test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why hasn't Cryptic revealed the ship upgrade Token cost?

Comments

• Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    it's 500 to 1000 zen, don't know yet. when you upgrade a ship it's upgrade account wide. so if you upgrade a fleet defiant on character a it's upgraded on character b too if he has a fleet defiant.

the tokens will also be like fleet modules and can be sold/bought on the exchange.

I'm betting on a 10 dollar price tag on those upgrade tokens, it's a sure bet.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    Well for sure it will be 10 dollars, just from the simple fact they removed the 5 dollar option altogether should at least bring up some RED FLAGS, that and the fact that they have yet revealed the cost soo late in the game.
    the 5 buck option was removed 8 months ago. it has nothign to do with the token prices; especially since people can grind 500 zen in 9-10 days.
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's not a dark conspiracy in the least - it's simply how it will look on the books when doing the financials. Don't get all peevey just because that's beyond your understanding.

Not peevey, just pointing out that Cryptic still makes money from dil/ZEN conversions (which will be happening at DR's launch due to people wanting to upgrade to Mk XIV/Epic). No need to be condescending.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the 5 buck option was removed 8 months ago. it has nothign to do with the token prices; especially since people can grind 500 zen in 9-10 days.

Never said it did, however; does not mean that they are not gearing up and getting rdy to price it at 10 dollars.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    I speculated about this in detail in other posts. Here's my train of thought.

Cryptic has rarely dropped prices on the previous generation of ships after a new ship is released, and certainly not at the same time of a new release.

Incremental purchases of $5 have been removed form the store, with $10 being the smallest option.

The T6 Ships are likely then to be equal to, or higher than existing models. My guess is that new ships will start at 3000 Z and top out at 4000 Z.

Upgrades will cost 1000
    Z.

- OR -

Cryptic will maintain new ship prices at 2500 Z, drop existing prices by 500 Z, and give us upgrades at 250 Z each (when bought 5 at a time), 300 Z for singles.

*cough* *cough* *horsehockey*
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm betting on a 10 dollar price tag on those upgrade tokens, it's a sure bet.

Have you stopped to consider it may be something like this :
    • 500zen for 1 token
    • 1000zen for 3 tokens

It would make sense... T5 CStore ships are generally 2500zen, my suspicion is that T6 will be 3000zen, meaning 500zen for T5U makes up the difference...

Same with T5 ship packs, 5000zen for 3 ships (7500zen if purchased individually)... My suspicion is that T6 3 packs will be 6000zen (9000zen if purchased individually), meaning 1000zen would be the T5U balance to allow all 3 ships to be upgraded...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm expecting them to cost 1000 zen each, because upgrading a normal ship or it's fleet version will now upgrade the other as well. Or they might sell them in bundles of three for 1000 zen.

T6 ships will probably be 3000 zen.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    No need to be condescending.

No need to be pointing to imaginary tinfoil hats, eh? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I speculated about this in detail in other posts. Here's my train of thought.

Cryptic has rarely dropped prices on the previous generation of ships after a new ship is released, and certainly not at the same time of a new release.

Incremental purchases of $5 have been removed form the store, with $10 being the smallest option.

The T6 Ships are likely then to be equal to, or higher than existing models. My guess is that new ships will start at 3000 Z and top out at 4000 Z.

Upgrades will cost 1000
    Z.

- OR -

Cryptic will maintain new ship prices at 2500 Z, drop existing prices by 500 Z, and give us upgrades at 250 Z each (when bought 5 at a time), 300 Z for singles.

*cough* *cough* *horsehockey*

Have to admit, you make alot of sense. I agree with your view on this entire matter - Money is the game as it always have, but this time it is a bit different as Cryptic is heading into a whole different direction in their business dealings. I am wondering if games like Neverwinters etc... are setting up as well in their own way.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No need to be pointing to imaginary tinfoil hats, eh? ;)

...ffffair enough.

I guess I tend to see things that aren't there myself, sometimes. :) Apologies.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Never said it did, however; does not mean that they are not gearing up and getting rdy to price it at 10 dollars.
    the change was probably made because transaction fees on 5 buck purchases were costing them money. payers don't realize it but the banks and services like skrill take a cut before the company gets the money. so if the bank gets 50 cents and skill gets 25 cents pw is losing 75 cents on every 5 bucks. many companies have raised their cc minimums because of those transaction fees.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    • 500zen for 1 token
    • 1000zen for 3 tokens

It would make sense... T5 CStore ships are generally 2500zen, my suspicion is that T6 will be 3000zen, meaning 500zen for T5U makes up the difference...

Same with T5 ship packs, 5000zen for 3 ships (7500zen if purchased individually)... My suspicion is that T6 3 packs will be 6000zen (9000zen if purchased individually), meaning 1000zen would be the T5U balance to allow all 3 ships to be upgraded...

I didn't think of that. Great idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    • 500zen for 1 token
    • 1000zen for 3 tokens

That is a possibility, I never considered the bundle package.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the change was probably made because transaction fees on 5 buck purchases were costing them money. payers don't realize it but the banks and services like skrill take a cut before the company gets the money. so if the bank gets 50 cents and skill gets 25 cents pw is losing 75 cents on every 5 bucks. many companies have raised their cc minimums because of those transaction fees.

This is true... It's now common place around where I live that card transactions have a minimum of $10, many shops even require a minimum of $20 now...

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    $5 seems a better choice just because that makes it an impulse buy, a cup of coffee or fast food for lunch. $10 makes it more significant just psychologically so, since people can hit Steam and pick up a lot of other games for that price. Plus since its an upgrade of a ship that already cost $20-$25 and they want to keep those T5 ships selling, wouldn't want to alienate the customer base. Greedy sure, but not stupid. A $5 price tag will sell far more upgrades than a $10 tag.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    A $5 price tag will sell far more upgrades than a $10 tag.

For all our sakes, I hope they see it your way!
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that there would not be other ship bundles outside of the Delta Rising one
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that there would not be other ship bundles outside of the Delta Rising one

Which relates to this thread how ? :P
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    If you gotta ask how much it is, then you can't afford it.

It's a legitimate question irregardless of whether he can afford it or not. The communication department of Cryptic has been quite remiss in putting out blogs in a timely fashion and the announcement of the specifics of T5U upgrades came much too late. People should be given time to prepare and it's an issue that the player base has a right to debate considering how much investment we're talking about for players with multiple characters and ships.

Additionally, there is no real justification for the delay in disseminating this important info other than the developers fearing a serious backlash from the player base for what many consider to be triple dipping. Cryptic does have a right to charge us for new content but those charges should be reasonable and shouldn't remain a secret until the last minute.

Unfortunately, it seems the developers no longer respect the opinions of the player base on the need for more transparency about major changes to game play and the cost structure. I believe Taco said something like we're devs so just deal with it because your input no longer really matters (paraphrased of course).
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    For all our sakes, I hope they see it your way!

Most likely it will be at a 10 dollar range, but in case I am wrong, pricing could be at 550 and "NOT" at 500 on the spot.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Which relates to this thread how ? :P

Imruined was talking about T6 ship packs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    It's a legitimate question irregardless of whether he can afford it or not. The communication department of Cryptic has been quite remiss in putting out blogs in a timely fashion and the announcement of the specifics of T5U upgrades came much too late. People should be given time to prepare and it's an issue that the player base has a right to debate considering how much investment we're talking about for players with multiple characters and ships.
    came much too late? you kidding? the t5u blog was weeks ago. exactly how much time does someone need?

just checked, the blog came out on 8/27, so we're talking 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think it will cost 500 and it's unlikely it will cost as much as 1'000 zen. Maybe something in between. 750 Zen. High enough for Crypic to make a decent profit and low enough for players not to rage quit for good.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    • 500zen for 1 token
    • 1000zen for 3 tokens

That makes the most sense. Hope you're on the mark there.

If it costs $10 to upgrade a ship, I'd probably upgrade my Vesta and leave everything else hanging. That would not only discourage me from buying upgrades, but would probably affect my willingness to buy any more T5 ships.

At $5 an upgrade, I'm more likely to upgrade more of my ships. And at 3 for $10, I'd be a lot more willing to do it.

I'd be really surprised and dismayed if they set the price of T6 ships at $35-$40 per ship. $30 per ship is high enough.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    That makes the most sense. Hope you're on the mark there.

If it costs $10 to upgrade a ship, I'd probably upgrade my Vesta and leave everything else hanging. That would not only discourage me from buying upgrades, but would probably affect my willingness to buy any more T5 ships.

At $5 an upgrade, I'm more likely to upgrade more of my ships. And at 3 for $10, I'd be a lot more willing to do it.

I'd be really surprised and dismayed if they set the price of T6 ships at $35-$40 per ship. $30 per ship is high enough.

I agree the $5 a pop is reasonable. I hope it turns out that way. $30 for a ship is ridiculous, agreed.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why even make a thread about it? You know your gonna upgrade your fav. ship. It wouldn't matter if it was 5000-10000 zen. Your gonna do it and DON'T LIE and say you won't. So when Deltas released just buy your token(s) and STFU.

P.S. Hope I didn't come off to strong. Didn't mean to if I did. Hope you have fun playing delta.
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If Cryptic were ethical, it would be a token $2.50 given that the upgrade was intentionally designed to be subpar by at least 8% and will be made further obsolete once Fleet T6 is released.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    came much too late? you kidding? the t5u blog was weeks ago. exactly how much time does someone need?

just checked, the blog came out on 8/27, so we're talking 6 weeks ago.

It takes months to save up enough dilithium to buy just one ship if you don't have a lot of time to grind and have a lot of obligations. How much time do you think it would take to grind for one $35 t6 ship?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Why even make a thread about it? You know your gonna upgrade your fav. ship.

True but a knowledge gap equals questions asked.

Its still odd to make a thread about it though. We know we'll have that information at hand at the critical moment when we upgrade our ships. Knowing in advance how much that'll cost would be nice (see. planning) but its not essential nor, for that reason, does it require the special effort of prodding the devs. Same with T6 pricing. Until Oct 14th its not especially bad that we don't know, so whatever their reason for not sharing that info is good enough to justify their silence.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    If Cryptic were ethical, it would be a token $2.50 given that the upgrade was intentionally designed to be subpar by at least 8% and will be made further obsolete once Fleet T6 is released.

Ok, so an arbitrary 8% figure to define the difference between T5U and T6 justifies a whole 50% drop in the cost difference? Hmmm, I have to disagree...

There is nothing to indicate that there is indeed any difference in performance between T5U and T6, as this 8% figure was derived purely from the difference in the number of Boff abilities... Where as T5U will generally have 1 more console slot (if using a T5.5) which, IMO, could potentially not only make them equal, but potentially better in many cases... You have to consider an extra Tac Console will add greater DPS than a single Lt Cmdr Engy ability, for example, in many, if not most cases...

You're also failing to consider that Fleet T6 will still require Fleet Modules, meaning (based on existing costs) another 500-2500zen (depending on whether you own the CStore T6 already)...