test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO canon

Comments

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    No Explain
    Nope, not canon. But it's a very good game and a great place to connect with Star Trek.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    No Explain
    The difference between "Soft-canon" and "Not-canon" is really just a term. And the fact that someone paid the ridiculous licensing fees for their fan-fiction.

In terms of "canon", STO, every single book or other game holds the exact same place as random fanfiction which depicts a sailor moon/Star Trek crossover. The authors of the first ones just paid a lot of money to market their works, no official canonical piece of work has to take anything into account what happens in them, though.

Canon becomes what is actively used in the official shows and movies - and cosnidring CBS doesn't want to make a new show or prime universe movie, probably ever again (speculation), Star Trek canon is at this point stale. Non-canonical works, licensed or not, can simply make up what they want, the events however only matter in the enclosed piece of work itself.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No Explain
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I know of only two games that are to be considered Grade A Official Canon:
    • Star Trek

The first takes place between the two reboot movies, and is technically referenced in Into Darkness when McCoy makes a comment about helping a Pregnant Gorn. Although we don't see it, during the part where Kirk and Spock are trying to get to a Gorn facility, McCoy says over the open channel that Sulu had stunned a Gorn, and it was pregnant. He helped deliver the baby Gorn.

No. Star Trek canon is still only the films and TV. The game is not canon. That game is not, whether it was referenced or not.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    No Explain
    heralds and a game designed by rappers with a desire for bling-bling ... art is for old and idiot people
    No Explain
    deokkent wrote: »
    First, you are not an authority on anything.

Really? Nothing? How on Earth would you know that?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    So... unless otherwise specified, I do not consider games to be official Canon.

What about Halo? :p

That's also a good example for how can be done differently. There, everything is canon. Books, comics, games, films, it all is overseen by and directed by a creative team. Things can still be self-contradictory (see. Halo Reach, may its name be forever glass) but there's no bickering about what is and is not part of the holy book of the franchise.

Star Trek could take the same approach, if a certain group of people decided to take things that way (as an evolving team once did for the ST TV show and movies), but for now it officially doesn't. But so what? The question probably shouldn't be whether or not something fits in the Fanonomicon but whether or not STO is a workable piece of fiction.

And it is. Yay!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Yes Explain
    So... unless otherwise specified, I do not consider games to be official Canon.

What about Halo? :p

That's also a good example for how can be done differently. There, everything is canon. Books, comics, games, films, it all is overseen by and directed by a creative team. Things can still be self-contradictory (see. Halo Reach, may its name be forever glass) but there's no bickering about what is and is not part of the holy book of the franchise.

Star Trek could take the same approach, if a certain group of people decided to take things that way (as an evolving team once did for the ST TV show and movies), but for now it officially doesn't. But so what? The question probably shouldn't be whether or not something fits in the Fanonomicon but whether or not STO is a workable piece of fiction.

And it is. Yay!
    This is why I like the approach taken by Marvel. They can tell whatever insane story they want and stick an alt-U number on it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    i don't understand why you still discuss the fact that STO is canon or not.
    Take a look around you (in game lol); a lot of a aliens ships are used by players, a lot of alien armors are used by players, same thing for the weapons; most of the stories are not well written (I did today again House Pegh; ludicrous) and couldn't be canon etc etc.

in STO now, I take what i want, and I skip the other things (I leave STFs, when there are herald ships). I stopped to hope for the best, and I play with the current stuff in game.

I'm not a star trek fan (even if I have seen all the tv shows and the films), so I can't imagine the frustation of the real fans; I just hope that there will never be MMO games based on Farscape.
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Yes Explain
    It is to me and I don't care even a bit what other people think.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    No Explain
    I stand by my remark from earlier - I think (and this is not meant judgemental, mind you!) that many people have no idea what "canon" even is supposed to mean and think saying "not canon" means "it's bad" or something like that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I consider the notion of "canon" in any fictional universe to be a ridiculous concept, cooked up to provide material for endless battles between raging nerds and basement dwellers.

The whole "onscreen only" deal is a rule of thumb to keep things tidy when discussing Trek, not TRIBBLE holy writ. I consider any valid source material (such as that provided from the people who actually worked on the damned shows/movies) to carry as much weight as what was shown on-screen.

And for the record, I'm not contradicting myself here. I'm mostly referring to "points of reference" when discussing Trek and it's stories. Not some vague and nebulous notion of "canon".
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    and i suppose by what SOME ppl think, the 2 cgi smurf movies would/would not be canon to the smurf universe....( i have no opinion on this btw )​​
    Yes Explain
    I consider the notion of "canon" in any fictional universe to be a ridiculous concept, cooked up to provide material for endless battles between raging nerds and basement dwellers.

The whole "onscreen only" deal is a rule of thumb to keep things tidy when discussing Trek, not TRIBBLE holy writ. I consider any valid source material (such as that provided from the people who actually worked on the damned shows/movies) to carry as much weight as what was shown on-screen.

And for the record, I'm not contradicting myself here. I'm mostly referring to "points of reference" when discussing Trek and it's stories. Not some vague and nebulous notion of "canon".
    And this is why I like Marvel's approach. All officially licensed material is "canon" but may or may not be part of the main timeline.

The OP question would make a lot more sense if it was better worded. "Is this the official future of the prime universe?" that would have been a better question.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • metaliantmetaliant Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Yes Explain
    I am going to say yes and for these reasons.

1) When all the shows and films came around, few things just didn't/don't make sense, eg How the Klingons were different from TOS and the films and then the sequel shows, TNG, DS9, etc.
    2) If the 2 reboot films are canon, then why not the game which could be seen as an alternate universe similar to the films and in a way the Enterprise series.

I don't like the books as they are self contained stories and are just awful.
    OH MY GOD THEY KILLED JIM KIRK
    YOU TRIBBLE
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So what happens when the Hard Canon makes errors ?
    Like beaming up Scotty and Geordi in The Dyson Sphere episode TNG ?
    (They used Scotty's shuttle to keep the dyson spheres doors wedged open to allow the Enterprise to escape. The shuttle was using its shields at the time to keep the doors wedged open. Then the Enterprise swoops in and beams Scotty and Laforge off the shuttle and escaped the Dyson sphere ? No shields were lowered, they just got beamed up through the shields.

So can you, or can you not, transport people off a shielded ship, Canon says No, AND Yes.

Should we start omitting certain episodes that have made errors ?
    What is the CBS policy on this ?
    No one knows.
    Post edited by taylor1701d on
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    No Explain
    (...)
    So can you, or can you not, transport people off a shielded ship, Canon says No, AND Yes.
    (...)

While the issue in question indeed was a (acknowledged) mistake, it only is a real problem if you assume there's only one "switch" - on or off. It has been established, though, that there are multiple shield emitters and shields can drop independently from each other. While to my knowledge not officially corrected canon provides a loophole for this error to actually not be an error (it was one, as I said, even acknowledged one).

Other isntances were "corrected" on-screen. VOY's "Threshold" has been debunked in the same show: Tom Paris has a throw away line much later in the series which intentionally contradicts "Threshold". The reason for that is that those responisble for the episode inq uestion actually realized that it was bad and attempted to remove it from continuity.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)
    (...)

While the issue in question indeed was a (acknowledged) mistake, it only is a real problem if you assume there's only one "switch" - on or off. It has been established, though, that there are multiple shield emitters and shields can drop independently from each other. While to my knowledge not officially corrected canon provides a loophole for this error to actually not be an error (it was one, as I said, even acknowledged one).

Other isntances were "corrected" on-screen. VOY's "Threshold" has been debunked in the same show: Tom Paris has a throw away line much later in the series which intentionally contradicts "Threshold". The reason for that is that those responisble for the episode inq uestion actually realized that it was bad and attempted to remove it from continuity.​​

Yeah I just head canon that they shut down the shields at the very last possible moment, letting the hull do the work for a very brief time, before being transported.

There's also another question, what happens when a long line of "Approved Canon" gets relegated to "Legends" status as seen in Star Wars. Where all the novels that followed the Jedi timeline were considered canon for a very long time, until Disney decided, they didn't fit with the story they wanted to tell.
    Personally that didn't bother me, but there was a lot of outrage over that.
    Selling novels to the public for years, as "Lucas Approved Canon" ...only to then dismiss them when the need suited them.
    In that regard, I can see why some fans would be upset by that flip flop.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited November 2015
    No Explain
    Yeah I just head canon that they shut down the shields at the very last possible moment, letting the hull do the work for a very brief time, before being transported.

There's also another question, what happens when a long line of "Approved Canon" gets relegated to "Legends" status as seen in Star Wars. Where all the novels that followed the Jedi timeline were considered canon for a very long time, until Disney decided, they didn't fit with the story they wanted to tell.
    Personally that didn't bother me, but there was a lot of outrage over that.
    Selling novels to the public for years, as "Lucas Approved Canon" ...only to then dismiss them when the need suited them.
    In that regard, I can see why some fans would be upset by that flip flop.

In Star Wars' case it happened because Lucas sold his works and has nothing to do with it anymore. Disney now holds the IP and they decided to change it. As with Star Trek's case, I understand perfectly that people might not like that - but it's fruitless to discuss that. The IP-holder owns the franchise and determines what is and is not canon and what happens in it. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Mind you, as with Star Trek, just because the old works are now "legends" or non-canon doesn't mean they suddenly are bad or anything.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • evilito8evilito8 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    No Explain
    Depends on which universe you think is canon. Prime, JJ Abrams, STO. Different time lines. STO can be considered the Groundhog timeline. Events just repeat over and over again lol. Purist consider Films and TV canon and the rest soft canon. Look at what happened to Star Wars, that is now only Disney canon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Seven of Eleven
    "live long enough to be assimilated, resistance is futile"
    No Explain
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Other isntances were "corrected" on-screen. VOY's "Threshold" has been debunked in the same show: Tom Paris has a throw away line much later in the series which intentionally contradicts "Threshold". The reason for that is that those responisble for the episode inq uestion actually realized that it was bad and attempted to remove it from continuity.

He refers to never have travelled through a Transwarp conduit, not at transwarp.​​

#TASforSTO

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    I play STO on a television, so it IS canon.
    :pensive:

Last year when I was using a PC monitor it wasn't canon.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    No Explain
    No.

This has been covered before. Star Trek canon has always been defined as what's shown on-screen. Only the movies and various TV series are canon. There's debate if the Animated series counts. Everything else is not.

This is not like Star Wars where they apparently count comics and other things.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    No.

This has been covered before. Star Trek canon has always been defined as what's shown on-screen. Only the movies and various TV series are canon. There's debate if the Animated series counts. Everything else is not.

Star Wars has NOTHING off-screen thats canon. It's all been 'flushed' as of Disney's buy-out of Lucas. It's quite possible all the previous movies are no longer canon.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    No.

Star Wars has NOTHING off-screen thats canon.

You are half right, and half wrong. The half right part is that anything off screen before Disney has been flushed. However, they have now said that everything they are making *post* Disney IS canon, and that includes, the movies, books, and video games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#Disney_acquisition.2C_canon_revision_and_Star_Wars_Legends

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    No Explain
    I view STO to be as Canon as the books, so... Soft Canon at best. Unless events in the game are directly referenced in a new Prime Universe story, it will remain as canon as the old Thrawn Trilogy for Star Wars.

I know of only two games that are to be considered Grade A Official Canon:
    • Star Trek
    • Aliens: Colonial Marines

A Matrix video game was referenced by The Animatrix and Matrix 2. It helps that they were all planned at the same time by the directors of the series.
    No.

You are half right, and half wrong. The half right part is that anything off screen before Disney has been flushed. However, they have now said that everything they are making *post* Disney IS canon, and that includes, the movies, books, and video games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#Disney_acquisition.2C_canon_revision_and_Star_Wars_Legends

We'll leave the whole 'canon' argument to historians since Disney is setting a new precedent with including books and video games in canon where Paramount and others stick almost exclusively to the 'screen' for examples.

Regardless of how much they want to retconn out officially licensed sequals before the sale, I still hold that they are the 'official' sequals, and the post sale content is reboot trash.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Yes Explain
    So what happens when the Hard Cannon makes errors ?
    (They used Scotty's shuttle to keep the dyson spheres doors wedged open to allow the Enterprise to escape. The shuttle was using its shields at the time to keep the doors wedged open. Then the Enterprise swoops in and beams Scotty and Laforge off the shuttle and escaped the Dyson sphere ? No shields were lowered, they just got beamed up through the shields.

No one knows.
    My head-canon for that particular scene is that, like energy weapons, a transporter can be modulated to bypass a shield if the frequency is known. This can't be used in combat because weapons fire hitting the shield forces it out of modulation temporarily.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    No.

We'll leave the whole 'canon' argument to historians since Disney is setting a new precedent with including books and video games in canon where Paramount and others stick almost exclusively to the 'screen' for examples.

Regardless of how much they want to retconn out officially licensed sequals before the sale, I still hold that they are the 'official' sequals, and the post sale content is reboot trash.

What one company considers canon has absolutely nothing to do with any other company or franchise. The person who owns gets to decide; that's really all there is to it. Different companies own SW and Trek, so it's no surprise they decide different things. And you can think whatever you like, but at the end of the day the owner is right, not you.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    So what happens when the Hard Cannon makes errors ?

No one knows.
    My head-canon for that particular scene is that, like energy weapons, a transporter can be modulated to bypass a shield if the frequency is known. This can't be used in combat because weapons fire hitting the shield forces it out of modulation temporarily.

Wait, the point of discussion for that episode is beaming through shields, not the fact that Scotty still thinks Kirk is alive?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I'm surprised that no-one has brought up the actual reason as to why all licensed works (IE: non-TV/movie) are strictly non-canon, and the reason isn't exactly a secret.

Shortly into TNG's run, Paramount's lawyers advised the studio to make sure that their writers never used any story ideas that did not originate with them, as they were concerned about the authors coming after them for royalties for it. I think this might have been triggered by the appearance of an Orion ship in an onscreen graphic that was produced for the FASA RPG -- something that Paramount itself didn't have the rights to. Since then, all licensed works (including STO) are not only non-canon, they are also a sort of anti-canon: because of Paramount's (and thus now CBS's) internal rules, none of the ideas/images/stories/etc. seen here, or elsewhere, can ever be used in a Star Trek television show or movie, and thus can never be canon.

Needless to say, this has created problems, since mistakes and bad decisions made by the show's writers are annoyingly permanent, and good stories from licensed works can never truely be part of the fold. The story in 2009's 'Star Trek', for example, would have made a lot more sense if the backstory from the 'Countdown' prequel comic could have been referenced when Spock was explaining Nero's backstory, but since it was in a book, they couldn't touch it...
    I have no doubt that's true, and I'm not a lawyer... But how come STO can use stuff from novels then, like Diane Duane's Vulcan/Romulan lore and language?