test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Coming to Console - Confirmed

Comments

• equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'll stick to pc, have too, too much invested there.

investment
    ɪnˈvɛs(t)m(ə)nt/Submit
    noun
    the action or process of investing money for profit.

No one expects the grammar N_azi inquisition!
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Makes zero sense, and I cannot see this happen, nor would I want it to. No need to dumb down a PC game to cater to consoles, and worse, mix them together.

Oh dear. :blush:

• ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    And I thought it was a joke email telling me this TRIBBLE was going to console....
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Where's my Wii version ?
    :P
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Get ready for the 12 year old console trolls. Oh boy.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    its funny when NW went to console , devs denied that STO would go console had no plans in even considering going to console
    though sometime has past since that announcement , i feel that they mislead us on that statement that they planned this all along like we all pointed out when NW console launched
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »

maybe you haven't noticed, but age and platform use have nothing to do with someone being an assh*le​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    quepan wrote: »
    its funny when NW went to console , devs denied that STO would go console had no plans in even considering going to console
    though sometime has past since that announcement , i feel that they mislead us on that statement that they planned this all along like we all pointed out when NW console launched

The devs flat out lying to and or misleading us? That is a shocker to you?
    lianthelia wrote: »
    quepan wrote: »

The devs flat out lying to and or misleading us? That is a shocker to you?

Unless I'm mistaken, the devs don't run the game, they only make the content. Their parent company overseas runs the game.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just hope the console version doesn't affect the PC version too much. Even simpler UI, bigger more colorful pictures, less (UI) console commands an tuning abilities because it all will be locked out for the sake of the console - I just hope not. pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »

Viewing zone chat ingame I was under the impression we already have them.
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just hope the console version doesn't affect the PC version too much. Even simpler UI, bigger more colorful pictures, less (UI) console commands an tuning abilities because it all will be locked out for the sake of the console - I just hope not. pig-2.gif​​

I'll guess it'll work like this- they port it over and it makes a tidy profit on one of the consoles, then they quickly sell their interest in STO to SOE or MS to get out from under it, and close the PC servers. Ideally it'll be MS who ends up with it since MS can charge for it in their app store and xbox network, while charging everyone else for access to their servers.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

I'll guess it'll work like this- they port it over and it makes a tidy profit on one of the consoles, then they quickly sell their interest in STO to SOE or MS to get out from under it, and close the PC servers.

CiRj7noVEAA4kYJ.jpg

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    All hail daveyny and comrademoco, the Star Trek Online prophets.

But damn, doesn'T that mean there is yet another big announcement coming? What could that be? I thought Star Trek Online 2 was not on the table? Or will it be Shatner? Steward? Brooks?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    viox2k wrote: »

DISASTER in the making...monkey-6.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User

But damn, doesn'T that mean there is yet another big announcement coming? What could that be? I thought Star Trek Online 2 was not on the table? Or will it be Shatner? Steward? Brooks?

I know comrademoco but who the heck is the other little dude?​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016

More guest stars are pretty certain for AoY. Who is anyone's guess. :)

However I don't see why this doesn't qualify as "the big announcement." It may not be specifically relevant for PC users but it's pretty huge for the game.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

I know comrademoco but who the heck is the other little dude?

...seriously? you haven't seen the minion spam all over the forums yet?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I mean it only makes sense...

If you've heard the latest Priority One Podcast with Cptn Geko he gives enough information that makes me come to the conclusion that Star Trek Online might be coming to Console...

Think of this, FedCon is coming... And PWE has a 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT' for STO and it's not the Expansion 3 news (so it seems)

Now from the details Geko gave in the latest interview the new TOS faction will be like(similar) to the romulans, but it'll have its own story arc, it's own sector block, quadrant etc... Geko also mentions that TOS faction captains will be able to play 'some but not all' end-game coneltent from the regular factions... FED - ROM - KDF... at 'some point'

So my guess is that Expansion 3 will introduce the TOS faction that is also simple enough to introduce in a console release...

Plus why did the STO forums suddenly get a PC section?!? The only other PWE games that have a PC section for the game's forums are the ones that have a console counterpart... - thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing this out.

Thoughts?

Before you say; "Not gonna happen!" I know but it's worth a thought.

Maybe I'm getting all the clues all wrong...

another sto console debate, it ends the same way it usually does. it gets shot down.

i doubt the developers would be willing to nerf the game and its abilities just to satisfy the the console gamers, it also makes no real sense from a business point of view, to build an engine for the console version and make it compatible cross platforms between the pc version and the console version and alienate the players who have been around to accept this. another thing to worry about is ARC, why would anyone be willing to use it through ARC because you know they will shove that thing on the latest version for the console and like microsoft live, it is a risk to use and not a lot of people are real interested in yet another launcher and another website to register through.

there are a lot of potential problems to even consider.. i just dont see it happening besides the devs dont have the time for anything besides their content and the expansion over the last half a year or more.

urm what @mirrorchaos ???? hrmmm??? :smiley::smirk:

your a bit slow there moco since on the previous page after getting official proof i have no reason to complain about it any further.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    I mean it only makes sense...

If you've heard the latest Priority One Podcast with Cptn Geko he gives enough information that makes me come to the conclusion that Star Trek Online might be coming to Console...

Think of this, FedCon is coming... And PWE has a 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT' for STO and it's not the Expansion 3 news (so it seems)

Now from the details Geko gave in the latest interview the new TOS faction will be like(similar) to the romulans, but it'll have its own story arc, it's own sector block, quadrant etc... Geko also mentions that TOS faction captains will be able to play 'some but not all' end-game coneltent from the regular factions... FED - ROM - KDF... at 'some point'

So my guess is that Expansion 3 will introduce the TOS faction that is also simple enough to introduce in a console release...

Plus why did the STO forums suddenly get a PC section?!? The only other PWE games that have a PC section for the game's forums are the ones that have a console counterpart... - thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing this out.

Thoughts?

Before you say; "Not gonna happen!" I know but it's worth a thought.

Maybe I'm getting all the clues all wrong...

another sto console debate, it ends the same way it usually does. it gets shot down.

i doubt the developers would be willing to nerf the game and its abilities just to satisfy the the console gamers, it also makes no real sense from a business point of view, to build an engine for the console version and make it compatible cross platforms between the pc version and the console version and alienate the players who have been around to accept this. another thing to worry about is ARC, why would anyone be willing to use it through ARC because you know they will shove that thing on the latest version for the console and like microsoft live, it is a risk to use and not a lot of people are real interested in yet another launcher and another website to register through.

there are a lot of potential problems to even consider.. i just dont see it happening besides the devs dont have the time for anything besides their content and the expansion over the last half a year or more.

urm what @mirrorchaos ???? hrmmm??? :smiley::smirk:

your a bit slow there moco since on the previous page after getting official proof i have no reason to complain about it any further.

I know I know mirror :)
    6tviTDx.png

• comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter

but didn't Microsoft ended the no cross-platform shenanigans???

from the article:
    Cross-Network Play
    First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/#ZMqRo9ti1HlCL6YV.99
    6tviTDx.png

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Regarding the devs lied to us when they said the game wouldn't be coming to console and now it is... If the devs came out at such a time and said they were working on a console version of the game, everyone would be bitching about it, or telling them what they should do to make it better; even more hassle that they could do without.

In addition to that, it's highly likely that they needed some development time to see if it could first be done to a standard that they perceived to work. Had they made the announcement and then it all fell to TRIBBLE, they'd look like morons, and all the expectations of them would have failed.

In this instance, I can understand why the devs lied about it.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    that article snippet says game developers still need to support the cross-platform feature by integrating it into their game - which it doesn't seem like cryptic has done

and even if microsoft has ended no cross-platform, sony hasn't, and it wouldn't be fair to PS users if they can't play with PC users when xbox users can​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited May 2016
    so i was partly right about the cross platform thing? so it seems ps4 and x1 are going to have their own separate server slots which would mean the watered down skills are not going to make a bit of difference to PC as the consoles are separate and the console version is its own version on another server with no interaction.

it seems cryptic has ramped up its staffing recently. maybe all those metrics over the past few years has done more for those suits in china then i realized.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    so i was partly right about the cross platform thing? so it seems ps4 and x1 are going to have their own separate server slots which would mean the watered down skills are not going to make a bit of difference to PC as the consoles are separate and the console version is its own version on another server with no interaction.
    I actually welcome this. I feel there's already too many options where skills and specializations are concerned with the PC version, especially for casual play when fundamentally, the difference in variety isn't going to mean that much to said player. If the console version of the game is more ... simplified, then I welcome it.

I am however wondering (going forward) whether the two platform versions of the game will coexist in the sense of direction and content. If a new story arc is released on the PC, will it automatically be released for console also? With the exception of all the skills and specializations, is the console version of the game going to have access to all the ships, costumes and weaponry that the PC version has?

In one breath I would actually prefer/support a fresh version of the game for the console, limit the number of available ships, weapons, consoles, modules etc. I don't know how other games like Destiny, Skyrim, Mass Effect and other games work with relation to their weapons and such, but I'd like the console trek to be simpler. I just want it to be fun, too many options offer up too much complexity and that sucks the enjoyment out of the game.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I've been calling a console release for a while, no one believed me.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪

but didn't Microsoft ended the no cross-platform shenanigans???

from the article:
    Cross-Network Play
    First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/#ZMqRo9ti1HlCL6YV.99

gasp

Does that mean STO might require W10 in the future ?

Makes sense since MS is desperate to push everyone to it. Can't have linux competition, and XP is already 'dead' to MS. Perhaps cross platform play wont even work unless the pc client is running on w10, which would mean w7,8, and 8.1 users would need to upgrade to w10, and with w10 not being free after next month, more money for MS.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well I have some questions..

1: Will PC accounts be allowed to transfer or link if so will LTS's still get benefits.

2: How will controls work as console cant handle the amount of skills that we currently use on the PC

3: is going to be a direct port or built for the console.

5: are they changing PC controls to what the Consoles are getting.
    flash525 wrote: »
    In one breath I would actually prefer/support a fresh version of the game for the console, limit the number of available ships, weapons, consoles, modules etc. I don't know how other games like Destiny, Skyrim, Mass Effect and other games work with relation to their weapons and such, but I'd like the console trek to be simpler. I just want it to be fun, too many options offer up too much complexity and that sucks the enjoyment out of the game.

considering that consoles have a set setup under the box cover, it would mean that there is only so far the developers can go with the tech supplied. so in the end simplicity can work for a console as it maybe required to keep the demands in a reasonable range, for example view range is lessened, line of sight as well in order to compensate for the higher graphics quality. for a pc that isnt needed because it can be constantly upgraded to exceed the game engines limitations.

i guess we will have to see if cryptic has gotten cross-platform integration or not.