test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Season 11.5 Coming April 12th!

Comments

• daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    It is the Ulnar ! We are going into the Void. 00:18
    The trailer feels like Star Craft
    Into the Void cinematic
    the music especialy
    My grind for dilithium!

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The whole idea of making 150 year old ships up to class with new ships of the line is really ridiculous. No navy would even consider doing it to 50 year old ships. It's just not possible or practical.
    That would mean getting rid of all other older Starships we know and like and want to command like we are the series real Captain? Star Trek we know and love would be gone and Starships age alot slower in space anyway!!! Refits and upgrades to Starships are very likely due to always strinking tech advances just look at all the newer small ships. If a shell design works and is popular why stop using it or reuse it. A starship can hold anything you choose tech wise in that shell design as long as you have the room and the game never uses or puts all the tech/weapons any starship can hold anyway.
    Post edited by captainknight88 on
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    To all TOS fans voice your wants they are reading what we write for info and ideas, just looking at the last live stream told us that they are, but everything takes time. Plus, let them know about mistakes or errors in game that need to be fixed when they do any and all updates. I have found a number of stories with errors, even with or because of upgrades or retelling of stories to update them to match current stories. One big change needed is the Romulan republic and Romulan Star Empire still not a true third faction. What about factions for Delta and Gamma Quadants being built? How about just do beaming up and down to Star bases being we never ever really dock anywhere in game anyway? Stop the asking to dock everytime TRIBBLE and double load up screens needed. Note that on the Klingon home world there is 3 or 4 choices to beam up or over. Why can we not fly through the whole solar system and go into a standard orbit cut away scene of a key planet or planets, like Earth/space dock and Mars colony and Jupiter Station/shipyard that is more true to the shows?

There are certain bits of...flavor, that are needed. Standard Orbit for instance. I know they've been trying to figure out how to do a special launch sequence for newly acquired ships, and I'm all in on it. A new starship should be a big event.

A faction. In the Delta or Gamma Quadrant... Well the only Gamma Quadrant faction worth having is the Dominion.

I think what we need is a way for new aliens to have unique paths into the factions we already have. For instance, start as a Kobali during the Vaadwaur assault and follow their journey to Earth, Qo'nos, or New Romulus to join whichever faction they choose. Or a Talaxian who survived the double cross on their asteroid.

I think the only species truly developed enough for their own faction remaining are the Cardassians and the Ferengi. The Ferengi of course could only work with a unique style of gameplay. But we probably need new styles of primary gameplay.

And we need exploration.
    The whole idea of making 150 year old ships up to class with new ships of the line is really ridiculous. No navy would even consider doing it to 50 year old ships. It's just not possible or practical.

I know players want it, but really are there any just lying around to upgrade? And if not, why the heck would they make a new ship of the line out of a old design?

We've already seen starship scrap yards where older vessels lie in repose.

Plainly if you look at it from a real world perspective we can see where the break is. 150 years ago we had only begun operating in an ironclad world, and steam power was just coming into regular usage in warships. It was a new age. You can't just slap a modern nuclear reactor into a 1870s battleship, cut apart the hull to install cruise missiles and call it good. The ship's hulls were still mostly wood, it just wouldn't work, you'd be better served building a brand new ship.

On the same note, a Constitution class simply doesn't have the structural frame to support a Quantum Slipstream, or a transwarp drive. They were using Duranium for the frame, modern ships have Duranium-Tritanium mesh and Tetraburnium throughout the ship.
    That would mean getting rid of all other older Starships we know and like and want to command like we are the series real Captain? Star Trek we know and love would be gone and Starships age alot slower in space anyway!!! Refits and upgrades to Starship are very likely due to always strinking tech advances just look at all the newer small ships.

Well that's actually true. Starships have a design life built in. The Galaxy class is supposed to be in service for a century, from 2357. She just passed her halfway point. The Excelsior is probably similar, and she's also at 125. Also one of the Devs is in the tank for the Excelsior. The Constitution class starship is 175 years old. And she was rated for 50 years at best. The refit program turned out well, as they had to be rebuilt from scratch at 25 years. If you look at the performance of the Constitution refit compared to the Excelsior in the Battle of Khitomer, you will see the limit.

The fact is, that flying those classic starships is great for a hobbyist, a Captain with connections, or some rich businessman, just like there are people today who fly World War II fighter planes. But just like those old fighters, those classic starships will cease to be the state of the art. But they're no longer ships of the line.

Now there is the case of Klingon starships, where they constantly build new ships on old designs as a matter of pride. Though most of that is that the TNG era producers were to lazy or couldn't find the money to design a new Bird of Prey. That said, the Hegh'ta Bird of Prey (FOR TIER 6!!!!) is a John Eaves design that was designed for "The Way of the Warrior" but didn't make it in, so even Klingons don't use the same old designs forever. The K'Tinga was on it's last battle in the Dominion War.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    OMG! We've encountered the Thirdspace aliens!
    babylon108.jpg

Bring it on! If you thought the ships defending B5 were tough, ya ain't seen a Federation ship in action! And they have shields!

psh, bet my Warbirds kill more than your feddie bears :P
    Reminds me of...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh2tUipUnaI
    Looks like there'll be plenty for all to shoot. :p

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • firetrekkiefiretrekkie Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    What I would really like to see is on top of having to use the Dil Exchange for transferring Refined Dil. I would like to see a Dil Ore account bank similar to the EC account bank. That way it would make it easier and more effective to refine Dil, not to mention encourage players that have a lot of Ore to make more toons so they can refine more ore.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    Finally! T6 Connie! My wallet is ready to be opened as soon as the ship hits the C-Store.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfSzgV1q5g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKXiQzgbm0

Exactly! The T6 Connie would easily rake in more than enough cash for PWE also. I sure hope we finally get a T6 Connie!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited March 2016

I know players want it, but really are there any just lying around to upgrade? And if not, why the heck would they make a new ship of the line out of a old design?

Just FYI - The Galaxy Class is now over 50 years old (in game) - yet it has a T6 variant. Argument blown.

(Also the Excelsior Class - from STIII: The Search for Spock ALSO has a T6 variant - argument blown further.)

Oh, and please don't bring up the tired old 'breaks immersion' argument when we have Federation Captains flying Tholian Dreadnaughts (at T6) in game - thanks.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited March 2016
    If Connie should not have T6 upgrade why let the other older Starships get upgraded if they are too old? I agree Connie had weak spots, but I like the classic design, with a mix design of Exeter neck and pylons for the added strong design and Connie A Engineering design refit look to go with the original Connie design's smooth looking saucer and Terran Empire nacelles look to improve the design and make it stronger, faster, and more powerful.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    It'll either appear in the mission ... or as a joke ... We'll get to command a T6 Super connie for about 10 minutes.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • falgar86falgar86 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi from czech republic i search new guild in steam iam Novalis86662
  • gettorixgettorix Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    The portal it opened looked like the Na'khul's portal on Enterprise

It also looked like a hyperspace jump from Babylon 5. It's the Shadows!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gettorixgettorix Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    What begins as a peaceful summit quickly turns into chaos

You'd think we'd have learned our lesson by now. Avoid peaceful summits at all costs!

This. 1000%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Let us hope for the best!!!
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User

Just FYI - The Galaxy Class is now over 50 years old (in game) - yet it has a T6 variant. Argument blown.

(Also the Excelsior Class - from STIII: The Search for Spock ALSO has a T6 variant - argument blown further.)

Oh, and please don't bring up the tired old 'breaks immersion' argument when we have Federation Captains flying Tholian Dreadnaughts (at T6) in game - thanks.

You can blow arguments off as long as you want to. The fact is that the people who are arguing against the inclusion of the Connie at endgame have some valid points so it's down to a matter of opinion and not of consensus.

The most telling argument I can make is that the Constitution class simply does not fit in at endgame from an aesthetic point of view. It looks old. The style is much different from the ships Cryptic is currently churning out. If they did do it, it would look nothing like the original and people would be mad about it.

The only opinions that carry any weight are Cryptic's and CBS, and the whole idea has been ruled out from the very beginning in the plainest possible language. So there we are and until we hear otherwise that is the situation.

Ultimately, I don't care one way or the other. They put it in the trailer, at the very end, so they're obviously trying to create buzz about it on purpose. It's probably the only reason Trendy is allowing the endgame Connie discussion to keep going. Not because they're planning one, but because it creates some buzz around 11.5 that will involve the 1701 at some point.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    stobg2015 wrote: »

You can blow arguments off as long as you want to. The fact is that the people who are arguing against the inclusion of the Connie at endgame have some valid points so it's down to a matter of opinion and not of consensus.

The most telling argument I can make is that the Constitution class simply does not fit in at endgame from an aesthetic point of view. It looks old. The style is much different from the ships Cryptic is currently churning out. If they did do it, it would look nothing like the original and people would be mad about it.

The only opinions that carry any weight are Cryptic's and CBS, and the whole idea has been ruled out from the very beginning in the plainest possible language. So there we are and until we hear otherwise that is the situation.

Ultimately, I don't care one way or the other. They put it in the trailer, at the very end, so they're obviously trying to create buzz about it on purpose. It's probably the only reason Trendy is allowing the endgame Connie discussion to keep going. Not because they're planning one, but because it creates some buzz around 11.5 that will involve the 1701 at some point.

Opinions (and minds) change. from 2009-2015 CBS said 'No' to any and every new Star Trek series proposal. In 2016 that changed. STO has changed a LOT in 6 years, so who's to say they might not be open to now giving the players/fans that want it, a T6 TOS TV series era Constitution Class ship?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    T6 Miranda plz? Pretty plz!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yeah, the same is true of the antique T'Liss design. It has the same sort of aesthetic. It's available as the Romulan starter ship only.

Klingon ships, just don't look the same. The oldest from a RW POV is the D7 which was the only Klingon ship seen in TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User

Yeah, the same is true of the antique T'Liss design. It has the same sort of aesthetic. It's available as the Romulan starter ship only.

Klingon ships, just don't look the same. The oldest from a RW POV is the D7 which was the only Klingon ship seen in TOS.

If the game were to have excluded retrofits entirely and no T6 version of anything older, then there would be no reason to ask for Mirandas, Connies, T'lisses and so on.

But the fact of the matter is that older junk, that had no business being in the game in the first place (T'varos, Klingon Raptors and so on), is already here and to available to enjoy for ENT fans... at T5 and 6.

I (and others) are merely asking for equal treatment here.

The whole ENT over TOS thing makes no friggin sense. Last I checked, ENT was a prequel.

So what if ENT looked more modern than it should have? Looks shouldn't matter, its what's under the hood that does.

We are at a point where Cryptic throws in the most odd and random "aliens of the week" ships that sometimes had less than 10 seconds worth of screen time. To ask for the icons of the past, is therefore hardly silly.

Considering that TOS started the whole franchise, this game is treatingit like a school bully gank squad. I don't know if its Cryptic's or CBS's fault at this point. But whoever it is, has no good reason for this to go on anymore.

I got 30$ right here for whenever any of these get released. You want em? Then stop this ridicolous bias!
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
    edited March 2016

Your Argument Fails, the Galaxy is supposed to have a life span that lasts til 2457.

The Excelsior I agree on, but one of the ship devs loves the Excelsior more than anything so it gets by on bias.

Opinions (and minds) change. from 2009-2015 CBS said 'No' to any and every new Star Trek series proposal. In 2016 that changed. STO has changed a LOT in 6 years, so who's to say they might not be open to now giving the players/fans that want it, a T6 TOS TV series era Constitution Class ship?

That's a far and wide difference there.

Star Trek as a television show is a multiple times proven franchise on television, and anyone who knows has said repeatedly that it's at its best on television. It was only a matter of time. I'm fairly certain that CBS was trying to let the burnout of having 20 years of unabated Star Trek on television. With the 50th anniversary, now is certainly the time to revive the series as a television franchise.

As far as the Constitution in the game, it curiously follows a precedent. Consider the following.

With the exception of the TOS Films, JJ Trek, and "These are the Voyages" the series finale no one wanted as a barely recognizable wreck, and as models on the succeeding Enterprises, the Constitution class has not been featured once on Star Trek Television since the original series. Oh an Trials and Tribbleations, but that was going back to the Constitution's era. It was actually pulled several times it would've appeared.

I have no reason to believe that they're going to make an exception. CBS still has some respect for a bit of the canon logic, that a Constitution class is a museum ship, not a ship of the line. And before you say Miranda, first it's a younger class, second, both the Miranda and the NX, which is a rebuilt concept classic, are BOTH tier 1 ships. Not tier 5 or 6.
    T6 Miranda plz? Pretty plz!
    Oh for crying out loud.

Which was upgraded to the K'Tinga and even that isn't a top tier Klingon ship and hasn't been for 43 years game perspective and 26 years real world time.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User

I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you otherwise, since anything is technically possible.

I could point out that players have been asking for an endgame Constitution for years and the answer has remained a firm 'no' despite an obvious demand.

But sure, change is possible. I could even make a case that Starfleet designs a state-of-the-art starship meant to blend in for temporal missions in the TOS era and that there's never been a better rationale for it than there is now. Might as well upgun an NX to endgame status while we're at it.

Having stipulated that, could we please set the playable endgame Connie speculation aside unless they make a formal announcement? Speculation can be fun but I'd rather talk about the stuff we know is coming for sure.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

If the game were to have excluded retrofits entirely and no T6 version of anything older, then there would be no reason to ask for Mirandas, Connies, T'lisses and so on.

But the fact of the matter is that older junk, that had no business being in the game in the first place (T'varos, Klingon Raptors and so on), is already here and to available to enjoy for ENT fans... at T5 and 6.

The whole ENT over TOS thing makes no friggin sense. Last I checked, ENT was a prequel.

So what if ENT looked more modern than it should have? Looks shouldn't matter, its what's under the hood that does.

We are at a point where Cryptic throws in the most odd and random "aliens of the week" ships that sometimes had less than 10 seconds worth of screen time. To ask for the icons of the past, is therefore hardly silly.

Considering that TOS started the whole franchise, this game is treatingit like a school bully gank squad. I don't know if its Cryptic's or CBS's fault at this point. But whoever it is, has no good reason for this to go on anymore.

I got 30$ right here for whenever any of these get released. You want em? Then stop this ridicolous bias!
    It's not about anything in-universe. it's a marketing thing about brand recognition. your notions of equal treatment are irrelevant as things cannot be equal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    " Might as well upgun an NX to endgame status while we're at it."

I'd pay ZEN for an T6 NX with 4/3 and the speed of close to a Defiant! I know its an upside down Akira,, but the NX is still a GREAT looking ship!

As for T6 Connie... could this be the ULTIMATE Troll by cryptic? What if 5-5-16 Rolls around and a reskin appears for the T1 Connie? I estimate the forums would go from 0-warp 100 in 1.2 seconds...... it would be mildly amusing,, but VERY Trollish of Cryptic at the same time.

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman

I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you otherwise, since anything is technically possible.

I could point out that players have been asking for an endgame Constitution for years and the answer has remained a firm 'no' despite an obvious demand.

But sure, change is possible. I could even make a case that Starfleet designs a state-of-the-art starship meant to blend in for temporal missions in the TOS era and that there's never been a better rationale for it than there is now. Might as well upgun an NX to endgame status while we're at it.

Having stipulated that, could we please set the playable endgame Connie speculation aside unless they make a formal announcement? Speculation can be fun but I'd rather talk about the stuff we know is coming for sure.

That...would actually be a plausible reason. Well done. A lot better than the holo TRIBBLE we had to put up with dealing with Drake.

I'd pay ZEN for an T6 NX with 4/3 and the speed of close to a Defiant! I know its an upside down Akira,, but the NX is still a GREAT looking ship!

As for T6 Connie... could this be the ULTIMATE Troll by cryptic? What if 5-5-16 Rolls around and a reskin appears for the T1 Connie? I estimate the forums would go from 0-warp 100 in 1.2 seconds...... it would be mildly amusing,, but VERY Trollish of Cryptic at the same time.

Look man the only NX thing I want is a tier 2 of the refit NX-class that we were ROBBED of when they canceled the series.

https://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/nx_class_refit_by_admiral_horton-d70fw6k.png
    https://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/nx_refit_cam_07_r04.jpg
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User

Precisely.

Also, I was reading the observations by some that they thought the ship in the teaser was improved in some way? I think what is being seen is simply the same model we have always had. But seen with the best settings to make it seem more impressive. I can make my own ships Bussard Collectors look that nice with the right settings. IMO, the in-game model is overdue for an overhaul to match the canon restoration being done for the television model by the Smithsonian Institute. Assuming an Anniversary Edition TOS Constitution does come to us, there's plenty of time between now and May to render it anew.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    rattler2 wrote: »
    OMG! We've encountered the Thirdspace aliens!
    babylon108.jpg

Bring it on! If you thought the ships defending B5 were tough, ya ain't seen a Federation ship in action! And they have shields!

psh, bet my Warbirds kill more than your feddie bears :P
    Reminds me of...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh2tUipUnaI
    Looks like there'll be plenty for all to shoot. :p

Glad someone got it :smiley:

As for t6 connie, nah much as I love the Wrath of Khan era Enterprise, no I want the Excalibur/Exeter bumped to t6
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    So, when the T6 Connie doesn't come out for the 50th anniversary, what's the fallback rallying cry/magical date people will cling to as the prophesized event which will finally force CBS to relent and give the go ahead?

I mean, it's kind of like after the whole "the world will end in the year 2000" fizzled and so the date got quickly revised to 2012.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited March 2016

= "captaind3 Look man the only NX thing I want is a tier 2 of the refit NX-class that we were ROBBED of when they canceled the series.

https://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/nx_class_refit_by_admiral_horton-d70fw6k.png
    https://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/nx_refit_cam_07_r04.jpg" [/quote]

The Refit NX is an EPIC looking ship!!!!! I would start 5 more characters just to play that thing as long as possible!!!!!! Ever since the first " OFFICIAL" image showed up several years back that ship has been on my top 5 BEAUTIFUL StarShip designs EVER!

Not sure what happened to the QUOTED part of this,, but ^ is my comment and the links are someone elses.. newfangled technology and that....

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

They only favor Enterprise over TOS where non-Starfleet ships are concerned. Those had minimal screen time, so they get a pass. It isn't a bias on Cryptic's part, as far as I can tell, but word from the rights holders at CBS. Look at your last line and tell me which company, with all of that demand, would refuse to make a decent amount of money by fulfilling it out of sheer stubbornness? CBS, on the other hand, probably makes nothing off of ships sold in this game, so they can afford to hold to a principle.

Working from what we actually see in the game, I would speculate that it's more than just no endgame Constitutions in that rule, but instead nothing that appeared onscreen in TOS, and no Starfleet vessels definitely chronologically earlier than the Excelsior at endgame. The Constellation skin being available up to Fleet T5-U still fits this rule because we have no idea when they went into production.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Look man the only NX thing I want is a tier 2 of the refit NX-class that we were ROBBED of when they canceled the series.

https://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/nx_refit_cam_07_r04.jpg

O.O

I would've LOVED to see that beauty in action! The Earth-Romulan war, the birth of the Federation, all of it!

That's a lot of potentially good story untold. Down the drain.

:disappointed:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User

Not to mention Risian "luxury" boats, with SOLAR SAILS of all bloody things, which incidentally, happened to be more powerful than the Galaxy class (once the Federation's flagship!) up until just recently.

Yeah, immersion, she be broke fer some time now. :s
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif