What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"STO is not only healthy but is growing"

Comments

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I sincerely doubt that the game is growing, or is in as great shape as is claimed.

Anyone putting out PR that says "We're coming off implementing several changes that are almost universally despised" would (and should be) fired for incompetence. It would be unbelievably stupid for a company to publicly celebrate doing something stupid, or call attention to its stupidity.

We live in a culture of spin doctors. I don't know why anyone is surprised that we aren't seeing specific numbers or metrics. They're really none of the public's business. The only problem with this, is that it fosters a culture of doubt, since you don't really take everything that is said publicly at face value, unless you have no common sense.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    They base their data off of registered users, and that is the data they release. From what I can tell, that is a questionable method of data gathering.
    Yeah I quit playing DCUO years ago, and I'm probably counted.

And truthfully... I don't think that DR is as hated as certain posters claim.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ... I don't think that DR is as hated as certain posters claim.

...and the moon is full of cheese :D:D:D
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yeah for sure. I mean, the ques speak for themselves ya know?
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    Yeah for sure. I mean, the ques speak for themselves ya know?

They're not in PVP either

I guess they're all replaying the story missions, over and over

and over
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015

It's the most Hated and players love it
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They're not in PVP either

I guess they're all replaying the story missions, over and over

and over

or partying
    or rping
    or on their bridges making pew pew noises
    or using the foundry
    or wandering around doing red alerts
    or surfing on Risa for fun
    or at the winter wonderland for fun and/or loot
    or camping the exchange trying to make that profit
    or making awesome maymays about how awesome Delta Rising is
    or doffing
    or getting an epohh friend
    or making stuff in the foundry
    or in the tailor making outfits
    or maybe they got lost in the DQ
    or maybe I should stop with this joke
    or maybe people could learn queues are not the only way to tell if a geam is ded
    or not

ora ora
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Public companies are not obligated to report specific information about their products, unless it's pressured to do so. So it's next to impossible to say exactly how many active players etc are playing the game.

What does matter is the end result. Did they make money, and the metric investors want to see - did individual players time on the server increase?
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Never played a Korean grindy MMORPG, I take it?

Nor do I want to,you have to be that certain "Life goes on" 'special' to enjoy that kind of torture...but that's just my opinion.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    LMAO :D

If my sister had an antenna connection she'd be a 3D LED television set.

The above sentence has about the same credibility as the linked news on the OP. :P
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited January 2015
    Seriously, you had to bring the steam chart into play again for your signature? Steam may be the only visible list of numbers that we may have access to, but it is by no means a reflection of the entire game. Not everyone launches with Steam.

If X percent of players used Steam then and X percent of players use Steam now, then Steam charts are perfect for tracking trends.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    lystent wrote: »
    If X percent of players used Steam then and X percent of players use Steam now, then Steam charts are perfect for tracking trends.
    Except that we don't know that. Maybe last year it was X and this year it's X-25%?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Never played a Korean grindy MMORPG, I take it?

STO wasn't nearly as grindy when I started playing, now it is an ok game, if you are a grinder.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Except that we don't know that. Maybe last year it was X and this year it's X-25%?

What I said still holds true. But, while we do not know if x and y are the same, we are left with just using the Steam community as its own. With that we can safely say that STO is losing Steam players. Now how does that translate to the non-Steam community? Are the same reasons Steam players are leaving also making non-Steam players leave? Is there a foreign community that is making a big move into STO? Is STO becoming another game just for the orientals?
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    STO wasn't nearly as grindy when I started playing, now it is an ok game, if you are a grinder.

All MMOS have grind. It takes about 2 min to finish Argala Normal with approx 10-15k xp. So if I convert your number of posts from 5 mins per post of 904 total posts that would equate to 226 level of specializations. It seems to me you prefer to grind in the forums than grind in game.

;)
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    All MMOS have grind. It takes about 2 min to finish Argala Normal with approx 10-15k xp. So if I convert your number of posts from 5 mins per post of 904 total posts that would equate to 226 level of specializations. It seems to me you prefer to grind in the forums than grind in game.

;)

All cities have crime. Does that mean I should accept crime?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »

;)

Posting can be fun. Patrols aren't.
  • Options
    captain7upcaptain7up Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    why whinning if we could just send out ideas to cryptic. . . . like flood them with new ideas! everyone should do that to annoy the devs and make them like "AAA!! okay fine we'll make this for you!" . . . . i think we should not care about whinning in the forums. . . after all staying for a day in the forums for whinning makes you fall behind from other players in the game. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What I said still holds true. But, while we do not know if x and y are the same, we are left with just using the Steam community as its own. With that we can safely say that STO is losing Steam players. Now how does that translate to the non-Steam community? Are the same reasons Steam players are leaving also making non-Steam players leave? Is there a foreign community that is making a big move into STO? Is STO becoming another game just for the orientals?
    Also, doesn't Steam only track it if you launch the game through Steam? Thus anyone who has decided they don't want to have steam eating resources while they play won't get tracked via steam.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    arcgames ?

Buahahahahahaha, ya I'm sure someone actually believes the company's propaganda.

Best expansion eveaaaaaaaahhh
    :D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I play from one of two computers. When I try to log in on #2, I have to use the standalone launcher, because Steam keeps insisting I'm logged in on #1 (even when it's turned off).

Therefore, at least half of my playtime is not shown in that little chart. And I doubt strongly that I'm alone - when the Arc launcher first came out, I recall several people saying that they were only using the standalone because they didn't want another program eating resources in the background.

This thread does show us why we don't get a lot of communication from the devs - why bother, when everything they say is going to be dismissed as a lie anyway?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I play from one of two computers. When I try to log in on #2, I have to use the standalone launcher, because Steam keeps insisting I'm logged in on #1 (even when it's turned off).

Therefore, at least half of my playtime is not shown in that little chart. And I doubt strongly that I'm alone - when the Arc launcher first came out, I recall several people saying that they were only using the standalone because they didn't want another program eating resources in the background.

This thread does show us why we don't get a lot of communication from the devs - why bother, when everything they say is going to be dismissed as a lie anyway?

because I, the great and mighty, holy fan demands it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

That's the same justification I use to stop offering feedback. Why bother writing out my own perspective about some part of the game, bother justifying my stance with supporting arguments, and offer solutions when I will simply be dismissed as an 'entitled whiner' by some and be told the forums have no useful feedback by the developers.

I understand the justification, doesn't make it right though.
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just to quickly say, there have been many people leaving this game, long term players too, both in my fleet and my friends list.

a few of them left due to the lack of customer services. others because they got sick of the game in general.

i was going to delete my account a few months ago, but i have a fleet to look after.

i am an optimistic person forever hopeing for the best, iv even stopped a few people leaving.

but i am wearing thin now, i find this game no longer enjoyable, but exhausting
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    balkumbalkum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How many people play STO?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    balkum wrote: »
    Hard to say, given that accounts are only sometimes deleted if they're left completely inactive for over a year, and we have no access to actual hard data regarding unique logins. I can say that I've never been in an area of space not occupied by at least three or four other ships at the same time, but again, that's mere anecdote, not actual data.

Anything said in these forums on that topic is speculation, nothing more.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    balkum wrote: »

stoleviathan
    iconian
    anazonda
    js26568
    me
    and you.

The rest are just alts.

I am not even sure if I am not just an alt of iconian. I could just be a result of schizophrenia.

I think only Cryptic knows how many people really play STO. There is no way to find out how many unique logins happen in the game, or anything like that, for anyone of us.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

stoleviathan
    iconian
    anazonda
    js26568
    me
    and you.

The rest are just alts.

I am not even sure if I am not just an alt of iconian. I could just be a result of schizophrenia.

I think only Cryptic knows how many people really play STO. There is no way to find out how many unique logins happen in the game, or anything like that, for anyone of us.

Funny thing is, I've only ever seen one person on the forums who I've actually encountered in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2015
    Believe cryptic hype or not.........If you don't have experience in this game believe whatever metrics or numbers someone can throw out here

Personally I have experence in this game.. I dont believe there metrics because they will use them in a way that always shows the most positive result...Or not show them at all and just tell you what they want you to believe

As a long time active player I believe what I see in the game... And nothing is wrong with my memory

We have lost a lot of veteran players with DR

We have gained a lot of new players most of whom will not stay with us a long time

There is no place for star trek fans to go so we have kept most of them however a lot of them no longer support the game with cash as they once did

cryptic has found a way to milk more cash from the majority of players with the upgrade system that shows them making more money... I believe this will be a short term gain

I don't see the game as healthy at all

I dont see the Qs as healthy

The added levels and the skill points are really nice but the unhealthy part of that is funneling everyone into patrols to level up by offering 5x the experience for a patrol at argula verses the rest of the content in the game

I see this as hurtfull to the game and the playerbase
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse