What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Login server issues again?

Comments

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, add me to one of the people who have been having rubberbanding, lag and disconnects worse than usual lately. Only mild trouble with login queues though.

Its not so the game is unplayable but its annoying. And no, my internet is fine. Its not my end.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,116 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cryptic, in its grand wisdom, thought that having neverwinter and sto on the same server was the most brilliant idea

Do you have a cite for that? And if that's the case, how come that NW doesn't seem to have similar issues?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    To the staff, you want to stop the insanity? Convince your bosses the best way to permanently fix the problem is to put Neverwinter on their own server. That will fix a ton of issues and allow you to get back to creating content or fixing PvP.
    I'm not convinced it's a direct server load issue. My hunch is that it's likely something in the netcode. Direct server computational load would likely produce smoother lag, rather than the hefty bumps I see. It could very well be database, depending on how they handle writes.

I'm getting the sense that STO's client and server are frequently disagreeing with each other, likely surrounding the Trait system. It looks like STO uses a client-anticipate model, where the client handles many of the calculations in order to be responsive to the user, but the server backchecks it. You end up getting a rubberband when the server tells the client "no". I wouldn't be surprised if the calculations around traits are different on the client and server. (It could possibly be database replication delay causing this disconnect, aswell)

I could be completely off base on that, though. I don't have access to the server graphs nor the code documents.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I am not saying that this thread doesn't belong in General. I am saying that BUG reports belong in a tech forum. There is a distinct difference.

This thread is a customer complaint. General is as good a place for that as anywhere else on the forums.

I'm sorry, I may just be a bit salty because I posted a thread here a while back with data showing that it was NOT an internet issue and must be with the server or code, but it got banished to the tech support forum.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can say that I have had relatively few issues on my own laptop and haven't noticed sustained lag or frequent disconnects, but my sons playing on different PC's from the same internet connection using the same OS have had more issues.

We don't play any other MMO's, so I couldn't speak to that. I don't even see how it's all that relevant whether other MMO's play fine or not, unless they're other PWE MMO's. Different code is different code.

I do hope that whatever problem is affecting so many players can be identified and cleared up quickly. You have my empathy if you're experiencing this.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm not convinced it's a direct server load issue. My hunch is that it's likely something in the netcode. Direct server computational load would likely produce smoother lag, rather than the hefty bumps I see. It could very well be database, depending on how they handle writes.

I'm getting the sense that STO's client and server are frequently disagreeing with each other, likely surrounding the Trait system. It looks like STO uses a client-anticipate model, where the client handles many of the calculations in order to be responsive to the user, but the server backchecks it. You end up getting a rubberband when the server tells the client "no". I wouldn't be surprised if the calculations around traits are different on the client and server. (It could possibly be database replication delay causing this disconnect, aswell)

I could be completely off base on that, though. I don't have access to the server graphs nor the code documents.

While I can appreciate what you are saying may I remind you that this was much less of a problem before they merged the two games on to one server? One thing to support my position is the fact that they have introduced login queues. I haven't seen those since I switched from a gold to a lifetime 5 years ago. But that seems to indicate they are having problems with the amount of traffic on the server. That may just be a symptom of a overall failure like the one you are describing. Too bad we don't have someone who can tell us what is really going on.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    While I can appreciate what you are saying may I remind you that this was much less of a problem before they merged the two games on to one server?
    They did not "merge" the game onto 1 Server. The Account Server has always been shared - so that all Cryptic players can communicate with each other, use the same login information, etc. This was true when the company only consisted of CO and STO and it is true today with the addition of NW. The game Servers have always been separate - and all the Servers are rented from Cogent and are not owned by Cryptic at all. And the game had login queues the day it Launched.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    They did not "merge" the game onto 1 Server. The Account Server has always been shared - so that all Cryptic players can communicate with each other, use the same login information, etc. This was true when the company only consisted of CO and STO and it is true today with the addition of NW. The game Servers have always been separate - and all the Servers are rented from Cogent and are not owned by Cryptic at all. And the game had login queues the day it Launched.

Aha!!!! so now someone has finally told us something. Thank you the cosmic1 you have cleared up a good portion of the muddy water.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,545 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I haven't noticed any abnormal server issues this week. Weeknights I've been playing for 2-4 hours a night starting around 6 PM Pacific time, weekends moe like 6-8 hours starting around noon.

I'm not saying "it's just you", I'm saying "it's not everyone."

But if the servers itself was the issue then I would expect it to be affecting me too. So, it is probably at least one step away from it. Your ISP, the connection between your ISP and Cryptic's ISP, the internal connections from Cryptic's server(s) . . . ?
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    - and all the Servers are rented from Cogent and are not owned by Cryptic at all. And the game had login queues the day it Launched.

Not necessarily true. While it could be, Cogent's main thing is highspeed networking housing for servers. Designed to give a controlled environmental server locker so to say, for servers to be stored in, AC cooled and have direct connection to a backbone networking infrastructure.

Simply looking up what Cogent is can reveal that they delight more in dealing with internet connections and networking. Not server maintenance. I used to work at a company that did something similar to this and the description of Cogent's services is exactly like the facility we used, which we owned and operated the servers.

As for the games being on the same server, that is possible, but it might be in a different OS instance. IE a Blade or Hyper V setup. A company is capable of setting up satellite offices designed only for maintaining the hardware needs in Boston while they are mainly located in Sunny California, or where ever they want to be.
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    saross wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. While it could be, Cogent's main thing is highspeed networking housing for servers. Designed to give a controlled environmental server locker so to say, for servers to be stored in, AC cooled and have direct connection to a backbone networking infrastructure.

Simply looking up what Cogent is can reveal that they delight more in dealing with internet connections and networking. Not server maintenance. I used to work at a company that did something similar to this and the description of Cogent's services is exactly like the facility we used, which we owned and operated the servers.

As for the games being on the same server, that is possible, but it might be in a different OS instance. IE a Blade or Hyper V setup. A company is capable of setting up satellite offices designed only for maintaining the hardware needs in Boston while they are mainly located in Sunny California, or where ever they want to be.

It is most likely VMs. The real question is the database backend, I think. In theory, CPU can be increased simply by adding more slices. The real trick is the database. Simply adding more CPU doesn't work for databases the way it does for more traditional computing. I/O load is of prime importance, but even more important is designing the queries to the database properly. The slightest misstep can turn something from almost instant to several minutes or more.

But as I was saying earlier, the issues seem to come when doing certain things or just suddenly jump up out of nowhere, then it's back to normal. In the past, I have seen things where it was definitely server load, where just trying to walk around ESD was a continuous series of rubberbanding. That isn't the case anymore. Instead, we get disconnects on login. Disconnects on zoning. Massive rubberbanding. Weird desyncs that can last multiple minutes where the server will continue to send you data, but refuse to respond to you, so you get to sit there watching your ship get blown up...

I'm intrigued by the people that turned off traits and found it much more stable. That certainly is suggestive that the server is having issues processing the trait modifications. I've also had disconnects just after logging in if I try to bring up my character sheet or doff mission window too soon.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm intrigued by the people that turned off traits and found it much more stable. That certainly is suggestive that the server is having issues processing the trait modifications. I've also had disconnects just after logging in if I try to bring up my character sheet or doff mission window too soon.

Could be... And yet...

I love traits. I've got traits slotted all over the place on my main. Rep traits, ship mastery traits, etc. I haven't experienced a lot of issues on any of my characters.

My sons have yet to complete a single Reputation, nor have they reached T5 mastery on any ship AFAIK. But they were both experiencing issues on the PC's they were using. Not as bad as some people seem to be having, but more than me.

Whatever the real problem is, I'm not sure that's the root cause. Worth giving it a shot for those who are having bad experiences, I guess. Maybe someone will stumble on some weird combination of factors causing issues. Can't hurt to tinker if things are already not working well.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    What if its a combination of ship traits? I think there was this bug that involved the trait from the Sarr Theln and either the trait from the Pathfinder, Scryer, or Dauntless a while ago that was pretty nasty...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Do you have a cite for that? And if that's the case, how come that NW doesn't seem to have similar issues?

ORLY?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?893831-If-You-Have-Lag

(It was started nby a NW 'white knight' similar to the STO white knights here claiming "It CAN'T be Cryptic's severs..." yet like many they have no issues with other internet access (including other non-Cryptic PWI games if you read down the thread.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It strikes again, was on Kobali prime, started encountering rubber banding of severe degree and now been frozen with Server not responding for at least 5 minutes while everything else outside of STO is working fine.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Same her in Frozen.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have not been lagging this badly in a video game since I was using a 56k modem in the 90's.

This rubberbanding issue and lag has plagued my STO experience since the 5th Anniversary. It has consistently driven me away from the game to other online games where I do not experience this kind of lag.

My ping is at a predictable 80-90 before suddenly spiking to 1800-2000, which results in a constant "Stop and Go" experience in STO.

I do not really care what the cause of it is, but the fact so many others have been experiencing the same thing lately (and for me it has gotten worse), I'm going to assume that this is not on my side of things. Regardless of what the specific issue (or number of issues) may be, the problem exists.

It has gotten so bad that my high yield torpedos and torpedo spreads actually end up activating twice, with the first one being a "phantom" effect (where it shows as fired but actually does nothing), with the second volley being the one that actually connects and hits. This also means there are times when all I see is a "phantom" attack where I skillfully execute a maneuver, but it simply does not register at all.

This is ruining my STO experience. This has been making me irritated and frustrated since the 5th Anniversary. It is making me want to play less, no matter what shiny new ships you put in the C-store or in a lockbox.

What is the point of me buying T6 Command or Intelligence ships when my connection to STO has been that unstable for so long?

Why do I want a T6 D'Deridex when I couldn't even enjoy it with all the rubberbanding and lag?

This not only needs to be fixed, but someone at Cryptic needs to go on record honestly stating what the issue is, why it is occuring, and what is being done to fix it. I do not care who gets thrown under the bus.

Players are spending time and energy running traceroutes, doing speed tests, and running other diagnostics on their end of things.

Cryptic, please meet us halfway on this and tell us what is going on. At the very least, for the peace of mind that players can stop wasting their time trying to troubleshoot something that isn't in their side of things to begin with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    well, lets see here..

game just lagged to a crawl.. and its been off and on all morning.. Now the launcher is up but cannot seem to get a confirmation on the version number..

I would venture to say that stinks in Kishnev here!

Very frustrating.. got my number 2 delta within a hairs breadth of kicking level 58, with today the last day of the double XP.. and currently working Kobili prime ground maps... should be blow right to the end of the arc without having to do any repeats to make sure I have the levels... I hope.

What ever the cause is, get on it.. faster!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    IF it is a server issue, then why doesn't EVERYONE suffer through it? Yes they have had server issues where everyone was lagging...badly. And they have server issues where nobody can log in (about once a week in fact...usually on thursday). Just because you can ping to a server doesn't mean that it isn't the internet. Pings don't care what order the data comes and goes...this game does at part...like say space combat. They are not using the same method of getting data across the internet...so having good ping time doesn't mean anything honestly. So until you see wide spread...and I mean wide spread...as in even plasmanugget admit that he is getting lag, it's not the server. And yes I am actually one of the players who has suffered more lag then usual. In fact, I could not play most of the weekend due to it (which I can understand it being server stress since I saw a LOT of people I haven't seen in months with the bonus exp from both the DR and weekend)...and most of yesterday and monday...and it looks like today too. Now for code...yes it could be a code issue. There could be a setting on your computer that does not work well with the STO code. It could even be a BIG code issue for a lot of people. That possibility is worth looking into...but that is what bug reports are for.
    Over 7 hours of pinging. 0 lost, less than 20 ms avg, less than 50 at worst, with a low deviation. If the packets were coming out of order or some other nonsense, you would not see a record like that. And while I haven't run wireshark on STO packets, I would assume they're using UDP like most realtime so that an out of order packet is simply dropped, rather than futzing around with the timeouts and corrections of TCP.

Code issue would not just be a setting on my computer. The trait suggestion is a perfect example. Might it be the more space traits that are active the worse it is? Could it be certain traits are being calculated different by the client and server causing deadlocks and corrections?

I suggest you don't base your opinion on one user that provides no data. What does plasmanugget do in game? Does he just sit on his starbase? Does he only run the exchange? Could even, shocking, be lying in order to troll people? I'm experiencing this, you're experiencing this, lots of other people are experiencing this. traceroute data says it's not the internet. I've got a reasonably powerful PC that runs other online games without these issues (ones that require vastly greater power than STO), so I'm quite certain it's not the hardware on my end.

That leaves it as a server or code issue on Cryptic's part. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sold on it being a simple server load issue, but I cannot be certain. My gut says it's something with the code, or the difference between client and server code.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since the last server down time, besides the horrible rubber banding, I'm getting disconnected when switching maps about 70% of the time. I simply expect to be disconnected now. It's the new normal.

Ive dramatically reduced my playing time the past few days. That's all. Simple solution. After the anniversary event I've noticed more Cryptic's trend of just riding out gimped events without fixing anything. I've given up expecting a fix and kind of tired of these cheerleaders telling me is my computer or ISP that changed the exact same time these events started.
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Currently I am playing STO, have it minimized, with this going, two other computers in my house chewing my bandwidth, and I've got a youtube vid playing on a loop for a custom soundtrack.

The only lag I get is for a few seconds when I pull STO back up. That aside, everything is fine on my end, and I live in the sticks with DSL internet.

I have seen a lot of people complain about lag and rubber banding lately, but whatever the issue its not affecting everyone.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For all of these complaints...heck for all the complaints over the years I hardly ever see any of it...yeah sometimes I get a crash now and then and sometimes lag when the whole server sees it.

Before anyone says it...I don't have a top of the line computer or super expensive hyper fast internet.

Since the patch tuesday, every time I've played STO everything has been smooth as usual.
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited April 2015

I'm one of said people whos done that testing...
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What part of ping DON'T USE THE SAME PROTOCAL AS GAME DATA DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND. You can ping all you like, but that fact won't change. JUST because the ping packets echos back quickly does not mean that there isn't a connection issue with the TCP/UDP connection. Pings use ICMP. All of which is done through the IP. So all a ping says is that the IP is fine...it does not mean that the TCP or UDP is. So unless you run a packet tracer for TCP/UDP...whichever STO uses (I think it's TCP actually...old engine and all), ping data is rather meaningless for finding out about the source of lag. So stop with this ping fine TRIBBLE...it isn't the data that is meaningful.
    ICMP packets are given lowest priority. Most routers on the internet do not do deep packet inspection and at most only sort other packets based on source or destination (either address or port number). If there is any sorting based on source and address, it would also affect pings. Tens of thousands of pings over several days, not one lost, avg ping time under 20ms, worst ping times hitting 50ms. That is a CLEAN ROUTE. That is the point. Packets are not being dropped. Packets are moving through quickly. The physics involved don't radically change from ICMP to TCP. The packets still move along the route.

I did a quick tcpdump, and you are correct that it is actually using TCP, which doesn't help performance at all, but should still be fine on a clean route.

20:57:38.719484 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 15906, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 40)
    192.168.0.4.56045 > 208.95.186.27.7086: Flags [.], cksum 0x2f0d (correct), ack 100077, win 256, length 0
    20:57:38.719645 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 114, id 1343, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 1500)
    208.95.186.27.7086 > 192.168.0.4.56045: Flags [.], cksum 0xddcc (correct), seq 100077:101537, ack 170, win 256, length 1460
    20:57:38.719697 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 114, id 1344, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 1500)
    208.95.186.27.7086 > 192.168.0.4.56045: Flags [.], cksum 0xea2e (correct), seq 101537:102997, ack 170, win 256, length 1460

Amusingly, it actually changes which IP address it talks to when zoning, rather than the game's traffic going through a load balancer:

20:57:36.220561 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 114, id 1509, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 433)
    208.95.186.23.7387 > 192.168.0.4.56037: Flags [P.], cksum 0xaa47 (correct), seq 166562:166955, ack 48347, win 256, length 393
    20:57:36.220733 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 15833, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 1500)
    192.168.0.4.56037 > 208.95.186.23.7387: Flags [P.], cksum 0xec72 (correct), seq 49807:51267, ack 166955, win 3314, length 1460
    20:57:36.220748 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 15834, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 770)
    192.168.0.4.56037 > 208.95.186.23.7387: Flags [P.], cksum 0x8c8c (correct), seq 51267:51997, ack 166955, win 3314, length 730

Maybe I'll grab a full session and run it through wireshark later, but I'm pretty well satisfied it's not on my end.
    As for nothing on your end...well it doesn't matter how good your computer is, if STO doesn't like something in your computer settings, it will perform poorly.
    If we were talking about low fps or stuttering, I would agree with you. But that's not what we're seeing. It isn't a performance issue. My computer continues to beautifully render my ship being pummeled to death with me unable to do anything at all because cryptic's server is not responding to my commands. It also does that zoom-back rendering during rubberbands. If this was my machine's performance, we'd be seeing stuttering, not rubberbanding. Unless you're going to suggest that's it's a problem with my NIC, but that would affect other pieces of software, and I'm not seeing it. STO doesn't have it's own network stack.
    And who says I take plasma's word for it? Remember, I actually have lag/crashing issues first hand. So while I am not gonna say that NOBODY suffers from increased issues, I will not jump and say it's cryptic's fault. Not when there are vast number of people who seems to be just fine. It's called perspective...try it sometimes.
    Well, you were the one that said you wouldn't blame cryptic as long as people like plasma were around. An open mind is important, but not so open that your brain falls out. :)
  • Options
    kazumigatakazumigata Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ok I get the Server not responding and a log in timed out for about 3 hrs b4 I can get back in to the game. I think this problem should be looked into a bit more.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, a session log for a TCP trace would be useful data. And I agree that TCP is probably not helping the matter. You once again assumed you have a clean route without ACTUALLY verification. Don't assume. Once you have verified everything on your side...and I mean completely, then you can move onto cryptic by scientific method instead of because you think so.
    I have many hours of running mtr. The route is clean and stable.