Install Arc
Options

Broken Circle- Broken Intelligence

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    think on this.. when we meet M'Tara she says 'with a wave of my hand i could destroy you', not 'i will destroy you' and to be fair she isn't the type to mess her words.. consider the preserver situation.. no hesitation no apology, just simple duty. imagine you are sat at home and you try to reach for your drink or tv remote, as you have done so many times before, so often in fact that you don't even acknowledge the action, but for the 1st time ever your arm just wont move, you can feel it, you can see it, you know it should be moving but it wont.. that would scare me. imagine how an immortal would react. she portals in, talks to us like we are naughty children, raises her hand and threatens to spank us and then.. the arm wont move.. panic, fear, terror.. she didn't act after.. she reacted.
    except the arm DID move - it just didn't do what she was obviously expecting it to do, whatever that was​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    think on this.. when we meet M'Tara she says 'with a wave of my hand i could destroy you', not 'i will destroy you' and to be fair she isn't the type to mess her words.. consider the preserver situation.. no hesitation no apology, just simple duty. imagine you are sat at home and you try to reach for your drink or tv remote, as you have done so many times before, so often in fact that you don't even acknowledge the action, but for the 1st time ever your arm just wont move, you can feel it, you can see it, you know it should be moving but it wont.. that would scare me. imagine how an immortal would react. she portals in, talks to us like we are naughty children, raises her hand and threatens to spank us and then.. the arm wont move.. panic, fear, terror.. she didn't act after.. she reacted.​​

The first reaction after that is to retreat. This is a survivor of a culture who's home world was burned to dust, she's *knows* failure. And she knew that retreat is better than death.

So.. she kills herself. Wonderful.
  • Options
    And thus she could again, either to escape or draw upon the power needed to kill everyone.

that's where the limited range part of my earlier comment comes in...it's a big dreadnought - it might've taken her several portal openings to reach a shuttlebay or an onboard gate, which still would've ended up killing her

though, if she was losing so much energy, she could've just called the other two BEFORE she was at death's door to give her a jump start​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    And thus she could again, either to escape or draw upon the power needed to kill everyone.

that's where the limited range part of my earlier comment comes in...it's a big dreadnought - it might've taken her several portal openings to reach a shuttlebay or an onboard gate, which still would've ended up killing her

though, if she was losing so much energy, she could've just called the other two BEFORE she was at death's door to give her a jump start​​

Most likely what L'Miren(Blue) was going to do when she raised her arm.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    I just don't get why everyone felt so bad after the mission. It's like they keep emphasising how they'll do anything to win this war, no matter the costs! In fact, one of the "war propaganda" loading screens says No price to great for victory!, or something along those lines. Now when we actually take a huge loss, everyone suddenly feels bad?

Also, I'm VERY skeptical of my BOFF that said she knew someone aboard a ship that was destroyed that we just happened to coincidentally fly. I know where my BOFFs are all the time and I KNOW they don't have any free time to chat or hang out with other people on different ships! They do NOT know anyone outside my ship! Then I remember the mind-control bugs....
    This is not good. Can't even trust my BOFFs now! They are supposed to report EVERYTHING to me!
  • Options
    ak255 wrote: »
    Also, I'm VERY skeptical of my BOFF that said she knew someone aboard a ship that was destroyed that we just happened to coincidentally fly. I know where my BOFFs are all the time and I KNOW they don't have any free time to chat or hang out with other people on different ships! They do NOT know anyone outside my ship! Then I remember the mind-control bugs....
    This is not good. Can't even trust my BOFFs now! They are supposed to report EVERYTHING to me!

you think that's bad? the one that said it for me was a jem'hadar...who don't ever experience emotions like that​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    arachnaas wrote: »
    So why are they, and the player, suddenly so stupid?

Because if the villains were flawlessly logical and following the Evil Overlord's List to the letter, there wouldn't be much of a story beyond 'game over'?

tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »

you think that's bad? the one that said it for me was a jem'hadar...who don't ever experience emotions like that​​

Mine was an android. I wish she wouldn't test her concern program during such a stressful event. The imaginary friend made it a little creepy as well.
  • Options

Because if the villains were flawlessly logical and following the Evil Overlord's List to the letter, there wouldn't be much of a story beyond 'game over'?

The thing is, we're suppose to be losing this war hence why we turn to using a weapon that's basically beyond the pale. The villain here could have been a cut about brain-death stupid and it would have done nothing but improve the storyline.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    think on this.. when we meet M'Tara she says 'with a wave of my hand i could destroy you', not 'i will destroy you' and to be fair she isn't the type to mess her words.. consider the preserver situation.. no hesitation no apology, just simple duty. imagine you are sat at home and you try to reach for your drink or tv remote, as you have done so many times before, so often in fact that you don't even acknowledge the action, but for the 1st time ever your arm just wont move, you can feel it, you can see it, you know it should be moving but it wont.. that would scare me. imagine how an immortal would react. she portals in, talks to us like we are naughty children, raises her hand and threatens to spank us and then.. the arm wont move.. panic, fear, terror.. she didn't act after.. she reacted.

The first reaction after that is to retreat. This is a survivor of a culture who's home world was burned to dust, she's *knows* failure. And she knew that retreat is better than death.

So.. she kills herself. Wonderful.
    yep, i totally agree.. so i'm guessing retreat was not an option, if she could just have made a portal and left, why expend her life trying to protect a vehicle, unless she is dependant on it? so many questions, mostly about what appears to be whopping great plot holes. i've run the mission 3 times, once for the spec point on 2 accounts and this 3rd time, but im not enjoying it, it feels so far from trek, the rewards may be nice but not game winning so i'll probably.. do something else instead. i'm hoping for some twist, but the lack of 'objectionable' dialogue options just puts it totally out of character.
    ​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Gameplay was fun but the dialogue was poor and the story did not make much sense to me.

I'm afraid, I have nothing more to add to this ^. I think Cryptic should take a closer look at how writing is done for STO.

Oh, wait: THAT and the NPCs getting stuck inside consoles (the ones at the power junctions) and becoming virtually impossible to hit. So, gameplay wasn't fun for me either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

Tell that to Weyoun.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    WARNING: HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.

While I could kind of imagine my Reman doing something this stupid--she was a civilian elevated to command rank by happenstance, and the way I imagine her bridge crew, it is not quite run by military discipline--I would have a VERY hard time imagining any of my trained Federation officers doing this. All I can say is thank goodness my first run was on my Reman, running it on my Feds will be a nightmare.

I know my Cardassian, Berat, would offer at least one chance to talk and surrender before taking M'Tara out, even if simply on grounds that one should not execute someone before a fair trial. (His family was killed pre-Dominion War in just such a farce.) Of course with him, Kagran likely would not have gotten away with such stupidity without being called on it, because Berat has Dominion War experience, and he knows firsthand how major fleet actions should and shouldn't look, both from seeing it done right, and from seeing the Dominion make critical errors.

Alyosha, my Earth-raised Devidian...now he is the one who would try hardest to make M'Tara listen to him, and he would take a failure very personally. The way the episode is written, we are clearly meant to "desentientize" the Iconians (25th century speak for "dehumanize") and not to value their lives the same way as we would beings more like us. Alyosha loathes that. While he understands that as with the Iconians, people would have a legitimate reason to fear him if they could see his true form, since every other Devidian has been hostile except for him, deep down he wishes he could be known fully and accepted fully as all that he is. Just as he has an alternate way to sustain himself, he would want to get through to the Iconians and help them find alternatives. It is so easy for me to hear how he would try to plead with M'Tara to listen to him once she was weakened enough to know that he could kill her if necessary. If he were then forced to end M'Tara's life, it would not be through lack of trying for another solution.

Oh...and here's the kicker. For all the garbage people hurl at JJ Abrams, notice that Abrams DID have Kirk do the Star Trek thing, twice, and offer aid to both his enemies when they were dying--Nero and if I recall, even Khan. He was happy to destroy them when they refused, but he made the offer and attempted the peaceful solution even if it is very clear he would rather be blowing things up.

Now, I can almost see why we had to flee from T'Ket and L'Miren: for her to have sent the summons she did over such a distance, there had to have been some sort of telepathy or silent, gated communication signal. Those two would IMO have been very unlikely to make the same mistake M'Tara did and waste their charges on powering gateways or anything for the external battle, and would've just wasted you on the spot and then taken the time gained by doing that to repair the Herald vessel and get recharged.

But to imagine them gating in to instead find that we have spared M'Tara's life when we could have killed her: I do think that could have made a different impression on L'Miren, at least.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    Where is Q when I need him to explain why when I got in a fight with the leader of a super advanced race, with over two hundred thousand years of experience, it basically ended up as a bull fight? Was there a bunch of Iconian children on that ship that she felt the need to die protecting?

So many holes in this plot, T'Ket could wear it as fishnet stockings.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    M'Tara lived 200000 years, but she is killed miserably by a small team of insects; this is pythonesque: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pythonesque
    our fight against M'Tara looks like to this part of Monthy Python's film : Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    https://youtu.be/ikssfUhAlgg
  • Options
    Where is Q when I need him to explain why when I got in a fight with the leader of a super advanced race, with over two hundred thousand years of experience, it basically ended up as a bull fight? Was there a bunch of Iconian children on that ship that she felt the need to die protecting?

So many holes in this plot, T'Ket could wear it as fishnet stockings.

It was just a Herald ship as far I could tell, they have millions of those and thus this one like all of them was expendable. Maybe if the threat was against the Sphere itself, but even then- the death of the 'first among equals' would not be worth it. Especially since she could have called for help at the start instead of waiting until she was dead.

Nothing about this makes any sense.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Except when she popped into and out of the Klingon Home world without any ship in sight.

On our end. That gateway was presumably from the Andromeda Dyson Sphere, over 2 million light years away. Of course there was no ship in sight.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    Except when she popped into and out of the Klingon Home world without any ship in sight.

On our end. That gateway was presumably from the Andromeda Dyson Sphere, over 2 million light years away. Of course there was no ship in sight.

And thus she could use the Andromeda Dyson Sphere gateway again. Nothing was stopping her, in fact *it was right behind the ship she was on*.

• Options
    Maybe M'Tara isn't dead? Maybe she needs to trick the others into thinking she's dead so to gain the attention of the "Other."

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Honestly, just a few lines, including technobabble, would've helped tremendously.
    The Iconians are doing a big push on X sector/planet right now. We want to surprise them by attacking the Herald Sphere. It's the only way they'll drop the attack on X. We know this is foolish but if we don't do it, they'll discover Y [maybe the Research center where we are].
    then
    The explosion of the ship's main power source triggered/released some Omega particles and M'tara seems to have been affected. Most of her powers are gone!

The release of the Omega particles also disabled the sphere's power source, we need to act NOW before M'tara can connect to it and gain some measure of her power back! In the meantime, she's using her own energy to power up the gateway.

That would've done most of it for me.
  • Options

She warped back to it without any issue. The entire "Can't use time" McGuffin is hinged on their ability to teleport pretty much anyplace. Seems hardly worth noting if it only works locally.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

yeah, dont the iconians personal ships use the omega particles to condense energy and power the gateways? and im guessing at least some of their other exotic abilities draw from that same power source.

​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options

And thus she could use the Andromeda Dyson Sphere gateway again. Nothing was stopping her, in fact *it was right behind the ship she was on*
    her ship was severely damaged, we had boarding parties all over it, and by the time she found out she was vulnerable it was too late to do anything
    ​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options

And thus she could use the Andromeda Dyson Sphere gateway again. Nothing was stopping her, in fact *it was right behind the ship she was on*
    her ship was severely damaged, we had boarding parties all over it, and by the time she found out she was vulnerable it was too late to do anything
    ​​

Hmm, no. She could have summoned help from the start or called for extraction (just like use low tech types did at the end).

But no, she killed herself.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm thinking the only thing that makes sense is if the Iconians are not really all that. In other words, they are entirely dependent on technology and really don't have any 'magic powers.' They're just energy conduits smoke and mirrors. Turn their power off and they are helpless. What we've seen so far in the House Pegh and Broken Circle support this.

If their fleet and weapons are so powerful why don't they just sterilize the main homeworlds? Well, I guess they were operating on a different plan - something to do with contacting the other. But now after this mission I imagine they will change.

Yes there were some glaring writing errors here, yet I am interested to see where it goes. I do think we will see some surprises.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    raxicorico wrote: »
    Been at work and not had a chance to play it yet and I've had my first fight with an iconian ruined.

That is why we have been putting the most sensitive stuff in 'spoiler' brackets.

Nope.
    1. Stop browsing the forums while you work.
    2. Stop browsing the forums if you plan to be surprised by playing the game.
    3. The forums are there to discuss the game.
    4. ....
    5. Profit is its own reward.

Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    So me, four BOFFs, 1 Klingon, and two Romulan escorts took out an Iconian? So, flood the damn sphere with troops. Or maybe get all the players in Undine ships to use their death beam on the sphere.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    So me, four BOFFs, 1 Klingon, and two Romulan escorts took out an Iconian? So, flood the damn sphere with troops. Or maybe get all the players in Undine ships to use their death beam on the sphere.​​

We don't all have the death beam...those of us with the Dromias don't. :/

(Though I still love my ship...I was able to build it into a quasi-science ship despite not having quite the right BOFF slots, because of the Undine snot bubble console.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the only thing that makes sense is if the Iconians are not really all that. In other words, they are entirely dependent on technology and really don't have any 'magic powers.' They're just energy conduits smoke and mirrors. Turn their power off and they are helpless. What we've seen so far in the House Pegh and Broken Circle support this.

If their fleet and weapons are so powerful why don't they just sterilize the main homeworlds? Well, I guess they were operating on a different plan - something to do with contacting the other. But now after this mission I imagine they will change.

Yes there were some glaring writing errors here, yet I am interested to see where it goes. I do think we will see some surprises.
    artan42 wrote: »

Again... another question...

The Undine have the ability to 1 shot some Dyson Sphere doors off. So where are the Undine? We get them here... that's it... we win.

We'll blow a hole in the side of the sphere... fire some Trilithium torpedos at the star... granted they might be destroyed... so we'll keep firing them in... watch the star explode... then get the hell out of the system before chuncks of a Dyson Sphere are scattered around sector space.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!