Options

Login server issues again?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Common people lets keep this civil

We dont need to be at each others throats i know were all frusterated with the lag but fighting one another wont do any good except to get the thread closed.

So please keep the responses civil :)

Thank you
    I agree fully, thank you, Joran.
    belidos wrote: »
    I didn't say you did, I said "if it was at our end OR CONNECTION ISSUES", I was covering both areas in one statement, because if I left it out someone might jump in and say "ok if it's not connection then it's at your end".
    I know, just making sure I was not being misunderstood.
    I did not mean any insult here, nor did I accuse you of this.
    If I got over badly, I apologize.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The constant disconnects and severe rubberbanding started right after the server downtime a few days after DR started. Those first few days were fine. Then the server maintenance and bam, disconnects and rubberbanding.

The second the anniversary event started we had the crazy tray lag which lasted the whole event and disappeared as soon as the event was over. There must be a group of conspiracists getting together during the exact moment Cryptic changes something, sabotaging their ISP or computers...the exact same time Cryptic starts an event or does maintenance. Talk about coordination!
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    I know, just making sure I was not being misunderstood.
    I did not mean any insult here, nor did I accuse you of this.
    If I got over badly, I apologize.

No worries, forum text Is hard to emote and relate to :)
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So true. :)
  • Options
    sftricksftrick Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    If they are in entirely different data centres then maybe a connection issue to that data center would cause specific instances to lag, yes. But I have never heard of a single game having their servers spread across multiple data centres in different locations, that would just be crazy, it would cause serious sync issues and be a nightmare to maintain, not to mention adding additional unwanted network ping times. I highly doubt that is the case.

Lots of games do this. I could name several off the top of my head.

Assuming characters are kept somewhat centrally (which we know they are, on the account servers), sync issues aren't a consideration. When entering a new instance, regardless of where it might be, the instance server just needs to query the account server, and voila, sync has happened.

I can't think of any reason the servers would all need to be in the same physical location. The point that doing that would reduce latency is true, but that would come at the cost of putting all of the server eggs in one basket. A well-designed system (and I'm not saying STO is one) would be set up in a way that would allow the servers to be diversified across multiple locations to allow the overall system to stay up in the case of localized outages.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sftrick wrote: »
    Lots of games do this. I could name several off the top of my head.

Assuming characters are kept somewhat centrally (which we know they are, on the account servers), sync issues aren't a consideration. When entering a new instance, regardless of where it might be, the instance server just needs to query the account server, and voila, sync has happened.

I can't think of any reason the servers would all need to be in the same physical location. The point that doing that would reduce latency is true, but that would come at the cost of putting all of the server eggs in one basket. A well-designed system (and I'm not saying STO is one) would be set up in a way that would allow the servers to be diversified across multiple locations to allow the overall system to stay up in the case of localized outages.

Well I can only go from experiences I've had in the past with servers in the UK and Ireland (GOA and Mythic before EA took over and shifted it all over to the US), of the centres I've worked that have hosted game servers not one of them have hosted only a portion of the game servers while someone else hosted another portion elsewhere, they've all been in the same data centre, some have been in different buildings at the same data centre so there could be an issue in the network between the buildings but that's local network issues and exactly what I was talking about. But then again the entres I've worked at are big companies who run their own servers, who knows what server leasing companies get up to lol.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not to flame or troll,this is a serious question:

What warrants a new post when we already have two of them about the same subject in the first two pages of this section?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1430051

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1430651

Really interested in knowing since it seems that no new information has been disclosed by you nor you really add anything new to the conversation apart from a veiled threat that you wont be spending any more money...

couldn't you have just skimmed over the thread instead of opening.

but its good to know you are keeping track of all the posts.

maybe if there are multiple threads that means that maybe its an issue for people
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thread merge. Because. We don't need more than one active thread on the topic in General.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Thread merge. Because. We don't need more than one active thread on the topic in General.

Agreed and thanks for merging them :)
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was going to spend 50 USD to get a bortasque pack for my new klingong delta recruit but as it is right now? no chance i wont drop one red cent on a game thats at times unplayable.

imo it sounds like you dodged a bullet. a bit of a mixed blessing there...