test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FACT: There are MORE than 6 missions in the Agents of Yesterday TOS expansion

Comments

• sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    I'm not sure why people are so afraid of the questions I'm asking. For anybody who is not afraid to answer, here are 2 questions:

1: do you really believe they will be adding another 20 exclusive missions for the TOS faction?

2: what do YOU think Geko meant when he said the TOS faction would be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans"?

I'm not trying to call anybody out, but I'm genuinely interested in what people think about those 2 issues. I'll give you my answers:

1: No, I think 90% of the expansion is going to be faction neutral.

2: I honestly think it was BS/spin. I think he was getting questions heading towards the obvious conclusion that the TOS faction WON'T have that much exclusive content, and didn't want to admit it, so he said something the hosts wanted to hear.

But that's just me. What do you think?
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    i would just call it a sub-faction, because that's what it really is - a faction within a faction​​

That makes sense. It's been compared to the Delta Recruitment program enough times (though at this point I can't recall if that was officially said by a Dev...everything's starting to run together), and that was a sort of sub-faction albeit for a limited time only, while this will be persistent.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Now, remember what Geko said? "The TOS faction will be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans are". AT LEAST.

Alternatively, when AoY comes out, Federation characters will become able to use Romulan uniform parts and ships... and then the Romulans will be just as much a faction as the TOS captains are :dizzy:.

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I'm not sure why people are so afraid of the questions I'm asking. For anybody who is not afraid to answer, here are 2 questions:

1: do you really believe they will be adding another 20 exclusive missions for the TOS faction?

2: what do YOU think Geko meant when he said the TOS faction would be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans"?

1. No. I can hope they do, but on the other hand, I think if they added another 20 exclusive missions to what is, in essence, a Fed sub-faction, the KDF/Rom players would have a conniption. "Why do the Feds get all the ships? Why do Feds get all the missions? Why do Feds get all the Love?" Think about it. Which is the better, the more fair, way to implement this expansion?

2. Mechanically, I'm sure the TOS characters are coded just like a faction. They developed a bunch of ships for them, they made a lot of art assets and environments for them. This is the stuff Geko deals with on the day to day. I'm sure he really thinks of it as a faction, as far as the work that has gone into it.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    the better and more fair way would've been to toss the kdf and romulans at least ONE ship each in the pack, instead of zippo...​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    bergins wrote: »
    1. No. I can hope they do, but on the other hand, I think if they added another 20 exclusive missions to what is, in essence, a Fed sub-faction, the KDF/Rom players would have a conniption. "Why do the Feds get all the ships? Why do Feds get all the

We do that anyways and ask those questions all the time so.... what would be the change?
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Look mate, let's be straight with each other, ok? Do you honestly believe that in the next few weeks before launch that they are going to be adding another 20 faction exclusive missions for the TOS faction? Because thats how many it would take for the TOS faction to be "at least as much" of a faction as the Romulans. I understand you dont' "know", but I'm just asking what you think from a realistic standpoint.

Honestly that is a very unlikely possibility at this point. And I'll tell you what we do know for sure: we do know that the regular Fed faction can use the TOS ships. So on the ships alone we know it isn't true that the TOS faction will be as much of a faction as the Romulans.

One last question: when this expansion finally launches it it's clear the TOS faction doesn't have nearly as much faction exclusive stuff as the Romulans, are you going to be acknowleding that and calling them out for what they said, or will you just ignore it?

Which is why I called it a micro-faction or alternate tutorial system early in the thread. I have absolutely no problem with STO introducing new "factions" like the Cardassians or Borg Cooperative with what they are doing with the TOS Starfleet tutorial, but calling it as much of a faction as Romulans just shows that we have different meaning for as much of a faction as Romulans. If the TOS Starfleet "faction" came out with about 15 ships and about 30 exclusive missions, then it would be as much of a faction as Romulans.

perhaps they would be better of if they called it a fraction.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    There are more than 6 missions but from the sound of it there are only 6 *exclusive* to the TOS faction, missions.
    edited June 2016
    I wasn't arguing, I was debating my point of view. I swear, I hate the Internet. Everyone think that everyone else is an TRIBBLE$ if they even attempt to defend their point of view or have a counterpoint. Can't a guy just use facts to back up his perspective without being called names anymore? If you took anything I said as hostile then I'm sorry, you misinterpreted it. But then again, I didn't call you smug, now did I?

At this point you may be right, I may be wrong, or maybe the opposite is true. But I doubt we'll agree either way, so I think it's best we move on. Honestly, it's nothing personal, it just seems like we're not able to communicate effectively with one another for whatever reason.

Thanks.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Ask yourself this question: what makes a "faction" a "faction" in STO?

1: unique costumes that other factions don't have

2: unique ships that other factions don't have

3: unique missions that other factions don't have

Now consider the following:

A: the TOS faction will NOT have unique costumes; the regular fed faction can wear the same costumes.

B: the TOS faction will NOT have unique ships; the regular fed faction can fly the same ships.

C: the TOS faction will have 6 exclusive missions, and further time travel missions will be SHARED with other factions.

Now, remember what Geko said? "The TOS faction will be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans are". AT LEAST.

Looks like somebody lied.

I beg to differ. What makes a faction in STO is:
      Unique transporter effects Unique tutorial mission

Since the Klingons, Romulans, and TOS_Starfleet factions have both of those each, it's safe to say that it is - for want of a better term, due to the way they've been implemented and merged into the game - a faction.

I'd imagine that's the same reason that Geko used when calling it a faction.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I wasn't arguing, I was debating my point of view. I swear, I hate the Internet. Everyone think that everyone else is an TRIBBLE$ if they even attempt to defend their point of view or have a counterpoint. Can't a guy just use facts to back up his perspective without being called names anymore? If you took anything I said as hostile then I'm sorry, you misinterpreted it. But then again, I didn't call you smug, now did I?

At this point you may be right, I may be wrong, or maybe the opposite is true. But I doubt we'll agree either way, so I think it's best we move on. Honestly, it's nothing personal, it just seems like we're not able to communicate effectively with one another for whatever reason.

Thanks.

funny part is, I think we're actually a lot closer than you seem to suspect in terms of point of view-the one point of separation I see, honestly, is that you still haven't come to accept a few things I see as blatant indicators.

but it takes more than one point of view to have a discussion, and I do value countering views-even when I think they're wrong, because I know for a fact that I can be utterly and completely wrong.

(just that, when I'm wrong, it's generally GOOD news. I'm never disappointed that way...lol.)

ever the pessimist, if you think everything is going to turn out bad you can often be pleasantly surprised where as if you hope everything will work out to be good you will more often be disappointed.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2016

I'm not trying to call anybody out, but I'm genuinely interested in what people think about those 2 issues. I'll give you my answers:

1: No, I think 90% of the expansion is going to be faction neutral.

2: I honestly think it was BS/spin. I think he was getting questions heading towards the obvious conclusion that the TOS faction WON'T have that much exclusive content, and didn't want to admit it, so he said something the hosts wanted to hear.

But that's just me. What do you think?

1. They haven't really gotten to the first part of the expansion title (Agents). So yeah, there are more missions coming. That's pretty unequivocal at this point, even discounting the obvious reasoning "Tribble doesn't have everything yet." Will there be 20 more missions? Probably not, but then again at a minimum Cryptic only needs to get up to level 19 (there may be an arc to follow, similar to what the Romulans had after Nimbus, but it's not something that needs to be presumed.) So shipping something comparable to what the FED and KDF have isn't going to cause any huge problems for the identity of the TOS faction (provided they have less bloat to their unique arcs, which so far has been the case :P.)

2. The announcement said one multi-faction arc (singular.) Filling 90% of AOY with multi-faction content requires even more imagination than populating the next set or two of TOS missions. What could be left besides more TOS missions? More PVE's undoubtedly, a zone conceivably, (possibly bringing the multi-faction up to 30 or 40% depending) but it may be worth speculating on what being a 2409 temporal agent will entail for TOS characters. Ex. new costumes and a new hub relating to their new role. That certainly hasn't been officially talked about yet (same as with everything else for the TOS faction after the 2409 setting shift) but I don't think it's a bad bet.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the better and more fair way would've been to toss the kdf and romulans at least ONE ship each in the pack, instead of zippo...​​
    Meh, the rumors I've heard is that there will be 3 ships usable by Rom/KDF.... exclusive? no. but usable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    It's obvious Gecko "misspoke". It's obvious the TOS faction will NOT be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans". They WON'T have exclusive uniforms like the Romulans. They WON'T have exclusive ships like the Romulans. They WON'T have lots of exclusive missions like the Romulans.

So what I don't get is why Gecko won't just say "look, I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong impression. The TOS faction isn't going to be a full fledged faction and it won't have as much content as the Romulans. But it's still going to be a lot of fun and we think people are going to enjoy it". If he would actually say something like that I think most people would be cool with it. Instead he refuses to address his comment and it leads to all these misunderstandings and forum fires.
    edited June 2016
    Didn't they say the TOS Faction was Fed only? If that's the case they are already less than Romulans without being able to align with KDF.

Now, we could be playing cat and mouse and giving TOS something that the Roms don't have, like a Security Guard to turn in Contraband.

They can't come out and just 'say it' have to string everyone along with doublespeak, again. And they wonder why they get so much grief all the time.

The TOS faction will 'at least' be 'as much' as the Romulans and the players will love it! Reminds me of the 'Players stand to lose as little as possible, most of the time.'

indeed LOL.

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    So what I don't get is why Gecko won't just say "look, I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong impression. The TOS faction isn't going to be a full fledged faction and it won't have as much content as the Romulans. But it's still going to be a lot of fun and we think people are going to enjoy it". If he would actually say something like that I think most people would be cool with it. Instead he refuses to address his comment and it leads to all these misunderstandings and forum fires.
    He basically did say that on the last Priority One, outright says he didn't want marketing to call it a "faction" because its not in the traditional sense.

OFC, no one actually bothers to read 99% of the dev's comments unless they are gold flaked and send in an embossed envelope to their house specifically.

I listened to that one in entirety and I'd have to do it again to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure he said the opposite, that marketing did NOT want to call it a faction.
    He basically did say that on the last Priority One, outright says he didn't want marketing to call it a "faction" because its not in the traditional sense.

OFC, no one actually bothers to read 99% of the dev's comments unless they are gold flaked and send in an embossed envelope to their house specifically.

If you're referring to Priority One 269 (if you have another sources, let me know please, because there's been a lot of devs talking about this and it's hard to keep track of everything), he didn't so much say that they he didn't want marketing to call it a faction, he said that they (the Devs I presume) were "struggling with the word faction, but effectively (it is) a new faction that is a TOS starting experience".

When asked about what makes this and expansion rather than a new season, he said that the difference was the "sheer volume of stuff " that goes into an expansion. He then says that a season usually has 1 to 3 new episodes, where as an expansion has a lot more and says that the last two expansions had "oh I don't know, maybe a dozen new episodes".

So obviously LoR and DR had more than a dozen episodes, so he was under-guessing on that point. that being said, he did make it clear that Agents of Yesterday has more than a typical season. (I'm not suggesting that you are personally doubting this or anything like that at all Somtaawkhar, just spouting off my thoughts at this point).

He goes on to say that an expansion is usually "...heavily themed..." and "...focuses on a new faction or a new experience..." and are usually targeted towards "...new acquisitions..." meaning new players, or a level cap increase like DR, which was designed for "retention" of existing players.

I won't go on, but I thought all of those points were particularly interesting.

Personally, I like Geko. I like listening to interviews with him because hes got a conversational tone and is obviously a huge Star Trek fan. Sure, he can sometimes muddle information, but I think folks just need to cut him some slack. These interviews are designed more as an informal way of getting information out there - as opposed to the blogs and forum posts, which are designed more for formal declarations of incoming content. I'm glad they don't have "scripted" talking points that they're required to stick to.

Let's remember, that the Developers aren't required to do these podcasts. They could simply rely on the Blogs to disseminate the information, but they actually enjoy interacting with the playerbase and the fans of STO. I would really hate for them to decide that that interaction isn't enjoyable, or is a liability that is more trouble than it's worth.

From here on out, I'm just going to remember the golden rule of games: "Nothing is ever set in stone in an MMO until it's actually in the game and I'm playing it".
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Meh, the rumors I've heard is that there will be 3 ships usable by Rom/KDF.... exclusive? no. but usable.

The third cross-faction ship info has been released on the Temporal Pack.

T6 Temporal Dreadnought Cruiser Chronos Class

9fcd76809e8d2bd4b5509a3b0d47dd4a1461693578.png

Designed to face the greatest threats of the temporal battlefield, the massive Chronos-class Dreadnought is truly a force to be reckoned with. When the Temporal Cold War goes hot, Starfleet calls for the power of the Chronos. This ship is available to all factions.

Whether there is anymore Temporal Cross-faction ships remains to be seen, but there are only 3 Intel Klingon ships and 3 Intel Romulan ships. 2 each from the Delta Operations Pack, the Kurak Class Battlecruiser, and the Morrigu Heavy Warbird.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Designed to face the greatest threats of the temporal battlefield, the massive Chronos-class Dreadnought is truly a force to be reckoned with. When the Temporal Cold War goes hot, Starfleet calls for the power of the Chronos. This ship is available to all factions.

Whether there is anymore Temporal Cross-faction ships remains to be seen, but there are only 3 Intel Klingon ships and 3 Intel Romulan ships. 2 each from the Delta Operations Pack, the Kurak Class Battlecruiser, and the Morrigu Heavy Warbird.

try again the is one intel ship for kdf and one for roms. the rest have intel seating but aren't intel ships. full intel ships get alot more.

and I'm betting that there will be no kdf or room temporal ships because they did the cross faction ships... or at least thats the excuse they will use.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2016
    Here's the actual quote from Geko, transcribed by me from the Priority One podcast, for those that are curious or those that want to use it to burn the world down or whatever:

In response to the host saying "with this new quote-unquote faction, semi faction, pseudo faction…" Geko said:

"It is a new faction it's as much as…we were coy about calling it a new faction in the press release. There were just some marketing concerns about the connotations of it, but it's at least as much of, AT LEAST as much of a new faction as Romulans was a new faction. So I mean it is…it's just technically still Federation right? It's just Federation from 2270 instead of Federation from 2409, so it's a new faction, it's a new starting experience, it’s its own arc and its own content. Specifically for them."

Do with it whatever you will.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    It's obvious Gecko "misspoke". It's obvious the TOS faction will NOT be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans". They WON'T have exclusive uniforms like the Romulans. They WON'T have exclusive ships like the Romulans. They WON'T have lots of exclusive missions like the Romulans.

Look, someone from the future! Tell me, strange traveler, what news have you of the driverless car. May we look forward to the glorious future these will bring? Certainly much more has been discussed regarding these fantrabulous devices than upcoming AoY content. Hearing what fruit such talk will yield would be most illuminating.

I listened to that one in entirety and I'd have to do it again to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure he said the opposite, that marketing did NOT want to call it a faction.

And it's worth remembering for this part of discussion that the meaning of words changes with context. Simple point, but its probably the key one here.

We think of faction in terms of FED/KDF/ROM, which includes two concepts: faction and mini-faction. Throw faction out there to the internet (such as through marketing) and the idea you'll likely invoke is the split between Alliance/Horde. Our "mini-faction" would fall somewhere else, but calling TOS characters a specialty race, for example, wouldn't gel with the STO community (because we've been throwing the word "faction" around, as it relates to backstory politics versus mass market MMO game mechanics.)

So, it's a problem. Different conventions for different communities. Devs think one way, marketing another. That's all (no radical reinterpretations of upcoming content necessary.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

try again the is one intel ship for kdf and one for roms. the rest have intel seating but aren't intel ships. full intel ships get alot more.

and I'm betting that there will be no kdf or room temporal ships because they did the cross faction ships... or at least thats the excuse they will use.

If it has 1 Intel seat, then it is an Intel ship. Considering that there is only 3 ships with just Intel slots for the Romulans and KDF compared to a total of 17 Tier 6 ships for both the Romulans and KDF, then it is easier to call any ship with 1 Intel seat and no other Specialization seats an Intel ship. It doesn't matter if only 1 ship has an interesting gimmick that has no relation to what Bridge Officer abilities you have.

As far as no more Temporal ships for the Romulans and KDF, then there is the Kurak, Morrigu, and Pathfinder. Cryptic has to release its C-Store pack of 3 or more ships that are almost the same ship except a different look and slightly different stats due to it being a Starfleet, KDF, or Romulan ship.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I look forward to seeing [TOS Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x3] on the exchange a lot.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
    nightken wrote: »

If it has 1 Intel seat, then it is an Intel ship. Considering that there is only 3 ships with just Intel slots for the Romulans and KDF compared to a total of 17 Tier 6 ships for both the Romulans and KDF, then it is easier to call any ship with 1 Intel seat and no other Specialization seats an Intel ship. It doesn't matter if only 1 ship has an interesting gimmick that has no relation to what Bridge Officer abilities you have.

As far as no more Temporal ships for the Romulans and KDF, then there is the Kurak, Morrigu, and Pathfinder. Cryptic has to release its C-Store pack of 3 or more ships that are almost the same ship except a different look and slightly different stats due to it being a Starfleet, KDF, or Romulan ship.

I'm gonna save myself some time of this.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7004273-tier-6-intel-starships

"We’re very excited to announce the brand new Intel starships that will launch with Delta Rising. These new ships are sleek, agile, and deadly, and they feature a brand new mechanic not found on any other starship. Intel starships are available to captains that are level 50 or greater.

These all new starships are based upon an existing ship category (i.e.: Cruiser, Escort, Science Vessel, Warbird, etc.) and then heavily modified to make them more stealthy and agile. While all Intel ships are fairly unique, they all have the following in common:

Faster and more agile than non-intel ships of the same category
    Less hull strength (HP) than non-intel ships of the same category
    Cloaking Device
    Starfleet Intel ships have a standard Cloak
    Klingon Intel ships have Battle Cloak
    Romulan Intel ships have Enhanced Romulan Battle Cloak
    Can equip Dual Cannons
    All Intel ships are Tier 6, so include standard features for this tier
    Scaling HP
    Starship Mastery passive abilities
    Starship Trait
    Have a Commander hybrid Intelligence bridge officer seat
    Have at least one other lower rank hybrid Intelligence bridge officer seat
    Have the Gather Intelligence mechanic"

from cryptic's own blog please try again. note the part with both a commander intel and lower ranked one.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2016
    Let's not forget that Cryptic has a history of releasing additional ships after the expansions have launched. There will most likely be a 3 pack of temporal ships for each faction (that can also be bought separately) on the C-store a month or so after release.

They always spread the purchases around.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see the TOS era Klingon and Romulan ships (there are at least 1 new ship there, and there's also the D7 Romulan variant to consider) hitting the C-store in the near future as well.
    Let's not forget that Cryptic has a history of releasing additional ships after the expansions have launched. There will most likely be a 3 pack of temporal ships for each faction (that can also be bought separately) on the C-store a month or so after release.

They always spread the purchases around.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see the TOS era Klingon and Romulan ships (there are at least 1 new ship there, and there's also the D7 Romulan variant to consider) hitting the C-store in the near future as well.

sadly as to date they have never released a full spec after the first group. assuming they release a d-7, and I'm hoping for one, I'm betting it'll be like the pathfinder just enough to give you a taste of what the spec ships can do but not a full spec ship.