test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruiting Positives (let's make Tacofangs smile)

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

If only someone in charge would confirm that the characters created during the event are not going to have a permanent advantage over ones created before or after, I'd love Delta Recruitment.

were here to make taco feel better and put a smile on his face so stop being such a gloomy gus and help make taco smile damnit.....cause if you dont i swear i will put the star wars holiday special link in this thread so you can click on it by accident and be...horrfied beyond all that uis unholy :eek:
  • Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I have been paving the roads you drive to work/school on for over 23 years now, if you dislike my grammar, oh well lol

im educated enough to get my point across most of the time, if my post offended you then it was probally directed at you
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't get why he's crying. He's a Trek fan, right? Has he taken a look at the game lately? They've ruined the Romulan people. Everything Cryptic has done, right or wrong by us, I would think has been a good business decision - the fact that we're still here should be proof enough of that.

However, there should be a better balance between business, and us, the playerbase. Delta Recruits are a business decision, and whether anyone wishes to believe it or not, the very existence of Delta Recruits takes away from existing characters. Do existing characters benefit from what a Delta Recruit might provide? Sure, some (not all) of the Delta Recruit unlocks will be made available to existing players, but that's after we've worked on them.

With Delta Recruits, Cryptic isn't advancing the game at all, they're side tracking it. That's my main gripe here. All the time, effort and resources that have gone into Delta Recruits could have better been put to use fulfilling other requests and fixing some of the many bugs that exist within the game.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    This was a thread to say positive things about Delta Recruitment, when I checked yesterday it was going well, it seems it only takes a day for a positive thread to go bad...:(

"Positive thread shelf life: 1 day"

Sorry, Tacofangs, it seems the STO forums are full of people who spoil good things.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't get why he's crying. He's a Trek fan, right? Has he taken a look at the game lately? They've ruined the Romulan people. Everything Cryptic has done, right or wrong by us, I would think has been a good business decision - the fact that we're still here should be proof enough of that.

However, there should be a better balance between business, and us, the playerbase. Delta Recruits are a business decision, and whether anyone wishes to believe it or not, the very existence of Delta Recruits takes away from existing characters. Do existing characters benefit from what a Delta Recruit might provide? Sure, some (not all) of the Delta Recruit unlocks will be made available to existing players, but that's after we've worked on them.

With Delta Recruits, Cryptic isn't advancing the game at all, they're side tracking it. That's my main gripe here. All the time, effort and resources that have gone into Delta Recruits could have better been put to use fulfilling other requests and fixing some of the many bugs that exist within the game.

you do know that the people who make content are not the same people who fix bugs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/580372784158638080

We've got a situation where one of the game's most community-active devs is feeling down about the negativity. And he's obviously feeling disheartened enough to post about it.

Taco, there is a significant chunk of the playerbase that likes Delta Recruitment.

Of course, some players will throw negative labels on anything they don't like, and they'll complain that it's not what they wanted (case in point: I've honestly seen a lot of 'this isn't a T6 Connie so Delta Recruitment sucks' thrown around :P). But there are a lot of positive comments hidden in the threads as well. And of course there's a portion of the playerbase that isn't on the forums, or doesn't reach out via Twitter, Reddit, etc., so there are voices that aren't being heard.

Negative speak is often the loudest, and the easiest to hear. Positives are often played closer to the chest. So here are some positives that I've felt Delta Recruitment brings to the table:

- account-wide benefits, so playing this new toon will help my other toons at the same time
    - new story / mission objectives, refreshing older content as part of the 'let's keep everything up-to-date' approach
    - giving a bonus reason for playing the old missions that I enjoyed anyways
    - another aspect to the factions' inner workings is being showcased, temporal agencies, lending to more options for future storyline content (pun intended ;))
    - making NPC 'stores' for easy transfer of these new benefits between other toons
    - unlockable XP benefits for any player in the server during the event

And on a personal note...

- finally pushing me to make a real Fed alt, so I can get my hands on that sweet, sweet Vesta goodness :cool:

The floor's open, fellow players. While I understand there are concerns and complains, please keep those to other threads. This one is for Taco!

I;ve been waiting specifically for this to start 3 new characters after several months of break-time. It will be like starting a new game. I;ve never seen Taco that depressed.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    you do know that the people who make content are not the same people who fix bugs

Of course they do. The environment team creates new environments, but they also fix any environment related bugs. The ship team creates new ships, but they also fix any ship related bugs. It's the same for every department there. They both create and fix. What they don't do is cross department fixes. Taco isn't going to be fixing any ship or systems bugs, but he'll be fixing environment bugs.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Of course they do. The environment team creates new environments, but they also fix any environment related bugs. The ship team creates new ships, but they also fix any ship related bugs. It's the same for every department there. They both create and fix. What they don't do is cross department fixes. Taco isn't going to be fixing any ship or systems bugs, but he'll be fixing environment bugs.

Nop Taco says it almost overtime something is added to the game and people complain about bugs...the content team is not the same as the bug squashing team.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    That's because there is no bug squashing team :P

:D:D:D
    perhaps
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nop Taco says it almost overtime something is added to the game and people complain about bugs...the content team is not the same as the bug squashing team.

No, Taco makes comments like that when a new ship or something is added and people complain about system bugs. The systems people are the ones who fix systems bugs, not the ship team. Or when Taco was revamping ESD and people were saying it was a waste of time when bugs or lag should be getting fixed when the environment team obviously doesn't deal with those. There is no "bug squashing team". The entire dev team is the bug squashing team.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why would they?

To show they are decent and do care about the players:
    download.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Well, missions take a good deal of time to put together, especially with all the VO scheduling they have to do now. So the release pace of missions is understandable. I'm very happy that we're getting a new mission every month or two - this is kinda awesome.

I would dare to say that the sector space revamp could be considered part of the exploration reintroduction, if not in principle just 'cause it makes sector space a more immersive map and a more fun place to travel. That said, I'm sure building in something for exploration is on the table, but I'm also fairly certain that doing it right is going to take a lot longer than just a month or two. It'll come back, but it'll be season 11 or 12.

Also, they did the Foundry top 3 system, which is along the same track as 'finding random missions while traveling.' I believe somewhere when they were announcing the system, it was said that this was being pushed out specifically as part of reintroducing exploration-style randomness. It also doubled as a hat-tip to Foundry authors for all the great work they do, which is nice to see.

Honestly, I would say the Sector Space revamp is fulfilling a stated desire voiced by former STO EP Daniel Stahl a couple years ago; and the poll had NOTHING to do with it's approval. As for the Foundry 'Top 3' again, introduced prior to the poll we're discussing (still a good decision, that I too have given them props for.)

The point to my post though was Story missions ranked higher then anything with PvE Queues in that poll yet Cryptic seems to have stuck to their same paradigm that's been the pattern from Season 8 forward: One Story mission plus 2-3 PvE queue additions.
    ^^^
    Sorry to say, but that doesn't inspire me to believe the recent Poll was much beyond a PR stunt. Yes, PvE Queue missions are faster to make, but since DR, it's plainly obvious that aside from PvE Queue content related to the 'Events' and the old tried and true original STFs - the majority of PvE Queue content remains largely unused by the playerbase; yet because it's so quick to do, Cryptic (for reasons unclear given stated claims of 'Return on Investment' drives Dev decisions; given the poor response to new PvE Queue content - I'm at a loss to understand why Lead Devs continue to produce more of that content compared to the other types players in Cryptic's OWN recent poll (which we've been discussing) voted for OVER queue content.

IDK - Sounds like some of the Lead Devs are ignoring the player feedback they in effect solicited; which in conjunction with the playerbase's quantifiable lack of use of new PvE Queue content to me shows that STO Lead Devs have been making POOR development/design decisions. That coupled with the fact (again seen in publically released PWE financial reports) that profits are down roughly 50% for PWI's Western subsidiary PWE; and as a result PWE's U.S. holdings were downsized 18 positions...I don't think you can conclude that Cryptic Lead Dev decisions have been all that great in retaining paying players, or growing the paying plaerbase.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I didn't take anything personally, I was just expressing my exasperation at the doom surrounding the Recruitment Event.

I'll be honest its just another grind something a lot of people don't want. The concept of this being a game has escaped me due to the fact its become nothing more than a job itself and content is no longer designed around being fun and that is why there is doom and gloom.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You do know that you're incorrect, right?

If a ship artist creates a ship, and there's a problem with the model; that's a bug. It is then the ship artist that would need to fix that. The same rule applies to each department within game.
    But the items that present the Bugs are content for some part, so be it directly or indirectly, they're all connected.

With Cryptic, as always, it's add, add, add and maybe fix; and they only add things that they deem are needed (which isn't always what we want). You want an example of poor fixing? Take a look at the (lack of) Benzite Bridge Officers. That's been a thing since the game launched, all those years ago. Does the model exist with full customization as a character species? Yeah. Does it exist in Bridge Officer candidate form yet? No. Why? Good question...
  • Options
    jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's been no real specifics released about it, so how do you know it is another grind?

It's STO. Up until now, it goes with the territory.
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'll be honest its just another grind something a lot of people don't want. The concept of this being a game has escaped me due to the fact its become nothing more than a job itself and content is no longer designed around being fun and that is why there is doom and gloom.

Hit the nail on the head.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jasonl21 wrote: »
    It's STO. Up until now, it goes with the territory.
    Hah, truth be told here. :P
    There's been no real specifics released about it, so how do you know it is another grind?
    The leveling will be a grind, specifically #50 - #60, then you've got to do all the R&D crafting, plus the level up through the rep system (unlocked at #50); you'll need marks to do that, then if you want to kit out a ship with fleet gear, you'll need fleet marks.

Sounds an awful lot like grinding to me.

Edit: It amuses me, slightly, that this isn't the first time a Dev has openly stated his displeasure in how a certain update/idea has been received by us, the playerbase. One would think they'd have taken the hint by now that their genius ideas just ain't what's desired.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I for one like the idea of the delta recruits who join providing rewards for their respective faction, even for those players who are not participating.

I've suggested this concept before (referred to is a faction fleet) or some kind of game mechanic that functions somewhat like a fleet but rewards the entire faction player base. I think its a whole new game mechanic worth exploring and I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

In the future you could do something like the fate of planet X event. Some STF's, some things to scan, maybe even a Q and have each faction work towards the fate of the planet by who provides to most resources to this factional fleet project. If the Federation wins at the end of the event the planet would be a new member and so appropriately forth for the KDF and Romulans.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Because the forums run on bitter cynicism and jimmy rustling, and if they were to go away the whole place would collapse in on itself like a broken Romulan singularity core?
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015

If the game stops feeling like a game to you... maybe it's time for a break? Take a few months off? Find a different F2P MMO-RPG? The game will still be here in another 6 months.
    flash525 wrote: »
    Edit: It amuses me, slightly, that this isn't the first time a Dev has openly stated his displeasure in how a certain update/idea has been received by us, the playerbase. One would think they'd have taken the hint by now that their genius ideas just ain't what's desired.

It amuses me slightly that you think you represent the playerbase.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    If the game stops feeling like a game to you... maybe it's time for a break? Take a few months off? Find a different F2P MMO-RPG? The game will still be here in another 6 months.

There's a neat discussion to be had about the psychology of vertical progression in MMOs, but I'll have to save that for when my head isn't full of sinus stuffing.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Fair enough, but that goes for any character, not just a Delta Recruit.
    Yeah, but this update/feature is trying to get people to create, use and play with a new character, but (in the long term) it'll be no different to what already exists.
    All of those are optional. You don't need to use the R&D system or Rep System or Fleet Gear.
    Optional, yeah, but even if you didn't want rep or R&D gear, you're going to have to buy some gear from the exchange. How'd you do that? Acquire Energy Credits - and you're going to need a significant amount of them to buy half of what's on the Exchange.

What's the point in playing if you don't at least aspire to get a ship with Mk XII Purple gear, thus being competitive in even the Elite STF's?

It's all been done before, and as said already, that's my gripe. Cryptic isn't moving forward, they're moving sideways.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015

leveling up a new character for most people after leveling over 1 is considered a grind

And the more characters leveled the more of a grind it becomes

maybe a tiny minority of players think leveling new characters up then deleting them and doing it again is fun !

but not most players...yes im speaking most players because I am in touch with most players leveling up new toons is a grind its not exciting playing the same content over and over that's why the term Grind exists

some grinds are more tolerable that others.....The new character grind is at the bottom of the list all 50 levels of it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
This discussion has been closed.