test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online Coming to Console - Confirmed

comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
I mean it only makes sense...

If you've heard the latest Priority One Podcast with Cptn Geko he gives enough information that makes me come to the conclusion that Star Trek Online might be coming to Console...

Think of this, FedCon is coming... And PWE has a 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT' for STO and it's not the Expansion 3 news (so it seems)

Now from the details Geko gave in the latest interview the new TOS faction will be like(similar) to the romulans, but it'll have its own story arc, it's own sector block, quadrant etc... Geko also mentions that TOS faction captains will be able to play 'some but not all' end-game coneltent from the regular factions... FED - ROM - KDF... at 'some point'

So my guess is that Expansion 3 will introduce the TOS faction that is also simple enough to introduce in a console release...

Plus why did the STO forums suddenly get a PC section?!? The only other PWE games that have a PC section for the game's forums are the ones that have a console counterpart... - thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing this out.

Thoughts?

Before you say; "Not gonna happen!" I know but it's worth a thought.

Maybe I'm getting all the clues all wrong...

HAH!!!I CALLED IT!!!

News Blog: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9956413-star-trek-online-coming-to-xbox-one-and-ps4
Official Post: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1215293/star-trek-online-coming-to-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/p1
6tviTDx.png

Post edited by comrademoco on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If they can get rid of all the clickies...

But I doubt that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Hence the dummied down 4th Faction: TOS...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Would fit the simplification they put STO through through the years. Maybe next year at this time we have big, screen filling buttons just labeled "go" on everything, so it's console compatible pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    You know, I had just noticed the PC tab also tonight, while at work...

There will certainly need to be a lot of pruning down of abilities for STO to work as a console/Xbox game... But then, wasn't it already determined that a console/Xbox game was dropped?

Now, if they did manage to overcome the hurdles, perhaps it could be a joint announcement as in a console/Xbox release as well as a Windows Store option for acquiring the game (like Neverwinter recently announced)?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's come up a lot, but nothing has ever come of it.

Personally, I would love it. I think it would bring in a huge influx of new players, and if it could be done I think it would be cool to play STO from my couch instead of at my computer desk.

I honestly don't think it will ever happen, I just see to many technical hurdles with the control system, but I would be happy if it did. If I could play STO on my XBox One, that would be great.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    Yes, because what a little studio, who has already its hands full with 3 (OK, make it 2.5, poor Champions Online) games and couldn't keep a Mac client up, needs is to invest one or two ports for a modest MMO that is already 6 years old on consoles.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    Oh dear lord, let's hope not but I think you might be right.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    If they can get rid of all the clickies...

But I doubt that.

Yeah, there's waaaaaay too much action-bar & other UI (like engine power levels, hanger pet controls, etc) going on in this game for it to end up on console. Compared to, say, Neverwinter or Elder Scrolls Online, with their extremely limited ability sets that can be run on a controller.
  • Options
    puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Consoles? What is this 2008?
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Sharing something that I saw for a very short period of time. I happened to log on the other day and when I pulled up the whole start menu thing, it looked weird. I'm in America and some of the words weren't even in English and when I went to click on the button that usually pulls up the Forum selection, instead it pulled up a submenu that read: PC - PS2 - Tablet. At least, if my memory serves me, I think that's what it read. I simply dismissed it, hit start, and launched into the game. Once I was in, everything was the same. So...just maybe they're headed in that direction. Hopefully, if they are, the other platforms will be playing in the same world and we will experience an influx of players. That will just make everything a bit more lively. That submenu was not there for very long and I have not seen it since.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    To go to console, STO would need some serious changes. I don't want to say dumbing down, because that implies that our current meta of ability spam is smart. Right now, if you immediately spam all your attack abilities the moment you end up in combat, and spam heals when you're at 50% or so health, you'll face-roll most content in the game. If you were limited to 4 abilities (what would be required for a console), then you would need to think critically about which abilities to use and when to use them. The second arguably requires more skill. There's also the option of making more passive abilities, or turning currently activate abilities into passives.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Maybe just the TOS Expansion will be for console?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Hence the dummied down 4th Faction: TOS...

Which makes 3 dumbed down factions now.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hey, They took away Exploration Clusters because we weren't "smart" enough to find our way out of them.
    (funny, they didn't appear to be 'paperbags' to me)

This would just be right in line with Their assessment of our mental capacity.

<chuckle>
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Makes zero sense, and I cannot see this happen, nor would I want it to. No need to dumb down a PC game to cater to consoles, and worse, mix them together.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Well for some reason when I use Explore on arc the drop down menu know says "PC"
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    Well for some reason when I use Explore on arc the drop down menu know says "PC"

I'm assuming because ARC has more than just PC games, it's most likely got Mac, and soon it'll have "mobile cross compatable" games.

but on this topic.....no, they couldn't handle a MAC client, regardless of their PR saying "we encountered problems" which was just their way of saying, there wasn't a large enough Mac drawing, even if there were, we couldn't handle the server load and splitting of resources to maintain both.

unless.....this is the horrid project Sthal has been working on.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I kinda doubt it.
  • Options
    Maybe it's an app for mobile phones...?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    (X) = Heal, (Y) = BFAW, (A) = Engines, (B) = Interact. Done! ... but I doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    A console launch started in limited market in Europe?

Not sure how this could work with keybinds but perhaps they want to give it a shot!!!​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="daveyny;12928526"]Maybe just the TOS Expansion will be for console?[/quote]

Perhaps, but then that would go against what was said in the P1 interview, of not wanting the game to compete with itself.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I promised myself to buy whichever console they put this game on. I just hope I can continue my current acc...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Maybe it's going to be xbox only and require kinect, blink twice for engineering team, scratch your rear for BFaW?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    They would have to fix the plethora of bugs and broken stuff before they could port this over to a console. It will never happen. This MMO does not belong on kiddy gaming platforms.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yes, because what a little studio, who has already its hands full with 3 (OK, make it 2.5, poor Champions Online) games and couldn't keep a Mac client up, needs is to invest one or two ports for a modest MMO that is already 6 years old on consoles.

Being little and having their hands full didn't stop them from porting Neverwinter to Xbox One. (And that port is still running, and apparently profitable too.)

As for the notion that STO has been "dumbed down" to work on consoles: has everybody forgotten that STO was originally supposed to be released for the Xbox 360 as well as the PC? Remember how convoluted the skill tree was at launch (and I'm talking about how it was at launch, not how it was just before 11.5)? I seriously don't think "dumbing down for consoles" is what's happening here.

Also, don't forget that consoles support keyboards nowadays. (Back when I played FFXI on Xbox 360, a keyboard was pretty much a must.)

So, Cryptic could port the game, largely as-is, if they wanted to. I don't expect they will, but they could (heck, they almost did).
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Neverwinter was designed from the get-go to be a console and PC game.

STO started out as being both PC & Console, but Microsoft killed it by demanding a part of the profits.
    (Microsoft wanted to charge an extra fee for people to play STO on their X-Box Live system)

So Cryptic/Atari dropped that ball and just went with a PC version.

B)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    Neverwinter was designed from the get-go to be a console and PC game.

STO started out as being both PC & Console, but Microsoft killed it by demanding a part of the profits.
    (Microsoft wanted to charge an extra fee for people to play STO on their X-Box Live system)

So Cryptic/Atari dropped that ball and just went with a PC version.

B)

I didn't know that about Neverwinter. Makes sense, though.

So I might be wrong about STO's viability as a console game. (Though I still don't think the "dumbing down" (if that's even what's happening, which is debatable) has anything to do with consoles.)
  • Options
    Maybe 'dumming down' is not the right word I was looking for, but after listening to the details Geko gave in then P1 interview I came to the conclusion that the TOS Faction was more... simple!? than the other three... And I can still see this happening actually!

STO has been simplified so much this past few years that it 'could' actually work... Just look at the core systems of the game...

RND - DOff - Skills - Traits - - Specializations -Admiralty...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Maybe 'dumming down' is not the right word I was looking for, but after listening to the details Geko gave in then P1 interview I came to the conclusion that the TOS Faction was more... simple!? than the other three... And I can still see this happening actually!

How do you mean, more simple? It seems a lot like the introduction of the Republic in LoR to me.
    STO has been simplified so much this past few years that it 'could' actually work... Just look at the core systems of the game...

RND - DOff - Skills - Traits - - Specializations -Admiralty...

While I concede the point about skills, I'm not sure how doffing, specializations and admiralty count as simplification, since they add complexity rather than removing it. (Launch STO didn't have anything like them.) As for traits, I would argue that the current trait system is more complex than the launch one (since more traits and trait slots = more possible trait interactions = more possible builds = more complexity). ETA: Also, the current RnD system is easily the most complex yet; the previous ones were much, much simpler.

Also, I still maintain that it's not necessary to simplify STO to make it work on consoles. FFXI (which, yes, was designed as a console game) was plenty complex. So is FFXIV:ARR on consoles. And given the way that STO players already use keybinds to map ability rows, etc. to their XBox 360 controllers on the PC version, I just really don't see any reason why STO couldn't work on consoles more or less as-is. (ETA: I mean, no doubt there'd have to be UI changes, but I don't see why any mechanics would have to be changed.)