test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reflection on elitism, exploiting and DPS Leagues

Comments

• sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    ermaname wrote: »
    The thing that you seem to be overlooking is that to some people, well, this is just a game, to relax to, to have a bit of fun, not to stress themselves into an early grave learning how to be up to others standards nor to try to be the best of the best.

We haven't overlooked anything. Ryan has stated MULTIPLE times that people play the game for different reasons and that he doesn't have anything against that. So why do you come back and say that we are ignoring/overlooking that?
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lmao...

I'm sorry. I read through all of this, well most of it, and I have to say:
    If you think this is being elitist etc, then just hope they never tack on the typical gear-score bulls**t that always seems to follow mmos around. THEN you will see the tape measures come out and the zippers drop.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tankfox23 wrote: »
    So I got my 10k and 20k invites do I just send out a request for a queue?

If someone goes "LF4M - ISA - Bork", just go Bork to get an invite.
    If nobody's starting something, you can be the one to make one, and just throw it up there.
    ummax wrote: »
    I see so adding a commentary to the channel is objective and not insulting or belittling?
    Those are not the names of the channels.
  • rogerthomsonrogerthomson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You just reinforced every criticism about you really. The DPS channel crowd, is a bunch of elitist braggards that do nothing for this game or this community. Doing whatever DPS level you've achieved means nothing to anyone but you and your buddies and the few peeps that swing from your nuts.
    You guys are entertaining though and have provided me with many laughs as you proclaim your piloting skill and how gear and ships don't matter when in fact it's the opposite that's true. Gear and ships matter way too much in this game. News flash for you guys: skilled gamers don't play Star Trek Online. There off playing better more balanced games and most likely PvP at that.
    There is little to no skill needed to do well at any PvE content in this game. An understanding of game mechanics is not skill. Reading tool tips and min-maxing for DPS is not skill
    Captain Geko specifically said once in a pod-cast, that these items and mechanics are there for Min-Maxers to feel like special snowflakes when they put 2+2 together.
    Fact is, there is a lot of us that don't do high DPS because frankly we don't care to. That's not what this game is about for us and we don't care if you don't want to team with us or not and since you can't team kick people in this game then you can all stick to your little channels.

It's really funny how you guys complain about having to carry anyone through a mission. In other games (where there is real skill involved) being able to carry a team is a thing to be proud of and those that do carry teams and looked up to and respected. But you guys don't get that respect because of your elitist attitudes and never ending forum bragging.

No need te generalize. I find your post offensive.
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Normal Queues are for everyone. you can fly in with any ship and any build and you'll do fine.

-snip-

See my Basic DPS Guide: the path to 10k-15k

Interesting. I was taught to never put more than 6 into anything; cost-vs-boost sort of thing.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fine a have read your tekst and opinions. But can you now please be a bit more friendly and less hostile in your writings yourself? Is that possible?

maybe some of us would be less "hostile" if we weren't being insulted by players. There is a reason I dont join certain groups and channels. Its because I dont want to be associated with people who seem to somehow put themselves above others because they put together a ship that can attack with a certain dps number.

just ... dont group with pugs if you feel that you need to carry them because you are so much better then those people just group with each other and leave the rest of us alone. I wonder what you do when a person in a pug "out dps's you". Does that means they carried you? :eek:
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Yeesh. So much fail on both sides.

--- small vent ---

I've played with porchsong, and as players go ranks up high on my 'decent human being scale'.

Porch started the original DPS thread, sent me an invite (and I joined, bringing others with me) where I learned a lot about min/maxing my builds.

There was NEVER a negative comment from Porch. Always supportive. Always helpful.

I then took that knowledge and with help we became the 5th fleet (at least on the wiki list) to beat the NWS as a fleet. This was before the FAW sluttage.

About this time there was a reformation, and we all had to 'retest' to stay in the new dps channels. I tested 2x with groups that included RyanSTO. A Fed ship, non cruiser which could put out 13K consistently. Not massive - it's not my thing - but more than enough to be supportive.

Testing with 4 Scimidars was 'not productive'. Testing with the best, there wasn't anything left for me to hit. My DPS as tested was 2.6K/. Yay team.

So no invite.

What stood out for me was the public 'shaming' of having my score blasted in open channel. And the Jeers at 'how I should not have even asked to be tested'.

There are great people working with the DPS channels to help anyone who wants it. They are good people. But there is a visible core to the DPS channels which is Elitist. A$$hole exist everywhere. That's life. That's ok, I choose not to retest.

They've changed the rules a third time, further segregating a shrinking playerbase. Theres a third-party tool developed by another fan (I hear its great, but i won't install anything I can't verify or comes up as a security redflag for me).

More power to them.

--- OK, vent over ---

What I will say is that more changes to the game are coming. Are you frustrated over rollbacks to XP and dilithium?

Wait for the coming re-adjustment to the powers. It's already been talked about, and if you think for a moment it's not going to impact the obscenely high DPS (which the devs have said multiple times is clearly NOT what they intended), you are sorely mistaken.
    edited October 2014
    snip...

the channel names can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/kTRthms.jpg
  • ezriryanezriryan Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you wont read it, I will just ignore what ur saying ;D

,,Its almost depressing how far off some people are." <- actually refers to your responses right now, to the responses of the same kind on the Videos we post, and basically to everyone calling us out for not being okay with other ppl. dealing less damage... As i stated multiple times, I am okay with however much damage you deal. Go read poste one.

I can only assume that you are projecting from yourself. Because, if you would actually read it, from the top the the bottom, you might understand what i am trying to get at.
    Instead of spamming your destructive force of "let me copy this word here and there, pull this all out of context and... there it is)

Because the thing about how off people are continues with:

We never wanted that the game in general becomes overly difficult for the majority of people, we never asked for advanced (which was supposed to be the old elite) to be a 4 times increase. We asked for a new difficulty that would actually be challenging. These videos serve the purpose of showing, that the difficulty is not being increased by sliding the HP multiplier up. We, as well, never asked for the decrease in dilithium and neural processor gains from the STFs, Cryptic decided to do that on their own, and they can have all the credit for it.

READ IT or leave it...

,,It's really funny how you guys complain about having to carry anyone through a mission. In other games (where there is real skill involved) being able to carry a team is a thing to be proud of and those that do carry teams and looked up to and respected. But you guys don't get that respect because of your elitist attitudes and never ending forum bragging."

First off, we dont complain about having to carry anyone, if we do it, its for fun of the challenge usually.
    In others games I ranked 1 on DPS as well, thanks for asking. Have been raidleading for a while.

Why you guys dont respect what we are doing? Because you feel this game should be so easy that whatever you are doing should be working, because you don't run combatlog readers to see for yourselves that we are actually doing it. We don't ask for credits or thanks though. But its funny how every 2 Minute ISA video is getting jumped at as elitist because you didnt put any time or effort into it, to understand what is going on. This is probably 95% of the community, another 5% have a variety of reasons.

Honestly.. I am okay with your point of view, but I ask you to also accept that I am trying to improve.

,,It's a teamgame, if you deny your responsiblity towards the team, why should I feel in any way related to you? I am not getting paid to carry anyone through this."
    As in, I don't have to play with you, anymore than you have to play with me. Thats okay though.

You guys just look for keywords all over the place, try to rip them out of context.
    read it first.

If you don't care about my point of view, leave it be.
    I don't deny you the right of having one, but does your open-mindedness end, when it comes to mine?

best regards
    RyanSTO
    edited October 2014
    the channel names can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/kTRthms.jpg

I am talking about this post with his obvious belittling commentary truly if you want to help people you dont insult them while doing so. I dont really care what your screenshot says since we are discussing someones behaviour and how they word things to you know us "scrubs" :)
    edited October 2014
    ezriryan wrote: »
    ...sniip...

Why you guys dont respect what we are doing?

...snip...?

best regards
    RyanSTO

I was raised to respect those who earn it. And deserve it.

Those who brag about it, and disrespect those who cannot equal them deserve contempt.

Porch doesn't berate others. You do.

Yay. You're awesome with DPS and I do respect the achievement.

But as a player and human being I suspect you have a long way to go.
    edited October 2014
    maybe some of us would be less "hostile" if we weren't being insulted by players. There is a reason I dont join certain groups and channels. Its because I dont want to be associated with people who seem to somehow put themselves above others because they put together a ship that can attack with a certain dps number.

just ... dont group with pugs if you feel that you need to carry them because you are so much better then those people just group with each other and leave the rest of us alone. I wonder what you do when a person in a pug "out dps's you". Does that means they carried you? :eek:

Very generalizing text you wrote "Its because I dont want to be associated with people who ...". And it sounds like you put yourself above others. And no one is forcing you to associate yourself with anyone.

And sure there are people in game also in pugs who show what you discribe. Actualy while flying with people form the DPS channel I noticed far less of this behaviour, maybe because most people in those channels do decent DPS, or have good supporting roles.

Anyway no reason to act hostile, if others write things you don't like.
  • porchsongporchsong Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014

So your logic is: I won't join the channels b/c these guys don't want to "carry" others from queues? Anyone else here see the overwhelming hypocrisy here? We don't fly in the queues hence why we set up the channels--to avoid the queues. But you ACTIVELY avoid the channels b/c you don't want to associate? Pot calling the kettle black there. . . . You seem to be the one to flat out exclude a segment of the gaming community. We don't. We help anyone who asks--we don't exclude.

So, time to look in mirror and see the ugliness staring back at you.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Interesting. I was taught to never put more than 6 into anything; cost-vs-boost sort of thing.

It's a good general rule, since the returns decrease as you go up each color tier. However there are things where even with diminished returns, it's still worthwhile.

I like to reference this chart when I spec my characters.

So we can see the last three ranks of Warp Core Potential is probably not worth it, since that's 6000 skill points for around +0 Power. However the last three ranks of Maneuvers gives us an extra 3.2% Defense for 6000 skill points, so that's worth it.

The chart's probably a bit out of date, but it's certainly better than what little in-game information there is. :P
    edited October 2014
    I am talking about this post with his obvious belittling commentary truly if you want to help people you dont insult them while doing so. I dont really care what your screenshot says since we are discussing someones behaviour and how they word things to you know us "scrubs" :)

I suggest you re-read the following slowly, ii've bolded and underlined certain key parts:
    Personally, I have always been against the numbers behind the DPS-Channels names. But.. its the easiest way to tell apart to which part of the community you currently belong.
    The seggragation could also be called:

DPS- Casual (Called DPS-Public)
    DPS- Half ways trying (10k)
    DPS- Decent (20k)
    DPS - Try-Hard (30k)
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

It isn't about being the top. By the math of infected advanced, in order to kill the required enemies within the timer to avoid a failure of the mission, the team must do a minimum of 15k DPs average. Whether anyone tells you or not during a specific run, this is simply the math of the queue. this is fact not opinion, and it was the developers who set the NPc hit points.

If you or I do 10k, but the team won, then *someone* on the team "carried us". Simple as that because without someone else making up that extra 5k the run would have been a fail.

What Ryan, porch, and sarcasm are trying to do, is point the people who are doing less than that 15k to tools that will help them cross the line. Whether they could do it more diplomatically, well, I did recommend a PR person =)
    edited October 2014
    porchsong wrote: »
    So your logic is: I won't join the channels b/c these guys don't want to "carry" others from queues? Anyone else here see the overwhelming hypocrisy here? We don't fly in the queues hence why we set up the channels--to avoid the queues. But you ACTIVELY avoid the channels b/c you don't want to associate? Pot calling the kettle black there. . . . You seem to be the one to flat out exclude a segment of the gaming community. We don't. We help anyone who asks--we don't exclude.

So, time to look in mirror and see the ugliness staring back at you.

I see so you found that initial post okay and not condescending? I am sorry but if i was even considering it to get groups (which i was at one point) the desire to join evaporated when I read a post like the OP awhile back because I dont want to be in a group that according to the OP thinks I am a scrub and feels that they need to carry me or someone else.

I dont know you I see only a guy explaining something using all sorts of derogatory terms. People complain about public perception and cryptic for how they use terminology and then in many cases those same people turn around and do the same thing. Actually worse in this case.

Maybe if the other post and this one had not flown by I would have joined ... but.. well yeah no thanks you can thank the person who is posting and advertising in the OP for that.

As far as anyone on the 'outside' looking in is concerned since he is representing this group of people he obviously speaks for them and it appears that many support his words. I think from what I have seen my judgment is sound. I see no one apologizing for it just a bunch of people defending it.
    edited October 2014
    Yeesh. So much fail on both sides.

--- small vent ---

I've played with porchsong, and as players go ranks up high on my 'decent human being scale'.

Porch started the original DPS thread, sent me an invite (and I joined, bringing others with me) where I learned a lot about min/maxing my builds.

There was NEVER a negative comment from Porch. Always supportive. Always helpful.

I then took that knowledge and with help we became the 5th fleet (at least on the wiki list) to beat the NWS as a fleet. This was before the FAW sluttage.

About this time there was a reformation, and we all had to 'retest' to stay in the new dps channels. I tested 2x with groups that included RyanSTO. A Fed ship, non cruiser which could put out 13K consistently. Not massive - it's not my thing - but more than enough to be supportive.

Testing with 4 Scimidars was 'not productive'. Testing with the best, there wasn't anything left for me to hit. My DPS as tested was 2.6K/. Yay team.

So no invite.

What stood out for me was the public 'shaming' of having my score blasted in open channel. And the Jeers at 'how I should not have even asked to be tested'.

There are great people working with the DPS channels to help anyone who wants it. They are good people. But there is a visible core to the DPS channels which is Elitist. A$$hole exist everywhere. That's life. That's ok, I choose not to retest.

They've changed the rules a third time, further segregating a shrinking playerbase. Theres a third-party tool developed by another fan (I hear its great, but i won't install anything I can't verify or comes up as a security redflag for me).

More power to them.

--- OK, vent over ---

What I will say is that more changes to the game are coming. Are you frustrated over rollbacks to XP and dilithium?

Wait for the coming re-adjustment to the powers. It's already been talked about, and if you think for a moment it's not going to impact the obscenely high DPS (which the devs have said multiple times is clearly NOT what they intended), you are sorely mistaken.

I am sorry for your bad experience. Does it outweight all the good experiences? Can you forgive the people? I only can hope so :)
  • ermanameermaname Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The problem may be that you aren't writing these posts very well and they come off as arrogant and show a sense of self entitlement, you may not mean it to come across this way, but the wording seems to imply that if we don't play the way you want we should not be allowed to play certain content.

''DPS- Casual (Called DPS-Public)
    DPS- Decent (20k)
    DPS - Try-Hard (30k)''

Is just insulting, to some people doing 10k is hard, believe me I have fleet mates that almost quit as they cannot get their dps up and stuff like this just makes some people feel even worse (and yes, they have been shown, ironically, alot of info you guys have created, which helps, but some just cannot replicate what others find easy) Yes I saw that you justify this by saying you don't like the way this is, but you still described it in an unnecessarily condescending way).

''Every half ways good player can squeeze 10k+ out of basically every ship in the game. (Level 10 Rhode Island Sci ship for example.. So if you dont do that, you're either not applying yourself, and therefore intentionally waste everyones (including your own) time, or actually don't know whats going on.''

There are some people who play that have various health issues, some quite debilitating, this is their escapism, to belittle others without knowing their situations is beyond arrogant. Should they not be allowed to play?

The whole scrubs quote thing? Yes it is a quote of someone else, but it was chosen as you felt it was a good way of describing people that don't come up to scratch, just because someone else said it first, doesn't mean that your reusing it takes the sting out of what you are saying.

I have read every post in this thread, your intentions may be different but the way this comes across is not helpful, but more condescending.
    edited October 2014
    I see so you found that initial post okay and not condescending? I am sorry but if i was even considering it to get groups (which i was at one point) the desire to join evaporated when I read a post like the OP awhile back because I dont want to be in a group that according to the OP thinks I am a scrub and feels that they need to carry me or someone else.

I dont know you I see only a guy explaining something using all sorts of derogatory terms. People complain about public perception and cryptic for how they use terminology and then in many cases those same people turn around and do the same thing. Actually worse in this case.

Maybe if the other post and this one had not flown by I would have joined ... but.. well yeah no thanks you can thank the person who is posting and advertising in the OP for that.

As far as anyone on the 'outside' looking in is concerned since he is representing this group of people he obviously speaks for them and it appears that many support his words. I think from what I have seen my judgment is sound. I see no one apologizing for it just a bunch of people defending it.

I would like to understand, why you refuse to be friendly. What do you gain from being rude, generalizing and unfriendly?
  • trek801trek801 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ryan -

I enjoyed your video of ISA alot! I didn't realize their was a public dps channel dedicated to helping others increase their dps and thus improving their game. I plan on joining it if Cryptic gets their act together. If Cryptic continues, I am unsure if I will keep playing the game. At the moment, I'm pretty disheartened with the way Cryptic handled the skill point thing and labeling people "cheaters". I disagree with their methods and vehemently disagree it was an exploit. (I wasn't affected but many in my fleet were and are considering leaving the game. My fleet leader is a member of your 30k dps channel btw and he was affected as well.)

I'm appalled by the negative responses you've had and wanted you to know that I, for one, appreciate you taking the time to post information about dps, etc. Thank you very much and thank you for your willingness to help.

Sam
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    ''DPS- Casual (Called DPS-Public)
    DPS- Decent (20k)
    DPS - Try-Hard (30k)''

calling myself try-hard didnt really get across how serioulsy this was meant it would seem.

Basically its "names for channels" on the TS I actually suggested it to be called "devision I, II and III" but it has been agreed upon that that might not be clear enough.

I never said you could not improve if you tried. Or claimed anyone was playing BAD. I never judged over someone's playstyle.

There are some people who play that have various health issues, some quite debilitating, this is their escapism, to belittle others without knowing their situations is beyond arrogant. Should they not be allowed to play?

Let me quote the original post:
    We never wanted that the game in general becomes overly difficult for the majority of people, we never asked for advanced (which was supposed to be the old elite) to be a 4 times increase. We asked for a new difficulty that would actually be challenging. These videos serve the purpose of showing, that the difficulty is not being increased by sliding the HP multiplier up. We, as well, never asked for the decrease in dilithium and neural processor gains from the STFs, Cryptic decided to do that on their own, and they can have all the credit for it.
    [...]
    On another note, these videos may be used as a guideline, along with our guide videos where we explain how and why these builds work. But they do at no point force you to play anything like this. This is a suggestion and a practical display of how things can (!) be played, but not neccessarily have to be played. Therefore no one needs to feel vilified.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    From an outsiders perspective with no horse in the race - just sticking to the raw numbers for titles is best. Adding any words adds subjective meaning.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited October 2014
    I am sorry for your bad experience. Does it outweight all the good experiences? Can you forgive the people? I only can hope so :)

Forgiveness? Thats a whole other dynamic and conversation. What I will say is I don't hold a grudge because a few people acted inappropriately. My life would be devoid of human contacts if I did that, LOL.

At the end of the day - this is a game.

I was helped by the old channel, by too many to list here. And my game has improved immensely. Finishing NWS as a fleet team was the highlight although anything that followed that first win seemed 'easier'.

With the new gear and ships I had my KDF break 20K the other day. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.

Some people demand respect. Donald Trump for example. Justin Bieber. STORyan.

I don't knock their achievements. Just the bravado.

Tone it down and with humility you'll earn respect.
  • tankfox23tankfox23 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These guys may be elitist (if I did 70k dps I might be too), but they are not asking anyone to join. They purposefully placed themselves apart so the so called "scrubs", aka average joe, was left to their own devices in their pugs. I monitored the chat traffic on the channels and the only chat I saw was folks trying to help each other. Humans segregate themselves along common interests all the time (clubs, religion, party affiliation, etc). So even though some of what has been said might come off sounding elitist, the reality of the game now is that if you don't bring the dps you are ruining the instance for me, and others. I used to love running experiments, but that's for normal only now.

When I see parses and I do 66% of the dps I kind of feel like I carried the pug. Wouldn't anyone?

I blame cryptic for bringing the bags of hp and turning timed optionals into mandatory conditions. All this hate is directed towards the wrong people. At least these guys are willing to help. Until I started coming to the forums and analyzing sarcasmdetector's builds I had no clue how to build my ship properly. It doesn't help that skills have a major say on how much dps one will do and that's behind a pay wall. I had to respec twice until I got a set of skills that worked.

It doesn't help that the tooltips have very little or even erroneous information. Or the horrible builds that you are given (dyson build anyone?) that don't do anything to teach folks to build properly.

There's a lot wrong with this game a group of like minded individuals getting together to go through content in the most efficient way possible (high dps) in my opinion is not one of them. Especially since they are willing to share their knowledge and help others.
    edited October 2014
    for clarity reasons removed the quotes from other players
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I never judged over someone's playstyle.
    Its about people that apply themselves and people that dont f.ing care about gameplay
    Not judging anyone ? Really ? :D
    edited October 2014
    I am personally fully okay with someone saying he is playing the game for fun, and doesnt care about the dps.
    I dont find him to be worth less as a person or call him stupid for not caring. It is a game.
    A game I decided to play as good as I possibly can. Therefore we organize like-minded people in Channels and play in a (to us) fun environment.
    If you are trying to say that is wrong, then I just ask for the same amount of respect towards those that decided to put all the time and effort into this game.

Yes really.
    I understand that everyone has different things they care about.
  • potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh my look at all the butthurt scrubs.

Sucks to be called something you don't think you are doesn't it? Some of ya real fast to call people exploiters and laugh at them they attempt to defend themselves.

Please scrubbies keep posting. The irony is highly amusing.
    edited October 2014
    Amongst the top tier DPSers i am really the oddball of the bunch. Not only do i mainly play with my Fed toon (ie: not a scimitar), i also switch between different ships just for fun.

No one has ever rebuked or demeaned me for how i play... except for Mal, he hit me with about 30k FPS (Fagots per Second). Joking :D

The worst thing i've ever heard from those a2b FAW scimitards was the backhanded compliment: "You do amazing things with non-optimal ships".

TL DR: no one really cares how or why you play as long as you aren't hurting the team.
This discussion has been closed.