Install Arc
Options

DEVs nerfbat hit Tau Dewa

Comments

• Options
    xenogno5i5xenogno5i5 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Honestly, the whole Tau Dewa thing got people teaming with random players, moreso than their "Queue Revamps" by far. I was having a good time with people whom I normally wouldn't have. And I didn't even know about it until I was FINISHED with the content, after wondering what all the "LFG Japori" was about.

And that's after being completely underwhelmed by the new "content" added. I really have very little (if any) desire to repeat the level 50-60 leveling in the Delta Quadrant. I wasn't impressed with the missions, and nothing about any of it makes me want to repeat it.

The STFs are seriously not worth the time involved, and the whole expansion is pretty alt-unfriendly, IMO.

This is exactly what I came here to say: the team-ups in Tau Dewa were some of the best interactions I've had with other STO players. Way to ruin it, Cryptic.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey look, official statement.

It's exploitative behaviour of some kind.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1265971
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014
    It's interesting to contrast STO with Eve in this regard. In Eve, emergent behavior is celebrated, and they've got a thriving community, with devs going to pubs with players, throwing huge Icelandic parties, etc. In STO, emergent behavior is stifled, and there's an extremely hostile and adversarial relationship between the dev team and the player base.

STO's players frequently seem like victims of abuse, if you were to listen to them long enough. They don't seem like people having fun.

I know I'm not having fun since Kerrat ceased to exist for level 60 players, and restoring it clearly isn't as high a priority for Cryptic as deathstomping any attempt to circumvent the loathsome, mind-numbing grind this game's become as of late. A grind required to simply get back to where we were before it came along, mind you.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    grimlyonegrimlyone Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »

Grinding in the MMO is exploitative...:eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The beast at Tanagra.
    Kadir beneath Mo Moteh. Kiteo, his eyes closed. Chenza at court, the court of silence. Darmok on the ocean.
    Shaka, when the walls fell.
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Alright look.

Lets say they are nerfing it, for whatever reason. Are they gonna nerf everything?

they just released a major content expansion and no one is playing it because they are all in Japori. Has it occured to anyone that the patrol missions in the delta quadrant are just as effective as the ones in Tau Dewa? Has anyone tried? You can pick up chains of them from your episode tab, get a group and do it. Maybe the xp and drops will be even Better!

Imagine how lively the Delta Quadrant would be if all the people in Japiri were spread out across it in convoys, instead of all clustered around Japori in Tau Dewa.

How good would it look for them if they could show the gaming world a brand new zone full of people playing together in groups. It wouls almost look like a healthy MMO, and it might just attract enough attention to expand the playerbase.

I know you all want to hate, and spit your vitriolic bile at the devs, but if you try to think rationally for a moment you might realize that cryptic isnt out to pop your baloon.
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014

Ah, so that's how they'll justify the inevitable rollback - by accusing the player base of exploiting.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    grimlyone wrote: »
    Grinding in the MMO is exploitative...:eek:

nerfing the upgrade drops doesnt help them.

nerfing the exp makes players play to how the devs want them to.

you can decide which one is exploitive. lol which is neither anyway.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    This reminds of the tour the universe nerf that ruined the social aspects of that race as well.

Oh, you mean the thing that everyone was saying "DOOOOOM" over, and then was basically forgotten about after about a week or two by everyone but a select few?
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Oh hey, you're actually playing something that's been in the game for almost the past year and a half and not causing it to spit out numbers that it wasn't already supposed to? EXPLOIT!!!

Edit: But seriously, this is the kind of poor PR response that any company should really be trying to avoid. If there was actually any exploit involved, then why did it take them since last May to detect it? Nope, just have to make a vague statement accusing the players of wrongdoing instead of fessing up to any possible lack of foresight on the company's part.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    elric071 wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to blame the players....sorry if it came off that way :o

That was more pointed at the Dev's, kinda saying WTF!!! I only had one more system to get my marks for the day, ...

For Pete's sake, if you are looking for the Marks, then finish off with two Deep Space encounters. 15% for each. I sometimes run seven in a row to get the Daily done. They are quicker and work just like the system patrols. Keep going right back in.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    clcopelandclcopeland Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The only people to blame for this is Cryptic. Had they properly beta tested and listened to the feedback. Theyd have known people in general were going to avoid grinding in the Delta Quadrant if they could do it with less hassle elsewhere.

Theyre now incringing on other aspects of the game instead of fixing what is driving people to Tau Dewa.

+1 stated perfectly sir
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014

They couldn't even show their own face, so they used the Q account.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The thing I find most humorous about the announcement is that no Cryptic employee would have their name associated with that post. No one was willing to jump on that grenade. Instead, the company hides behind the anonymous "Q" account.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.

edit- wtf was that quoting about? oopsie
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.

Can I quote you on that? :D
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    They couldn't even show their own face, so they used the Q account.

The only person in the office at this hour was probably an intern just taking advantage of the free internet connection.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited October 2014

You sir hit the nail on the head.

Have a cookie !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The only person in the office at this hour was probably an intern just taking advantage of the free internet connection.

Meh, I see Smirk posting right now...so....yea...not..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Can I quote you on that? :D

You just did! :D
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Right after you finish mindscape you get a popup window that explains the exp in delta rising is no longer going to get you one level per mission and the patrol mission wrapper is there to guide you to the ones linked to story. It also recommends doing other patrols to keep leveling.

I don't particularly think it was a great idea, but yes it is intended.

And by intended we know they really mean "because we wanted to make less story missions! ´cause story missions are like a repellent to us over at Cryptic".
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wow this has gotten so bad I'm not even angry anymore, instead genuinely laughing aloud. This launch has gotten so stupid its moved into self-parody territory. Crashes and bug fixes would be an improvement. Just wow.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Meh, I see Smirk posting right now...so....yea...not..

I was trying to be funny. Apparently I failed *hangs head in shame*
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And by intended we know they really mean "because we wanted to make less story missions! ´cause story missions are like a repellent to us over at Cryptic".

and in their minds they are saying "DIE LITTLE ROLEPLAYERS DIE! MWHAHAHA"
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Wow this has gotten so bad I'm not even angry anymore, instead genuinely laughing aloud. This launch has gotten so stupid its moved into self-parody territory. Crashes and bug fixes would be an improvement. Just wow.

I was thinking the same thing. If I didn't know better (and I don't), Id say that they're genuinely trying to make people mad.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

well I just logged in and had a graphics glitch (probably my gpu being stupid) but on my screen my ship was literally a rainbow in space quite amusing :D
  • Options
    commanderkorcommanderkor Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    It's interesting to contrast STO with Eve in this regard. In Eve, emergent behavior is celebrated, and they've got a thriving community, with devs going to pubs with players, throwing huge Icelandic parties, etc. In STO, emergent behavior is stifled, and there's an extremely hostile and adversarial relationship between the dev team and the player base.

STO's players frequently seem like victims of abuse, if you were to listen to them long enough. They don't seem like people having fun.

I know I'm not having fun since Kerrat ceased to exist for level 60 players, and restoring it clearly isn't as high a priority for Cryptic as deathstomping any attempt to circumvent the loathsome, mind-numbing grind this game's become as of late. A grind required to simply get back to where we were before it came along, mind you.

In EVE that kind of adversarial relationship would not be tolerated. Those devs would be falling on their swords and looking for work period. Say what you will about EVE but at least those devs give the illusion of working for the players. The last time devs in EVE tried to get greedy with things like monocles a statue in Jita got shot at by a lot of players and the GM had to issue an apology. Here we get accused of using an exploit. What is that exploit you may ask? *gasp* trying to level faster using legal in game means so I dunno we can keep the story going without having to grind a bunch of nonsense. Instead of crpytic GM's sitting back and saying hey at least people are grouping together and playing the game, they see trying to level as efficiently as possible as an exploit. To me an exploit would be using a broken instance that is accidentally awarding far more XP then it should be and players are trying to power grind it before it is fixed. This is doing no more then using enhanced rewards from the new difficulty setting to maximize leveling. Just unbelievable.

Oh wait and another dumb question, if using tau dewa to power level is an exploit then what do you call double XP events for players to power level their toons to 50? Because its not in official cryptic sanctioned and directed activity? How about instead of creating artificial barriers to force people to play longer and inflate your numbers you release a product that people actually want to play for the same amount of time that's actually fun and not a grind. When a player is saying to himself "TRIBBLE I have to login to do my daily" you have failed...just saying.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was trying to be funny. Apparently I failed *hangs head in shame*

There is only doom and seriousness :D.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    and in their minds they are saying "DIE LITTLE ROLEPLAYERS DIE! MWHAHAHA"

And now I'm picturing D'angelo in his office, bashing plastic starships into each other as he says this. Then Smirk comes in to ask him about something....

"DID YOU SEE ANYTHING?!"

"No sir! I didn't see you playing with your dolls again!"
  • Options
    sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Oh, they must mean that leveling first then playing mediocre content later is EXPLOITATIVE?!?!
    These dudes are seriously delusional. Then by their logic, ALL ATTEMPTS AT LEVELING OUTSIDE DQ IS EXPLOITATIVE, UP TO AND INCLUDING ALL LEGITIMATE MISSIONS, PvE, AND STF'S

Explain the logic please. I will sit here and wait.
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG