test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO canon

124»

Comments

• shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    No Explain
    I voted "no" but honestly it was only in the strictest sense or whatever legal sense the book thumpers and the tv watchdogs would consider "canon". Perhaps one day when the CBS lawyers or whoever up top comes out and says that Star Trek Online is canon then fine. It really has no bearing on me and I can live with whatever goes on in STO being canon. As far as I am concerned this is just a continuation of the Star Trek Universe.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    ed9y5tZ.jpg

It does not matter if CBS, Paramount, the Pope or whoever else is behind it right now says it is canon. To me it doesnt feel canon. And that's because of what they've done with the ships...namely lockbox ships. For me there are other minor things like humans running around with ponytails or "epic beards" and grossly exaggerated character creation/alien customization but its mainly the ships. I threw up my hands in disgust and gave up on that issue a long time ago. They kinda dug themselves into a hole...because of the time and/or money players have invested into lockbox ships they cant really undo it. They should have never done non-canon ships in the first place.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    No Explain
    artan42 wrote: »
    He refers to never have travelled through a Transwarp conduit, not at transwarp.

I can't remember it, but I assumed it contradicted threshold and I thought I read it was intentionally done. Anyway, point is canon is full of nonsensical and contradictonary stuff. Threshold, Spock'sBrain, Borg Queen. Canonically you have to accept that and it's usually that the recent event outrules the previous or in some cases that "both is possible". As such I do accept the canonical existence of a Borg Queen, I have a "headcanon" explanation for her to rectify the error and I will never stop to hate those responsible for it. But I still accept what is canon and what's not, regardless of what I think of it. And I think that's a step some people can't take because they think "canon" is what they like (good) and non-canon is what they dislike (bad).

lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I play STO on a television, so it IS canon.
    :pensive:

Last year when I was using a PC monitor it wasn't canon.

You win the thread pig-23.gifpig-23.gifpig-23.gifpig-47.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No Explain
    angrytarg wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    He refers to never have travelled through a Transwarp conduit, not at transwarp.

I can't remember it, but I assumed it contradicted threshold and I thought I read it was intentionally done. Anyway, point is canon is full of nonsensical and contradictonary stuff. Threshold, Spock'sBrain, Borg Queen. Canonically you have to accept that and it's usually that the recent event outrules the previous or in some cases that "both is possible". As such I do accept the canonical existence of a Borg Queen, I have a "headcanon" explanation for her to rectify the error and I will never stop to hate those responsible for it. But I still accept what is canon and what's not, regardless of what I think of it. And I think that's a step some people can't take because they think "canon" is what they like (good) and non-canon is what they dislike (bad).

Oh, I agree, I just thought I'd point it out pig-3.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    No Explain
    No, CBS has said so. I like to look at it as more of an alternate reality like the reboot films. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just didn't happen in the Prime (TV) Universe.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    No.

This has been covered before. Star Trek canon has always been defined as what's shown on-screen. Only the movies and various TV series are canon. There's debate if the Animated series counts. Everything else is not.

This is not like Star Wars where they apparently count comics and other things.

Star Wars has NOTHING off-screen thats canon.

You are half right, and half wrong. The half right part is that anything off screen before Disney has been flushed. However, they have now said that everything they are making *post* Disney IS canon, and that includes, the movies, books, and video games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#Disney_acquisition.2C_canon_revision_and_Star_Wars_Legends

We'll leave the whole 'canon' argument to historians since Disney is setting a new precedent with including books and video games in canon where Paramount and others stick almost exclusively to the 'screen' for examples.

Regardless of how much they want to retconn out officially licensed sequals before the sale, I still hold that they are the 'official' sequals, and the post sale content is reboot trash.

What one company considers canon has absolutely nothing to do with any other company or franchise. The person who owns gets to decide; that's really all there is to it. Different companies own SW and Trek, so it's no surprise they decide different things. And you can think whatever you like, but at the end of the day the owner is right, not you.

Ya, because tomorrow what they tell you is canon today, may not be anymore.

BTW, Revan is female and Han shot first.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG