test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advanced queue insta-fails being removed! (Azure Rescue first)

davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
It looks like Cryptic is listening to the complaints about advanced queues having the optionals being non-optional:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9111543-advanced-difficulty-pve-queue-changes
To this end we are going to be trying a new system for the progression of PvE queue difficulty. As of this Thursday, March 26, the Azure Nebula Rescue (Advanced) PvE queue will be updated to reflect this new systemic change and if everything about it is well received we will be rolling out similar changes to the rest of our PvE queues. ...

Optionals will be optional again, and timers for the overall run will only be restrictive enough to prevent AFK, bots, etc. (timers will still be in place for optional rewards).

This should be a help for new players, PUGs, and people grinding for crafting mats.
Post edited by davefenestrator on

Comments

• Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Great news!!!
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »
    Great news!!!
    Professor Farnsworth? Is that you? :)
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting. Like the idea.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Good news everyone! You are now reading this post in my voice!
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That's clearly an Undine imposter. Farnsworth says "Good news, everyone!", not "great news". :p
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And it was usually not actually good news...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I may have to PUG this to show my support.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And it was usually not actually good news...

just like in STO!
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's like they *want* people to play the queues.

If the Undine weren't so obsessed with getting rid of weakness I'd suspect the devs were replaced by them.

Brain slug or hypnotoad, all glory to what ever entity brought this about.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I support this decision.. a great way to bridge the learning curve between normals and advanced... wonder if the "same rewards" apply to any BNPs you earn as well at the end... have to try and see...

The BNPs are the biggest issue I think... because we'll still have people with underrated gear and under rated skills trying to get into Advanced just to get their BNPs... and causing e-peen rage because they caused some poor nerd to lose their optionals... and because the noob/newb doesn't know how else to get their BNPs.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    The BNPs are the biggest issue I think... because we'll still have people with underrated gear and under rated skills trying to get into Advanced just to get their BNPs... and causing e-peen rage because they caused some poor nerd to lose their optionals... and because the noob/newb doesn't know how else to get their BNPs.

Well I'd prefer "zerging" through Advanced Pugs for BNPs ... than Insta-Fails & or empty Queues/Pugs ... people raging about Optionals being lost will always be around, and if they really care about it they don't have to Pug ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Also posting in approval.

Much welcomed change and hopefully you will go through and do this for ALL ADV queues, and not just start then think sod it and abandon the idea.

Hopefully can help breathe life back into the affected missions numbers playing wise.

But i gotta ask, this has been a problem, muchly talked about on the forums, usually in a negative light, since Delta Rising was released. So why has it taken what...6(?) months ish to come to this conclusion?.

Still, again, thanks for doing this, for me at least, much appreciated.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    At a glance this is quite exciting news and a welcome change to Advanced Queues!:D

I will, however, reserve my final opinion for after this goes live and I see if it works as advertised, if so...

There will be 'Woo Hoo!'s ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well I'd rather prefer "zerging" through Advanced Pugs for BNPs ... than Insta-Fails & or empty Queues ... people raging about Optionals being lost will always be around, and if they really care about it they don't have to Pug ...

I used to enjoy Infected Conduit (old) Elite. I always pugged it, never premade. I might start to actually enjoy (and do) Infected Conduit Advanced now that I don't have to worry about someone popping a generator on the other side costing me a half hour cooldown.

My Delta Recruit might actually get more than 10 BNP worth of Omega gear now, or even some APC gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Just remember that the changes have not spread to other queues yet. We have to get an ANRA pugging campaign together to prove to Cryptic this is the best balance pass ever and the players really DO love it. :D

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    This is better than the Delta rising expansion..........the good parts I mean :P

seriously is the best move cryptic has made in a long time

Thanks Charles Grey
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I support this decision.. a great way to bridge the learning curve between normals and advanced... wonder if the "same rewards" apply to any BNPs you earn as well at the end... have to try and see...

No, it doesn't, because people couldn't even learn in the first place.

Now, they won't have to learn anything all over again!!!

More brain dead player's, getting by on a nerfed down coloring book missions.

Here's a crayon all, don't go coloring outside the lines!

:mad:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Wraith, why doesn't Elite work for those wanting the greatest challenge? As far as I know, those won't be touched.

• Options
    edited March 2015

You now really... you should go find something better to do you're taking this way to seriously.

I have yet to see you ever say anything good about this game and your fellow players. I'd assume you're a troll but generally you put out good points whether I agree with you or not.

But I do think you occassionally need to take a step back and breath a bit on this one. Even if you're right and people won't learn... this'll help you with your pugs and completing the advanced pugs. Otherwise... don't pug... but how exactly is this a bad thing...

Just because you're e-peen is the size of the empire state building... no one really is all that impressed.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

'Sometime's apo'strophe abu'se work's out for the better.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Wraith, why doesn't Elite work for those wanting the greatest challenge? As far as I know, those won't be touched.

It's not about greatest challenge.

Normal -> Advanced -> Elite

...not...

Normal -> Normal -> Elite

Some people don't want Elite - they wanted something between Normal and Elite. Which was where adding in Advanced and then creating the Elite for those other folks was a good thing.

Folks wanting no challenge could do Normal.
    Folks wanting some challenge could do Advanced.
    Folks wanting more challenge could do Elite.

The game provided for different players.

This is a step backward.

If somebody didn't feel up to Elite but wanted more than Normal...they're being shown the door.

So TRIBBLE Cryptic and TRIBBLE all the folks that wanted this.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I seriously doubt you can force people to "learn", in a Videogame ... there will always be the ones who want to learn & those who don't ... the 2nd Group might be bigger, especially in PUGs, but they'll most likely just stop pugging instead of "learn" -> leading to Dead Queues ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I did not see where Normal and Advanced mechanics were being made identical with each other.

Normal=Small significance to optionals, weak opponents (good training map)
    Advanced=Greater significance to optionals, stronger opponents (should work for the average player once they get geared and trained)
    Elite=Autofails, toughest opponents (the weak will perish, only the strong need apply)

I see a reasonable progression here, and I say this as someone who will only ever be competitive in a very few limited Ground elites I am specifically trained and geared for (currently UIE and my goal is to also be ready for BHE. If I can get the danged Normal map to pop more than the one time so I can *actually train properly.*)

• Options
    edited March 2015

...not...

Some people don't want Elite - they wanted something between Normal and Elite. Which was where adding in Advanced and then creating the Elite for those other folks was a good thing.

This is a step backward.

If somebody didn't feel up to Elite but wanted more than Normal...they're being shown the door.

I don't want a step back... but we needed to do something to fix the learning gap between normal and advanced. This was a good way to do it I think.

It doesn't fully fix the situation.. .and like you said it can cause it to become brain dead easy... but it's a good first step. Now I'm waiting to see how else they intend to fix the situation and rebalance the queues.

Let me put it this way... if they put the optionals back in on advanced... then tweak it a bit in difficulty in other ways... say tie BNPs in with the optionals instead of the end game reward... I'm all for it.

People would still get marks for completing the situation... but their precious BNPs would be optional locked. Place it so completing both optionals in normal gives you 1 bnp... and 3 BNPS in Advanced for both options (numbers are arbitrary obviously) and you bring it back up.

Keep the difficulty of the ships (hps etc) higher in Advanced... and you're kind of a null wash.

BNPs become optional... can be gotten.. .slowly from normal... and the difficulty remains high.

I'm willing to wait to see how else this flows... they did say this was a first step... not a finished product.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I seriously doubt you can force people to "learn", in a Videogame ... there will always be the ones who want to learn & those who don't ... the 2nd Group might be bigger, especially in PUGs, but they'll most likely just stop pugging instead of "learn" -> leading to Dead Queues ...

A second grader could understand what happened to the queues, yet for some reason it completely evades the slightest comprehension from a bunch of folks on the forums here.

Why does somebody have to hit up a queue?

Elite Marks? Nope...even the slow one, the APCs, you're looking at two weeks to have all the APCs you'll need for all the Delta gear. That's the slow one...and that's without hitting a single queue.

Regular Marks? Daily Reward Boxes...not only provide enough to cover the Daily Projects but will start building up a surplus. Odds are they'd have kept adding the Regular Marks to related content as well - so it would have been even easier to get them.

Dil? Dil is all over the place. There are countless threads from folks asking for an increase in the refine cap because Dil is that freaking easy to get in the game.

Crafting Mats? Yeah, one can tell by the prices on the Exchange that those are in a short supply...not.

There is no reason to hit up the queues unless you want to do so...

...and that gets into folks not wanting to hit up the queues with folks that aren't ready for them, eh? So those folks head off to various channels - whether it's higher DPS or even low DPS - where folks just want to play with somebody that's made the least bit of effort to be there, isn't afking, isn't trolling, etc.

What about just some ordinary stuff, eh? Maybe somebody just doesn't enjoy that particular content? Folks have gotten what they thought they might have needed from it already? Maybe they're just doing other things, yeah?

There are all sorts of reasons for the public facing queues to look the way they do while all sorts of channels are going 24/7 running all sorts of stuff.

Folks picking one reason and ignoring all the rest...it's just a Vo'Quv full of /facepalm.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    I am no longer forced into a science ship to do infected............................Nice move
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015

...not...

This is a step backward.

Actually... not ture. The NPCs will still be lv 60. They're just adjusting the objectives. Many of the "Mandatory Optionals" were set too high for a lot of people. Advanced isn't "Some" challenge. Its "Climb this pole with weights on your arms and no hand holds". Elite is SUPPOSED to challenge the best of the best. Advanced is not supposed to do that. Its supposed to be doable with even Mk XII gear. Right now... not so much.

For example: Azure Nebula.
    "Rescue 3 ships in 3 minutes"
    That means you're scrambling right off the bat, and you HAVE to go after 3 ships at once, meaning at least one person will have to solo a ship. And I've struggled in Mk XII gear to even fight a group of Tholians around a Dehlan on advanced because they're HP sponges.

Some of these objectives are just plain ridiculus for a PUG to manage. Yes sometimes you get lucky and have a decent team, but other times... you might get a bad team that can't even handle a Haa'pax group without the entire team there.

I'm a decent player, and I used to be pretty powerful before all the DR changes to the queues.

They advertised that Advanced would be comparable to the old Elite. The only time that is true is if you've actually upgraded everything to Mk XIV already, and maybe do a premade group.

The way I see it, these changes they wanna field test on Azure Nebula is a step in the right direction in getting Advanced to feel more like the Old Elite. Actually doable with a PUG.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A second grader could understand what happened to the queues, yet for some reason it completely evades the slightest comprehension from a bunch of folks on the forums here.

Why does somebody have to hit up a queue?

Elite Marks? Nope...even the slow one, the APCs, you're looking at two weeks to have all the APCs you'll need for all the Delta gear. That's the slow one...and that's without hitting a single queue.

Regular Marks? Daily Reward Boxes...not only provide enough to cover the Daily Projects but will start building up a surplus. Odds are they'd have kept adding the Regular Marks to related content as well - so it would have been even easier to get them.

Dil? Dil is all over the place. There are countless threads from folks asking for an increase in the refine cap because Dil is that freaking easy to get in the game.

Crafting Mats? Yeah, one can tell by the prices on the Exchange that those are in a short supply...not.

There is no reason to hit up the queues unless you want to do so...

...and that gets into folks not wanting to hit up the queues with folks that aren't ready for them, eh? So those folks head off to various channels - whether it's higher DPS or even low DPS - where folks just want to play with somebody that's made the least bit of effort to be there, isn't afking, isn't trolling, etc.

What about just some ordinary stuff, eh? Maybe somebody just doesn't enjoy that particular content? Folks have gotten what they thought they might have needed from it already? Maybe they're just doing other things, yeah?

There are all sorts of reasons for the public facing queues to look the way they do while all sorts of channels are going 24/7 running all sorts of stuff.

Folks picking one reason and ignoring all the rest...it's just a Vo'Quv full of /facepalm.

The problem is... that Cryptic doesn't tell people that there are other ways... but they constantly tell people how to get them via queues.... because queues are all that matter to their metrics... if that's not obvious.

There is a learning issue... where people learn how to complete normals... go to advanced but cause advanced to constantly fail due to optionals being no longer optional and the requirements to complete the now new mandatories are different then what they were on normal.

So basically even if you learn everything you can about the normal version currently... it's no guarentee you're going to be able to do the advanced version... because of different requirements... leading to mass failures... leading to nerd rage and e-peen beatings.

This normalizes the learning curve... you learn the skills and requirements on normal... then go to advanced and just have harder ships... but the same learning curve... making normal exactly what normal is supposed to be for... learning the system until you're ready for Advanced... and those that don't want to learn... stay in normal.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't want a step back... but we needed to do something to fix the learning gap between normal and advanced. This was a good way to do it I think.

It doesn't fully fix the situation.. .and like you said it can cause it to become brain dead easy... but it's a good first step. Now I'm waiting to see how else they intend to fix the situation and rebalance the queues.

Let me put it this way... if they put the optionals back in on advanced... then tweak it a bit in difficulty in other ways... say tie BNPs in with the optionals instead of the end game reward... I'm all for it.

People would still get marks for completing the situation... but their precious BNPs would be optional locked. Place it so completing both optionals in normal gives you 1 bnp... and 3 BNPS in Advanced for both options (numbers are arbitrary obviously) and you bring it back up.

Keep the difficulty of the ships (hps etc) higher in Advanced... and you're kind of a null wash.

BNPs become optional... can be gotten.. .slowly from normal... and the difficulty remains high.

I'm willing to wait to see how else this flows... they did say this was a first step... not a finished product.

Thing is...hit up that rare group that fails (I'm probably down to a 5-7% failure rate on my Advanced queues at this point) and it tends to be a pretty quick failure, right?

That failure rate that's dropped? Why? Because folks actually put a little bit of effort into getting better. At the start of the year, it was closer to 25-30%. People have learned. They've seen that the queue failed. They went to find out why. They went to find out what they could to do to avoid that. Cause there is so much information out there to help everybody from the newest player to the somebody on the cusp of trying to get into the top ten out there. This is an extremely helpful community. Folks were taking advanced of that - and - things have just been getting better and better there.

So now the potentially quick failure is gone...how will the person know that the queue isn't running just the way it's meant to run? It's like the folks that have complained about missions taking 30-45 minutes long...because they never really got any feedback that anything was wrong, meanwhile other folks were doing them in 5-10 minutes. They came to the forums - they got help - no more 30-45 minute missions for them....wheee, excellent!

So how long are folks going to be held hostage in Advanced queues now as folks that have no desire to learn anything (or they would have by now) just go around chasing butterflies?

Why on Earth would Cryptic think this was a good move and would bring back folks to the public queues? The channel runs started up and the public queues started dying off long before Delta Rising came along...and guess how they were? Like what they're doing...it's /facepalmcity.