Is STO canon

khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
it is covered by the CBS and paramout copyright
giphy.gif
Fear the Dominion

Is STO canon 99 votes

Yes Explain
20%
tls1970commanderkassynynikbobbydazlersmattjohnsonvaa3001sheldonlcooperrogue6800elric071deaftravis05gradiimarkhawkmantheillusivenmancaptainchaos66foxdrag0njohnnymo1metaliantsamt1996lapisexillisazurealli4nce 20 votes
No Explain
79%
ikonn#1068talonxvadmiralkirkf9thretxcbernatkberginsshpokskesselrunner#0768shurato2099dabelgravecaptainmal3alexraptorrhawku001xmustrumridcully0artan42hyplfleetadmiraltacocuchulainn74repetitiveepicvegeta50024 79 votes
Post edited by khan1000 on

Comments

• warehouse67warehouse67 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    No. STO is beams!.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,605 Arc User
    No Explain
    BFAW. FYI, the word you're looking for is canon with 1 'n'.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    No Explain
    No. Because, reasons.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I prefer dual beam banks..
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    No Explain
    By definition Canon is whatever is shown on the medium or big screens.

Basically the question makes no sense.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    No Explain
    STO is a Licensed product..... just like any of the novels....

Just because it's licensed does /not/ mean it is considered canon.

CBS flip-flops itself on whether or not STO is actually canon or not.

When not it's followed by the explanation that it is neither a film or television series, as such it is strictly non-canonical.

When STO is, it's never directly called canon, instead leaning toward a positive disposition of the product and stating enjoyment of it's ideas and concepts.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    No Explain
    STO is not a great piece of artillery or cannon. Whether it is canon or not, rests with CBS. If they say it is canon, it is canon. If they say no, then nope.jpeg.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No Explain
    Films, TV. That's it, the only canon. Not books, games, fanfiction, comics etc., film and TV alone.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    No Explain
    LeL :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    No Explain
    No, STO is even less canon than the books...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    No Explain
    What they all said.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    No Explain
    Bwaha ha ha. Oh wait, your serious. HAH hah hah hah! :D
    At best, CBS will steal an idea if it ever suits them, no more.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    No Explain
    No, for the same logic that armada, SFC, and voyager elite force, and the star wars books arent. Extended universe is rarely official
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    No, this game is not canon, and this poll has nothing to do with that fact.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yes Explain
    when star trek was made for tv and movies stories were written that contradicted other stories.
    alien, ships, weapons ect were made up differently for various episodes/movies.
    the same images of planets were often used to represent supposedly totally different planets especially in TOS.

basically what i am trying to say is just about everything was made up or changed around to fit any episode or movie script that was being played out at the time.

so now define canon, in my opinion canon is just about anything that seems to fit within an evolving and ever changing framework of - its mostly set in space and involves meeting various aliens , fighting battles and visiting strange new worlds even if those worlds are not always all that strange and quite often are not new at all as there are there is already a human colony who come from earth and are based there. or in other words just about anything the writer put in there to make up the story that was being told that day.

now tell me sto is not any different.

I am a die hard trekkie who grew up watching star trek from TOS onwards when it first aired in the uk, have a large star trek memorabilia collection and have visited many of the star trek conventions and met many of the stars.
    if I can except sto as canon I would think anybody could.

v3koew.jpg

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    No Explain
    (...)
    so now define canon, in my opinion (...)

Your opinion is irrelevant, the IP-holder's isn't (CBS/Paramount). And they officially define Star Trek canon as every piece shown on TV or the big screen (including TAS). Nothing else is canon by definition.
    shpoks wrote: »
    LeL :D

I LeLed pig-2.gif

EDIT: The poll makes no sense.

Answer No.

giphy.gif

Because.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2015
    Yes Explain
    so because I disagree with your view it is irrelevant.
    basically what your saying is - any game of star trek that does not feature aliens ships or planets that did not appear in one of the star trek episodes or movies is not canon, well....that kinda kills any chance of exploration and finding any strange new worlds or meeting any new types of aliens by your definition.

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    No Explain
    basically what your saying is - any game of star trek that does not feature aliens ships or planets that did not appear in one of the star trek episodes or movies is not canon, well....that kinda kills any chance of exploration and finding any strange new worlds or meeting any new types of aliens by your definition.

No... It is irrelevant because CBS said so... Hence you are wrong.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited October 2015
    No Explain

No, it's because you disagree with the IP-holder's view. They have the power to define canon. You and me don't.

And no, it doesn't mean that. Neither by my definition nor by the official definition.

EDIT: It does seem a little bit that you don't know what "canon" means or what it means for licensed works, at least this is what I get when you think non-canonical works cannot feature exploration content.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2015
    Yes Explain
    anazonda wrote: »

No... It is irrelevant because CBS said so... Hence you are wrong.

you really need to take a long slow read of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

I particularly like this passage from the page.

"Based on the amount of creative control Roddenberry exerted over the first seasons of Star Trek, some people argue that only Roddenberry-approved material should be considered canon.[25] Such an approach would eliminate from canon anything Roddenberry didn't like, as well as everything made after his death, including six movies and three TV series.

However, Roddenberry himself pre-emptively rebuked such an attitude. He had hoped that Star Trek would go on after his death.[26] As Star Trek was constantly improved by each following generation, he expected people to look back upon its humble beginnings as just that, the simple beginnings of something much bigger and better.[27] Roddenberry clearly never intended Star Trek to be limited to his work, but to include all the hopefully superior work of future generations."

edited October 2015
    No Explain
    you really need to take a long slow read of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

This article actually works against your argument if you have read it all. The small summary at the top is based on this article which says the only exception from the tv and movie rule are two novels that were supposed to be canon but weren't actually made into episodes and served as writer's guides for certain characters but technically, since they weren't actually shot, they still aren't canon. They probably share the technical manuals' state.

The "fluid" remark reads here as whenver someone on the writing staff of a new show or movie feels he or she wants to include non-canon elements and thus making them canon they can. The remark does not imply canon is some wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey entity everybody can change because he or she agrees or disagrees. EDIT: Unless the attitude of CBS/Paramount changes, of course.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    No Explain
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    No, STO is even less canon than the books...

It's the least canon of everything out there. Just like all Star Trek games, this is no different.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited October 2015
    Yes Explain
    it amazes me how you can bend and twist your interpretation of canon to fit or not fit, oh if it wasn't in the series or movies its not canon cbs say so but exploration which would involve going to planets and meeting aliens that were defiantly not in the movies or tv shows is fine.

there is absolutely no point in discussing this any further, you have your view and I will have mine, I don't particularly care if anybody considers sto canon or not, all I care about is I enjoy playing the game and at the end of the day that's all that really matters to me.

• orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    No Explain
    No, it's not part of the TV series canon.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No Explain
    angrytarg wrote: »
    EDIT: Unless the attitude of CBS/Paramount changes, of course.

And they have in the past. TAS. I doubt they will ever canonise anything other than the films or TV as they don't have full control over them.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    No Explain
    No it's not Canon. In my definition, Canon is provided by CBS/Paramount to the writers (ie the Star Trek writers bible). With the addition of TV and Movies.

So STO is no more canon than the Star Trek Vids on you tube. Including the ones by Roddenberry's son. Just because Nichelle Nicols, Tim Russ, Walter Koenig, or any other actor from the series shows up as their character doesn't make it canon.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    No Explain
    it amazes me how you can bend and twist your interpretation of canon to fit or not fit, oh if it wasn't in the series or movies its not canon cbs say so but exploration which would involve going to planets and meeting aliens that were defiantly not in the movies or tv shows is fine.

there is absolutely no point in discussing this any further, you have your view and I will have mine, I don't particularly care if anybody considers sto canon or not, all I care about is I enjoy playing the game and at the end of the day that's all that really matters to me.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you say does not make sense.

"if it wasn't in the series or movies its not canon cbs say so but exploration which would involve going to planets and meeting aliens that were defiantly not in the movies or tv shows is fine."

What is this supposed to mean? What is your point and why does it have something to do with CBS' definition of Star Trek canon?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It's actually a good thing STO *isn't* canon. While CBS still has to "approve" what Cryptic does, they probably get far more freedom with their storytelling than they would if CBS knew they were going to have to stick to STO's story for some future TV series. People get too butt-hurt when someone says something they like isn't canon, but canon doesn't really matter. All that really matters is if you enjoy it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It's really a moot question from a franchise management standpoint until something else comes along to directly contradict STO. And as another Sci-fi franchise has shown recently even when something's officially "canon" in the extended universe can be made not canon with the very next release.

I think it really just boils down to whether or not you believe STO. IE. when STO tells you "hey, there's Klingons attacking!" or "it's Neelix!" you take that statement and run with it or shrink back and question the very premise with which your little moment of gameplay is based. If you run with it, then whatever someone else (or any combination of people) says is irrelevant. They can't tell you what to believe (particularly when it comes to your entertainment.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!