test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, I didn't spot anything that snuck in this patch... I was kinda hoping for some new KDF melee weps (especially seeing the NPC's get to play with 'em in the new FE) The decorative dk'tang belt knife didn't make it in either.

It's gonna be a real slow ongoing thing aint it?

*shrugs*
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Question: how special does cryptic view the "crazy old klingon" kahless hairstyle + gotee?

Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to unlock, assuming it's not being held in reserve to prevent, say, me from launching a clone army. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • longshadowace1longshadowace1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sing long.

qeylIS nuqneH!

qeylIS rI' SuvwI'! qeylIS rI' ta'!

vegh 'Iw qem ghaH vegh Legend mists

wo' Dev batlh ben law' batlhmey 'ej

vo' taD wastes boreth paw

vo' taj kirom Dumerbe' ghaH

qeylIS, SabtaHbogh qo' traveler

qeylIS, wa' Hero wa'DIch!

qeylIS nuqneH!

qaStaHvIS veqlargh moQ spilled 'Iw

ben law' batlhmey 'ej batlh mIw che'angchugh

'etlh qeylIS ghopDu'Daj

roQ Vas vIq qaDta'bogh qeylIS

Qam 'ej Darkness veqlargh tugh SIp vImojnIS against ghaH

'ach qeylIS ratlh, unshake.

mighty SuS, hallow 'etlh

qeylIS qa' mup

jabqangbogh qab 'ej ratlh defiant

'ej DaH ghaHvaD QamchoH batlh wo'.

qeylIS nuqneH!

'ach pIghna' SoH veqlargh Qom SuS

not 'e' DalIjchugh lo'taHvIS 'ach.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Klingons have been neglected all these years and the little stuff they do get is given to us by devs in their spare time. Who's calling the shots on this? When are the big shots at the top of the ladder going to give us a full-bred Klingon faction? Oh but the metrics say most play Fed? What do you expect if the KDF hardly gets any new content.

Cheers to those devs who do give us what they can.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    Just because I know people are anxious for updates on this - still just male footwear so far has been released, but all the other stuff mentioned in the original post is in the works.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Just because I know people are anxious for updates on this - still just male footwear so far has been released, but all the other stuff mentioned in the original post is in the works.
    baby steps are steps nevertheless.
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the update, can't wait!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Appreciate the update, CrypticJJ!

I can't wait to get my sheathed D’k Tahg. :D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015

(Kui the orion avatar pants anxiously while the starfleet security team behind try to not pass out from pheromonal shock.)

*sniffles*

*chin quivers*

I believe you... Hurry!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    there are some interesting pieces of costumes in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1023241

could we have these 2 pieces available for the letheans?

hood
    lethean coat
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited June 2015

How dare you deny the Klingons their cold feet!!
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Curious, but is it just things mentioned on the initial post that is in progress, or are other things (female Nausicaan) being worked on too?

You needn't be too specific if you don't want, but a simple "we're working on other things too" or "we're only working on what's been mentioned at the moment" would be nice. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have heard over the years requests for Female Gorn.

Now, personally, I don't think reptilian beings should have visual differentiation between the sexes, other than perhaps size. It may be that gorn females are smaller and quicker, or it may be that they are the larger and bulkier ones. Females may be more or less prominently marked with colors and patterns on their hides. However, they should certainly not have mammalian features like TRIBBLE. (This bugs me with Saurians and Voth too. What's a reptile doing with TRIBBLE?)

However, is this an opportunity to finally give us Gorn Girls?
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    brian334 wrote: »
    Now, personally, I don't think reptilian beings should have visual differentiation between the sexes, other than perhaps size. It may be that gorn females are smaller and quicker, or it may be that they are the larger and bulkier ones. Females may be more or less prominently marked with colors and patterns on their hides. However, they should certainly not have mammalian features like TRIBBLE. (This bugs me with Saurians and Voth too. What's a reptile doing with TRIBBLE?)
    It's generalization.

Think about the Caitian (and Ferasan); they're cats (traditionally they should have what, six or eight nipples, thus six or eight TRIBBLE?) - that wouldn't exactly look cool would it? Physiologically, there's no define reason why any species (other than Human) would have one pair of TRIBBLE, though obviously the species portrayed in the various shows have been done so by women with just the one set.

I would concur with you though; Saurian females by definition shouldn't have them, but then it's to distinguish between the two. Saurian are more humanoid than Gorn (stature, posture etc) so I guess they can just about get away with it. Not too sure a true Female Gorn could though.

Just hope Cryptic don't go overboard and start introducing female Tholian, and female Breen. :o
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    brian334 wrote: »
    (This bugs me with Saurians and Voth too. What's a reptile doing with boobs?)
    The same thing anything else that has boobs are doing with them?

Also, Voth have very miniscule sexual dimorphism, last time I checked.
    flash525 wrote: »
    It's generalization.

Think about the Caitian (and Ferasan); they're cats (traditionally they should have what, six or eight nipples, thus six or eight TRIBBLE?) - that wouldn't exactly look cool would it? Physiologically, there's no define reason why any species (other than Human) would have one pair of TRIBBLE, though obviously the species portrayed in the various shows have been done so by women with just the one set.

I would concur with you though; Saurian females by definition shouldn't have them, but then it's to distinguish between the two. Saurian are more humanoid than Gorn (stature, posture etc) so I guess they can just about get away with it. Not too sure a true Female Gorn could though.

Just hope Cryptic don't go overboard and start introducing female Tholian, and female Breen. :o
    "Feline" and "reptilian" are mere classifications we give Terran animals. It's logical that since alien planets have had separate genesis events, their evolutionary pathways would be much more different. Except for Voth, of course. By definition, since Saurians DO have mammary glands, they indeed wouldn't be defined as reptiles, despite sharing other similarities with Terran reptiles. And who knows, maybe the primates on Cait are the ones who have 8 nipplages...
    Post edited by orangeitis on
  • qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I like this. This is very good news.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited June 2015
    Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, many of our older Klingon armor pieces are a bit cartoonish and/or oddly shaped, gravity-defying, and often over-sized. This was an attempt to make the Klingons look bulkier as they do in the shows. The problem is the underlying body in STO is/was usually still skinny to average in size. So the end result often looks like a skinny kid wearing oversized foam costume armor and an old man mask :P

heh, yup. that was always a bit confusing

after trying to make a klingon char (and giving up) I thought "what were they going for? like maybe they are just scrappy-tough little guys?"

in relation to alien models though, whatever the range of sizes will be for klingon, I'd hope that the aliens are still a wider range.

that's part of the fun of making an alien, making stuff undersize or oversize or a combination of both
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Just a sidebar but I am curious how this will affect Fed Klingons. It would be weird if they don't get the same treatment although I can foresee that creating costume issues.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Just a sidebar but I am curious how this will affect Fed Klingons. It would be weird if they don't get the same treatment although I can foresee that creating costume issues.

You don't have access to the costumes fedside, though. So there shouldn't be any change, aside from maybe new hairstyles and such which I hope they will get as well.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

You don't have access to the costumes fedside, though. So there shouldn't be any change, aside from maybe new hairstyles and such which I hope they will get as well.

A lot of these changes seem slider based and like modifications to the base model. The costumes, yeah. I agree. Although given how often Worf dressed in Klingon gear, I could see it maybe SOME of the BASIC KDF options as a species unlock thing if the two costume styles are going to become more compatible and rely less on padding. I think that was always a hold-up on baldrics for Fed Klingons.

If I have one major piece of feedback for KDF Klingons (which this still doesn't really address) it's that baldrics look wrong to me going UNDER shoulderpads. I know this can't be helped perfectly but the workaround I'd propose is an additional shoulder piece that can be placed OVER the right shoulder pad with all of the baldric designs.

So the actual baldric would still go under the shoulderpad but we'd get a fake baldric segment that goes over the right shoulderpad, either as a separate segment or as alternate versions of the basic right shoulderpads with a dummy baldric flap running over them.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    A lot of these changes seem slider based and like modifications to the base model. The costumes, yeah. I agree. Although given how often Worf dressed in Klingon gear, I could see it maybe SOME of the BASIC KDF options as a species unlock thing if the two costume styles are going to become more compatible and rely less on padding. I think that was always a hold-up on baldrics for Fed Klingons.
    If only there was a way to distinguish Klingon costumes between the KDF organizational parts and traditional Klingon garb. *glances at costume designers*
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    If only there was a way to distinguish Klingon costumes between the KDF organizational parts and traditional Klingon garb. *glances at costume designers*

Agreed. Also, I would really like a KDF uniform guide in STO-verse. I noticed that some Klingon models seem to have been updated to reflect a brown-colored duty attire which seems inspired by what Worf wore in TNG - the bronze-brown-gold uniforms worn by the warriors on Bajor. Of course you can't copy those visuals as literally nothing they wear is available to players, but a kind of guide what the attire reflects would be a nice touch.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As long as there is no change in the models of existing characters,
    and we still have the option to make less bulky ones
    this is a good thing.

Many of us like our characters just fine as they are, even Klingon ones.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • shemrockskishemrockski Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Looks good!

Definitely need more hair styles for Klingon characters, both male and female alike..

Plus, the colour palette would be good if it had more options like the Feds do!

OMG LOVE this news and LOVE this giff
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Can we just lob updating the K't'inga in with all these klingon fixes? That ship is suffering.
  • skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Ah ha! I remembered. The first one I think has been requested many, MANY times, but I am going to request it anyway.

Expanded color palette! PLEASE!!!

Next one is not exactly Klingon exclusive, but I am bringing it up because of the lack of KDF costume options compared to others.

Unified Costume Tab

All the costumes in one spot. If I want to combine my cocktail dress with some heavy armor I should be able to. I should be able to combine pieces from the Honor Guard, Dyson and Delta armor costumes to make the most kick a...butt armor of all!!

While we are at it can we make the Formal Wear made non-gender specifc, let the men have a dress if they so choose, and the women get to throw on a nice suit if they would like to. :smiley:
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    So, uh... did they ever do this? Is it still a "work in progress"? Or did they just kind of sweep it under the rug? I haven't really seen any differences yet, but then again, with all the broken things, i might just be overlooking it.

What's the status on the Revamp?

Also, is there anyword from crypticjoejing about when the playable Borg will be getting the full body skins? My assimilated Klingon wants to know.
  • knightnbluknightnblu Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Am I grateful for this? Nope, I am ecstatic!! At long last, the Klingon side of the house gets some love. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now, if you would pleaaaaasssssseeeeee rework the wonky dialog options for Klingons, I would do cartwheels!! There is nothing so immersion breaking as a sweet, and touchy, feely Klingon. It's like those bloody Ewoks. For the love of God, please re-work the Klingon dialog options for the missions while you redo the rest. I'm begging you!
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    I have a suggestion with this.

Not sure what the community or the developers will feel about this.

But how about have some contest or something with players able to submit their own design ideas for hair styles and such.

The reason i make this suggestion is that I play the game skyrim and i always remeber the incredible mods other players made for hair and other assets.

Not sure how easily something like this would work....but i just love all the attention to deatail those players did...and i know some of them play this game...also a number of other artists and such play this game as well...

Anywise its just a thought....oh and doing something like this might make changes take a bit longer...but might be more fun in the long run.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    I have a suggestion with this.

Not sure what the community or the developers will feel about this.

But how about have some contest or something with players able to submit their own design ideas for hair styles and such.

The reason i make this suggestion is that I play the game skyrim and i always remeber the incredible mods other players made for hair and other assets.

Not sure how easily something like this would work....but i just love all the attention to deatail those players did...and i know some of them play this game...also a number of other artists and such play this game as well...

Anywise its just a thought....oh and doing something like this might make changes take a bit longer...but might be more fun in the long run.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=