test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, to be clear, we will NOT be using our "inactive ships" in the Admiralty system(?)

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
When the Admiralty system was first announced, we were told:

Take command of your inactive starships to complete dangerous assignments and gather exciting rewards, while advancing your influence in the Admiralty campaigns.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9488023-star-trek-online:-season-11-new-dawn

However, we have since gotten the following info:

• Owning a ship grants us an Admiralty version of that ship, which is like a doff.
  • Admiralty ships have no captain, crew, or gear.
  • Gearing up the actual ships in our inventory will *not* improve the Admiralty version.
  • One person's odyssey will be the same as another person's odyssey.
  • You can still play/fly your actual ship while it's Admiralty version is on a mission.

Here is the source for that info:

The last bullet point about still being able to fly your ship while the admiralty version is on a mission is from G&T's interview with Geko at vegas.

Getting to the point of this thread: am I just reading this all wrong, or is this system being advertised..."incorrectly"...by saying that we will be using "our inactive ships"? Because according to the quotes above, we will *not* be using "our inactive ships" at all. Instead,

• We will be using is a generic doff/playing card that represents the type/class of ship we have.
  • Nothing unique about our actual ship(it's gear/stats/etc) will affect the admiralty system.
  • Furthermore, one person's ship will be the same as another person's ship(of that same tier/class/etc).

All of that said, let me be clear,

• I do NOT think anyone at Cryptic intentionally tried to make anyone believe something that wasn't true.
  • I am NOT judging the system or saying it will suck. It may be awesome, and I hope that it will be.
  • I am NOT saying this is a "big deal". This is a video game message board; nothing here is a "big deal".

However, the above facts show that admiralty ships are *not* actually our inactive ships. Therefore, calling the admiralty ships "our inactive ships" is incorrect, because they are fundamentally different things. And because they are different things, by calling admiralty ships "our inactive ships", it does give people a wrong impression about what the Admiralty system really is.

_________

PS: To clarify the difference between a playable ship and an admiralty ship, here is a simple analogy:

A playable ship is to an admiralty ship as a bridge officer is to a duty officer. How?

A bridge officer is a "real" character. They have their own skills and gear, both of which can be changed and modified, and we can take them with us on missions, and actually control them(give them orders and tell them where to go). On the other hand, a duty officer is just a playing card. There is no "gear". The only thing that really matters with them is the text on the card and the color(quality) of the card.

Likewise, a playable ship is a "real" ship that has it's own gear which we can modify, and we can actually take the ship out and fly it around. On the other hand, an admiralty ship is just a playing card. It has "no captain, crew, or gear", to quote Al Rivera. He also said that modifying/upgrading the inactive ships in our roster will *not* improve their stats in the Admiralty system. All that will matter is whatever text is on the card, and the color(quality) of the card.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Back when the DOFF system was being developed, I suggested it be ships instead of crew. My first officer should be dealing with all the mundane crew assignments anyways. So even if it is just card-ships we send on missions, at least I would feel more like an admiral than I do sending a bartender on some random assignment.
    6e5OTnq.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    beraht wrote: »
    Back when the DOFF system was being developed, I suggested it be ships instead of crew. My first officer should be dealing with all the mundane crew assignments anyways. So even if it is just card-ships we send on missions, at least I would feel more like an admiral than I do sending a bartender on some random assignment.

No disagreement there. Sending other ships on missions is certainly an "Admiral" type thing to do. However, that is not my point. My point is that nothing unique about our actual ships matters in the Admiralty system. So in fact, we will not be using OUR inactive ships. We will be using a generic playing card that represents that type of ship, but not our actual ship with our actual gear.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Yeah I'm not sure why they would bill it as taking command of our inactive starships when we really aren't doing that at all and just getting a doff like card. I mean I'm still looking forward to it, but I just don't think that was the right way for them to phrase it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User

No disagreement there. Sending other ships on missions is certainly an "Admiral" type thing to do. However, that is not my point. My point is that nothing unique about our actual ships matters in the Admiralty system. So in fact, we will not be using OUR inactive ships. We will be using a generic playing card that represents that type of ship, but not our actual ship with our actual gear.

Is that a really bad thing though?

Say you did send your actual ship on a mission to do Task X. Task X takes 48 hours to complete. Youre unable to move from your current ship over to that ship as long as its out doing Task X.

This way youre free to move your Flag from your ships youve spent time outfitting when you need them, want them to be used. And still able to deploy a playing card representative of that Ship out on a mission.
    edited August 2015

Is that a really bad thing though?

Not necessarily. But I do think it is "problematic" to advertise the system incorrectly, which creates false expectations for people who do not scour social media and find the quotes I provided.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    i really like the doff game , i spend as much time on my doff's as any thing else , will they be expanding the whole doff system with this addition of doff ships too , i hope its not just a few little doff ships added on .
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I imagine they're trying to strike a balance between making them feel like your ships (presumably they use the name of your ship, as well as the class), and having the system require excessive micromanagement.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Remember, Cryptic is pretty terrible with PR. No surprise here.

It's a little disappointing, but I'm fine with this compromise...for now. Have to wait until more details emerge about the system.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You know what I predict...

Lockbox/Lobi ships = Epic/Ultra rare
    Event/T6 c-store= Very Rare
    C-store Ships (by tier) = Blue, Green, White.

I'm not amused.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    Seems like it should be your inactive ships and Boffs....then there is a trade off of sending your prized Boff on an admiralty mission, or keeping them onboard for combat.

Why create a whole other mini-game, when all we want is integration of a core crew that can be used in various ways....?
    vedauwoo wrote: »
    Seems like it should be your inactive ships and Boffs....then there is a trade off of sending your prized Boff on an admiralty mission, or keeping them onboard for combat.

Why create a whole other mini-game, when all we want is integration of a core crew that can be used in various ways....?

Well, I'm sure this doff type system will be much easier to create than what you suggest. And if that is the type of system they want to make, fine. My point is simply it seems like it is being advertised "incorrectly".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    It looks like we might be seeing Starship Packs coming in the near future similar to the DOFF packs. If we are lucky, we might be able to get buy some from the Fleet DOFF Store. I'm still on the fence about this. I can't wait to see if this will be something worth playing.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    You know what I predict...

Lockbox/Lobi ships = Epic/Ultra rare
    Event/T6 c-store= Very Rare
    C-store Ships (by tier) = Blue, Green, White.

I'm not amused.

Awesome . . . my Cell ship is going to rock.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    vedauwoo wrote: »

Well, I'm sure this doff type system will be much easier to create than what you suggest. And if that is the type of system they want to make, fine. My point is simply it seems like it is being advertised "incorrectly".

Indeed. I have a few ships sitting gathering dust simply because that now that I'm a FA, everything - EVERYTHING - I run into is gearing to be able to take me on in the Sovereign class ship I usually take out. I absolutely love the Constitution class, and the Defiant class....but they never see the light of day. I get creamed in them. I need my best ship to get by.

Upon initial reading of this proposal, I thought AWESOME. I'll be able to send these old birds out. Well......no.

Seems that we're getting a DOFFing system on top of a DOFFing system if I am reading all this correctly. That's fine if all you're looking to do is stockpile DC's and EC's. But this does nothing to further actual gameplay.

Like I said, IF i am reading this all right, then probably the new name for this season shouldn't be "New Dawn".

Should be "New Doff".
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    Any word yet on what the incentives are? I'll guess there is something to set it apart from the Doffing system?
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Think I've got it, each ship we have in our roster creates an Admiralty ship. So we have a reason to keep our old ship because the old ship keeps its double in the Admiralty system going.

Unfortunately the rarity tier system will ruin that concept. So they've got enough to plead misleading but accurate in a poorer system than we hoped for.
  • koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    Think I've got it, each ship we have in our roster creates an Admiralty ship. So we have a reason to keep our old ship because the old ship keeps its double in the Admiralty system going.

Unfortunately the rarity tier system will ruin that concept. So they've got enough to plead misleading but accurate in a poorer system than we hoped for.

Im hoping that its more like if you bought it, you instantly get a card for it. Because as it is, you cant have as many Ships in your Active Roster as you can have DOffs.

With all the Fed Ships I own. I could have a small Task Force. Of course not all of them are in the Active Roster....Many of them are just 'available' in the CStore.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Tragic: The Garnering comes to an MMO near you
    ashrod63 wrote: »

If by "double" you mean "generic representation without the unique equipment that makes the ship *our* ship", then yes that sounds right.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    This news hasn't changed anything for me. I'm still hopeful about the admiralty system. Doffing is just mouse clicks anyway. I don't care if the "doff version" of my ship has the name I gave it or not. It doesn't change the core experience of ship doffing.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Pikachu! I CHOOSE YOUUU!
    XzRTofz.gif
    This news hasn't changed anything for me. I'm still hopeful about the admiralty system. Doffing is just mouse clicks anyway. I don't care if the "doff version" of my ship has the name I gave it or not. It doesn't change the core experience of ship doffing.

To be clear, Im not saying the system won't be good(I have no idea). I'm simply saying it sounds like it is not actually what we were told, because we aren't actually using our inactive ships at all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

They had to know that being forced into upgrading our inactive ships would be the breaking point for a lot of people, so I am not sure what other options they left themselves with the dilithium monster they've created.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    However, we have since been told the following:
    • Owning a ship grants us an Admiralty ship.
    • Admiralty ships have no captain, crew, or gear.
    • Upgrading/modifying the ships in our inventory will *not* improve them in the Admiralty system.

That's as I expected, you get a 'card' for the ship and you play that on missions exactly like doffs are 'cards'. Cryptic can't tailor each card to how you outfit the ships in your space dock.

Now if they changed the Fleet Support power to have 2 of your parked ships come in as your assist, that could be cool.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I think its meant as Symbolically using our inactive ships, not literally.

Being able to use our ships, with unique gear on them, like a landing party in space, is unrealistic as it would require redoing all maps, amoung a ton of other stuff.

But perhaps in the future they will give us Admiralty Equiptment, so that when you pick an Admiralty Ship, you can choose Admiralty Equiptment to use during the same assignment.
    Added a new quote to the OP:

Further clarification that Admiralty ships are *not* unique, and are generic.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User

So no incentive to gear a ship. No incentive to earn it's Masteries. No customizing. No naming. Nothing about it is our ship. It's just a card you stuff into a machine in hopes that a prize will pop out.

So either this is a "bonus feature" to a ship purchase, just some nice little thing you can earn a little extra EC, dilithium and XP through... OR... the rewards locked up in the "Admiralty" stuff will be incredibly good, in which case it's locking stuff required to be competitive behind a chess game where you need to buy your individual pieces to play and they just happen to range from $5 to $30 a piece.

This is not what they advertised, and as an extra kick to the gonads might be a horribly terrible system to boot.
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    The inherent problem is "the Admiralty." Who wants to be an Admiral? Sure, you can boss people around. You can make that Captain get you a cup of coffee because you said so. You can scare Ensigns and ordinary crewmen with your mere presence. You can attend a lot of meetings, testify to the Federation Council, and make important decisions about how much sexual harassment training each starship crew must receive per fiscal year.

No, everybody wants to be The Captain.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    spockout1 wrote: »
    The inherent problem is "the Admiralty." Who wants to be an Admiral? Sure, you can boss people around. You can make that Captain get you a cup of coffee because you said so. You can scare Ensigns and ordinary crewmen with your mere presence. You can attend a lot of meetings, testify to the Federation Council, and make important decisions about how much sexual harassment training each starship crew must receive per fiscal year.

No, everybody wants to be The Captain.

Um, I wanna be The Admiral-Captain. I'll boss people around, scare the little man and determine the fate of the budget, then hop into my spaceship armed with Borg gear and shoot stuff and be diplomatic because it's good to be the boss.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    So, again smoke and mirrors for some minor new system...