test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    This is so cool. I'm glad to see development time being spent on KDF like this.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    @crypticjoejing whilst all of these modifications are great, as already mentioned by @artan42 please don't forget about the hair. We don't need all the options posted above, but the Klingons (both genders) and Nausicaan (if you're working on them at all) are seriously limited when it comes to hair styles. I know stylists might not be a well paid job on Qo'nos, but we've got all these options that already exist in the game somewhere that are thus far underutilized because we can't use them - and it should be no secret that customization in this game (and others like it) go a long way to pleasing players. :smile:

References 1, 2, 5 & 8 (from above) already apply to Klingons. They'd be a good set to start with.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I do hope there are more color options in everything KDF, Ships, Clothing, very little to pick from, My Orion lady likes Pink, 7bf6c1474002281.jpg
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    One more thing coming soonish: more skin tone options for Klingons http://imgur.com/9bkakFz
    I like this a lot. A big thank you for all that you're doing for this project.​​
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    I do hope there are more color options in everything KDF, Ships, Clothing, very little to pick from, My Orion lady likes Pink, 7bf6c1474002281.jpg

THIS.
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2016
    Another update that will probably come in around the pauldron & sash update is bulkier, stronger-looking default Klingon preset costumes in Character Creation. This gives a much better starting point on customizing your avatar. Yes, you still have access to all of the body sliders. No, it won't affect your current characters. Yes, you can still make skinny Klingons (using the sliders) if that's your thing.

Before & after: https://imgur.com/PxlHA7p

To address a few of the comments:

Unlocking hair that works is on our radar of things to do. Thanks for going to the trouble of making the image, artan42.

New hairdos are less likely in the near future (in any substantial quantity) as hair is probably the most difficult thing to make for characters and ends up eating a ton of dev time.

Color palettes are a known issue, but as I've mentioned before on this and other threads, palettes have a lot of intertwined links that aren't easily solved. We want to expand the palettes, but it will take a while to dig in.
    As far as the Klingons go, I'd almost just settle for them not all being 11 feet tall. I maxed the height slider on my Klingon, and Worf STILL towers at least a foot taller. I'm pretty sure Dorn isn't quite that tall.

Scale in this game is SO bad it's laughable.

Lol. I'm with you, colonelmarik. Hurts my brain, eyes, and heart when I see the size of some of the Klingon and Gorn. What's funny is Worf is still much smaller than many of the other NPC Klingons!

The size he's at now was a compromise to make him more sensibly sized without looking like a child compared to the other Klingons. On the radar as a topic at least. No decision on making any changes just yet.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Another update that will probably come in around the pauldron & sash update is bulkier, stronger-looking default Klingon preset costumes in Character Creation. This gives a much better starting point on customizing your avatar. Yes, you still have access to all of the body sliders. No, it won't affect your current characters. Yes, you can still make skinny Klingons (using the sliders) if that's your thing.

Before & after: https://imgur.com/PxlHA7p

To address a few of the comments:

Unlocking hair that works is on our radar of things to do. Thanks for going to the trouble of making the image, artan42.

New hairdos are less likely in the near future (in any substantial quantity) as hair is probably the most difficult thing to make for characters and ends up eating a ton of dev time.

Firstly, I like the addition of more bulk for the Klingons, they always made a good choice of actors in the show to make the Klingons look less like people in costumes and more like aliens who have a different overall body to us. Seeing this ingame (especially on the female Klingons) is great.

Thanks, the hair is quite important to me as it's the one thing that stops all the Klingons from looking the same. I don't know how much work it is to make new ridge styles (quite a bit I'd imagine) but from what I can tell, unlocking a much wider array of hair options (all the options I listed should work with the default Klingon head shape) would make the KDF look less like the Attack of the Clones.

I'm also less concerned about new hair as there's quite a wide array already ingame, just faction or NPC locked. Most of the new Delta rising hair for canon characters for instance. I think we got Young Harry's and Old Tom's and the rest are still solely on the heads of NPCs.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Stockier Klingons look good! I'll have to buy another character slot (ugh, why didn't I do this yesterday when they sale was on?) and get the new defaults :)

As for heights, I recently got so sick of my characters with fairly average heights looking short next to NPCs that I decided to write off the height slider entirely and just scale them up to the point they looked "normal" in-game instead of very short. I've heard that the height slider's value isn't really accurate, anyway, since it doesn't account for changes to the body sliders?
    tarran61 wrote: »

Hey, that is not the Federation uniform palette. Not even the Romulan palette is that large, but it does have nice pastel shades that the other factions lack. That's an off duty palette that everyone has access to--I know a few uniform pieces do use that palette, but it's definitely not the norm and makes an unfair comparison. The Fed uniform palette has a green range and better variety in blues over the KDF palette, but it's still limited compared to that off duty palette.

With that said, I'd love if more color ranges were added to the uniform palettes, but I don't really want to give up the existing shades. You couldn't just replace the uniform palettes with that off duty palette, for example, the colors just aren't the same even if there's more variety. KDF should get greens, both Fed and KDF should get purples, Romulans could use more vibrant shades while the others get pastel shades.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I want my D'k Tahg!

Very cool news...
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Mekleth for me! It's like a d'ktagh, but with added twirling potential.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    Male and female sash and male pauldron updates coming sooner than expected. We decided to push what we have so far. Female pauldrons have not been addressed yet.

preview before and after: http://imgur.com/a/9HOAZ
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Ooh, I can finally use the pauldrons with those sashes--nice! The clipping bugged me so much. Everything looks so much better :)
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Very nice work indeed
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    @crypticjoejing can we expect new cranial ridge patterns from the TV series, movies, and VCR actors in the future? I think the males have got a good selection. But the females could use some more.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Zzzzzzzzzzooooooooooommmmmmmmbbbbbbiiiiiieeeeeeee!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    There's been a lot of necromancy as of late.....we may have to call Rick Grimes.if it keeps up
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    it was only half a month past expiration, and considering crypticjoejing himself necroed it a few months back as well as the thread itself still being VERY relevant...i don't see this one getting closed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,737 Community Moderator
    it was only half a month past expiration, and considering crypticjoejing himself necroed it a few months back as well as the thread itself still being VERY relevant...i don't see this one getting closed​​

Exactly. This is a thread started by a Dev about an ongoing improvement project. Still relevant.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    You people have an unnatural fear of the dead.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    not me; i raise the dead in my spare time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I eat zombies....
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

I noticed that the thread has usually been updated even after a year of no continuous replies. I followed @jodarkrider most latest thread. Creating a new thread would be considered trolling. And I hope you didn't just come here to tell me I am a necro. If you intended disrupt at you own amusement, then you have succeeded.

Edit: Thanks @baddmoonrizin and @shadowfang240 for explaining to these 'nice' people that they are exaggerating the situation. I hope they meant it as joke at my expense, otherwise I'd be seriously concerned with them acting like they are mods.

Shame few people had to spoil it.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Let's stop derailing the thread, shall we?
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Exactly. This is a thread started by a Dev about an ongoing improvement project. Still relevant.
    Maybe stake it so it stops falling? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    i'm surprised it's not already...you'd think devs would have the ability to sticky their own threads

granted, this one WAS made back before the vanillapocalypse​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,737 Community Moderator
    @crypticjoejing can we expect new cranial ridge patterns from the TV series, movies, and VCR actors in the future? I think the males have got a good selection. But the females could use some more.

Back to the original query:

Yes, I would like to see some additional cranial ridge patterns as well. Also, and in the spirit of the TOS expansion and the 50th anniversary, I'd love to see Klingon Augment style heads for our playable Klingon captains and BOFFs. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Back to the original query:

Yes, I would like to see some additional cranial ridge patterns as well. Also, and in the spirit of the TOS expansion and the 50th anniversary, I'd love to see Klingon Augment style heads for our playable Klingon captains and BOFFs. :)

That be great idea for the anniversary. People are discussing TMP options as well here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/comment/12934552

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    One more thing coming soonish: more skin tone options for Klingons http://imgur.com/9bkakFz

Wow. When you guys actually put that into a blog/ad copy call it "more than tripled the number of skin tones.

I read more and expected 3-5, not TWELVE new options :).

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Male and female sash and male pauldron updates coming sooner than expected. We decided to push what we have so far. Female pauldrons have not been addressed yet.

preview before and after: http://imgur.com/a/9HOAZ

Another wow! Those looks SO MUCH BETTER. Clearly whatever time they are giving you is being put to good use :)!!