tribble. So just one arc of six missions.

At least as much of a new faction as Romulans it is most certainly NOT imho.

Is there a link for that? I'd like to hear it myself.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Signature complete

Zero confirmed in her interview tonight that all the TOS exclusive missions are currently on Tribble.

In other words, Gecko is a proven liar and deserves every bit of criticism he gets for it. The rest of cryptic is no better - they clearly knew what Gecko had said and did nothing to correct his claim. Therefore they are as guilty as he is. A lie by omission is still a lie.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Tribbles in Ecstasy interviewed Zero tonight and a question I asked regarding this was answered. It is official, all TOS faction exclusive missions have been released to tribble. So just one arc of six missions.

https://www.twitch.tv/holosuitemedia/v/74347005
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    darakoss wrote: »

ok... semi-thanks.... any particular spot in that five and a half hour podcast?
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    darakoss wrote: »

ok... semi-thanks.... any particular spot in that five and a half hour podcast?

semi-welcome! I believe its around the 40min mark. Correction 54:00
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Signature complete

Then the TOS faction is officially a micro-faction. As I said before, it would be a great way of introducing factions like Cardassians and Borg Cooperative since there is not enough support to create an actual faction for them.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I think after 5 years I can say from experience that nothing will ever have anything added to it. They just don't work that way. New Romulus, the Delta Quadrant, Delta Recruit, all the ground and space zones (I don't remember hearing anything on that really). Any area that's released is done. The exceptions of course are Risa and Q's.
    Signature complete

Mark you are truly evil. Do you have a manifesto I could read?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options

Mark you are truly evil. Do you have a manifesto I could read?

Lol, that screen name is really rather old. Back in my Jedi Outcast days I decided I didn't like the screen name I was using at the time, and since I almost always used dark side abilities in JO I went with EvilMark. Never changed it since then, and I use it for pretty much everything, lol.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    if you guys had read the interview here is how it goes down TOS faction has 6 missions for their tutorial that they alone get however in what i would say is a very nice move the rest of the TOS faction story missions can be enjoyed by all the other factions so that if people have higher level characters they can jump right into that storyline without much problem. It may cost em exclusive missions but it also opens more missions up to everyone even those who do not wanna roll a TOS toon which is again a good move by cryptic. It is further mentioned that TOS characters has separate dialogue interactions than the other factions in these missions. It is indeed a full faction just one everyone can also enjoy as well and not be restricted by their own faction.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    neos472 wrote: »
    if you guys had read the interview here is how it goes down TOS faction has 6 missions for their tutorial that they alone get however in what i would say is a very nice move the rest of the TOS faction story missions can be enjoyed by all the other factions so that if people have higher level characters they can jump right into that storyline without much problem. It may cost em exclusive missions but it also opens more missions up to everyone even those who do not wanna roll a TOS toon which is again a good move by cryptic. It is further mentioned that TOS characters has separate dialogue interactions than the other factions in these missions. It is indeed a full faction just one everyone can also enjoy as well and not be restricted by their own faction.

How may I access the TOS Hub? Beam down to New Romulus?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User

No.

First you listed multiple reasons as to exactly why it isn't a full faction, and then went on to claim that it was. Its not even remotely close to being a full faction. Its not even close to being a pseudo faction like the romulans. You literally just described it as a different tutorial with a few different lines of dialog and then tried to rationalize it. That setup goes against the very concept of a faction. Anybody calling this a faction is calling people stupid for thinking they'll foolish enough to believe it. We were flat out, explicitly lied to and cryptic knew full well that we were being lied to and they said nothing to correct that lie. Thats saying an awful lot about what management really thinks of us
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

No.

First you listed multiple reasons as to exactly why it isn't a full faction, and then went on to claim that it was. Its not even remotely close to being a full faction. Its not even close to being a pseudo faction like the romulans. You literally just described it as a different tutorial with a few different lines of dialog and then tried to rationalize it. That setup goes against the very concept of a faction. Anybody calling this a faction is calling people stupid for thinking they'll foolish enough to believe it. We were flat out, explicitly lied to and cryptic knew full well that we were being lied to and they said nothing to correct that lie. Thats saying an awful lot about what management really thinks of us

like I said before, I would not say they lied just that they would make jolly good politicians.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    Mt0c5ms.jpg

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    You weren't lied to, you just built up expectations based on one statement and then reached for the pitchfork when reality didn't match the stuff in your head. They're an allied faction just like the Romulans in any way that matters. You can't honestly have thought we were getting what would amount to a new game set in Kirk's era ?
  • Options
    irm1963 wrote: »
    You weren't lied to, you just built up expectations based on one statement and then reached for the pitchfork when reality didn't match the stuff in your head. They're an allied faction just like the Romulans in any way that matters. You can't honestly have thought we were getting what would amount to a new game set in Kirk's era ?

The sad part is... they went through all the work to do exactly that... touted it as a faction, then bailed out on that at the last second.

At least string up gecko by his testicles until he apologizes publicly for his terrible miscommunication.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    What do you want for nothing?

1) It's an absolutely free expansion.
    2) It's hours of brand new content.
    3) You can play every single second of that new content without spending a penny.

How many other MMO's can say the same? Name one.

If you're bent out of shape about an opinion that someone expressed in an interview, that's on you. The Dev's have put hours of work into this free expansion, and from Geko's standpoint, those hours equal a factions worth of work. He doesn't owe you an explanation or an apology for his opinion. Accept that you're not going to get either. If you're that bent out of shape over it, then don't play this brand new absolutely free content that the devs have made for you.
  • Options
    What do you want for nothing?

1) It's an absolutely free expansion.
    2) It's hours of brand new content.
    3) You can play every single second of that new content without spending a penny.

How many other MMO's can say the same? Name one.

If you're bent out of shape about an opinion that someone expressed in an interview, that's on you. The Dev's have put hours of work into this free expansion, and from Geko's standpoint, those hours equal a factions worth of work. He doesn't owe you an explanation or an apology for his opinion. Accept that you're not going to get either. If you're that bent out of shape over it, then don't play this brand new absolutely free content that the devs have made for you.

The "free" aspect of this expansion, or this entire game for that matter, is not something i consider a good thing in any way, shape, or form. And I'm not bent out of shape about it, it's just another example of a poor word choice from someone with a history of making poor word choices.
    eaY7Xxu.png