test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: Romulans and Klingons, don't give up

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
Lately I notice quite a few Romulan and Klingon players seem to feel like they're just going to do away with our content entirely and that they are justified in doing so due to the (circular logic of) return-on-investment of creating new things for us. Might I suggest that we stop assuming that and, while accepting we certainly will get less than the Feds as we always have, that it is to be expected that we will receive at least a steady trickle of new content alongside the fatter pipeline the Feds get? The last thing we need is for us to throw up our hands and give up.

Instead, let's actively push for creative ideas that will give us more of what we want for less of Cryptic's almighty dollar.

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    like we would give up. just cause cryptic is stilll trying to drive us off and the spoiled feds are still pretending it makes sense to guarantee you'll get near nothing from nearly a third of the fanbase. is no reason to give up.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I don't understand. The past year has seen the introduction of various 3-faction-packs for almost all new ships. All the mission content is written so that it works for all three existing factions.

What else can anyone want? Why would anyone complain after a year of getting more stuff to buy than ever?

because:

1. it seems that time is now over
    2. it meant we didn't get any standalone ships at all. everything is thrown in a pack with fed ships. the same can not be said for feds,
    3. and that fact storywise were treated even worse then before.

anyone else giot anything?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I think it's too early to make any judgements on the new packs that are being shown. There may yet be a Klingon or Romulan ship thrown in. Can't say for certain, but this was an initial announcement and there will be some time before it actually gets released. Who knows...

As the OP said, anyone that plays predominately Klingon or Romulan has to realize that this is a Starfleet Universe before it's anything else. With that in mind, we get what we get. Still flying the T5-U Fleet K'tinga retrofit and liking it!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well, it's confirmed that the temporal sci ship & raider are the first cross faction c-store ships. So that's a good thing, mostly.
    Aside from that it would be nice if the many problems of the kdf shipyard get fixed. Like the T5/6 B'Rotlh issue, the broken animations on the command cruisers, the invisible Far'Fi, the missing hull materials on the T6 flagships and I'm pretty sure there's still loads more of this TRIBBLE on both kdf and rom side.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'd rather take the 11 ships already announced for the Feds, than maybe a Klingon or Romulan ship thrown in. At least the 2 crossfaction ships are the best-looking ones, but still. Admiralty cards are the biggest value on ship multipacks and 11 is always better than 2. Plus, you know, collector here.

Or even better I'd rather take the clothes, because customization is king. But faction-restrictions ahoy. No you can't wear a ripped shirt, that's Fed only.

The pinnacle of arbitrary restrictions you can't even use the titles on non-Feds:
    This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Temporal Agent Pack. It unlocks for all TOS and Federation characters on an account.
    That's all the new packs need to say to me. Not because I need "Time Traveler" (I already have the much cooler "Temporal Mastermind" from the YoH lockbox), but because it's like raising a middle finger to all non-Fed players.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I'd rather take the 11 ships already announced for the Feds, [...]

Uh. You are confusing something here. The ships in the TOS pack are for the TOS faction. Not the Federation faction.
    Maybe. The pack description doesn't say. But in any case that's all the same for me with my Romulan main.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I don't understand. The past year has seen the introduction of various 3-faction-packs for almost all new ships. All the mission content is written so that it works for all three existing factions.

What else can anyone want? Why would anyone complain after a year of getting more stuff to buy than ever?

While Cryptic has released cross faction ships since the release of DR, not all the ships have been cross faction. There are still ships that are strictly Federation only. The most glaring omission are the 3 T6 science ships; there are no equivalents for the KDF or RR. Another example is the Fed T6 Carrier. What's insulting is that carriers were exclusive into the KDF faction; apparently with several bugs that existed for at least a few seasons. The bugs were not fixed until carriers were eventually introduced to the Federation faction (after an outcry of Fed players demanding carriers). There is no equivalent T6 Carrier for the KDF or RR.

As stated, by goodscotch, there could be KDF and RR ships that will be announced later. However, if there are such ships, then it is my opinion that the PR dropped the ball. If AoY KDF and RR ships do actually exist, then they should have made that information available along side with the Federation ships. Holding back such information would only irritate (at the very least) the player base that already feel they have been marginalized in the game.

Of course, if there are actually no AoY KDF and RR ships, then it is not a PR issue, but yet another development decision that has willfully neglected the two other factions in the game.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    Whats a PSA? A prostrate antigen test in STO? pig-2.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Perfectly Serious Antagonism

The bane of internet threads everywhere.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    nightken wrote: »

because:

What makes you conclude that?
    2. it meant we didn't get any standalone ships at all. everything is thrown in a pack with fed ships. the same can not be said for feds,

Uh. You can always buy them as a single ship?

Because they follow canon with the Klingon Empire and the Romulans eventually joining the Federation in some distant future? Or because Klingons get a decent title at endgame, while every other faction has this "Admiral" nonsense going on?

Those three reasons seem a bit... summoned out of the air, if you get my meaning.

1. the fact the newest ship has exactly zero kdf or rom only ships. and no allowing us to use two fed ships don't make it better, it's just insulting.

2. yes, and this changes nothing. this doesn't magical make them no longer an afterthought. feds havea few more ships is acceptable. enforcing not only limited ships but limit play styles on everyone except the oh so special feds is not.

3. no but the fact even kdf and rom who are NOT PART of cryptic's little union for some reason are talking acting like feds, by kahless I am a dahar master of the klingon empire what do I care about starfleet's prime directive and why is this coward Kagran acting like I should. more so we it's just us klingons and one romulan who in favor of killing them all.

there only "summoned out of the air" if your trying hard not to see them.

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

B)

Thank You!
    LOL...for a minute I thought we could get free prostrate antigen tests (PSA's) here in STO. At least for the male toons. Who can keep up with all of these acronyms...pig-26.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    edited May 2016

because:

What makes you conclude that?

Uh. You can always buy them as a single ship?

Because they follow canon with the Klingon Empire and the Romulans eventually joining the Federation in some distant future? Or because Klingons get a decent title at endgame, while every other faction has this "Admiral" nonsense going on?

Those three reasons seem a bit... summoned out of the air, if you get my meaning.

1. the fact the newest ship has exactly zero kdf or rom only ships. and no allowing us to use two fed ships don't make it better, it's just insulting.

2. yes, and this changes nothing. this doesn't magical make them no longer an afterthought. feds havea few more ships is acceptable. enforcing not only limited ships but limit play styles on everyone except the oh so special feds is not.

3. no but the fact even kdf and rom who are NOT PART of cryptic's little union for some reason are talking acting like feds, by kahless I am a dahar master of the klingon empire what do I care about starfleet's prime directive and why is this coward Kagran acting like I should. more so we it's just us klingons and one romulan who in favor of killing them all.

there only "summoned out of the air" if your trying hard not to see them.

Perhaps you should consider playing this game instead...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Klingon

B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    storules wrote: »

B)

Thank You!
    LOL...for a minute I thought we could get free prostrate antigen tests (PSA's) here in STO. At least for the male toons. Who can keep up with all of these acronyms...pig-26.gif​​
    Actually, it's Public Service Announcement. ;)

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Heh...
    I was being very much facetious.
    >:)
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276

Uh. You are confusing something here. The ships in the TOS pack are for the TOS faction. Not the Federation faction.

''TOS faction'' this or that those ships will be usable by all federation characters. KDF & RR will get their own faction specific ships with this new temporal spec/mechanic probably later down the road. This game just like the shows are mostly about the federation while other sides are secondary.

''TOS faction'' this or that those ships will be usable by all federation characters. KDF & RR will get their own faction specific ships with this new temporal spec/mechanic probably later down the road. This game just like the shows are mostly about the federation while other sides are secondary.

that is very unlikely, as in has never happened before. they never release fully spec ships after the first group and the already given the token cross faction ships.

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Never give up! Never surrender!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    If you're a fed-romulan you can use 7/11 of the ships.

Cryptic has stated making single ships for KDF or ROM (17% and 13% of the player base respectively) is highly unprofitable for them so making ship packs is the best way to go so they can give everyone ships and still make the money they need. I would point out that many of these ship packs contain unique ships that aren't just copy and paste of each other, they are simply bundled together.

Sorry your special snowflake sensibilities are offended but this is just basic math, It is a compromise that has benefitted the two smaller factions GREATLY however. You should appreciate just how many more ships are made now for KDF and ROM since DR, it is a significant improvement.

The temporal ships are like the lockbox ones just from the C-Store and this is actually a really great idea because it allowed them to make a T6 science ship for you guys without risking a lot of money. If it weren't for those ships crossfaction nature you'd still be begging for a T6 science ship. When they see the sales numbers will determine if they ever make faction specific science ships again though, so buy the TRIBBLE out of the Eternal class.

Cryptic is really trying to compromise here between making people happy and making a profit. There is only so far they can go though, a little appreciation for the great strides they've made towards better faction treatment might inspire them to go even further. Constant whining and ungatefulness will not.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User

Feds still have a bigger selection of ships. plus Rommies still only have a basic amount of races you can make as a captain. Thats what happens when you have a rigid storyline for the faction I suppose, although to be fair this dosen't seem to affect the klingon story arc where everybody acts like your a klink no matter what.
    samt1996 wrote: »
    If you're a fed-romulan you can use 7/11 of the ships.

Cryptic has stated making single ships for KDF or ROM (17% and 13% of the player base respectively) is highly unprofitable for them so making ship packs is the best way to go so they can give everyone ships and still make the money they need. I would point out that many of these ship packs contain unique ships that aren't just copy and paste of each other, they are simply bundled together.

Sorry your special snowflake sensibilities are offended but this is just basic math, It is a compromise that has benefitted the two smaller factions GREATLY however. You should appreciate just how many more ships are made now for KDF and ROM since DR, it is a significant improvement.

The temporal ships are like the lockbox ones just from the C-Store and this is actually a really great idea because it allowed them to make a T6 science ship for you guys without risking a lot of money. If it weren't for those ships crossfaction nature you'd still be begging for a T6 science ship. When they see the sales numbers will determine if they ever make faction specific science ships again though, so buy the TRIBBLE out of the Eternal class.

Cryptic is really trying to compromise here between making people happy and making a profit. There is only so far they can go though, a little appreciation for the great strides they've made towards better faction treatment might inspire them to go even further. Constant whining and ungatefulness will not.

The problem was caused by the fact that up until ther release of the the rommies, the klingons wasn't a real faction, any lack of interest by the players in these factions where seeded at release when the only real option was fed.
    That's been pointed out to be extremely faulty logic at best.
    That's been pointed out to be extremely faulty logic at best.

Really how?, if you haven't got content people won't play it, 2 species, the generic alien and a Liberated Borg Reman isn't a large roster of options for rommies to play with, they haven't even been allowed the joined Trill or Talaxian, they caved to the klingons with those, and ones an intelligent Federation species and the others a peace, loving, congenial species why either would join the KDF is beyond me, especially as at the beginning of the game Feds and KDFare at war.
    edited May 2016

Use of the term "special snowflake" cuts both ways though. Yes, there are players in the KDF and RR that wants things such as science ships (T5 in the past and currently T6), T6 carriers and costumes. However, on the Fed side, there were players asking for the Plasmonic Leech, carriers (which were originally exclusive to the KDF) and ships that can cloak beyond the canon ships depicted in TNG.

Based on the above, the KDF and Romulan factions are 0-3 while the Fed faction is 3-3. Sure the Fed faction has numbers behind them, but that does not change the meaning of "special snowflake".
    Don't discount lockbox and Lobi ships, they also use those to close the gaps. Especially on unprofitable ships like carriers, raiders and science ships.

They cannot make what will not sell, but I expect a lot more 3-packs this year so be patient.

And it is 2/3 they have a T6 science ship coming and KDF is getting massive costume revamps most of which was done by the costume developer ON HIS OWN TIME. They are trying their best, even making things off company time and they get nothing but whining and insults in return.
    Don't discount lockbox and Lobi ships, they also use those to close the gaps. Especially on unprofitable ships like carriers, raiders and science ships.

They cannot make what will not sell, but I expect a lot more 3-packs this year so be patient.

And it is 2/3 they have a T6 science ship coming and KDF is getting massive costume revamps most of which was done by the costume developer ON HIS OWN TIME. They are trying their best, even making things off company time and they get nothing but whining and insults in return.

it wasn't most of the kdf early mission done the same way? it seems to be a pattern and as I remember the thread about that was full of thank yous and this is awesome.

Sure lock boxes and Lobi ships can file in the gap. But they are not perfect solutions because:

#1 - Those ships are not unlocked faction wide, they are locked to the specific captain that opens the box.

#2 - Those ships are pretty expensive. Not only is purchasing a C-Store T6 starship less expensive, it is also unlocked for the faction.

For example, prior to the announcement of AoY I was seriously considering purchasing the Paradox Science Dreadnought from the Exchange for something like 240 million EC since I do not have the 900 Lobi Crystals necessary to purchase it from the Lobi Store.

Let's say I want to use Lobi Crystals to purchase the ship. Assuming I have zero Crystals and each lock box I open rewards 8 Crystals, that means I need to open 112.5 lock boxes, but simply round that down to 110 lock boxes for simplicity. That basically means I need to purchase 11 Master Key 10-packs. Without any sale, that means I need to spend $123.75 for Master Keys to get the Lobi Crystals I need to purchase the Paradox from the Lobi Store. With the 15% sale discount on Master Keys the cost drops down to $105. That is more than 3x the price of a T6 ship from the C-Store; or more than 4x the price of the ship when there is a sale.

Fortunately, purchasing the ship from the Exchange is much less expensive based on the lowest price of the Paradox I saw last week of 240m EC. Assuming each master key sells for 4.7m EC, that means I would need to sell 51 Master Keys on the Exchange for 4.7m EC each. Rounding that down to 50 keys means purchasing 5 Master Key 10-Packs. That works $56.25 or $47.80. Less expensive than chasing after Lobi Crystals, but still more expensive than buying a T6 starship from the C-Store and also locked to a specific captain.

I will concede the point on the T6 science ship, I only hope that it does not use the exact same skin for all three factions. If I is then I think I would rather Cryptic give me the option to purchase the T6 Long Range Science Vessel from the C-Store for both my KDF and Romulan science captains.

Regarding costumes, do you know if they are canon costumes that are from the movies / TV shows or just "generic" new costumes made available for the KDF? While "generic" new costumes are nice, I rather have canon ones that can be purchased from the C-Store.

As stated by goodscotch, at this point it is a wait an see game. The PR dept will release more info soon enough...
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Gecko just stated in the latest priority one podcast that klinks and roms aint gettin much of anything in this expansion
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    edited May 2016
    That's not entirely true.
    They are getting stuff, just not Faction Specific stuff.
    And they will still be able to play all the new missions and whatnot added to the game.

He said that the Klingons and the Romulans are not members of the Federation in 2270 (when this expansion takes place) so it doesn't make any sense for them to be included beyond the Time Travel aspects of it.
    B)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    That's not entirely true.
    They are getting stuff, just not Faction Specific stuff.
    And they will still be able to play all the new missions and whatnot added to the game.

He said that the Klingons and the Romulans are not members of the Federation in 2270 (when this expansion takes place) so it doesn't make any sense for them to be included beyond the Time Travel aspects of it.
    B)

Thats why I said "aint gettin much" instead of "nothing"
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    Well that pretty much goes for all factions really as TOS is its own faction. The only benefit FED has is a few ships, everything else is for TOS.