Install Arc
Options

A Change In Command

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mewi wrote: »
    Some of you wonder why the STO pvpers are so bitter towards Cryptic. The reason is, Cryptic has lied to us for years. We aren't complaining over nothing, the lies have stacked... Over a dozen promises to fix PvP have all but been broken. Pure blatant lying, if it wasn't lying, where is the effort put into correcting pvp? Nowhere, infact their game breaking cash cow content has made PvP even worse... far worse. They've broken the game for casuals and PvErs that want big boom booms.

And the PvP community has rewarded them for years by buying the newest uber-power-creep TRIBBLE from the C-Store or Master keys to get access to lockbox ships (be it for gambling or for the EC). And if you didn't do that, you were busy grinding Dilithium and Marks for your gear.

As long as you support the game by actively playing it, joining the grind or making ZEN sales directly ,you're implicitely supporting the PvP "politics", too. And if you think PvP is the most important thing for you in the game, then you have to seriously consider your methods.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Welcome to the Funny Farm. Although I'd like to be more positive about this, I remain sceptical. Each of your predecessors arrived in pomp and fanfare and spoke to us about the same things you speak of.

I will only politely ask you please consider the following things as you assume the job of EP:

1) Please remind your team every day the players of this game want it to be as successful as they do. There is no business problem so bad a quality product cannot fix it. The current CEO of Nissan said such upon taking over as CEO. He was right.

2) Please make an effort to put some game back into this game. At present Fun is getting harder to get as one reaches higher levels. This game by and large stopped being fun just after the arrival of DR. If the game is fun people want to play it. If they want to play it they'll do so longer. If they do so longer, they are far more likely to spend money here. Wouldn't you rather me give you my discretionary income willingly than try to rob me at every opportunity?

3) Please make an effort to put some of the Star Trek back in this game. At present, it is perilously close to becoming yet another generic space shooter MMO. Just like all the others available out there. Star Trek based games should be so much more than just a 'go there then kill everything that moves' sort of experience.

4) Please remind your team we players are customers. ALL of us. While I may have an objection to Geko thinking I am a spoiled 14 year old, I definitely object strongly to him saying so publicly. And since I've opened this topic, it is long past time he got the sort of supervision he needs. From my view D'Angelo let him do whatever he wanted. And take a look at the results, will you?

5) Please give me a reason to think your professed passion for Star Trek is so much more than advertising hype. And continue doing so throughout your tenure as EP.

I learned from my time as a non commissioned officer in the US Army any organization will be a direct reflection of its leadership. If the leadership is jacked up, it should not surprise anyone the organization, along with whatever it is doing, will be jacked up as well.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Welcome to the centre chair Stephen :D

I don't envy you for what you've inherited but I'm intrigued as to which direction you will take us. I'm going to join the optimistic queue here and hope this command changes bodes well for the future.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm very interested to see this. I truly hope things change. Let me say please stop the grind.
    The reputation system is bad compared to the random stf drops we had,
    Now you grind r&d...
    Atm we are grinding 3,000 ➕ particles to upgrade!
    Most of my fleet and friends have quit because of too much grind.

Please look after the players, not the legacy
    Falcon07
    Leader Band of Brothers

I have to disagree about the Reputation System.

It's brought equality to the Casual Player, the highest percentage of players, who don't have time to grind STFs for loot drops.

I dislike the Fleet System however. There needs to be less cost for smaller Fleets.

Also: "Disconnected From Server," This has to stop. Discontinue use of Cogentco immediately and please select a less bargain basement company.
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hi Stephen,
    I have played this game since launch and I really loved (note past tense) it, but to be honest the last couple of seasons has seen a decline in my interest; it doesn't feel like Star Trek anymore, look at the number of hours I play STO today.

I kept on telling myself it was going to get better but it never did, content was added, sure but really not much in the way of story, or exploration.

We need combat to make the game interesting in the space and on the ground... but the ground combat is very unengaging ... if you watch a Star Trek episode how much of is it about the ship ... very small percentages ... and yet ...we don't even do 50-50 here at end game... or at least I don't. Even with the recent changes to crafting which forces some ground engagement to be able to craft, by the way I like the crafting changes, it works for crafting IMO.

I hope that your passion for Star Trek will enable you to focus the changes on a game that will be true to its spirit... I really want you to succeed where others have failed, I know that you need to make money to be able to do that, and I have no problem in a company making a profit from me.

At the moment I don't see the re-investment in the game, I don't see the story investment or the content investment (lock box ships are sort of content fair enough) that even other cryptic games have... I don't feel I am living in a series of star trek episodes when I play ... change that.

Welcome and Good Luck

Stuart
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    enyinayaenyinaya Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It is amazing what people spit out from thier brains through thier keyboards and then into cyberspace. Dear Lord! Why can't you people just congratulate someone who got a promotion in his job and hope that he or she is able to deliver a job well done in times to come.

It is only a game, if you do not like what has been made just complain constructively, no need to riddle the person with insults. And there are tonnes of other games out there to your enjoyment.

Anyway, Congratulations for the promotion and I hope you make STO better than it is today.
    This are empty!
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Darmok, When the walls fell. Quadrant split for the sector map sounds like a very positive change, and a great way to show off just how big the game actually is. Transwarping everywhere has taken a lot of this away.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Darmok, When the walls fell. Quadrant split for the sector map sounds like a very positive change, and a great way to show off just how big the game actually is. Transwarping everywhere has taken a lot of this away.

Actually that raises an interesting question. Currently transwarp can accelerate you across about half a sector or thereabouts. With the maps suddenly increasing in size I wonder if that will lead to a change in transwarp mechanics, at the very least in cool down times?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wonder if the fall of the sector walls will also bring back exploration in a more "traditional" MMO style. In the sense that you have a large map to traverse and you might "discover" interesting bits.

Even if it's just hunting DOFF missions, Red Alerts and the good old patrols, it will be a very different feel if you don't have all the sector block loading screens to deal with.
    liontriad wrote: »
    The more PVE updates the better. If anything I hope they add more diplomatic options and more exploration options.

A for the pvp discussion, PVP can die in a fire from ALL MMOs imho. Let pvpers go back to call of duty and stay there :). PVP causes too much toxicity to be of any worth in any cooperative game.

Call of Duty is nt even close to STO's PvP. The game has a completely different gameplay. That's why people PvP in STO and want it to improve - because the gameplay is so different from most games and only STO can scratch this particular itch.

Maybe a game like Dreadnought has a chance to achieve something resembling STO's PvP, and if it succeeds (both as a game and as pulling off the gamestyle), then I could see people using it instead of STO - but let's face it - most games that are seen as "killer of feature X/gameX" never are.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I know right. There is a reason why I am the EMPRESS OF PVP!

An empress?No....but you are definitely a queen.:D
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    it would be very cool if doff missions became more like exploration, where missions are tied to planets, and in order to get the mission you have to go there. That being said, add some more core planets like trill and enlarge the sol solar system please.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Welcome at the head of things and lets hope we can see a change in better for STO.

Altho that sneak info about Season 10 merged sectors got me worried, not hyped. Becouse of the past updates doffing got nerfed hard so this could be happening here too. And its about the lag aswell. A massive map with hundreds of players looks scary right now, when social space maps/planet orbits, full of players scanning omega particles, are lagging like hell.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is a wham, bam, in our faces reason for folks to put certain things on the back burner. The game itself...just doesn't warrant it at this point. There have simply been too many changes and things broken in the past couple of years.

PvP is not a standalone element in this game. It's tied into everything else.

So...they drop out new maps? Okay, new maps with all the same broken mechanics and a majority playerbase that can't even handle missions on Normal without having to complain that the game is somehow cheating.

So...they add in a leaderboard? Great...and that fixes all the broken TRIBBLE or gets folks to want to play the game how when everything else is the same?

Almost anything added wouldn't mean TRIBBLE cause the underlying foundation is garbage for it. Broken TRIBBLE out the wahzoo, imbalance out the wahzoo, and that playerbase that's more interested in how they look for their next date on Drozana than they do about bothering to change their Subsystem Power settings.

Until things start getting fixed, until balance is addressed, until this is even a hint of a game rather than just a 3D chatroom...what good could possibly come from PvP development?

If they'd done the PvP development back before S5...it still would have been screwed up by S5 through now.

So wanting to have some PvP development in the game...yeah, it might mean having to wait for stuff to get resolved. The "I want it now" TRIBBLE is no better than all the whining about folks wanting stuff in the game now. If folks want meaningful PvP in the game, it's not going to be some magic wand that's waved and it's all better...a Hell of a lot of stuff would have to change because of the direction of the game for the past 2-3 years.

There are limited resources...any development done is going to be done instead of some other development. They are not some massive studio with folks standing around the water cooler all day bored out of their minds...they're busting their humps to meet insane production schedules that leaves TRIBBLE even more broken as time goes along. So yeah, it's a fight out there amongst the playerbase, regardless of any discussions of majority or minority...over how devopment time is allocated.

Knowing that certain things would need to be in place for any meaningful PvP development to take place, regardless of one's preference for PvP or not - the same stuff has to get done; why would it not make sense to ally with those folks that want that as well? Sure, the PvP folks want more after that - but until that happens, they're just spinning their wheels? So why not work together with those folks rather than further splitting the community?

I find it hilarious, to be honest, that your reason for the KDF dying off is the lack of PvP content. Cryptic rearranged things, added things, provided all sorts of additional content for KDF players. What's missing? Ships. Traits. Etc, etc, etc.

Which gets back to what I was saying earlier...there's a fundamental issue there with the KDF. PvP isn't going to fix that. Want more folks to play KDF? Then don't make it so freaking obvious that they're not even second class citizens in this game.

It's just mindboggling to me...do you even play this game? It's like you're saying we should paint the car cause it will look better and be more attractive to folks...meanwhile the engine is in pieces over there and the transmission is in pieces over there. I don't think there were as many bugs and out of balance things introduced between S5 and S9 as there have been since S9.5...

I don't think I've ever read something so out of touch with the state of the game.

Which is where fixing the underlying issues would be necessary for any kind of PvP development...cause they could do all the bells and whistles: add all sorts of game types beyond just Arena, CnH, and Ker'rat; could add game lobbies for folks to set stuff up; could add leaderboards so folks could track individual and team progress; could have starter PvP, unlimited PvP; could do oh so many things...

...but in the end, you still can't take two steps without coming across something that it is either broken or massively OP compared to the next.

Until that's fixed...who the Hell would touch PvP in a game like that?

Here are some unlinked recent dev quotes...

And though they irk me...they fit this game fine, because it's just a casual pew pew are you having fun game. It doesn't have a competitive bone in it's body...it's just not that kind of game. It's not the foundation for any sort of PvP. So unless folks work toward fixing bugs, getting balance, creating progressive challenges...just how would there be PvP in this game?

Of course resources are limited, thats why its a resource, but there is no reason to halt development of an aspct of a game for five years, much less people who wish to enjoy it to put their desires on the back burner for so long. Theres no reason why they cant put a real effort into expanding PvP AND keep development of PvE going. There hasnt been any reason why they couldnt have been putting new PvP content every season that could have coincided with that release, for example. A little here and there would go a long way and no cost that much if it had dove tailed with season story arcs for maps. The other improvement could have come in peices too. Give something to show the PvP players that they have a home. I would never suggest that they dunp most lf their resources into PvP, but give it some needed attention. There can be a synergetic benefit in developing PvP on the PvE side, they should t be as silo'd as players and devs seem to make it. Cryptic can most assuredly devote some resources to PvP without denying new content in PvE. How much effort did they put into redoing some of the Romulan missions, only to delete older missolns? Really, remove content? Better planning a decision making alone would free resources without hurting content.

As far as play much, been here since beta and saw what happened with friends in the KDF. If you played an aspect of a game that tied your content and game development to "x" and that aspect recieved no development, whats the incentive to play? There was t anything interesting to keep Feds comming to PvP and little to draw new blood into seriously playing KDF.Thats why KDF mever took off.

As long players and dev's keep trying to force development into two solid silos, the game will only hurt itself. Devs can use PvE content aspects to improve PvP and visa versa. Players that wouldnt want it still wouldnt have to play it and better planning makes the whole game better.
  • Options
    gravtronf2pgravtronf2p Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Captains! Our five year anniversary brings a wealth of updates as well as a change in command! We would like you to welcome our newest Executive Producer for Star Trek Online: Stephen Ricossa!

It’s time to dust off your dress uniform, Captains!

~LaughingTrendy

Excellent! A great improvement to the underlying map engine and I can see the potential it has for the exploration aspect of the game.

BTW, this is a fantastic game. I have been playing for about five years and I have yet to explore all of its depth.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Of course resources are limited, thats why its a resource, but there is no reason to halt development of an aspct of a game for five years, much less people who wish to enjoy it to put their desires on the back burner for so long. Theres no reason why they cant put a real effort into expanding PvP AND keep development of PvE going. There hasnt been any reason why they couldnt have been putting new PvP content every season that could have coincided with that release, for example. A little here and there would go a long way and no cost that much if it had dove tailed with season story arcs for maps. The other improvement could have come in peices too. Give something to show the PvP players that they have a home. I would never suggest that they dunp most lf their resources into PvP, but give it some needed attention. There can be a synergetic benefit in developing PvP on the PvE side, they should t be as silo'd as players and devs seem to make it. Cryptic can most assuredly devote some resources to PvP without denying new content in PvE. How much effort did they put into redoing some of the Romulan missions, only to delete older missolns? Really, remove content? Better planning a decision making alone would free resources without hurting content.

As far as play much, been here since beta and saw what happened with friends in the KDF. If you played an aspect of a game that tied your content and game development to "x" and that aspect recieved no development, whats the incentive to play? There was t anything interesting to keep Feds comming to PvP and little to draw new blood into seriously playing KDF.Thats why KDF mever took off.

As long players and dev's keep trying to force development into two solid silos, the game will only hurt itself. Devs can use PvE content aspects to improve PvP and visa versa. Players that wouldnt want it still wouldnt have to play it and better planning makes the whole game better.
    The problem with this reason is the history of PvP in STO. Thanks to the rushed deadline, STO launched quite a bit roughly, with Klingons as PvP-only. This... didn't get any positive reaction whatsoever (and I can only imagine what the F2P crowd would have said). Nobody except the dedicated PvPers liked it.

But even ignoring that, quite frankly, a vast majority of players for STO either hate PvP, or simply don't care to try it. It's not exactly something that anyone would decide would make a great focus for a season, any season at all. And even if they did, for what gain? A marked increase in ship sales from a small minority of players?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the practical benefits that would ultimately make it feasible, or the logic that it is feasible now.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wouldn't having one huge map cause stability and/or lag issues if the population of all of those maps were combined too? i.e. everyone on the same map.
    The only way I can see around that is having a load of instances of the big map with the same pop caps as the current (relatively) small maps, which would lead to huge maps feeling more or less deserted. You'd end up with a feeling of being in a single player game.

I think that a compromise would be better. Something like combining two or perhaps three sector blocks i.e. sirius and regulus as a block, the three cardie blocks together etc. I think that it'd help combat a potential "ghost town" feeling while still allowing for instancing of busy sectors without having to instance the dead parts too.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wouldn't having one huge map cause stability and/or lag issues if the population of all of those maps were combined too? i.e. everyone on the same map.
    The only way I can see around that is having a load of instances of the big map with the same pop caps as the current (relatively) small maps, which would lead to huge maps feeling more or less deserted. You'd end up with a feeling of being in a single player game.

I think that a compromise would be better. Something like combining two or perhaps three sector blocks i.e. sirius and regulus as a block, the three cardie blocks together etc. I think that it'd help combat a potential "ghost town" feeling while still allowing for instancing of busy sectors without having to instance the dead parts too.

I actually think that the "ghost town" feeling would be better for the general setting of the game and the feeling of being in deep space. Yes, it's an MMO, but the way I see it now sector space just looks way too crowded anyway which was not the case in the shows, at least not to such degree.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So can Gecko go too?
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    I actually think that the "ghost town" feeling would be better for the general setting of the game and the feeling of being in deep space. Yes, it's an MMO, but the way I see it now sector space just looks way too crowded anyway which was not the case in the shows, at least not to such degree.

We don't want it so quiet that its unusual to see anyone. Like it or not this is a social game, so being too quiet isn't a good thing.

It is a bit too crowded to be immersive though atm, I admit.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    We don't want it so quiet that its unusual to see anyone. Like it or not this is a social game, so being too quiet isn't a good thing.

It is a bit too crowded to be immersive though atm, I admit.

I expect it'll be similar to now. You'll see other people when you get near hubs. When you're out in the aft-end of the galaxy, you probably won't see anyone else.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The team that brought you yet ANOTHER season launch mess is going to try their hand at Q and recreate the Galaxy. What could possibly go wrong.

Not even Jim Kirk can save the galaxy's destruction scheduled for Spring 2015

To my fellow Starfleet Captains, its been an honor serving with you. The STO galaxy wont survive the next rollout...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

OK, I'm done...
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited February 2015
    I learned from my time as a non commissioned officer in the US Army any organization will be a direct reflection of its leadership. If the leadership is jacked up, it should not surprise anyone the organization, along with whatever it is doing, will be jacked up as well.

My late father (a retired Lieutenant Colonel) said: "Leaders lead by example" and "Show me, don't tell me".

As someone more comfortable with following than leading, my version is: "If you show me that you are worth following, I will follow you. If you show me that you are not worth following, I will not follow you."
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In other words, Season 10: RIP Doffing ....

Yeah.. the different zones have different missions... I actually hate having to run around to find the 'good' doff missions. Maybe they'll have some metric that tells them which doff missions never get used and just delete them?

And welcome Stephen Ricossa. Enjoy your honeymoon period before people start ********... Oops, I see that ended at post #3! :D
  • Options
    cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men?

no singing angry men thay have already sang and are now gone!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    False! Youd dont want it so quite. But for that we have "subspace-comunication" aka Chat. I consider myself a Trekie and i want to feel alone when i am in deep space. I hate it when i get the feeling to be on a ****ing Highway in LA , on rush hour.

As I recall, very few episodes of trek had the ship completely alone in space. Unless you're going to be out exploring a galaxy at the far end of the universe like the Ent-D did for an episode in TNGs1, you're probably not going to be completely alone.
    So not false, not by any means.
    I need a beer.