test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Broken Circle- Broken Intelligence

So we go from a fat bragging Klingon who insists on a battle he shouldn't and then wastes his one shot he didn't even earn...

...to M'Tara who can't kill anybody but who despite the famous ability to travel anywhere at whim insists on trying again and again to the point of freakin' suicide. She doesn't even put up a serious fight against my character.

I swear, STO has the worst storylines of any MMO I've ever played and that's dunking under a rather low bar.

Comments

• Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Uhhhh, Might want to put "spoilers" in the title.

Anyways at least they tried to explain M'Tara's power being severely weakened by your party disabling sub systems all over the ship. I agree though, I was expecting a fight with our first Iconian to be a little more difficult then that was. The thing is if you are geared out you are going to find every mission easy. They can't make it too challenging because then people who aren't geared out may not be able to complete the mission.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I didn't even get to fight, my boffs killed her before I could turn from the console, lol
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Putting M'Tara aside for a moment. Thank god Seven of Nine was there with her extremely significant part to that mission. I mean without her the story would have made absolutely no sense at all.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    walligig wrote: »
    Putting M'Tara aside for a moment. Thank god Seven of Nine was there with her extremely significant part to that mission. I mean without her the story would have made absolutely no sense at all.

LMFAO

I enjoyed the story line.
  • Options
    arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I hated this mission, from top to bottom. I hate the Krenim, and all the BS that comes with them.
    Giant sphere with a fleet so big it blotted out the sun? Seemed pretty empty to me. The Queen of Iconia was in a beat up ship and that was all you threw at me? Seems that M'Tara managed to survive for more than two hundred thousand years without a survival instinct. I just wanted her to leave, to go and nurse her wounds and come back later, but no you forced my hand.

To top it all off there was not even a word of dialog about the fact that we made it all worse. M'Tara didn't want to kill all non Iconians. Now we have all the Iconian forces behind T'ket who wants everyone dead. First thing we should do with this stupid Deus ex machina time weapon is go back and tell ourselves to not kill M'Tara.

I really like the way Iconians look. As an alien player I am filled with envy when I think of all the parts of them I will never see in the character creator. A character with such a creative design, let alone the fact she was The Queen of Iconia should have a death with more meaning. This was just sad, one of those nameless council Iconians would have done just as good a job at making the rest of them angry enough to go on a killing spree without giving such a pointless death to a character with so much potential.
    Post edited by arachnaas on
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I think it was a very good mission. The only thing I generally not like, anywhere not just Trek, is the time machine plot device. Cheap... while it worked for a franchise in the 80's ,.... but after that it's just cheap. It didn't even work out for JJ lol...
    But the mission was top notch. Hats off. I need an Iconian boff please. Pleasy please.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    Wish I could get that far. Mission critical enemy keeps getting stuck in terrain and thus untargetable, thus I have to start over. I don't have time to keep playing through the entire ground portion in the gamble that she won't get stuck again.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    I think it was a very good mission. The only thing I generally not like, anywhere not just Trek, is the time machine plot device. Cheap...

Don't worry, the FED/KDF/RR aren't going to become time lords in the 25th century. Something will definitely go FUBAR (probably involving the "hey, we lost our homeworld and we're totally friends, right? Now hand me the parts I need to finish the doomsday device" Krenim), we'll have to look to some other solution, and wouldn't you know it there's an Iconian who isn't quite as rabid as the rest of them. She's pissed now but with the power of persuasive reasoning...
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    darthwoo wrote: »
    Wish I could get that far. Mission critical enemy keeps getting stuck in terrain and thus untargetable, thus I have to start over. I don't have time to keep playing through the entire ground portion in the gamble that she won't get stuck again.

If there's a door or other blind turn that you can get to, do so. The NPCs will work themselves free if you, and your BOffs, move out of their line of sight.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    but at least the fleet battle felt...almost .... kinda... like a massive epics.... sorta...
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    No offense to the team, but this episode felt too reliant on cliches, as much of the Iconain plot. And finally killing an Iconian feels so anti-climatic than an awesome boss battle it should've been.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    but at least the fleet battle felt...almost .... kinda... like a massive epics.... sorta...

Yah, but its only mid-season. They're not going to max space combat out now when they'll have to create some sort of satisfying climax later on.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    I think it was a very good mission. The only thing I generally not like, anywhere not just Trek, is the time machine plot device. Cheap...

Don't worry, the FED/KDF/RR aren't going to become time lords in the 25th century. Something will definitely go FUBAR (probably involving the "hey, we lost our homeworld and we're totally friends, right? Now hand me the parts I need to finish the doomsday device" Krenim), we'll have to look to some other solution, and wouldn't you know it there's an Iconian who isn't quite as rabid as the rest of them. She's pissed now but with the power of persuasive reasoning...

I think we will fail to alter history the right way, sure. That doesn't mean the temporal tech is a dead end either.

I think we will first mess up the timeline and bring back Romulus temporarily... and find out that the Romulans are better off now that they would have been had Romulus not blown up.

I think those time sensors will THEN allow us to find out who "The Other" is. And that's the real solution. But that we'll need the time tech to do it.
  • Options
    raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Cross-posting my earlier post as i think this might have been more suitable here.
    gradii wrote: »
    This storyline is looking like the most rushed, poorly written piece of TRIBBLE I've ever seen honestly.
    I know whoever's in charge of writing this is trying,
    but please, let someone else write this and do something you're good at.

I heartedly agree...and it pains me to say that. The biggest thing is this episode has no inherent story logic whatsoever.

Im sorry Dev's -but unless I missed something during the current feature episode, then WTF! Major plot holes....frikking really major blood bad plot holes!
    We just found out during the episode that the Iconians are energy beings and that we were able to make M'Tara vulnerable to damage by killing the power to the Herald's EPS grid by turning those power conduits off (now keep in mind, this is also forgetting the fact that we found out in 'House Peng' that Iconians are vulnerable to Omega Radiation- um why simply not Omega weapons then anyone??? One Omega bomb and BOOOM...no more Iconians??? Ahem). So where was I...yes so pull the power plugs and Iconians will drain their own small batteries...

Why the heck then did we only kill M'tara?!

She was SO incompetent and again proved how utterly moronic the Iconians are... she called her family to come to her as she was dying-um hey stupid M'Tara, I know you are dying and all but...remember you are stuck on a booby trapped Herald now that ultimately killed you. Why the heck would you expose your family to that and make them vulnerable by calling them to your location too?

Im sorry but totally FAIL in the writing. We had them right where we wanted them on the powered down ship and having them to rely on their own internal power. If we could easily kill her, then why not the other Iconian fools who showed up!?

This story logic that was written makes totally no sense... I guess neither does the Omega vulnerability from 'House Peng' now either. Knowing that they are energy beings that readily syphon external power sources, shouldn't Omega then have made em more powerful instead of damaging them? Omega is the ultimate particle powerhouse, it should have made em like SUPER Iconians instead??? Anyway...

I am not impressed with this writing fail. Just isolating them in an environment with no power outlets for them to suck power from... we should just muck up their power bills and have their electricity cut. Fed's win easy :P

I don't hold my breath for the next feature episode. That one stunk in my opinion. Wasn't challenging and not compelling. I would consider getting some of the better Foundry writers to help out the Dev's writing team- they obviously need the help. I know that I have been harsh, but the writers should be made accountable for this failing standard in the writing. Star Trek has always held their episode writing in high regard for the most part of the last 49 years. This episode failed on so many levels. I am just so sorry to say that, but it did :(
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »
    now keep in mind, this is also forgetting the fact that we found out in 'House Peng' that Iconians are vulnerable to Omega Radiation- um why simply not Omega weapons then anyone??? One Omega bomb and BOOOM...no more Iconians??? Ahem).
    Because that would also mean no more warp travel in that region. So while the Iconians would still be able to teleport around, the Alliance would be unable to respond.

Bad, Bad Idea!

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    Because that would also mean no more warp travel in that region. So while the Iconians would still be able to teleport around, the Alliance would be unable to respond.

Bad, Bad Idea!

No, I don't think so. I think it all depends on the specifics as we have seen Omega particle use on STO and on VOY too without the subspace damage occurring. Large catastrophic reactions will destroy subspace. Controlled annihilation or utilisation seems fine (and mind you we saw an uncontrolled Omega cascade damage damage T'Ket and no subspace damage there). Key word being control. I don't think Omega powered weapons would be an issue either even if it did cause subspace damage, if we are taking out a single sphere in an isolated pocket of space then not the biggest issue if total galactic extermination is on the cards from the Iconians. Just 'Nuke' their current homeworld or whatever with Omega.

Frankly Starfleet would be just as desperate to do that as to alter the timeline (actually Omega weapons would be easier with more controllable outcome then temporal incursions/timeline changing). If i was them i would have this as a resort before even attempting the timeline changing. They have access to Omega generators inside the sphere's already so they don't really have to do much except make a delivery platform or ways to incorporate it into torpedo or ground weapons.

Omega Phaser anyone?
    ;)
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    If it were perfectly usable then why is everybody always flipping their TRIBBLE whenever a Omega molecule or particle is discovered?
    I'd rather mess with time, because that can always be reverted if something goes wrong. Try and revert lightyears of obliterated subspace...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    This mission could of been so much more.
    All we've done is TRIBBLE off T'Ket and L'Miren... the latter being the only Iconian I could of seen us speaking to on "friendly" terms.

Sent ##### of allied ships and crews to their deaths.

Parked "#####" of ships next to some Krenim Fleet Holding which most likely gave its position away to the Heralds, Elachi or Vaadwaur.

Lost "#####" ships which will now leave more of allied space vulnerable to Iconian attacks

It can't get any worse can it?

Where were the Elachi?

EDIT: Nvm... We haven't screwed with the timeline yet.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    To be honest reyan, I'm not sure trying to save her would have been a great idea from a self preservation point of view. I know that in RP all my characters would have had a moment of silence aboard ship (both for her and for all the lives wasted to kill her), even though Lily would have had a party after for the same reason.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    3/10 I had to laugh through the entire ground portion of the episode. And it wasn't meant to be funny.

"Can't... stop... laughing. Must... play... the episode. Must... fight... Iconian... because I.... am.... the hero."

Serously. I was expecting at any moment that M'Tara would raise her hand to sky and scream: "I HAVE THE POWEEEEEER!"

And what exactly was the whole point of this? We knew we would be vastly outgunned and outnumbered, that's why we were building the time ship in the first place. And why did we have to flee from M'Tara's dreadnought? Her family would have been defeatable in the exact same way we defeated M'Tara. It makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Options
    arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    Self preservation or not, trying to save her is the "Right" thing to do. Fighting an Iconian is similar to being hit with one of the scrolls from the Library of Alexandria. Sure you can try your best to defend yourself, but if at all possible you should make sure the long lost, priceless, relic is not damaged. I can only think about just how disappointed Picard would be at the loss of so much life, and the loss of so much history, for so little.
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    And what exactly was the whole point of this? ... It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Like I said no story logic whatsoever.

Let's hope when they wipe the timeline clean we forget this travesty of a storyline. Let's get to the Andromeda Galaxy already...

Oh and I agree with Reyan01 as well. This SO not the Star Trek thing to be doing.

i guess we would not be doing this I guess unless a last resort, though I do think M'Tara would have killed us regardless. All of the Iconians for the most part just want all of us other species gone... If I were in a room in that situation I would have said that "I didn't want to do this", but they leave little in the way of choice. Their actions are clear that they want to exterminate us. Even the Dominion were not that bad...if we had acquiesced in the end to them well I think, then yes we would have been slaves to the Founders, but they would not have exterminated everyone as even they saw that total obliteration wasn't good (Except the Cardassians, they wanted them gone for attacking the Founders homeworld).

The Iconians have been manipulating so many things and species to cause trouble for such a long length of time, they are the bullies of the Galaxy really who would do their most to hurt others without regard as long as it suits their purposes. They I doubt would be the type to allow an act of compassion to sway them and saving any Iconian in that act I think would be dangerous, turn your back after saving her and i wouldn't like to think of the outcome.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    from a self presrrvation point of a view, we're in a WORSE position now than we were when she was alive; T'Ket has more reason to hate us that M'Tara ever did.

Are we? I mean they wanted to exterminate us before, how has that changed? Only difference now is that it is personal for them. It still leads to the same outcome in the end from them I think. They want us gone and are willing to do anything to do it. Even M'Tara could have asked for mercy. She didn't. As she was dying she told us that we were doomed and to think fondly that we were the only ones in 200000 years to have the audacity to challenge their supremacy.

So yes I think she wanted us gone and so too do the others now, and it changes little really :(
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    arachnaas wrote: »
    Self preservation or not, trying to save her is the "Right" thing to do. Fighting an Iconian is similar to being hit with one of the scrolls from the Library of Alexandria. Sure you can try your best to defend yourself, but if at all possible you should make sure the long lost, priceless, relic is not damaged. I can only think about just how disappointed Picard would be at the loss of so much life, and the loss of so much history, for so little.

Erm,... well, Picard could barely handle the *empty* Iconian planet. He almost lost his ship. Anyway I think STO writers have a Janeway fetish tho. Violence is the question and the answer is always yes.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    Erm,... well, Picard could barely handle the *empty* Iconian planet. He almost lost his ship.

Yes a good point. I still think the unplayed card of the 'Other' here has more to do with this too. The control room on TNG on Iconia was vastly different to anything we have seen since used by Iconians. I still say a good possibility is that the Iconians in the past were more human like and that the 'Other' changed them and made them more war like and the energy beings as they are now...?
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Their proverbial 'voice of reason' is gone.

She was the voice of reason? I didn't get vibe at all from any of her interactions. She always came across as the smooth manipulator who liked every little thing in her control. After all she was the Queen too. Fits the MO.

Same ends, just different person at the helm now getting tot he same destination.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Awesome spoliers there.

Been at work and not had a chance to play it yet and I've had my first fight with an iconian ruined.

Well done. *slow clap*
    Post edited by midniteshadow7 on
  • Options
    Still think it makes little difference, they have been plotting our destruction for aeons. T'Mara was happy to see us die, as do those left behind in Iconian hierarchy we have met.

Does it matter if they are methodical or (opposite) sloppy? Actually sloppy and enraged normally means they are emotional and more susceptible to make emotionally driven mistakes.
  • Options
    Been at work and not had a chance to play it yet and I've had my first fight with an iconian ruined.

That is why we have been putting the most sensitive stuff in 'spoiler' brackets.

• Options
    Hmm I wonder if this is going to lead to more Temporal Cold War territory after the Iconian threat is explored to it's conclusion?