test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PLEASE help the terrible players in this game

Comments

• bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The tactical console 'Diminishing Return' issue is merely another case of poor labeling/description in game.

Why do they say %? Because they add a percent of damage determined by type.

If instead they simply said "add 100 damage magnitude" and when you looked at 'see more info' it broke it down to the '+100 for arrays, +180 for dual cannons, etc etc' this would not even be an issue.
  • takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is a funny thread. STO is not a 1 player game. Unplug and play alone if you dont like others. How this thread is still open yet, a discussion involving the possible end of STO was closed, makes little sense.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    takfel wrote: »
    This is a funny thread. STO is not a 1 player game. Unplug and play alone if you dont like others. How this thread is still open yet, a discussion involving the possible end of STO was closed, makes little sense.

Because the conversation has been mostly civil and constructive, albeit it got off to a very heated start, but was never a doom thread...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    takfel wrote: »

Cause it's going to take a Hell of lot more than 35 pages to help somebody like me.

edit: Meh, it's actually kind of annoying...I can put together a build I think is put together and then I can go throw together a build that's doing so much wrong...and there's only like 3-5k difference. I really am that bad of a pilot. :(
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Reciprocity, imho, could definitely be a trap for some folks. I believe the DPS League folks avoid it for that reason, no?

Vel'gon obviously builds around it, because he tanks. Most aren't trying to tank, and wouldn't be able to build around it.
  • codeflyercodeflyer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As someone who has just returned from a long break from STO i find most of replies very good.

Having started from my old ships it seems DPS is a main issue ,i even went and bought the battle cruiser on FED side. But at lvl58 now its damn frustrating with not being able to kill anything i leave the map in anger.

My Last time playing the Borg scenarios just came online and they where so fun and a challenge with trying to get the new MACO gear. Then the DS9 Jemhadar invasion but after that i left for issues of lack of interest.

Again on my Romulan character i got a lvl40 ship to play with at lvl50+ its like shooting yourself in the foot everytime i want to play. The lvl40 ships have no power or DPS get past lvl50 ,no idea why they dropped the free lvl50 ship.

My main problems is generating EC's ,Dilithium is easy to get but the 8k cap in refining is in bad taste. R&D is too cumbersome and expensive to even get past lvl5.

This game is not what it used to be FUN, its been paywalled too much to enjoy it. The Grinding is worse than anything i have seen. With no one chat responding to my calls to help makes me wonder where this game is heading.
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not sure if this would help, but it might so throwing it out there.

A Keybind tutorial, a drag and drop keybind system, and/or Auto-fire for Space BOff Abilities, like for ship weapons.

All the information that is needed is out there, but I still see a lot of PUGs with only one or two buffs going at any point. So either it is too hard for them to find or too hard for them to understand. A keybind tutorial and/or drag and drop keybind system would hopefully make it more accessible. Or an Auto-Fire system for Boff abilities would at least make things simpler for those that don't/can't pay attention.

Hey, can even go crazy and do all three, drag and drop system with tutorial to keybind your alphas while an auto-fire system for your EptWhatever rotation.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Looky here ... if any peeps here have a joining date of 2014 or 2015... please remember that these fellows on this post have been playing this game for a while... my advice.... for f2p players.. start romulan faction.......play 1-60 level... spend money on the scimitar...... kit it out to a Aux to batt load out ... rom plas or antiproton beam build... also make sure you have money for zemok and 3 purple technicians. you would easily do 18k dps.

My estimation 2 months of play... 120 dollars and patience with buggy content. If and only IF there are peeps who have started playing this game from 2014 onwards and can have a viable build please comment here
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Join the DPS-Channel Community if you need advice to increase your dps. You could start with DPS-Public.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In game DPS combatlog reader w/ tutorial about weapon types, modifiers, etc.

Cryptic, you've turned the game into a DPS powercreep. Please give your players an in-game tool to help themselves.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »

A Keybind tutorial, a drag and drop keybind system, and/or Auto-fire for Space BOff Abilities, like for ship weapons.

All the information that is needed is out there, but I still see a lot of PUGs with only one or two buffs going at any point. So either it is too hard for them to find or too hard for them to understand. A keybind tutorial and/or drag and drop keybind system would hopefully make it more accessible. Or an Auto-Fire system for Boff abilities would at least make things simpler for those that don't/can't pay attention.

Hey, can even go crazy and do all three, drag and drop system with tutorial to keybind your alphas while an auto-fire system for your EptWhatever rotation.

Keybinding is a very controversial issue. It is all too easy for someone to try to put too much in a single keybind, and leave themselves more gimped than before using the keybinds. In those cases, because the player does not take the time to adjust the bindings to find what works best, they will swear against keybinds and use their example of how it adversely affected their play as the reason to speak against it.
    There is also several variations on keybinding which further complicate matters.
    Assigning a few things to a single key or mouse button is possibly better, but a lot of players don't have mice with more than 3 buttons, resigning that method to using other keyboard keys like function keys or ones that were already assigned for other things in the default setup. Having to move one hand to reach some key here or there takes away from the HOTAS kind of play that flight simulator players gravitated toward. 5 button mice are becoming more common, but add cost.
    They player who wants to use keybinds should read and understand the technical working of the keybind system before they can expect themselves to make best use of it.
    The last time I provided keybind info on the forums, the player flamed out and was having troubles with resetting their controls. My fleetmates used the same info, and several of them have been very happy with the results. So, it isn't a simple apply keybind and do more DPS/ have more fun thing for everyone.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »

Great idea with a tutorial, altho there is allready one at the begining of the game. A more in-depth one wouldnt hurt. You mentioned folks with just 1-2 buffs on. I suspect its also becouse ppl dont really know what some buffs do. And with this I sugest the re-introduction of the lil helping msgs from the loading screen. They were mostly lore but a few helpful ones too.
    And to cover not only boff skills, but also captain (well... Admiral now) skills. It allmost makes me shout at ppl in ground (mostly) when I am on a sci toon and there are 3 tacs in team and none of them is using security team, tac initiative or even target optics:confused:
    Something like these msgs: "Use your captain/admiral skills (insert their names in here - since some ppl may not know wich are those) as often as you can. It will grealty help you and your team". Or "Science Team not only heals your shields, but also cleares debuffs too. Never leave home without it. And you can use it on aother team mate too". Or "Hazard Emitters not only heal your hull, but will also clear any DoT(Damage over Time) efects like plasma fire. Make sure your ship has one. And even better, you can use on a buddy/team mate too".
    I am sure these will help more then some players pics or some mission that acts as a wall for players progrresion.
    edited February 2015
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    I have a Mat'ha raptor with CRF doing X DPS in Y time while running Argala.
    I have a Scimitar beam boat with BFAW doing X+(X/2) DPS but it takes Y+(Y/3) time doing Argala.

This didn't make sense to me.

When you say "X DPS" and "X+(X/2) DPS", you're talking about DPS measured in ISA, right?
    edited February 2015
    codeflyer wrote: »
    Having started from my old ships it seems DPS is a main issue ,i even went and bought the battle cruiser on FED side. But at lvl58 now its damn frustrating with not being able to kill anything i leave the map in anger.

<snip>

Again on my Romulan character i got a lvl40 ship to play with at lvl50+ its like shooting yourself in the foot everytime i want to play. The lvl40 ships have no power or DPS get past lvl50 ,no idea why they dropped the free lvl50 ship.

I recommend posting your builds in the Shipyards section, where you can get advice on how to setup your ships.

Also, the free level 50 ship is still there, you need to be Gold (subscriber).
    codeflyer wrote: »
    R&D is too cumbersome and expensive to even get past lvl5.

Uh, R&D costs barely anything to max out, so long as you're not impatient and ignoring the 20hr projects that give 6000-7000 R&D xp. Especially considering you can slot three of those per school again.
    valoreah wrote: »
    If you've equipped nothing but Phaser Beam Arrays to your ship, why would you want to slot TAC consoles that buff Cannon damage? Or buff Disruptor damage and not phaser damage?

Was just an idea toward helping improve DPS for newer people who don't understand how the gear and consoles work.

Alternatively, have the consoles show what they're affecting, or the weapons show what they're affected by.

If the consoles show "Affecting: None" or the weapons show "Affected by: Phaser Relay" with no mention of the random Disruptor console, it should at least help those players who aren't complete idiots.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How about you STOP supporting this game until they fix the terrible Korean/Chinese pay-to-progress model they've created in which you have to buy your upgrades instead of earning them in game!

Then maybe you can have an opinion on the few players who've remained behind to continue supporting this trainwreck!

The quality of the playerbase you're dealing with is directly proportional to the number of players, you have XP nerfs, nerfs to dilithium, nerfs to drops for EC, nerfs to reputation gains and you have way way fewer players so you end up with more bad players than good doing group content. It's not rocket science.