test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruiting Positives (let's make Tacofangs smile)

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Besides, there was a survey taken about a month ago requesting feedback on what the players wanted, Exploration and new episodes were a clear first and second respectively...

yep, and so far (going by the Dev Blogs posted) we have one new Story mission (going live on 3/26); and THREE new PvE queue events (You know the PvE queues - the content that's probably the least played since DR went live - unless it's an Event queue on an event that awards a lot on completion); so yeah, so far there's evidence they did look at that poll...oh, wait...
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I also was going to create a few more Alts and now this is even more incentive to do so!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the idea. I am a bit skeptical about benefits that last only for that character specifically, but the account unlocks and the idea of server-wide goals and adding something to make replaying old content more interesting sounds great.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here's a thought, Taco:

Maybe instead of doing things *you* think will benefit the players, you ask what the *players* think they'll benefit from and endeavor to do that instead.

Sadly that would require some kind of admission of wrong doing , and you just can't get that on a case by case basis from Cryptic .

Admissions to fixing things -- yes .
    Admissions to shipping things broken -- no .
    Admissions to wanting to replace the entire game -- yes .
    Admissions to at times players having a better perspective due to use of product -- no .

Cryptic communicate in a funny way , and that's putting it mildly .

As to Delta Recruits -- I'm not interested at this point , thus I have not criticized it . :P

... as to Taco ... , he should do something with his hair while he still has some ...
  • johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    There's no pleasing everyone.

Clearly the Delta Recruitment was designed with new players in mind with perks added to provide benefit to ALL characters a player may have. Anyone who believes they have to abandon any of their characters in favor of a Delta Recruit is complaining to hear themselves complain IMO and quite frankly need to shut their cakeholes for a change.

To Tacofangs and the Devs; don't listen to the whining on this one. IMO this is one of the better ideas you all have had since STO launched and I personally look forward to trying it out. I've been passing along the blogs to several friends who are going to try the game during the event.

Please, more stuff like Delta Recruitment.

Maybe players want no more broken content added , they let pvp die its dead i played for 5 years for pvp to die but i don't call anyone names !!, nice new content and missions i like them all but name calling like cakehole is just rude we all have opinions and yours means the same .000000001 % like the rest of us so don't cakehole anybody that wants better game that expresses there opinion just like this post for taco fang ... calling names only starts more problems !!! Taco Fang Rules he actually cares for us I Salute !!
  • johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Sadly that would require some kind of admission of wrong doing , and you just can't get that on a case by case basis from Cryptic .

Admissions to fixing things -- yes .
    Admissions to shipping things broken -- no .
    Admissions to wanting to replace the entire game -- yes .
    Admissions to at times players having a better perspective due to use of product -- no .

Cryptic communicate in a funny way , and that's putting it mildly .

As to Delta Recruits -- I'm not interested at this point , thus I have not criticized it . :P

... as to Taco ... , he should do something with his hair while he still has some ...

I hear you on the above comments it won't happen that means someone has to be blamed way high up the $$ chain in a nice plush comfy office chair which on the office door says "nobody enter' ....
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Asking player what they want would get you hundreds of different and often contradictory priorities. Largely because most people here have no idea what they really want it what it entails. And you'd still have people upset that their per project wasn't given the priority they want.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Asking player what they want would get you hundreds of different and often contradictory priorities. Largely because most people here have no idea what they really want it what it entails. And you'd still have people upset that their per project wasn't given the priority they want.

It all depends on how you ask the questions

poor questions lead to poor responses

Example Colonization Cryptic wants to know how do we do this to make the game better

1. put the old exploration missions back in with a few tweeks

2. make new 5 minute missions like the old ones and scatter them about in our current map

3. make new territory outside the current map with planets to land on and explore, with resources to be gathered ............colonys to be made and supported increasing your factions territory

Npc pirates and empires to deal with thru was and diplomacy, using current duty officers as colonists, building player built duty officer and natives if found as colonists.

NPC ships ship construction stations and factorys to be made to defend and patrol your new territory

now if cryptic asked these question most players would most likely pick number 3

Its all in how you ask the question
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As long as i continue to read "account wide" in relation to delta recruitment, its fine.

The moment they talk about perks that my mains have no access too or ever will have, that's when my eyebrows raise.

I hop they avoid that situation.

As far as a drive to get new players go: So far, this seems like a good idea: replay the old story with a twist, gain perks for your account.

Making this palatable to the old players is important, because you do not want to have your potential new players feeling totally alone. It has to look like its buzzing with activity. Social hubs must have that mix of high and low chars.

ESD must have high tier ships sitting there as well as lower tier. You can see when a game goes to a lull if you only see high tier people around.

Cryptic: continue with the words "account wide" in mind and this will be a success.
    So far, i am looking forward to this.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yep, and so far (going by the Dev Blogs posted) we have one new Story mission (going live on 3/26); and THREE new PvE queue events (You know the PvE queues - the content that's probably the least played since DR went live - unless it's an Event queue on an event that awards a lot on completion); so yeah, so far there's evidence they did look at that poll...oh, wait...

Well, missions take a good deal of time to put together, especially with all the VO scheduling they have to do now. So the release pace of missions is understandable. I'm very happy that we're getting a new mission every month or two - this is kinda awesome.

I would dare to say that the sector space revamp could be considered part of the exploration reintroduction, if not in principle just 'cause it makes sector space a more immersive map and a more fun place to travel. That said, I'm sure building in something for exploration is on the table, but I'm also fairly certain that doing it right is going to take a lot longer than just a month or two. It'll come back, but it'll be season 11 or 12.

Also, they did the Foundry top 3 system, which is along the same track as 'finding random missions while traveling.' I believe somewhere when they were announcing the system, it was said that this was being pushed out specifically as part of reintroducing exploration-style randomness. It also doubled as a hat-tip to Foundry authors for all the great work they do, which is nice to see.
  • kiardraskiardras Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm really looking forward to delta recruit. I won't be abandoning my main, but I've been itching to do a fed alt for about a month now, and held off waiting for the event. I've even got about 1200 Zen ready to drop on the alt on day one (cosmetics, I'm a sucker for them).

So yeah, I can't wait for it to start.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As far as the original topic goes. Delta Recruitment has gotten me excited about a character in a way I haven't been since I made my first Tellarite crotch kicker years ago, his drop kick only went waist high. It got me off my TRIBBLE to remake my very first character, a Vorta, but this time to give him a backstory and even to get the ship i've wanted for years, but never had the resources or will to grind for. TBH, a significant price drop brought about by planned obsolescence didn't hurt either, and I know it's not tier-6 but it's still the best ship I've ever owned.

I'm really excited about delta recruitment, and my only complaint is that I still have 8 days to wait.
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Effect the abilitys and performance of my current characters....Now I care..A lot now I am forced to level a new character to keep my main character up to date

Give him equipment that's has advantages over my current characters now I care

When this hits and progresses then we will know the intentions of cryptic but still this is the mechanic to be used to make our current character obsolete just like the T-u mechanic is making our ships Obsolete

Those would have to be some pretty impressive advantages over your current character to make the new one desirable over your original main. Consider all the things your main has that won't be available to this new character unless/until a special event rolls around. Consider all the work that has gone into your main, in some cases over years of play, that would need to be repeated for your Delta recruit to even catch up, much less surpass, your main.

Now, I don't know what Delta Recruitment is bringing, but to obsolete your main, those would have to be some really incredible bonuses.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have no worries at present with the delta recruit event but some people worry if they don't see it in righting that there is some underlying plan that we might not like, this is compounded by the fact that very little real information has been released regarding the delta recruit and if he will or will not have any benefits or advantages after the event.

I am sure if the devs released a blog to say that the delta recruit will have no advantages over and above those of a regular (non delta) character and that anyone who doesn't take part will be no worse off above a few shines that are no better then anything you can pick up in game else where i.e c-store or through play this would go a long way to depell peoples fears.

the devs need to realise that some of the players are paranoid in the extreme and if there isn't someone there to hold their hand, tell them they are safe and everything will be ok they have tantrums.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• intheresistanceintheresistance Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I suppose, that many people just play the game and don't usually post on this forum, because they simply aren't unhappy with the game. I am one of them. I enjoy reading constructive criticism, I absolutely use this forum to get quick information about certain abilities or how to craft or to read about Foundry missions I'd like to play. And sometimes I sigh because of the hate and cynicism and palpable disappointment. Of course, this game isn't perfect (!) but if someone's a Trekkie he can at least enjoy the story missions and that is quite something for a game that allows you to experience these missions without paying. But that's just a sidenote.

In fact, I am very looking forward to Delta Recruitment, because I am one of those gamers who play one or perhaps two characters. But this event is a neat idea to try those story missions with a certain twist and (hopefully) credibility to them. I've never played an engineer, why not now? And if my main science officer benefits from account wide goodies, I am all for it.

TLDR: Lots of complaining on the forum doesn't mean unhappy STO gamers all over the board. I am looking forward to Delta Recruiting. It's an interesting Trek game, that sometimes needs improvement, but that's alright with me.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Me too. Lana's only level 51, the Jeanne is a T5U Fleet Avenger. I'm merrily dorking my way through the main story, Foundry missions, mark-acquiring trips, setting up my doffs, running patrols, and the occasional Red Alert. Mostly I'm concerned about my EC intake/outtake of all things. Whatever floats my boat today. I don't feel like I have to grind. 60 will come eventually, 'til then there's a final frontier to explore!

Not to say that my style of having fun will work for everyone, or should work for everyone. Fun is subjective. I'm casual, others beeline for the minmax, its all good. We just have to be thoughtful of everyone else sharing our sandbox.

Yeah I had decided I was going to play for fun so I rolled a character and head cannoned that he was stuck in the current time from the WOK era. Outfitted all my crew in the WOK uniforms and went from 1 - 50 in the refit Connie. 50 - 60 was a bit harder so I did switch him to the phantom and guardian...for the traits before settling on his permanent endgame ship a T5u Oddy. I have successfully done an Argala run in the Connie refit which was cool because we were all shooting retro phasers at each other.

My Delta will probably be similar but only using the NX ship.

My key to having fun is not worrying about having the best gear or all the shinies or the best ship.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I want to like Delta Recruitment. Its a great idea in theory. Having a reason to replay the story missions is good (and I wish there were reasons to replay them at all times). The problem is the official announcements are missing a critical piece of information.

If only someone in charge would confirm that the characters created during the event are not going to have a permanent advantage over ones created before or after, I'd love Delta Recruitment.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have not read this entire thread.....but I just wanted to pipe in and mention that ever since the Delta Recruit Dev Blog broke the news, that is about all me and my fleetmate have been talking about!!!

Everything from what race, which profession, how many of them, which type of ship, etc. No question about faction: KDF.

(....both disappointed we won't be able to make a KDF aligned Ferengi. YET.) (Yeah, sadly, we are still holding out hope on that one.)

He has been busy crafting low level gear....he's even crafting stuff for my Delta Recruit!! I don't care about crafting!! I been hoarding Contraband to pass around the fleet.

Mr. Tacofangs, rest assured, we are all pretty excited about our Delta Recruits at the House of Xelene!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

It all depends on how you ask the questions

poor questions lead to poor responses

Example Colonization Cryptic wants to know how do we do this to make the game better

1. put the old exploration missions back in with a few tweeks

2. make new 5 minute missions like the old ones and scatter them about in our current map

3. make new territory outside the current map with planets to land on and explore, with resources to be gathered ............colonys to be made and supported increasing your factions territory

Npc pirates and empires to deal with thru was and diplomacy, using current duty officers as colonists, building player built duty officer and natives if found as colonists.

NPC ships ship construction stations and factorys to be made to defend and patrol your new territory

now if cryptic asked these question most players would most likely pick number 3

Its all in how you ask the question
    As an example, other than exploration, none of the rest of the stuff you mention there is anything that I consider interesting or important to the game.

Exploration, to get it right, is going to take time to develop a new system for doing it. During that time, they should work on and release other content.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

If only someone in charge would confirm that the characters created during the event are not going to have a permanent advantage over ones created before or after, I'd love Delta Recruitment.

were here to make taco feel better and put a smile on his face so stop being such a gloomy gus and help make taco smile damnit.....cause if you dont i swear i will put the star wars holiday special link in this thread so you can click on it by accident and be...horrfied beyond all that uis unholy :eek:
  • gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I have been paving the roads you drive to work/school on for over 23 years now, if you dislike my grammar, oh well lol

im educated enough to get my point across most of the time, if my post offended you then it was probally directed at you
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't get why he's crying. He's a Trek fan, right? Has he taken a look at the game lately? They've ruined the Romulan people. Everything Cryptic has done, right or wrong by us, I would think has been a good business decision - the fact that we're still here should be proof enough of that.

However, there should be a better balance between business, and us, the playerbase. Delta Recruits are a business decision, and whether anyone wishes to believe it or not, the very existence of Delta Recruits takes away from existing characters. Do existing characters benefit from what a Delta Recruit might provide? Sure, some (not all) of the Delta Recruit unlocks will be made available to existing players, but that's after we've worked on them.

With Delta Recruits, Cryptic isn't advancing the game at all, they're side tracking it. That's my main gripe here. All the time, effort and resources that have gone into Delta Recruits could have better been put to use fulfilling other requests and fixing some of the many bugs that exist within the game.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    This was a thread to say positive things about Delta Recruitment, when I checked yesterday it was going well, it seems it only takes a day for a positive thread to go bad...:(

"Positive thread shelf life: 1 day"

Sorry, Tacofangs, it seems the STO forums are full of people who spoil good things.
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't get why he's crying. He's a Trek fan, right? Has he taken a look at the game lately? They've ruined the Romulan people. Everything Cryptic has done, right or wrong by us, I would think has been a good business decision - the fact that we're still here should be proof enough of that.

However, there should be a better balance between business, and us, the playerbase. Delta Recruits are a business decision, and whether anyone wishes to believe it or not, the very existence of Delta Recruits takes away from existing characters. Do existing characters benefit from what a Delta Recruit might provide? Sure, some (not all) of the Delta Recruit unlocks will be made available to existing players, but that's after we've worked on them.

With Delta Recruits, Cryptic isn't advancing the game at all, they're side tracking it. That's my main gripe here. All the time, effort and resources that have gone into Delta Recruits could have better been put to use fulfilling other requests and fixing some of the many bugs that exist within the game.

you do know that the people who make content are not the same people who fix bugs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/580372784158638080

We've got a situation where one of the game's most community-active devs is feeling down about the negativity. And he's obviously feeling disheartened enough to post about it.

Taco, there is a significant chunk of the playerbase that likes Delta Recruitment.

Of course, some players will throw negative labels on anything they don't like, and they'll complain that it's not what they wanted (case in point: I've honestly seen a lot of 'this isn't a T6 Connie so Delta Recruitment sucks' thrown around :P). But there are a lot of positive comments hidden in the threads as well. And of course there's a portion of the playerbase that isn't on the forums, or doesn't reach out via Twitter, Reddit, etc., so there are voices that aren't being heard.

Negative speak is often the loudest, and the easiest to hear. Positives are often played closer to the chest. So here are some positives that I've felt Delta Recruitment brings to the table:

- account-wide benefits, so playing this new toon will help my other toons at the same time
    - new story / mission objectives, refreshing older content as part of the 'let's keep everything up-to-date' approach
    - giving a bonus reason for playing the old missions that I enjoyed anyways
    - another aspect to the factions' inner workings is being showcased, temporal agencies, lending to more options for future storyline content (pun intended ;))
    - making NPC 'stores' for easy transfer of these new benefits between other toons
    - unlockable XP benefits for any player in the server during the event

And on a personal note...

- finally pushing me to make a real Fed alt, so I can get my hands on that sweet, sweet Vesta goodness :cool:

The floor's open, fellow players. While I understand there are concerns and complains, please keep those to other threads. This one is for Taco!

I;ve been waiting specifically for this to start 3 new characters after several months of break-time. It will be like starting a new game. I;ve never seen Taco that depressed.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    you do know that the people who make content are not the same people who fix bugs

Of course they do. The environment team creates new environments, but they also fix any environment related bugs. The ship team creates new ships, but they also fix any ship related bugs. It's the same for every department there. They both create and fix. What they don't do is cross department fixes. Taco isn't going to be fixing any ship or systems bugs, but he'll be fixing environment bugs.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Of course they do. The environment team creates new environments, but they also fix any environment related bugs. The ship team creates new ships, but they also fix any ship related bugs. It's the same for every department there. They both create and fix. What they don't do is cross department fixes. Taco isn't going to be fixing any ship or systems bugs, but he'll be fixing environment bugs.

Nop Taco says it almost overtime something is added to the game and people complain about bugs...the content team is not the same as the bug squashing team.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    That's because there is no bug squashing team :P

:D:D:D
    perhaps
    Your pain runs deep.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Nop Taco says it almost overtime something is added to the game and people complain about bugs...the content team is not the same as the bug squashing team.

No, Taco makes comments like that when a new ship or something is added and people complain about system bugs. The systems people are the ones who fix systems bugs, not the ship team. Or when Taco was revamping ESD and people were saying it was a waste of time when bugs or lag should be getting fixed when the environment team obviously doesn't deal with those. There is no "bug squashing team". The entire dev team is the bug squashing team.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
This discussion has been closed.