test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why hasn't Cryptic revealed the ship upgrade Token cost?

Comments

• imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    teknesia wrote: »
    Meh, it's still zero real content. It's a statsheet upgrade. Sure, there's a lot of ships and a lot to take into consideration with upgrading them, but it's still a statsheet up grade.

Now, if they come out with some new costume options for you ship or maybe a t5u skin, that would be a little more conceivable as content. Not much content, but some.

I agree, some additional skins or costume details would have been nice, but the truth is T5U is only one mechanic of the entire expansion...

Though it undoubtedly would have resulted in a meltdown amongst certain aspects of the community, Cryptic were not obligated to provide the T5U option and a less scrupled developer may have just ignored T5 entirely...

As it is, the new content, baring the most difficult, is all entirely doable with a standard T5 ship... T5U/T6 just makes it easier and will go a long way toward doing the new revamped Elite modes...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    DAYS to REFINE 480,000 dil - 60 ( in other words 2 months )

It's called multiple toons....presently I have 8 so I refine 64000 dilithium a day.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    how the heck can you motivate yourself to cap 8 characters a day?
    how can you find the time to cap 8 a day?

even my most determined and devoid of fun farm route, takes about an hour to hit cap...

1.) I don't do it every day (in fact i forget most days)
    2.) I have like 50 daily dilithium mining claims on each toon so that cuts large swaths of time off
    3.) Voth BZ nuff said ;)
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    id sooner find out then add the this new doooommmm!!! thread :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    how the heck can you motivate yourself to cap 8 characters a day?
    how can you find the time to cap 8 a day?

even my most determined and devoid of fun farm route, takes about an hour to hit cap...
    Seriously. 20k a day is pushing my sanity as it is. I have no interest in grinding STO like it's *********.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    We are close to DR launch, and yet there is not a single news from Cryptic on the cost for these ship upgrade tokens. When will this important information be released?

I have a feeling you wont know that until they release DR.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    didn't they say the upgrade would cost between 500z to 1000z?

their exact words.>

quote:
    Q: How much Zen will it cost to upgrade my starship?

A: We have not finalized the cost, but it is likely to be somewhere between $5 and $10.
    end quote.

that's not a firm price set in stone by any standards.
    that reminds me of something a car mechanic said to me once.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    their exact words.>

quote:

A: We have not finalized the cost, but it is likely to be somewhere between $5 and $10.
    end quote.

No, but it's a good starting point for anyone stockpiling Refined Dilithium. Further mitigated for any suscribers with October's and possibly September's stipend still in the wings at the time the announcement was made.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I find even 500 too much just to make one ship competitive with the new content. So I'm just going to upgrade one ship only and play my dozens of other ships in old missions. Probably play less and spend less money than otherwise, but hey, that's all you gotta do if you think this scam is unacceptable.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seeing as its an account unlock and applies to both C-store and Fleet ships simultaneously, you will be getting a lot "more" for your zen, hence I think it will be more expensive than a FSM which is just a single ship char unlock. So closer to 1000 than 500.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Ok, so an arbitrary 8% figure to define the difference between T5U and T6 justifies a whole 50% drop in the cost difference? Hmmm, I have to disagree...

There is nothing to indicate that there is indeed any difference in performance between T5U and T6, as this 8% figure was derived purely from the difference in the number of Boff abilities... Where as T5U will generally have 1 more console slot (if using a T5.5) which, IMO, could potentially not only make them equal, but potentially better in many cases... You have to consider an extra Tac Console will add greater DPS than a single Lt Cmdr Engy ability, for example, in many, if not most cases...

You're also failing to consider that Fleet T6 will still require Fleet Modules, meaning (based on existing costs) another 500-2500zen (depending on whether you own the CStore T6 already)...

As a KDF player this entire post is just LOL funny. how many of ours will be getting this 5th tac console on upgrade? how many of ours even have a c store version to get a FSM discount?

LOL see what i mean . jeese
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    As a KDF player this entire post is just LOL funny. how many of ours will be getting this 5th tac console on upgrade? how many of ours even have a c store version to get a FSM discount?

LOL see what i mean . jeese

And what exactly was the point of this post?

Go back, reread my post, then stop and think about it, before you come out with inane nonsense such as this... You may also want to go back and reread the post I was initially responding to also...

Where did I say anything about a 5th Tac console? Where did I mention KDF Fleet Ships?

I was talking in general terms, you however, decided to put your own spin on what I said, taking it completely out of context...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    their exact words.>

quote:

end quote.

that reminds me of something a car mechanic said to me once.

Personally, I think 1,000 Zen is a bit too much. 500 feels more appropriate, and in line with respecs, Fleet modules, etc.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For new players this game is going to be expensive...
    Tier 1 to 4 cheap ships /free but tier 5 and 6 you need to buy 1.
    $25 + $30 ?? = $55 just to play the game..
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    For new players this game is going to be expensive...
    Tier 1 to 4 cheap ships /free but tier 5 and 6 you need to buy 1.
    $25 + $30 ?? = $55 just to play the game..

Free to play means only this: you are not charged for the ability to play the game.

What services thy offer you for free inside the game is a different thing all together.

Oh yes, shelling out 25 (or less on sales, or with dilithium to zen contribution) dollar for a ship is expensive, that's basically a whole game or two on steam or desura (even tripple a, if you are willing to wait a bit).
    Add to that perhaps the fleet upgrade (although this can be grinded for somewhat quickly nowadays) and you are at 30.
    Add another 5-10 for the t5U....

indeed, although the t5u and initial c-store unlock unlock for a whole account, one could make the argument that paying this much money for one ship is extreme.

Or.. one could not. Because either you are willing to spend money on the game you play or you do not. 50-60 dollar for the newest CoD/Bf/FIFA/whateveryearly which is literally just the old one in slightly less used feathers... is no different than making an educated choice about what shiop to buy i nsto.

Heck, EA and Activision sure as fck do not let you trade in time spend playing the game (grinding) for anything of value.

So yeah, this whole debate is really starting to seem like a massive scroogefest...

You do not need to upgrade everything you have, just upgrade the stuff you really use. And be sure that the upgrade is actually worth the effort. Even then, all the upgrade costs can be covered by grinding....

Cryptics sets high price points, that is correct. However they also allow you several viable ways to get what you want without YOU having to foot the bill.

Yes, someone else bought zen and sold it for dili, dili he deemed needed. So he was not shafted, you are not shafted and cryptic, being the bookie, is also not shafted.

So, this is a symbiotic relationship in which no participant gets shafted.

All it requires from the scrooge is patience or at the very least economic use of their game time (aka get some alts going to grind for dill..)...
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    IMO, a ship upgrade cost should be no more than the half of the initial cost when you bought it as a T5. A 20 Zen ship to upgrade for 10 Zen, a 25 Zen ship to T5U for 125 Zen, and so on.

What would make this a moneysink biznatch will be that I think upgrades will have to be used per individual ship (yes, I know that all toons will be able to use the same type of ship throughout the account). Anyone who bought a Galaxy or DSD 3-pack is gonna be p*ssed cuz they'll now have to T5U all 3 ships individually.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    IMO, a ship upgrade cost should be no more than the half of the initial cost when you bought it as a T5. A 20 Zen ship to upgrade for 10 Zen, a 25 Zen ship to T5U for 125 Zen, and so on.

What would make this a moneysink biznatch will be that I think upgrades will have to be used per individual ship (yes, I know that all toons will be able to use the same type of ship throughout the account). Anyone who bought a Galaxy or DSD 3-pack is gonna be p*ssed cuz they'll now have to T5U all 3 ships individually.

skins are interchangeable, specialconsoles are too, and one of the 3 ships is always superior to the other 2... so why would you upgrade all three?!
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do people use all three ships?
    I've bought the Andorian and Vesta three packs and only use one of each
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wonder whether the c-store will be the only source for upgrade tokens or not. I know they will be tradeable and thus will be put on the exchange. But maybe there will be other ways of getting some. We could get upgrade tokens as big prize out of the next lockbox or - just like fleet ship modules - out of delta quadrant duty officer packs. This possibility would not influence the Zen price of upgrade tokens, but might lower the EC price on the exchange. (Because many players will open the new lockboxes anyway).
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Do people use all three ships?
    I've bought the Andorian and Vesta three packs and only use one of each

I use the khyzon and charal, mostly the charal. I use all 3 vestas for different reasons. Tac version for pve, science version for pve/pvp mega gravity well, and the eng version for pvp because of all the shield penetration going on.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The most probable reason is that it's going to be way overpriced for what amounts to a copy-paste database entry -- Cryptic's business ethics haven't exactly been sterling since PWE bought 'em.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    The most probable reason is that it's going to be way overpriced for what amounts to a copy-paste database entry -- Cryptic's business ethics haven't exactly been sterling since PWE bought 'em.

lot more than copy-paste man. they created a whole new ship for each upgrade with new stats, traits, and consoles. It's been said a lot by the devs that's it's not just copy-paste.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1247071
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    725 Bob.

/10char
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It will most likely be 500Zen for an upgrade, just like getting a Fleet token.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Then why buy the 3 pack if you're only ever going to use one of them? :P

Because it is a good "deal". Just like buying Dilithium Rising pack, you get all those ships at a great price . . . :D
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    If you gotta ask how much it is, then you can't afford it.
    Can you demonstrate this claim? Or are you just blindly assuming it based on what you want reality to be like?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Then why buy the 3 pack if you're only ever going to use one of them? :P

Consoles and ship pieces. I could either have one c-store DSD that's as ugly as hell (in the original ship's spec) or for 2500 more zen 3x the customization options (to fix the asethetic problems) and with more equipment to chose from to boot.

On multiple toons I've dabbled with using different choices form a 3 ship pack but almost invariably I settle on one that best lines up with my view of what works best (in itself.) However you can still get a lot of use on the other bits and bobs the bundle contains, enough most often to still justify the price.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    Upgrade tokens should have the same cost regardless. (Also, upgrading the fleet version of a ship will upgrade the regular version (where applicable) for free.)

stf65 wrote: »
    it's 500 to 1000 zen, don't know yet. when you upgrade a ship it's upgrade account wide. so if you upgrade a fleet defiant on character a it's upgraded on character b too if he has a fleet defiant.

the tokens will also be like fleet modules and can be sold/bought on the exchange.

Had to let these two posts marinate in the noodle for a spell.

A token purchased to upgrade a fleet Kamarag on one toon would also upgrade a non-fleet T5 Kamarag on a different toon ?

1+1= 'sounds too good to be true'
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Had to let these two posts marinate in the noodle for a spell.

A token purchased to upgrade a fleet Kamarag on one toon would also upgrade a non-fleet T5 Kamarag on a different toon ?

1+1= 'sounds too good to be true'
    Account-wide has been known since the Blog. The standard/Fleet information was in the Tribble Patch Notes from the 3rd.
    Upgrading a ship which has a fleet version will upgrade the fleet version for free.
    Also, upgrading a fleet ship will upgrade its standard version for free.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Can you demonstrate this claim? Or are you just blindly assuming it based on what you want reality to be like?

It's an expression commonly attributed to J. P. Morgan.
    The well-known quote, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is commonly attributed to Morgan in response to a question about the cost of maintaining a yacht, although the accuracy of the story is unconfirmed.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.