Install Arc
Options

Stop Blaming the DPSers

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    When a kid is asking for a toy, you can give him, no matter what, and you'll ends up with a spoiled brat.

And I totally blame Cryptic for doing that...it's just a case of making that distinction that Cryptic didn't come up with all these nutty (imho) things on their own. They should have known better (imho) than to do what they did...definitely (again imho).

They give the appearance of being very hesitant at looking at any balance issues, though I believe one of them had mentioned in the past that much of their time in that area is spent hunting down and fixing various exploits.

But it's not really an excuse that I personally accept since it's an excuse born out of their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

"We don't have the resources to do better QA, because the resources are being spent on chasing down exploits."

And as long as they continue not to allocate those resources to better QA, they're going to continue to spend them chasing down things. Cryptic saying they're chasing their own tail is not an excuse, it's a /facepalm.

But getting back to the balance pass angle, there's pretty large looking/vocal group of secretive and antagonistic players when it comes to any sort of balance. They don't want it. With their omgherd grind they see everywhere, every little advantageous bug is a bonus for them allowing them to get through their perceived grind faster. It's one of the reasons I believe they dislike the DPS folks even if they have no interaction with them of any kind...because the DPS folks are drawing Cryptic's attention to things perhaps not working quite as they were designed or as intended. So if Cryptic goes in there and fixes that stuff, forget even getting to the balance pass, if Cryptic fixes that stuff...well, it's going to make that omgherd grind that some are complaining about worse. They don't want that.

Which is kind of funny, because it goes back to the spoiled thing at the start, eh?

I've got 9001 steaming piles ready to drop in Cryptic's lap for countless things...but it doesn't mean I'm not going to look at the players without a /facepalm from time to time.

Cryptic isn't some villainous organization funded by some nefarious cartel that's Hellbent on making us suffer, despite what some folks out there like to say. They're a business. They stay in business by trying to please their customers. Not all their customers want the same thing. It makes the forums entertaining at times.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Originally posted here.

Stop blaming the DPSers for the problems in this game. Especially the HP buffs of all the NPCs.

The devs did not do this for 0.1% of the players base. They didn't do this because we demanded more challenge. They do not care about any of the players.

What they care about is slowing the game down so people spend more time in game, basically "cooking the books" when it comes to their metrics.

Pre-DR a lot of the events where too easy, and very quickly completed.

When DR hit tribble a few of us figured out that the Devs are implementing time gates on all the ingame currencies.

Their intention is that players only make X mount of Dil, EC, Marks, BNPs, and/or XP per hour. anything that provides more than X amount/hour was removed or nerfed.

Take a look at all the available Elite Space Queues:
    http://i.imgur.com/72xaZIL.jpg

They are all long, tedious, and unrewarding. they are all time gates, and apart from Korfez, none of them can be completed in under 15-20 minutes.

NWS Elite now takes 45minutes-1 hour for a top DPS team to complete and rewards the same amount of marks that NWS normal does.

This ensures that a player cannot get more than 3 or 4 Salvage Tech per hour.

This is why they will not be releasing Elite version of the Borg STFs. They have no way to slow players down in IS, CS, or KS so it highly likely that top players like myself would be able to get 3 Salvage Techs in 15 minutes!

The same applies for the Advanced queues, they do not want players getting Dil/BNPs/whatever too fast.

That's why they will never give out any kind of good reward for Normal Queues, they're just completed too fast.

TL: DR If you want someone to blame for the state of the game currently, don't look at the high DPSers. We're just convenient scapegoats. The way the game is right now is entirely intentional and pre-meditated by the Devs.

What you're seeing is some basic stuff that most mmo's today follow, WoW, SWTOR, among other big name MMOs and now STO. Almost all mmo's have a cooldown on heroics, flash points, instances, or whatever you want to call them today. In the case of WoW, cooldowns were put in place as part of an anti-goldseller, tactic. Alot of gold sellers were going through stuff, farming out the gold, and trying to sell it, in addition to running older content from previous expacs. While there were some players who did this legitimately to make their gold, it was enough of a problem that something had to be done. In the process, players paid the price as well, but it cut back on the ability of the gold sellers to do what they do. That's one of the big reasons for it. It was also done to prevent a flood of materials that you could get from the heroics for professions from hitting the market at one time. They want some stuff to be somewhat harder to get, and some stuff should indeed be harder to get. Plus some people kept resetting the instances to spam them so they could get all their gear from it in a stupid short amount of time and essentially invalidated the content too fast. Plus it also helps keep the instances servers from being overloaded and is supposed to encourage folks to get out into the world. That's just some of the reasons that WoW implemented cooldowns. Other MMOs such as SWTOR and STO do so for similar reasons.

The big thing with MMOs is they're supposed to take time for you to clear certain content. If people out leveled the content too fast the players would complain about never having any content and drop off. So they need to find a happy medium between the two.

As for the enemy npc characters getting a health increase. With any increase in level cap, there is also an increase in the health and strength of enemy npcs. It's done in WoW, SWTOR, STO and all other mmos. It's meant to be a challenge to the players and to give the impression of a stronger enemy. The problem in STO as to why the health was then reduced, is the health increase was too drastic, especially in Fleet Alert. It essentially rendered missions like Fleet Alert unplayable unless you had super great gear before hand, and had all max level toons. The health of enemies needed to come up to compete with the new level 60 stuff, the problem though is it was too drastic of a change and had to be nerfed a bit. Before it was nerfed back, if you had a lowbie player in there, he was essentially holding his team back and was a liability that for most teams, meant automatic failure which isn't cool. Basically the move didn't take into account the balance of missions like fleet alert as well as it needed to.

For time on missions, most normals can be completed in a quick amount of time. Even advanced and elite can be completed fairly quickly IF the team knows what they're doing. the average time is about 10-20 minutes. The problem is you get people who don't know what they're doing in there and in some cases have no desire to learn or listen, or even just want to be a jerk to people, and as such the mission fails. Not to sound elitist, but there is no legitimate reason for people to be failing missions with as much as there is out there to tell you what you need to do. If you just started playing and don't know what you're doing or you have never done the mission before, sorry but you have no business in advanced or especially elite. Do normals first to get an idea of what to do, and then build on that with the higher difficulties. If players don't know what to do they need to read a guide, or speak up and ask someone who has experience. Most players will be willing to help. I'm not sure what kind of elites and advanced games you've been in, but the ones i have been with a competent team were done in 10-20 minutes. The problem is people not willing to learn and work together when they have to, and/or admit they need help with a mission. Part of that is that some of the community can be toxic, but at the same time they TRIBBLE over themselves and their team.

As for rewards, why should the easiest difficulty reward items that are just as good as what you can get from the hardest difficulties? The answer is they shouldn't. Again not to sound like a jerk but if you want the rewards the higher difficulties give out, do those difficulties. The different difficulties exist for a reason and as such they're designed to give out varying levels of rewards. I see alot of people on WoW complaining that they're never able to get into the higher tiers of raiding, yet who aren't willing to put in the work necessary to get into and succeed in the higher tiers. Then they turn around and complain that they're not getting enough of a reward. I do think the difficulties should reward decent stuff, but by no means should the rewards for normal be on par with advanced or elite. With STO if you want to raise the EC to buy a Ferengi D'kora and put forth minimal effort, you'll get minimul results, but if you farm your butt off and work for it, you'll eventually get one.

No the problem isn't with the dpsers, the problem is with the community itself.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cryptic isn't some villainous organization funded by some nefarious cartel that's Hellbent on making us suffer, despite what some folks out there like to say. They're a business. They stay in business by trying to please their customers. Not all their customers want the same thing. It makes the forums entertaining at times.
    I never thought that. But they are more and more greedy every day. It's a business, but everything they can do to make money, they'll do. You have the "doing business" thing, and being greedy and do anything for money.
    Time gating R&D, or the upgrade, the T6 with super powers (surgical strike, anyone ?), remaking the intrepid (after selling token to upgrade it) into a better ship.. all of those are made simply for money. Not for business, but just to make money. More and more.

And powercreep made them money. Like a cruiser almost specifically made for the, at that time, flavor of the month A2B build. To a point where they did livestream with this build on this ship. Only to say, at the same time on the forum that A2b is OP and are looking at a way to nerf it.

I don't know how much is Cryptic, and how much is PWE. And honestly, I don't care much, since I'm the one dealing with the results. And as a results, we have a powercreep out of control, and an unbalanced game.

And sooner or later, I think (and hope somehow, because it's not a proper way to make business), the players will grow tired of that and leave.
    Always pleasing a number of players is not a lasting way of conducting business. Most of them are like the kid who wants a toy, only to forget it an hour later. They want that now ! But then, they forget, because it wasn't that important, or it was much less cool than what they thought. On the other hand, balance and powercreep are here to stay, and you can see it every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I never thought that. But they are more and more greedy every day. It's a business, but everything they can do to make money, they'll do. You have the "doing business" thing, and being greedy and do anything for money.
    Time gating R&D, or the upgrade, the T6 with super powers (surgical strike, anyone ?), remaking the intrepid (after selling token to upgrade it) into a better ship.. all of those are made simply for money. Not for business, but just to make money. More and more.

How is timegating R&D being greedy? I don't feel the need to hit any of the Finish Now buttons. I queue the various upgrades before I log out. When I log in the next day, they're done. That I can set and forget things, so I can actually go play the game instead of being stuck there hammering away at something...to me is a good thing.

I don't see Cryptic having people pay for their impatience and need to have it yesterday as being greedy...greedy would be making everybody pay for it. They haven't done that. They might be pulling it in hand over fist for folks that can't wait...but I'm not really fond of those people, so that doesn't bother me in the least. My stuff gets crafted, my stuff gets upgraded...when it gets crafted, when it gets upgraded. If it takes me time to get it done, then it takes me time to get it done.

Selling an upgraded version of a ship after selling an upgraded version of the ship? You noticed the part in there about each being an upgrade, right? So is there a problem in paying for upgrades? I don't expect stuff like that for free.

Folks first picked up that free T4 Intrepid. They also had the option to buy that upgraded T4 Intrepid. At T5, they could buy another upgraded Intrepid. They could even turn around and buy an upgraded Fleet Intrepid. Then we had the T5U upgrades, and you could buy another upgrade. Yep, they dropped out an upgraded T6 Intrepid you can buy. Here's the real shocker, there's going to be an upgraded Fleet T6 Intrepid you can buy. Yeah, upgrades...you buy them...amazing concept!

How about we look at a Marauder next, eh? There's the T5 Marauder you can buy. There's no Fleet upgrade. You can buy a T5U upgrade, but you'll not have the Fleet T5U since there is no Fleet T5 Marauder. There's also no T6 Marauder, so there won't be a Fleet T6 Marauder.

So the complaint is about having the option to buy upgrades and continue flying a ship while others don't have those kind of options?

There are a lot of complaints in this game about having options, having content, and the like...it's odd to me.

As for the Intel abilities, lol, yeah - some of them are at one end of the spectrum while others are down in the shadows on the other end of the spectrum. Have to remember, these are the guys that believe Tac, Eng, and Sci BOFF abilities are balanced...Hell, they even said that shortly before DR in a podcast no? I think that was the last one I listened to...I threw my back out laughing.
    And powercreep made them money. Like a cruiser almost specifically made for the, at that time, flavor of the month A2B build. To a point where they did livestream with this build on this ship. Only to say, at the same time on the forum that A2b is OP and are looking at a way to nerf it.

First, keep in mind the guy that mentioned not being happy with AtB is no longer with the company.

But anyway, yes - some powercreep is going to be necessary. The new. The better. I don't know about you, but I'm no longer watching a 13" black & white TV with rabbit ears. Those Blu-Ray discs don't quite fit in the ol' Betamax machine. I'm not typing this out on a Vic20 with an amber monitor connected to a 300 Baud modem. I don't need a cart to carry around my cellphone.

Powercreep...it's going to happen.
    I don't know how much is Cryptic, and how much is PWE. And honestly, I don't care much, since I'm the one dealing with the results. And as a results, we have a powercreep out of control, and an unbalanced game.

Honestly, I don't believe much of the stuff these days is powercreep as much as it is simply broken...I've never seen as much broken stuff with previous releases. It gets to the point of not wanting to look at any of it...cause I start to wonder why I haven't just uninstalled.
    And sooner or later, I think (and hope somehow, because it's not a proper way to make business), the players will grow tired of that and leave.
    Always pleasing a number of players is not a lasting way of conducting business. Most of them are like the kid who wants a toy, only to forget it an hour later. They want that now ! But then, they forget, because it wasn't that important, or it was much less cool than what they thought. On the other hand, balance and powercreep are here to stay, and you can see it every day.

Are there more folks asking for even more powercreep than there are folks popping some Tums cause the amount of powercreep is getting to them? To me, each time Cryptic starts to do something that looks like they're investing in the game for the long term...they cave to their special customers, and meh - I'm no longer a Cheetos and Diet Mountain Dew guy...I've got no room for the Cheetos, I'm filling up with Tums and Excedrin.
  • Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    well is not only some players fault its the Cryptyc allsow , for example i remember when i was playing Lineage 2 : some people discovered that using shiled on a dagger class (assasin based on backstabs) is overpower , the shield in L2 works as a hit and skill block , so they had tons of evasion and the ability to block the hits and damage spells ... and the damage , ok that had to be nerfed but ... how , so they lowered by alot the block rate of shield , but they added a passive to classes that suppose to wear shield (the tanks), and that passive increased the block chance , simple and efficient . WHY does not Cryptic act the same way ...? And here we get back to the players , they love power , they BUY the power.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kerygan wrote: »
    well is not only some players fault its the Cryptyc allsow , for example i remember when i was playing Lineage 2 : some people discovered that using shiled on a dagger class (assasin based on backstabs) is overpower , the shield in L2 works as a hit and skill block , so they had tons of evasion and the ability to block the hits and damage spells ... and the damage , ok that had to be nerfed but ... how , so they lowered by alot the block rate of shield , but they added a passive to classes that suppose to wear shield (the tanks), and that passive increased the block chance , simple and efficient . WHY does not Cryptic act the same way ...? And here we get back to the players , they love power , they BUY the power.

Cryptic doesn't do things the long, difficult way. They do things in the way that takes them the least effort possible.

"Ok folks, I want to increase the difficulty of these missions"

"Shall I give the NPCs lots of skills they can use and improve their AI?"

"No, just increase their hit points in the data table. It's almost lunchtime"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's true for every game, where balance is a an everyday work.
    For STO, it's a "not today" work. They balance the new skill/power when it's released, then they don't bother again. Obviously, it leads to some absurd situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Cryptic doesn't do things the long, difficult way. They do things in the way that takes them the least effort possible.

"Ok folks, I want to increase the difficulty of these missions"

"Shall I give the NPCs lots of skills they can use and improve their AI?"
    Without more hit points, NPCs still blow up fast - you won't see anything of their AI.

One of the devs explained it rather well - the Voth actually have some interesting AI - they heal and support each other - except, if you blow them up in 10 seconds, you're not seeing anything of it.

NPCs that last longer are a necessary prerequisite. They aren't sufficient, of course, to make combat more interesting.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Stop blaming the DPSers for the problems in this game. Especially the HP buffs of all the NPCs.

The devs did not do this for 0.1% of the players base. They didn't do this because we demanded more challenge. They do not care about any of the players.

What they care about is slowing the game down so people spend more time in game, basically "cooking the books" when it comes to their metrics.

Pre-DR a lot of the events where too easy, and very quickly completed.

Stop throwing random, and pitiful excuses. We DPSers are at fault, and thats its the entire truth. I know, than you wanna take hatred swords pointed out at DPSers throat, but do this in honorable way, and admit its a partially your fault !

Why i write this post, even when i hate forums, and any forum activities, its simple, i hate pitiful lies even more. You see, I was a top DPSer in Neverwinter, and i know mechanism in Crypitc games., and you know it too, even if you denied it so much, after all its pointed in your post. Here it is; if better the DPS is, then they more boost enemies HP, and enemies minions, and if you add to this complains from top DPSers than difficulty level is too low, then they sky rocket the new difficulty level, and they will not care one a bit if this new glass wall will be breakable or not. That is the truth in Neverinter and in STO now, and your excuses will not change that.

Current power creeps and difficulity glass levels start from us, and our performance in combat. Cryptic does not care for players and they fun, but they watch metric very closely, and they wanna make unbreakable dungeons, where they will be only a chance to accomplish them. Then your every ego pumped movie (wizards of sto present) , every DPS value signature (Jena done x dps), every self centered post, where you pointing how good you are, this will all be collected by Cryptic and used against player base, as a new difficulty level. They will create new HP boost, new NPC power boost, or simply infinite swarm of minions jumping from thin air or crawling from walls in response to YOUR BATTLE PERFORMANCE, and your (DPSers) alone, then if you wanna blame someone, blame yourself.

I don`t hate you, or even dislike you, simply i don`t know you. But this what you wrote here on this topic is blatant lie, because I know from my experiences in Neverwinter that you are telling lies, the hell my experiences, most DPSers posts in this topic tell the same, than you are telling lies.

One more thing for future, Cryptic slowly turn STO mechanics to similar to this from Neverwinter now, not otherwise.

Ps: Sorry for my bad English. I didn`t write in this language for a long time, and now its... well bit rusty.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    varethael wrote: »
    Stop throwing random, and pitiful excuses. We DPSers are at fault, and thats its the entire truth. I know, than you wanna take hatred swords pointed out at DPSers throat, but do this in honorable way, and admit its a partially your fault !

Why i write this post, even when i hate forums, and any forum activities, its simple, i hate pitiful lies even more. You see, I was a top DPSer in Neverwinter, and i know mechanism in Crypitc games., and you know it too, even if you denied it so much, after all its pointed in your post. Here it is; if better the DPS is, then they more boost enemies HP, and enemies minions, and if you add to this complains from top DPSers than difficulty level is too low, then they sky rocket the new difficulty level, and they will not care one a bit if this new glass wall will be breakable or not. That is the truth in Neverinter and in STO, and your excuses will not change that.

Current power creeps and difficulity glass levels start from us, and our performance in combat. Cryptic does not care for players and they fun, but they watch metric very closely, and they wanna make unbreakable dungeons, where they will be only a chance to accomplish them. Then your every ego pumped movie (wizards of sto present) , every DPS value signature (Jena done x dps), every self centered post, where you pointing how good you are, this will all be collected by cryptic and used against player base, as a new difficulity lewel. They will create new HP boost, new NPC power boost, or simply infinite swarm of minions jumping from thin air or crawling from walls in response to YOUR BATTLE PERFORMANCE, and your (DPSers) alone, then if you wanna blame someone, blame yourself.

I don`t hate you, or even dislike you, simply i don`t know you. But this what you wrote here on this topic is blatant lie, because I know from my experiences in Neverwinter that you are wrong.

Ps: Sorry for my bad English. I didn`t write in this language for a long time, and now its... well bit rusty.
    IF you would told me that you ware the best dpser in Lineage 2 , or WoW , or any other "balanced game" i would listen to you , otherwise you just posted a useless wall of text , have fun more with your proffesionalism.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's amusing to watch how this argument evolved. A couple of you started out that scrubs shouldn't be allowed in. I argued for the scrubs. When it was pretty obvious they are allowed in by entitlement because they paid their way to be there and the system allows and encourages them to be there, you change their names to leeches and griefers. Build that strawman up some more. We all know you are still talking about the 6k dpsers. You just made them into evil bogeyman trolls by changing their names. When you can no longer justify bashing uniformed players or players who get by on what the missions reward them, turn them into ogres. That way your torch and pitchfork are quite handy.

It's Cryptic who made it. I asked my dad for all kinds of toys growing up. I didn't get everything I asked for. Had he given me everything I asked for, then he would have enabled me just like you say the players asking for everything are the ones to blame when daddy warbucks Cryptic/PWE just keeps handing them new toys to keep them playing nice with their wallets.

Paint it red and call it a herring all you want but it's still a strawman and you are building one huge Wicker Man that is going to burn really well for its sacrifice.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We should not fight each other we have to focus on our common enemy.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    bridgern wrote: »
    We should not fight each other we have to focus on our common enemy.

No, we shouldn't be. There are lots of accusations of heads in the sand, entitlements, purposefully underperforming, purposely overperforming, and pointing everywhere but at that big gorilla in the back of the room. As long as everyone feels self-entitled and has their own head in the sand, that's the way it's going to be. There are tools and methods to avoid any game play you don't want to experience built into the same system that allows others to have any game play they want to experience but the self-entitled heads in the sand shouldn't have to use them when everyone else should just stay off the playground if they don't have a clique endorsed ball to play with. You can argue until you turn blue in the face that the system is exactly as it's designed and you get out of it what the designers put into it and no one is going to listen.

Note: Head in sand sarcasm in case you miss it.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    It's amusing to watch how this argument evolved. A couple of you started out that scrubs shouldn't be allowed in. I argued for the scrubs. When it was pretty obvious they are allowed in by entitlement because they paid their way to be there and the system allows and encourages them to be there, you change their names to leeches and griefers. Build that strawman up some more. We all know you are still talking about the 6k dpsers. You just made them into evil bogeyman trolls by changing their names. When you can no longer justify bashing uniformed players or players who get by on what the missions reward them, turn them into ogres. That way your torch and pitchfork are quite handy.

It's Cryptic who made it. I asked my dad for all kinds of toys growing up. I didn't get everything I asked for. Had he given me everything I asked for, then he would have enabled me just like you say the players asking for everything are the ones to blame when daddy warbucks Cryptic/PWE just keeps handing them new toys to keep them playing nice with their wallets.

Paint it red and call it a herring all you want but it's still a strawman and you are building one huge Wicker Man that is going to burn really well for its sacrifice.

scrubs is as derogatory as leeches and griefers.

I am not commenting on this thread because I have not seen anyone actually blaming "the dpsers" whatever that means lol. I consider it trollbait as a thread and its proving to be correct as everyone starts blaming each other.

Its a title to instil anger and then it just goes downhill from there.

The thread worked.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015

1. It's only obvious to you that people who are incompetent are entitled to negatively impact people's game, because they feel like it. To everyone else, it's ridiculous.

2. I've been calling them leechers, griefers, and trolls. That's what they are. They are leeching off of people who can, because they can't, but want rewards. They are griefing the average player, because those are the ones failing, because they can't carry them. They are trolling the STFs, because they KNOW they don't belong there.

3. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm talking about 5k DPS and under (specifically, <2k). That is less than the average, which is anywhere from 8-12k.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend people who are intentionally impacting other people in-game in a negative way, unless you are one of them. Do you also think it's everyone's right to make STFs fail even when they COULD contribute, just for LOLs? That's really no different. The intent is still to go in and knowingly do next to nothing.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder what would happen if the high DPSers switched tactics and pulled a John Galt instead of continuing on business as usual?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think you're being a little over dramatic OP. This seems like an attention seeking thread more then anything else, but I will bite either way and throw in my two cents.

I don't believe the current issues with the Advanced and Elite space queues are a problem caused by the high dps people in the game nor do I believe it is a response to the cries of a minority of players to increase the difficulty of the game. While in seeing how much dps the elite player base can achieve may have factored into Cryptic's decision to increase NPC hit point I believe it's probably more a case of constant power creep being introduced and the need for more room to introduce even more of said power creep. The increased hit point for the NPC ships are there to help maintain the difficulty of the missions in the face of upgraded MK XIV gear, ship traits etc... as well as future p2w stuff that cryptic will undoubtedly introduce to the masses in the coming year. So it's more of a poorly thought out balance pass for all the garbage they have shoveled into the game over the last few years that have made the higher difficulty missions much easier to complete.

High dps people just put on display the extreme end of what is possible with all the power creep that's currently available. So while it may have factored in a little to the changes that were made with DR. I see it like most other additions in DR, as a way for them to keep selling more p2w junk while trying to maintain the status quo.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    1. It's only obvious to you that people who are incompetent are entitled to negatively impact people's game, because they feel like it. To everyone else, it's ridiculous.

2. I've been calling them leechers, griefers, and trolls. That's what they are. They are leeching off of people who can, because they can't, but want rewards. They are griefing the average player, because those are the ones failing, because they can't carry them. They are trolling the STFs, because they KNOW they don't belong there.

3. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm talking about 5k DPS and under (specifically, <2k). That is less than the average, which is anywhere from 8-12k.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend people who are intentionally impacting other people in-game in a negative way, unless you are one of them. Do you also think it's everyone's right to make STFs fail even when they COULD contribute, just for LOLs? That's really no different. The intent is still to go in and knowingly do next to nothing.

Because you can avoid it 100% of the time. It's YOUR fault you put up with it. Do you stick your hand in boiling water then complain your hand hurts? Then why do you continue to go into these events and complain they fail? It's not hard to figure it out, man. If you don't go into the pugs, you don't fail pugs. You can do these missions with friends who play like you and you know how to work together. If you don't have four friends...

Bonus information for you. If you go in with four friends and you know you won't make it, you can leave without a time penalty and start it again. You own the instance.

As for being one of them, no. I have figure out exactly what I said just now and have said to you over and over again. Don't pug and expect to breeze through it or even win half the time.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Because you can avoid it 100% of the time. It's YOUR fault you put up with it.

While I can see where you are coming from, with each post of you I ask myself, if you would account a victim of unwilling penetration (the real word is banned here^^) to be guilty of provoking it, because she was clothed TRIBBLE...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Because you can avoid it 100% of the time. It's YOUR fault you put up with it. Do you stick your hand in boiling water then complain your hand hurts? Then why do you continue to go into these events and complain they fail?

What about the average player, who can pull their weight in these STFs? They need to search out and find ways to join these STFs?

I can carry 1 or 2 people. I'm not failing, even with the leechers/griefers/trollers. I can just join fleet queues or DPS channel runs. The average person, well, may not be able to do that.

But, you know, these people are entitled to ruin someone's fun. This is true because there's no "STF cop" there to police every STF, so that means the devs want it that way. :rolleyes:

That is unbelievably faulty logic.

If a bank doesn't have a security guard with a gun, it means they want to be robbed. And it should be.

If I leave my car unlocked, it means I want it to be stolen. And it should be.

If a kid doesn't take Karate, it means he wants to be bullied. And he should be.

After all, a bank could just spend more money, even if it's not in their budget. I would assume a stolen car by forgetting to lock my door. That kid shouldn't be walking around not knowing how to beat people up.

See? I can make ridiculous statements too. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    While I can see where you are coming from, with each post of you I ask myself, if you would account a victim of unwilling penetration (the real word is banned here^^) to be guilty of provoking it, because she was clothed TRIBBLE...

That's completely irrelevant and not a game. It's like asking if I think people born in a famine zone deserve to starve. This is not the real world. It doesn't work like and the consequences in it are meaningless.
    What about the average player, who can pull their weight in these STFs? They need to search out and find ways to join these STFs?

I can carry 1 or 2 people. I'm not failing, even with the leechers/griefers/trollers. I can just join fleet queues or DPS channel runs. The average person, well, may not be able to do that.

But, you know, these people are entitled to ruin someone's fun. This is true because there's no "STF cop" there to police every STF, so that means the devs want it that way. :rolleyes:

That is unbelievably faulty logic.

If a bank doesn't have a security guard with a gun, it means they want to be robbed. And it should be.

If I leave my car unlocked, it means I want it to be stolen. And it should be.

If a kid doesn't take Karate, it means he wants to be bullied. And he should be.

After all, a bank could just spend more money, even if it's not in their budget. I would assume a stolen car by forgetting to lock my door. That kid shouldn't be walking around not knowing how to beat people up.

See? I can make ridiculous statements too. :rolleyes:

You do. Keep up the good work. Your need to win 100% of the pugs you go into is unbelievably faulty expectations when you know how to get a system that wins. I can show you the water but I can't make you drink it. If you want to continue to suffer the injustice in the game, by all means do so. If you want to avoid it, do what I said.

That bank? They know there are cops out there who will attempt to keep it from happening. There are no cops here. They don't care as long as you pay them for being here in some way or another.

Edit: This is what you are doing: http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif You know the horse is dead. Ride a different one.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    That's completely irrelevant and not a game. It's like asking if I think people born in a famine zone deserve to starve. This is not the real world. It doesn't work like and the consequences in it are meaningless.

You do. Keep up the good work. Your need to win 100% of the pugs you go into is unbelievably faulty expectations when you know how to get a system that wins. I can show you the water but I can't make you drink it. If you want to continue to suffer the injustice in the game, by all means do so. If you want to avoid it, do what I said.

1. Not wanting to have leechers/griefers/trollers in Advanced queues does not equal "need to win 100% of the pugs I go into." I'm not really sure where that assumption comes from, but it is false. It's not about anyone with above average DPS. The ones being hit by this are the average players.

There is a thing linked to the CombatLogReader called the DPS league table. Every time someone uploads a parse, it saves everyone's DPS to a file, which you can look at. It overwrites lower DPS if you get a higher score. It will only upload on a successful completion.

One could easily look at this and see what the average player is doing, and the ridiculous amount some are doing.

Because someone CAN ruin someone's fun, because it's basically impossible to stop, doesn't mean they are entitled to do so. You are saying everyone has to deal with it, just because.

What if you only have time to play half an hour? And/or you aren't a member of a DPS channel, and/or you are in your own 1 person fleet? LOL someone is "entitled" to ruin that for you. It must be true because it's possible. Cryptic wants it to be! Huh? Nah, that don't taste right, Chef.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    1. Not wanting to have leechers/griefers/trollers in Advanced queues does not equal "need to win 100% of the pugs I go into." I'm not really sure where that assumption comes from, but it is false. It's not about anyone with above average DPS. The ones being hit by this are the average players.

There is a thing linked to the CombatLogReader called the DPS league table. Every time someone uploads a parse, it saves everyone's DPS to a file, which you can look at. It overwrites lower DPS if you get a higher score. It will only upload on a successful completion.

One could easily look at this and see what the average player is doing, and the ridiculous amount some are doing.

Because someone CAN ruin someone's fun, because it's basically impossible to stop, doesn't mean they are entitled to do so. You are saying everyone has to deal with it, just because.

What if you only have time to play half an hour? And/or you aren't a member of a DPS channel, and/or you are in your own 1 person fleet? LOL someone is "entitled" to ruin that for you. It must be true because it's possible. Cryptic wants it to be! Huh? Nah, that don't taste right, Chef.

See the edit above. Get a new horse. The one you are beating is long since dead and you know you aren't going to get anywhere riding it. And quite right. It's true because it's possible. It's true because not only is it possible but because it's possible over and over as long as they want to do it. Ask the fake Saint Olivia.

I'm sorry for the average player who hasn't figure it out. But you know what? There's nothing I can do about it EXCEPT tell them how to not encounter it in the first place.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "The queues being empty should tell D'Angelo all he needs to know about the state of STFs today..." - Palpadean

"I blame, specifically, Steven D'Angelo and Al Rivera for being idiots who don't understand video games, don't know how to run a MMO, and clearly dislike their own customers. I can't think of any other explanation for the game's problems except incompetence at the very top." - FuturePastNow

"The biggest problem STO has is just how far out of touch the Dev Leads are from the players. When I listen to their interviews I often wonder if they're talking about the same game." - Cidevant

"To play devil's advocate here, they have to meet metrics to keep their bosses happy, too, and some of those metrics might be fairly unreasonable from the perspective of making a fun, immersive, and reasonably challenging game. How they execute the whims of the higher-ups can almost certainly be improved, but unless we know exactly what's being asked of them by both the players (easy) and the PWE paymasters (not ruddy likely) we can't say for sure." - MrVeazey

"If I were CBS I'd be looking at pulling the plug on it all. The game is arguably creating more bad publicity for the Star Trek property than good and its starting to die. I haven't played for more than a few months but from what I have heard from veteran players it started to go downhill when the Chinese bought the game.

CBS should pull the contract and get a new game made by someone who understands MMOs like CCP or Blizzard." -
    thereddaikon

Just posting some of the posters responses from the original thread from the other site, intriguing to say the least.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    frakr wrote: »
    If you really believe what you have written there, then you just have shown that you lack what all the other players who can't pull their weight in a team PVE lack: understanding of game mechanics.

Pulling these insane DPS numbers isn't about buying yourself a T5U C-Store ship and slapping epic Mk 14 gear on it. In fact, you can do pretty well without all that. These runs require a premade team with debuffing, coordination and communication between the players. So ship operating skills and knowledge about set boni and synergies have a lot to do with it.

Take e.g. Ryan who managed to pull 40k in the weakest ship (Galaxy) the game has to offer. Or another player who slapped 8 Mk 2 turrets on his freely-available Chel Grett and pulled over 10k pre-DR.

Just because you can't make it work like others can doesn't mean the game is pay2win ...

You have missed the point entirely, and you're making an assumption that is utterly wrong.

I would qualify as one of the serious DPSers people complain about, and I'm flying a regular old Fleet Excelsior loaded with regular old Fleet gear. I assure you, I pull a great deal more than my weight in PvE teams.

The point is that there is no way that Cryptic will ever deal with this problem because what they (and PWE) see is not a problem. Instead, they see money. They increase the need for DPS and in turn the players have to deal it out in order to be successful, so they're willing to spend money on the quick jump in DPS.

Since many people would prefer to simply buy a ship and/or equipment that will do the kind of damage necessary to deal with the higher-HP enemies Cryptic has shoved into the game (because it's easier to give enemies higher HP than it is to code them with new and different mechanics (lazy developers)), they're spending money.

That's what both Cryptic and PWE want.

I used the Scimitar as just one example of the root problem, not the sole reason people complain about high DPS players.

And again, the root problem is that Cryptic and PWE want people to buy ships that deal ridiculous amounts of DPS, and they know that many players would prefer to take the easy way out by buying an overpowered ship than learn to dole out DPS in other ways.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I learned this long before DR. I learned this long before the reputation system. I learned this when the only STF were Borg and the occasional hourly event. Remember The Vault? Pug nightmare when you were trying to get the parts for the Reman set. Anyone who has played any length of time should by now have learned that this is the way of the game. Pretending it's not there doesn't fix it. Yelling at the monitor doesn't fix it. Hoping it stops doesn't fix it. The only way to fix it is to remove yourself from it. The only way to fix for others is to tell them how to remove themselves from it. That is, until Cryptic implements a way to stop most of it. It's unrealistic to think they can stop all of it.

There's many systems they can use. You must beat Normal X times before Advanced unlocks. You must beat Advanced X times before Elite unlocks. They can implement a rating system. If you don't score X rating and Y content requires X rating, you can't get into it. But they haven't done this and they won't do this. We can hope, but they won't.

So yes, you either have to deal with it or avoid it. That's the only options you have.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    There is a way to response to dvelepers ... http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

rate it , say how much you like it , make it bleed , hunt all other mmo sites , and rate it , maybe that will draw their atention , maybe
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    There is a way to response to dvelepers ... http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

rate it , say how much you like it , make it bleed , hunt all other mmo sites , and rate it , maybe that will draw their atention , maybe

That rating is already far down the list. :eek: LOL It's lower than Perfect World while APB and Champions is way higher. The only one with a decent showing is Neverwinter.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I disagree. PvPers in the past (when they had enough vocality pre-DR) and DPS folks are effectively the same thing. The main difference is what they do. PvPers...PvP. The DPS folks mostly do PvE.

The thing they did was use the mechanics of the game to their fullest extent.

PvPers would show how effective something would be when everything was done to improve it to it's maxinum level. DPs would show how something would be used to complete a mission even faster.

Besides, the whole 'PvPers got things nerfed' came from the fact that whenever an item, DOFF, whatever would appear the devs would 'listen' to PvPers only because they DID show how effective something could be.

But there was no consistency to it. They didn't really seem to listen to the ideas given, merely that 'it should be changed'. Even then, they only listened when they wanted to. 99% of stuff ever released was almost never changed.

PvPers would get blamed anytime something did, not because of the item changes (or so it felt to me) but because the 'fun' of an item was nerfed.

If PvPers ever really did have the devs' ears as so many have hyperbolically claimed over the years, this game would be much different.

Point is that all that stuff applies for how the DPS folks are treated sometimes. Doesn't matter what they might say, do, or show, because the devs will only listen to what they feel like listening to and changing. Which more and more is becoming less and less, if at all.
    Well, I'd say it's more about observing what people do and seeing how things come out in practice. The whole "actions speak louder than words" thing. One thing I can think of that was actually specific to PvP is the Elachi hay wire circuit. IIRC it was originally a 60% damage reduction, but that's kinda OP in PvP.
    hravik wrote: »
    I have to disagree with him as well. Some of the hardest, most rewarding raids / fights I've ever had in MMOs are in games that use the 'lame old' trinity.

Tribunal fight in EQ was friggin epic, and in no way 'coddling' casuals.

The thing that baffles me when people talk about how the trinity sucks and should be replaced, is that nobody has anything to replace it with. At least not that I've seen. The only 'answer' I've seen so far is a bunch of people doing as much damage as they can without dying.
    Play Dragon Quest 9, then tell me what you think about the "trinity". That game doesn't really use it except as a vague way to categorize class abilities. SOME classes are stuck with only doing one of the three, but not most. And that's kinda the way STO works. Each class has it's own abilities, but the classes as a whole aren't as simple as "DPS, tank, heal"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg