test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, to be clear, we will NOT be using our "inactive ships" in the Admiralty system(?)

Comments

• Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    So...

Somewhat off-topic...has anyone thought about how 'un-Trek' this new system is? Where in any movie or series did we see a main 'hero' character start ordering around a gaggle of ships to do mundane duties on an episode by episode regular basis? Even Kirk (who hated being a Admiral) never did this on screen. Ah, well. Just one more, "We're going to cram Admiral down your throat. Better start liking it." game mechanic.

Back on-topic...I think the poster above had it right. You 'buy into' the Admiralty system with your unused ships. Any inactive ship you have generates a 'generic' Admiralty ship of the same type that you can use in the new 'DOff-like' system. So in essence, you are using your inactive ships, albeit not directly. (At least that the way it comes across to me.)
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    Not necessarily. But I do think it is "problematic" to advertise the system incorrectly, which creates false expectations for people who do not scour social media and find the quotes I provided.

False or misleading advertising is nothing new just about anywhere (doesn't make it right, just there's always "spin"). My biggest problem is that this is likely intended to compel buying every ship in the store - even if you don't want it and will never use it. I'll bet there will be missions that only have a decent chance to succeed if you use a T6 pilot ship, or a T6 battle cruiser, and so on.

You may never in your life have any interest in using those ships, but you better buy them anyway (for the price of another game, mind you) to get the card you can play in the doff mini-game.

I truly hope I'm wrong and it's not that blatant of a cash grab, but...

Meanwhile, how will all of the different types of ships be accounted for? Lockbox, Lobi store, events, even the freebie ships you get as you level up - do those count as "unlocked" for a character? For an account? What if you discharge one?
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    spockout1 wrote: »
    The inherent problem is "the Admiralty." Who wants to be an Admiral? Sure, you can boss people around. You can make that Captain get you a cup of coffee because you said so. You can scare Ensigns and ordinary crewmen with your mere presence. You can attend a lot of meetings, testify to the Federation Council, and make important decisions about how much sexual harassment training each starship crew must receive per fiscal year.

No, everybody wants to be The Captain.

Depends on what kind of admiral, though the admirals we see flying around in game should really be rear admirals, or vice admirals at the MOST. In my fanfics there are two commanding admirals of the fleet I imagine my characters to be in. One is NOT one of my toons, and he commands the fleet from his starbase and does the desk job. The other is one of my toons acts as a "field admiral," actually being present on the battlefield to command large fleet maneuvers from his Vesta (another thing "justifying" an admiral in command, given that IRL we do see admirals command aircraft carriers). Admiral Berat's job is pretty neat, IMO, kind of the best of both worlds--fleetwide responsibilities but not tied to a desk all the time.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Expectations before receiving information: Using unused ships as a team in missions! zomg. Reality after receiving information: Click, Click, and Click and wait 24 hours. yay? Talk about missing the mark.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This news hasn't changed anything for me. I'm still hopeful about the admiralty system. Doffing is just mouse clicks anyway. I don't care if the "doff version" of my ship has the name I gave it or not. It doesn't change the core experience of ship doffing.

To be clear, Im not saying the system won't be good(I have no idea). I'm simply saying it sounds like it is not actually what we were told, because we aren't actually using our inactive ships at all.

So in other words good news OP! It was either a “Try to get as many good ships as you can” vs. a “Try to get as many good ships as you can AND upgrade their stuff to MK14 epic” thingy. I personally go for the first one there especially because it would not interfere with the load out system either.

We will likely get…
    You know what I predict...

Lockbox/Lobi ships = Epic/Ultra rare
    Event/T6 c-store= Very Rare
    C-store Ships (by tier) = Blue, Green, White.

I'm not amused.

… which is far better then the alternative. Getting ships is worlds easier in STO than outfitting them with decent gear. It should also give us the opportunity to still make flexible use of our builds while otherwise most of our load outs would be on assignments when we need them in active play. Anybody who rearranges his active doffs and finds that most are on assignments knows what I’m talking about.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This news hasn't changed anything for me. I'm still hopeful about the admiralty system. Doffing is just mouse clicks anyway. I don't care if the "doff version" of my ship has the name I gave it or not. It doesn't change the core experience of ship doffing.

To be clear, Im not saying the system won't be good(I have no idea). I'm simply saying it sounds like it is not actually what we were told, because we aren't actually using our inactive ships at all.

So in other words good news OP! It was either a “Try to get as many good ships as you can” vs. a “Try to get as many good ships as you can AND upgrade their stuff to MK14 epic” thingy. I personally go for the first one there especially because it would not interfere with the load out system either.

It is neither "good news" or "bad news"; different people like different types of systems, and that is fine. Either way, we are not really using our inactive ships, as was advertised.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Either way, we are not really using our inactive ships, as was advertised.

Even that remains a matter of perspective. You keep on using them in form a game card you would not otherwise get. They are rudimentary, unified images of your “real” inactive ships. I don’t see any contradiction to the advertised text you highlighted. Just a chain of misinterpretation based on the very little information we have.

You command your boffs, you command your doffs. Same stuff here we just deal with another type of doffs.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Its a tenuous link at best to say "use your inactive starships". You are not "Using" your ship, you are using the playing card equivalent of it, which bears no resemblance to the actual build of the ship, the very soul of a ship to all captains.

All I see is an extension to the Doff system but with different rewards, that is tied to the ship slots, and thereby to the ship class in a specific slot. The monetisation for Cryptic comes from selling ship slots to support this mini-game (and of course selling ships to fill them).

Its not exactly how I interpreted it to be as described in the announcement.

However that all said we have scant details on this mini-game yet. It may turn out to be worthwhile through the rewards. It remains to be seen.

server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    I think what is being missed is that while C-Store ships will come with Admiralty ships, there will likely be cheaper Admiralty ship packs that only come with Admiralty ships. This is going to be like a new DOff system with its own UI where you have fewer DOffs per assignment. 1-3 ships. Like a higher stakes version of DOffing.

I think the marketing materials make this less clear but Borticus and Geko are fairly clear on what's being said.

It's like if every "special" BOff like the Lobi ones came with a Duty Officer of the same species. Every BOff coming with a DOff doesn't mean every DOff comes from a BOff.

It may even be that a Jem'Hadar attack ship or whatever will be an "uncommon card" in the Admiralty system but that owners of the JHAS playable ship just get one free.

I also suspect we'll be dealing with something similar to the Decipher card game where you have one card for a generic Galaxy Class ship (which you can have multiples of) and specialty cards for UNIQUE and SPECIFIC Galaxy Class ships like the U.S.S. Challenger.

And that you could theoretically have a roster of nothing but Galaxy class ships even though you can only have one playable one per tier.

Now, a Galaxy class ship that comes with a C-Store purchase is going to be unique so you don't dismiss and reclaim... and it won't be named after your ship because you can dismiss your ship and that would break the Admiralty card. (Although you could possibly name your inactive ship after the card it comes with in some cases.)
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Either way, we are not really using our inactive ships, as was advertised.

Even that remains a matter of perspective. You keep on using them in form a game card you would not otherwise get. They are rudimentary, unified images of your “real” inactive ships. I don’t see any contradiction to the advertised text you highlighted. Just a chain of misinterpretation based on the very little information we have.

You command your boffs, you command your doffs. Same stuff here we just deal with another type of doffs.

Except boffs and doffs are 2 completey different things, so suggesting or implying that they were the same would be wrong. Likewise, our actual inactive ships and the admiralty ships are two completely different things. We will *not* be sending our inactive ships on missions, like the blog said.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Hmm, so "Star Trek Trading Card Game Online"... too long of a name to actually use perhaps "Trek Cards Online", yeah that sounds better. :)

I'm not going to say that Trek Cards Online will be a bad thing, but at this rate I won't actually have to go out on missions at all. I could earn spec points, dilithium, credits, etc all from my desk at Earth Space Dock... anyone remember which floor my office is on?

Serisously though Thanks Nagus for compiling all this info together, the STO news feed has been more of a stream of commercials as of late. Lots of hype and not much actual info.

These kind of threads are most convienient for getting ACTUAL information about upcoming features.

Thank you.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    I think I can sum up the general feeling. What we wanted was Ship Boffs, what we got was Ship Doffs... well, there's always Season 12!
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    "Lockbox/Lobi ships = Epic/Ultra rare
    Event/T6 c-store= Very Rare
    C-store Ships (by tier) = Blue, Green, White."

Does this mean that a Dyson Science destroyer I got for free in-game is worth the same as the identical ship I bought from the Lobi store? I'm very skeptical of the "value" assigned to ships; for instance, the only ships I ever got from lock boxes were Mirror Universe versions. Do these get an Admiralty equivalent? If so, it would finally be a reason to keep them, since upgrades were never allowed for MU ships. By this assessment, Veteran ships should also be considered Epic/UR...?

I predict that this "system" will be a bid to increase the sales of character ship slots, so dismissed ships can be reclaimed in order to increase the available number of Admiralty ships. Will there be a purpose for a Miranda- or Rhode Island-class ship in the system? One could only hope so, otherwise the "system" would be pretty much one-dimensional.
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    some people are WAY too obsessed with mkXIV epic.... guess what you can do everything in endgame and even adv queues with mkXII rare... I will admit adv queues are a bit of a pita but it can be done, esp if you know how to use your ship right... Also when you arent obsessed with having just one ZOMG build you can have an entire roster of ships with different builds already pre-equipped

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    beraht wrote: »
    Back when the DOFF system was being developed, I suggested it be ships instead of crew. My first officer should be dealing with all the mundane crew assignments anyways. So even if it is just card-ships we send on missions, at least I would feel more like an admiral than I do sending a bartender on some random assignment.

No disagreement there. Sending other ships on missions is certainly an "Admiral" type thing to do. However, that is not my point. My point is that nothing unique about our actual ships matters in the Admiralty system. So in fact, we will not be using OUR inactive ships. We will be using a generic playing card that represents that type of ship, but not our actual ship with our actual gear.

Is that a really bad thing though?

Say you did send your actual ship on a mission to do Task X. Task X takes 48 hours to complete. Youre unable to move from your current ship over to that ship as long as its out doing Task X.

This way youre free to move your Flag from your ships youve spent time outfitting when you need them, want them to be used. And still able to deploy a playing card representative of that Ship out on a mission.

we don't yet know that for sure, even though the ship you send on a mission is not the actual ship but a playing card representative of that Ship we may still yet find that you cannot use ships while their playing card representative is on a mission.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Can I use ships I haven't unpacked yet? What happens if I send a ship on a mission, and then dismiss it? (Or will the system stop me?)
  • Options
    swamarian wrote: »
    Can I use ships I haven't unpacked yet? What happens if I send a ship on a mission, and then dismiss it? (Or will the system stop me?)

There has been no comment on that yet, that I have seen or heard.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    No disagreement there. Sending other ships on missions is certainly an "Admiral" type thing to do. However, that is not my point. My point is that nothing unique about our actual ships matters in the Admiralty system. So in fact, we will not be using OUR inactive ships. We will be using a generic playing card that represents that type of ship, but not our actual ship with our actual gear.
    so will these ship cards have the name of the Ship on them?

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    so will these ship cards have the name of the Ship on them?

Unknown. But if I had to guess, I would say no, because if they did then the system would have to be able update the doff card if we ever changed the ship's name in the future, and that sounds unlikely to me. But we'll see.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I am curious if there will be differing cards between "T5", "T5-U" and "FT5-U" ships? Will they simply make them green/blue/Purple?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    picard51picard51 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    The anti-gearing, grinds-on-grinds-on-grinds, argument doesn't really make sense to me. The system couldn't require mkXIII epic stuff given the number who wouldn't have that at the lower end admiral positions. If you're worried about gearing, just save the stuff you get from the rep boxes you already get. Use your stockpiled ones to do assignments the hour assignments to get more. If the unusable marks problem is as massive as it is, here's an easy fix. No additional painful grind. If you don't have the stuff you want, make it in the R&D system. Yeah, it takes resources but the doffing system and the STFs we do give those resources. If you can have some patience you don't even have to spend dil on it. The reason they aren't doing a geared system isn't because they know people would oppose the unnecessary grind, as there isn't one, it's as a money grab.
    It's seriously that simple. People don't pay for a lot of the service type products in the store so a marketing guy said, "Hey let's retool a system we already have and don't have to spend money to develop so that we can boost service purchases and ship purchases at the same time." It's all a marketing thing. Getting something for nothing is the ultimate success in business and guess what's happening here? They're just giving another reason to buy what they're selling, creating more demand for a product that's already on the shelves without having to spend any money on advertising. They can now sell old ships, new ships, and services to those intent on getting ahead in the system. It could've been good if it wasn't a money thing.
    I know that stuff like this is the price we pay for F2P but at this point I almost wish they had a subscription system like WoW does with the tokens. Just make the tokens purchasable with zen and make them expensive to the point that you have to spend real money or grind like crazy to stay in. Then they'll have a guranteed source of income since humans are inherently lazy, and they can start giving us real content not "Buy me! BUY ME! I'M SHINY" TRIBBLE. I like F2P a lot but the squandering of good ideas because they'd cost some money and time they need to pump out more shinies is starting to really get to me. They're going to run their product into the groud by making it all about the next thing they can sell.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    As I said before, it's content simulation instead of actual gameplay. Do people really log on and are excited about clicking three times and wait 48 hours until the timer runs out and then start over? -i like to be able to do the stuff those DOFFs and ship DOFFs do *myself*, not read text that tells me what I could be playing right now.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I think the marketing materials make this less clear but Borticus and Geko are fairly clear on what's being said.

It's like if every "special" BOff like the Lobi ones came with a Duty Officer of the same species. Every BOff coming with a DOff doesn't mean every DOff comes from a BOff.

It may even be that a Jem'Hadar attack ship or whatever will be an "uncommon card" in the Admiralty system but that owners of the JHAS playable ship just get one free.

I also suspect we'll be dealing with something similar to the Decipher card game where you have one card for a generic Galaxy Class ship (which you can have multiples of) and specialty cards for UNIQUE and SPECIFIC Galaxy Class ships like the U.S.S. Challenger.

And that you could theoretically have a roster of nothing but Galaxy class ships even though you can only have one playable one per tier.

Now, a Galaxy class ship that comes with a C-Store purchase is going to be unique so you don't dismiss and reclaim... and it won't be named after your ship because you can dismiss your ship and that would break the Admiralty card. (Although you could possibly name your inactive ship after the card it comes with in some cases.)

I think they kind of missed a big oppertunity on this system. What they should have did (though I will admit it would take a lot more work) is make both a DOFF system for starships, like they announced, *AND* a version that is "BOFFs in Space." The key would be that the ships are linked, so if you send it off on a mission, you can't also have it join you on a map. Then, scale the rewards for the DOFF like system to be good enough that you have a tough call between having the extra firepower following you around, or sending them on their own mission to get rewards. The "catch" being if you own enough ships (i.e. give Crypitic enough money) you have a fleet large enough to let you both work the DOFF system while having companions joining you in space combat.

• Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    As I said before, it's content simulation instead of actual gameplay. Do people really log on and are excited about clicking three times and wait 48 hours until the timer runs out and then start over? -i like to be able to do the stuff those DOFFs and ship DOFFs do *myself*, not read text that tells me what I could be playing right now.

I tend to agree. This is more like a pen and paper RPG or card game than an actual video game. Not that there is anything wrong with those types of games, because they are certainly fun. But for me personally, when I play a video game I want to be the one in control of the action, not just sitting and waiting for timers to expire.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    They're not sure what to do with shuttles.

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    It's probably going to be as similar to the Neverwinter "Gateway" game as possible, because Cryptic are not known for re-inventing wheels. In that system, companions from your collection can run through PnP style dungeons in a quest for the ultimate goal, which is loot(s) of some kind or other. You choose which to use as you proceed, and they become tapped out once you play them until you go through the entire roster. Then you can reuse them in a given scenario. The better your ships (and the more better ones that you possess), the easier it will be to proceed in the more difficult scenarios.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    some people are WAY too obsessed with mkXIV epic.... guess what you can do everything in endgame and even adv queues with mkXII rare... I will admit adv queues are a bit of a pita but it can be done, esp if you know how to use your ship right... Also when you arent obsessed with having just one ZOMG build you can have an entire roster of ships with different builds already pre-equipped

Advanced queues are not PITA with mk12's. I've soloed Advanced queues with mk12's. The only thing I've ever upgraded is the Iconian rep core (for [AMP]).

In fact I intentionally refuse to upgrade my gear because the game is already way too easy.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    And here I was hoping I'd get to assign my character-locked but otherwise unwanted BOffs to my old ships as Captains. I mean, Tovan and I have been through a lot together, but it's time he took the big chair. I'd like to put him in command of my old Tier I Warbird, along with Satra and Veril.

It's better than my old plan, which was to hope they somehow got skewered by a rhino or something.