Install Arc
Options

Login server issues again?

Comments

• Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    flesson616 wrote: »
    You said the same thing about one of my posts, i had to goto page 7 to find it, really, does it hurt you that a new post was created?

Look at his post history. Youll notice a pattern.

As for the Topic. I was just running some Delta Quadrant Patrols and the lag was pretty bad. It wasnt to the point that I couldnt accomplish anything. But it was making things difficult.

But Im sure someone will come along to tell us all about how ALL of our computers and ALL of our connections is behind it. Even though we're all from different regions of the country/world. And using different computer models.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've seen a few thread of people complaining about lag and such the last few days, but I have to say I've experienced none of it.:confused:

The game has been running like a dream for me, as smooth as it ever has.

The game has been lagging a bit recently, just that it is not in general but rather in specific spots within the game..... Fleet Starbase defense has been abit lagge at time, and ISA gets laggy horrendously within the first couple of minutes.....other places in the game are smooth as glass. Based on this I'm thinking they are having issues on some of their server, and it's likely an internal issues to cryptics network and communications between servers.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've had nights with horrible lag, and then days without any noticeable lag at all. If your experiencing it constantly, you may need to look at how information is getting between you and the servers.

Things that can cause lag:
    - Servers too busy to process and send all needed information to the clients
    - Too much information is needed to be transmitted between the server and all the clients
    - Traffic slowdown on the Internet pipe between you and the server
    - Your router/modem not able to process packets quickly enough
    - The server's ISP not being able to handle the amount of traffic
    - The server not having enough network bandwidth to deal with the traffic

Ultimately the lag for me seems to be more the number of instances for an area and then the population in the specific one I'm in.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    there could be any number of reasons for the issue and you seem to think cryptic are directly behind it? have you ran tracert and other fuctions that can determine where the issue is? because if you can, post it in the correct place (which is not here), and see if it gets any help.
    +10
    I am in Belgium, granted I have a super connection (250MBpsup AND down), and I have barely any form of lag.
    And YES, I do play in American times as well.
    True, I do not do STF's due to the reason there are too many arses there that get on your case "if you do not have "enough" dps", which is absolute cow dump.
    You have a bad server in between you and Cryptic, and blaming Cryptic is a tad simple, no?
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Things that can cause lag:
    - Servers too busy to process and send all needed information to the clients
    - Too much information is needed to be transmitted between the server and all the clients
    - Traffic slowdown on the Internet pipe between you and the server
    - Your router/modem not able to process packets quickly enough
    - The server's ISP not being able to handle the amount of traffic
    - The server not having enough network bandwidth to deal with the traffic

Let me add: DDOS.
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cryptic STO right now is barely playable and at times completley UNPLAYABLE

So its basically just like Rebirth ?
    Good to know that they are at least partially listening to their players .
  • Options
    nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2015
    I'm wondering if the lag some of you are experiancing my be do to your internet
    connections ? Personally I have played lag free since launch.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    When it comes to this, Cryptic is doing a fairly good job.
    Last week, if I recall correctly, they made a patch to fix rubberbanding for the most part, and IMHO this worked splendidly.
    That is, it did TO ME!

Afore I had huge rubberbanding issues, their fix actually did it for me.

Granted, I still do have a rubberbanding spike, but I can't tell where this comes from, I suspect, seeing these spikes when people suddenly are confronted with the Log-In Queue, it is a side effect to this swarming the servers.

And quite baffling, even then, I had a DARNED stable connection, save for some spikes!!!

So, BRAVO Cryptic!
    Respect.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    GD is NOT the place for small brained morons to post bug/technical issues... There is a section specifically for reports...

It hurts him for sure, because he is so dead set on the lag not existing for anyone that every time one of these threads opens up he has to tell them that they don't lag and then gets shot down by half the forum telling to shut up :p
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    nassiris wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the lag some of you are experiancing my be do to your internet
    connections ? Personally I have played lag free since launch.

That would explain things if people were getting lag in every part of the game, however people are only getting lag in certain instances of certain locations in the game, for example instance #1 of the defaru invasion zone was lagging like hell last night, with two step rubber banding and UI freezing, but instance #2 of the same zone was working lag free, that hints a server issue not a connection issue because if it was a connection issue then both instances would be lagging.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    That would explain things if people were getting lag in every part of the game, however people are only getting lag in certain instances of certain locations in the game, for example instance #1 of the defaru invasion zone was lagging like hell last night, with two step rubber banding and UI freezing, but instance #2 of the same zone was working lag free, that hints a server issue not a connection issue because if it was a connection issue then both instances would be lagging.

Was just thinking as I was reading your post, I'm running STO on a Quad Core I7 so I may have a better setup then some. But the thought did occur to me if maybe graphic's may be playing a part in this issue if their trying to push their card too hard.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    System lag indeed can be an issue.
    Good thinking.
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited April 2015

The other thing to remember is the people in the instance. Certain items I have found lead to more lag than not. In some test running ISA for example, we removed traits and the pilot tree. Our lag we saw that time was virtually gone, there still was some but not enough where it sucked. Having those same items on and active, lag galore.
    I'm wondering if the lag some of you are experiancing my be do to your internet connections ? Personally I have played lag free since launch.

Compare the entire picture together. You are talking internet connections... But honestly, are you using the exact same skills and traits and setup that those people WITH the lag are using? People like to stop with computer and ISP. Well what if something INSIDE the game is causing issues and those are things that not everyone uses. What if the game is causing issues from skills, traits, or the newest trees and additions to the game? Did it occur to that those MIGHT be issues?

Some of us has very focused builds, ie for DPS and those builds require certain setups to get up high. And those might things you and others may NEVER use because you simply don't care to use them and they won't affect your play style.
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    there could be any number of reasons for the issue and you seem to think cryptic are directly behind it? have you ran tracert and other fuctions that can determine where the issue is? because if you can, post it in the correct place (which is not here), and see if it gets any help.

Mirror im curious as to why when someone has a serious concern like this you are one of the first people to come on the thread to blame the player?

I understand you like this game personally this is my favorite game and thats why i felt this problem needed to be adressed.

So just because your not having an issue means everyone else is not having an issue is this correct wt using your logic?

I only posted this thread after i relised by asking people in game if they were experiancing the same exact issue as me and after i asked on the sum of 50 people non fleet members.

I felt it was time to post this issue.
    Not to flame or troll,this is a serious question:

What warrants a new post when we already have two of them about the same subject in the first two pages of this section?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1430051

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1430651

Really interested in knowing since it seems that no new information has been disclosed by you nor you really add anything new to the conversation apart from a veiled threat that you wont be spending any more money...

I did not see those thread at the time i made my own had i been aware of them i would've posted on one of those.

If a mod feel this needs to be moved to another thread i would not be insulted my main concern is being able to play the game and not lag so much the game is unplayable.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've seen a few thread of people complaining about lag and such the last few days, but I have to say I've experienced none of it.:confused:

The game has been running like a dream for me, as smooth as it ever has.

Same here...I was on last night and it was fine...did a BDC and it was fine as well.
  • Options
    mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    With me, in all my years playing, it has never been as bad as it is now for instability, lag etc.

Still on the same connection as i always have had, which is a good one.

The only thing it can be is either the game or my old computer, so, with me getting my new comp next week, im just waiting to see how it goes with that.

But yeah, the game is unplayable at times for me at the moment.

Edit: and if i get a response saying im whinging, please take note of my 39 posts in 3 years and fatefully f*** off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Was just thinking as I was reading your post, I'm running STO on a Quad Core I7 so I may have a better setup then some. But the thought did occur to me if maybe graphic's may be playing a part in this issue if their trying to push their card too hard.

I run an I7 extreme process with 32gb ram, 2x SLI 980GT cards, and a PCIe SSD drive from G.Skill.

I see lag whether on max or minimum graphics.

Issue spawns from other multiple spots. And my traceroutes and pings average a 39ms time to the server. ;-)
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes a lot of people are having connection issues lately. There can't be enough threads about this until the problem finally gets officially acknowledged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    saross wrote: »
    The other thing to remember is the people in the instance. Certain items I have found lead to more lag than not. In some test running ISA for example, we removed traits and the pilot tree. Our lag we saw that time was virtually gone, there still was some but not enough where it sucked. Having those same items on and active, lag galore.

Compare the entire picture together. You are talking internet connections... But honestly, are you using the exact same skills and traits and setup that those people WITH the lag are using? People like to stop with computer and ISP. Well what if something INSIDE the game is causing issues and those are things that not everyone uses. What if the game is causing issues from skills, traits, or the newest trees and additions to the game? Did it occur to that those MIGHT be issues?

Some of us has very focused builds, ie for DPS and those builds require certain setups to get up high. And those might things you and others may NEVER use because you simply don't care to use them and they won't affect your play style.

Maybe I just don't have a good understanding of game mechanic's but I don't seem to understand how a players build could cause these lag issues. From what I understand players are talking about it sounds like it's one or two things, either internet collection or hardware issues.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not saying there isn't a problem, just saying it's not Cryptic therefor.
    If it was Cryptic, EVERYONE would have the same issues.
    Which seems not to be the case.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    saross wrote: »

That's all in with what I'm talking about, I missed out a word in my post, when I typed server I meant server side, meaning anything from the servers themselves to the game software on the servers, although it could also be the game client itself too. I'm just saying I seriously doubt it's anything to do with internet connection because it's not broad enough for each individual suffering it to be a connection issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

Some people say it may be cogent at play is why we have alot of lag but ive also heard that neverwinter is having a huge update so thats why were lagging.

Personally id like to know which it is and if its true that its due to neverwinter then its something they can fix but if its cogent then were all at cogents mercy and cogent has no mercy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

As I said before if it was at our end or a connection issue then it would effect those it is effecting in every part of the game, but it's not every part of the game, it's specific instances of specific zones in the game, which strongly hints at it being on Cryptics end, wether it's the client, the server software or the server itself, it just isn't a connection issue and isn't a users hardware/software issue by the looks of it.
  • Options
    sftricksftrick Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As I said before if it was at our end or a connection issue then it would effect those it is effecting in every part of the game, but it's not every part of the game, it's specific instances of specific zones in the game, which strongly hints at it being on Cryptics end, wether it's the client, the server software or the server itself, it just isn't a connection issue and isn't a users hardware/software issue by the looks of it.

I don't know how Cryptic's servers are set up, but it's possible that some zone instances live in different network compartments, or even different data centers, from other zones/instances. If that's the case, network issues could easily cause the sort of lag you're describing. In fact, if only some people experience the issue while others don't, the most likely causes of lag would seem to be either internet routing, or client hardware.
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2015

They have been posted and ignored many times.
  • Options
    mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Some people say it may be cogent at play is why we have alot of lag but ive also heard that neverwinter is having a huge update so thats why were lagging.

Personally id like to know which it is and if its true that its due to neverwinter then its something they can fix but if its cogent then were all at cogents mercy and cogent has no mercy.

Yeah, it does seem every time neverwinter gets a big update STO goes down the tube for stability and lag.

If it is the case then... how about they put their hands in their pockets, let management miss out on this years new car's and get it sorted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Excuse me, but who said it's at YOUR end?
    There are dozens of in-between connection points that could be the cause.
    I NEVER said it "has to be on YOUR end", brother.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sftrick wrote: »
    I don't know how Cryptic's servers are set up, but it's possible that some zone instances live in different network compartments, or even different data centers, from other zones/instances. If that's the case, network issues could easily cause the sort of lag you're describing.

If they are in entirely different data centres then maybe a connection issue to that data center would cause specific instances to lag, yes. But I have never heard of a single game having their servers spread across multiple data centres in different locations, that would just be crazy, it would cause serious sync issues and be a nightmare to maintain, not to mention adding additional unwanted network ping times. I highly doubt that is the case.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Common people lets keep this civil

We dont need to be at each others throats i know were all frusterated with the lag but fighting one another wont do any good except to get the thread closed.

So please keep the responses civil :)

Thank you
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Is it just me or that came out a bit arrogant and maybe even like a veiled insult?¿
    Kinda sounds like if you arent in a dps group,use the latest traits,bo's etc etc you're a noob hence you dont suffer lag?

Motto or tittle of your post might aswell be:

Only the 733T lag!!!

Hahahaha priceless!! At last the elitist get what they deserve ;)

P.S: Last comment was meant to be sarcastic,dont want the "blue" fellow" to message me,then again maybe some of you cant take a joke aswell as you can dish out the harsh comments.

Does a sci based build need the skills that increase beam damage? If so then man, my science who uses exotic damage is missing out. Some people play and love science so much that they may never use any other profession.

Others RP and only make their builds to resemble the ship without care of what it gets.

Others simply aren't aware of what IS out there and play the content trying to get their things for the rep projects. Until someone sits down and explains things they been trying to learn they may never use them.

BTW, if you are adding emotion to my text, than I'm sorry you understood it differently.

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Excuse me, but who said it's at YOUR end?
    There are dozens of in-between connection points that could be the cause.
    I NEVER said it "has to be on YOUR end", brother.

I didn't say you did, I said "if it was at our end OR CONNECTION ISSUES", I was covering both areas in one statement, because if I left it out someone might jump in and say "ok if it's not connection then it's at your end".