Options

Buff Nullifiers

12346»

Comments

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Opinions about 'party amps' aside (as that topic is an FCT violation), I have been thinking about the client-side opt-out of visuals suggested for nullifiers. And I'm certain that I can't offer any valid arguments against asking for it aside from:

1. Its implementation could create bugs.
    2. It might not positively effect enough players to justify its expense (Dev time costs Cryptic money, which they may be unwilling to part with much for a QoL feature which would only affect a small number of players at any given time).

Still, without any ACTUAL knowledge of the gfx/sfx rendering code, it would be foolish to assume that any change would automatically result in more bugs.

So, without making any assumptions all we can do is ask the Devs if they could look into the code and see if it could be done without too much trouble.

That's not an unreasonable request, is it?

Well, yeah. Things are often times bugged when they're first released. Every season/expansion people beg the devs to push back the release a little because stuff seems too buggy and/or unfinished but it goes live anyway. Though, they have been getting better at releasing less buggy featured episodes and lately fixing more and more bugs in the game with their bug squashing initiative. I have faith they would take care of any issues.

I like the OP's idea about there being a way not to see or hear the you-know-whats. It would prevent future uprisings if the bug came back or a new bug were to arise. (Hopefully if they get bugged again a dev doesn't tell people how to do it 'cause he thinks its funny people get annoyed by it.)

As far as the FCT goes, *shrugs*. I'm surprised this thread is still open. It seems as though the forums aren't being moderated much since the forum maintenance. It's possible they are having issues with that. Heck, some signature pics are way too big and some are extremely huge. It's why I removed mine. :s
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    Also... its the weekend now, so with our luck unless Trendy or askray decide to pop onto the forums, this WILL stay open until Monday.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    1f9d1906ac.png

Problem solved, and you don't even need to waste dev time!
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • Options
    grimrak1 wrote: »
    1f9d1906ac.png

Problem solved, and you don't even need to waste dev time!

Turning the graphics down doesn't solve the problem. At best it would reduce the intensity of the disco balls while making the entire game look bad. What we're asking for is a way not to see them in the first place, a way to opt-out of it.

As far as this being a waste of developer's time, that's for them to decide. Some people think it's a waste of their time to make new ships to sell in the c-store instead of giving us new content, but they do it anyway because they think their time is worthy of it.

Is that the reason why you are so adamantly opposed to the OP's idea in this thread?

What the OP is suggesting is a way for those of us who don't want to see the disco balls can have them hidden in some way, while those who do want to see them still can. It would have no impact on your fun and I fail to see any drawbacks to it, other then any bugs that might crop up which I feel Cryptic would be able to work out in a timely manner.

What I would like from you is an honest opinion as to why you don't want this to be implemented.

If you like the disco balls, how will other players choosing not to see them affect your fun with them?
  • Options
    Another way to look at it is beneficial to players who just want to enjoy the disco balls when they aren't trying to annoy players.

I have seen it happen before where someone screams at a player for using the disco ball. If players who don't like them don't have to see them they won't scream at people who enjoy them and are just minding their own business.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Umm, wow @monkeybone13, that is a couple of the most persuasive, tactful, and inoffensive comments I've seen in a long time. Nicely done.

And I have to agree, a client-side opt-out would have no affect on people who use 'party amps' (except for those who use them to annoy, then they'd be less effective), and could potentially save a few arguments both in-game and on the forums.

It'd be hard to complain about something being an eyesore if you can't see it! lol

More importantly it would effectively 'remove' the 'party amps' from the game for the users of nullifiers, which is what many people have asked for in the past. This would be the 'best of both worlds' (pardon the pun) as it WOULD remove them for users of the nullifier, while 'party amp' users would still have them and be able to enjoy them.

Win/Win, yes?

The only determining factor as to whether this is feasable or not is how much time/effort it would take to implement, and if Cryptic determines that it would be worth the expense (or not). Which only the Devs/producers can make that call.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just want to say I'm sorry for the way I've been acting lately. This stupid heat and humidity is getting to me. :'(

I do still think the OP's suggestion is a good idea and may benefit a lot of players.