test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why hasn't Cryptic revealed the ship upgrade Token cost?

Comments

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Plan on it being 1000Z and if less then be happy about it.

They just made it so if you own both the Z-Store and Fleet version you only need to upgrade once to unlock both ships... sounds more like that'll justify it being more than 500 don't ya think?

I honestly dont think it'll cost 500Z
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    True but knowledge gap equals questions asks. Its still odd to make a thread about it though. We know we'll have that information at hand at the critical moment when we upgrade our ships. Knowing in advance how much that'll cost would be nice (see. planning) but its not essential nor, for that reason, does it require the special effort of prodding the devs. Same with T6 pricing. Until Oct 14th its not especially bad that we don't know.

I love how Cryptic apologists justify Cryptic's business decisions by claiming it's their right to to make a living and charging whatever but when Cryptics players are likened to investors investing in a product and having a right to know where their money is going all of a sudden the business mentality is more legitimate than the consumers' need for better information. Funny how that works out isn't it?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    It takes months to save up enough dilithium to buy just one ship if you don't have a lot of time to grind and have a lot of obligations. How much time do you think it would take to grind for one $35 t6 ship?

~1 hr in the Dyson battlezone - 8k dilithium.

3000 zen T6 ship (much more reasonable expectation than 3500) at current dil exchange rate - 480,000 dil.

Hours to aquire 480,000 dil - 60

If you have the alternative of working spending money is the "cheaper" option in STO but if you just save what dilithium you get from normal gameplay its not that bad (especially if you have some amount of impulse control and can save over long periods of time).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I love how Cryptic apologists justify Cryptic's business decisions by claiming it's their right to to make a living and charging whatever but when Cryptics players are likened to investors investing in a product and having a right to know where their money is going all of a sudden the business mentality is more legitimate than the consumers' need for better information. Funny how that works out isn't it?

I love how habitual whiners like to push their agenda regarldess of the discussion happening around them.

If you need a soap box to spit from please don't try to use my post which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING YOU RESPONDED WITH.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014

We are not investors... We are subscribers... We do not have a vested interest in Cryptic's financials, nor do we receive any form of dividend or own assets within the company...

The money we have paid to Cryptic is for a service, which they provide...

Besides, who said anything likening the playerbase to investors?

Some habitual Cryptic Haters really do like to make up their arguments out of nowhere...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ~1 hr in the Dyson battlezone - 8k dilithium.

3000 zen T6 ship (much more reasonable expectation than 3500) at current dil exchange rate - 480,000 dil.

Hours to aquire 480,000 dil - 60

If you have the alternative of working spending money is the "cheaper" option in STO but if you just save what dilithium you get from normal gameplay its not that bad (especially if you have some amount of impulse control and can save over long periods of time).

DAYS to REFINE 480,000 dil - 60 ( in other words 2 months )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    DAYS to REFINE 480,000 dil - 60

So, 2 months to get a free ship... That's pretty damn'd reasonable to me...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    DAYS to REFINE 480,000 dil - 60 ( in other words 2 months )

And a minimum of 60 hours of gameplay (which is more important thing to consider. You can fill two months with a lot of stuff and to reasonably buy a new ship through in-game means it had better not be all STO.)

Your point (if you had one)?
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Why even make a thread about it? You know your gonna upgrade your fav. ship. It wouldn't matter if it was 5000-10000 zen. Your gonna do it and DON'T LIE and say you won't. So when Deltas released just buy your token(s) and STFU.

P.S. Hope I didn't come off to strong. Didn't mean to if I did. Hope you have fun playing delta.

hahah, I like this guy. "Just buy and stfu!!!1" hilarious

I am not going to spend 1 dil on rebuying gear I already bought.
    T5u-upgrading-crafting is all recycled, copy-paste notepad with zero new content.

I will happily take that bet, fraps my account and everything on it, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, 10 years from now.
    Paying for stuff I already bought that could never happen. But what about fleet ships!!11

Well guess what sherlock I never re-bought any of those either so suck on that.

Anyway that other guy might be a whale so what, does that disqualify him from wanting to know
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    hahah, I like this guy. "Just buy and stfu!!!1" hilarious

I am not going to spend 1 dil on rebuying gear I already bought.
    T5u-upgrading-crafting is all recycled, copy-paste notepad with zero new content.

I will happily take that bet, fraps my account and everything on it, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, 10 years from now.
    Paying for stuff I already bought that could never happen. But what about fleet ships!!11

Well guess what sherlock I never re-bought any of those either so suck on that.

Anyway that other guy might be a whale so what, does that disqualify him from wanting to know

Except an entire FREE expansion which you, as always, ever so conveniently choose to overlook, whilst focusing on minutiae to satisfy your typical hyperbolic trolling...

A single system/mechanic, does not make for an entire expansion, yet in your mind anyway, apparently it does...

• Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm getting more worried the closer and closer we get and still no word. My concern its a totally unreasonable price and they just want to wait until practical launch to reveal it.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    We are close to DR launch, and yet there is not a single news from Cryptic on the cost for these ship upgrade tokens. When will this important information be released?

Because they probably have extra support staff only for the launch date, and they figure they'll deal with the 'outrage' then. (And no matter what the cost, there will be outrage.):D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I'm getting more worried the closer and closer we get and still no word. My concern its a totally unreasonable price and they just want to wait until practical launch to reveal it.

Ding ding ding! WINNAR!
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Reading through this thread I think a few things.
    1) I agree that it is frustrating not knowing the costing factor this close to the launch date. I like/need to plan ahead with finances, especially luxury spending on games etc.
    2 You can still buy dilithium in the smaller increments, you can still buy your Zen via the old website with the old system if you know how, trust me, I do it every time I buy zen with paysafe vouchers in the U.K.
    3)They have not said anything yet beyond 500-1000 Zen per upgrade. Nothing more, nada, so any speculation beyond that point is false.
    4)Some people really will just hate on this game whatever the discussion. I mean seriously why play if you hate it so much?
    5)Im no "whale" by any means, but I spend what I can when I can and I think a 500 Zen upgrade cost with perhaps a bundle option would be the most appealing option of course, but referring to point 3, we simply do not know at this point.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It takes months to save up enough dilithium to buy just one ship if you don't have a lot of time to grind and have a lot of obligations. How much time do you think it would take to grind for one $35 t6 ship?
    to begin with, we were talking about t5u tokens not t6 ships. this whole thread is about t5u tokens.

we've known a new expansion was coming since december. we've know a level cap increase was coming sometime around season 9 since late 2012. we can go all the back to july as far as knowing it was in fact a level cap increase. i'm sorry but if 3+ months isn't enough time that's on you, not the company.

and the whole point of grinding is to get the items for free. it's not to guarantee you'll get them quickly by grinding.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I will happily take that bet...
    How about you take this bet: I bet you'll play the new missions. What new missions? Oh that's right... New Content.

Also, let's not forget, you've already been educated about the fact that upgrading ships is more than just Copy/Paste, too.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The real question is if the tokens will be tradeable inventory objects like FSMs. And I'm betting they won't be.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    what's to worry about? they've already told us it's between 500 and 1000 zen. plan on 1000 and hope for it being some number below that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The real question is if the tokens will be tradeable inventory objects like FSMs. And I'm betting they won't be.

I can recall (can't remember where exactly, though I believe an interview with Gecko) that it has been said they will indeed be tradeable, like FSM's...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    they've already said they would be; as was pointed out in this thread and many other places.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I just choked on my beer litterly still coughing hahah "you've been educated!!!1"

But in all seriousness, t5u-upgrading-crafting doesn't have 1 single animation and is all changing numbers around in notepad - copy paste or manual, either which way it requires the least amount possible effort.

To the point a developer straight up said "it might seem like copy-paste+1 work", he straight up called it copy-paste with no leading questions or interpretation.

It's a certifed, patented, fact - from a developer.

More than that I find it even more hilarious you developer apologists just cant handle that.

So what if they recycle content, why does that bother you so much sitting there hammering your keyboard

If you are happy with everything what do you care? Do you even know yourself or should I explain that to you aswell?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    To the point a developer straight up said "it might seem like copy-paste+1 work", he straight up called it copy-paste with no leading questions or interpretation.
    it's amazing that you quoted half of what he said but conviently left out the rest of the sentence that disproves your entire point; where he says that, in fact it wasn't copy and past and that each of the 130 ships needed to be remade individually to function with t5u.

it's about what i expected from you, though. at least you got to say 'animations' today.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just choked on my beer litterly still coughing hahah "you've been educated!!!1"

But in all seriousness, t5u-upgrading-crafting doesn't have 1 single animation and is all changing numbers around in notepad - copy paste or manual, either which way it requires the least amount possible effort.

More than that I find it even more hilarious you developer apologists just cant handle that.

So what if they recycle content, why does that bother you so much sitting there hammering your keyboard

If you are happy with everything what do you care? Do you even know yourself or should I explain that to you aswell?

Continue with what he said...don't just cut the part that "proves" your point of view...post the full comment the Dev made.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    it's amazing that you quoted half of what he said but conviently left out the rest of the sentence that disproves your entire point; where he says that, in fact it wasn't copy and past and that each of the 130 ships needed to be remade individually to function with t5u.

it's about what i expected from you, though. at least you got to say 'animations' today.

I thought I was the only one
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Why is it you can't handle them doing copy-paste work though?
    What does it matter they copy-paste crafting-upgrading-t5u with zero new animations?

If you happy paying for some numbers swapped around in notepad, then what exactly are you arguing?

The game is perfect, right? You love the game and you have no complaints?

So why you here upset and complaining?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What does it matter they copy-paste crafting-upgrading-t5u with zero new animations?

If you happy paying for some numbers swapped around in notepad, then what exactly are you arguing?

Because that's not what the dev said and you are misrepresenting his words.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

we're not talking about how much we love/hate the game or if it's perfect or not. we're talking about you intentionally lying to make your constant negative posts. those 2 things have nothing to do with each other.

there's enough in the game to dislike without needing to lie and say things that were never said by any dev.

but hey, you got to say 'animations' twice in a row now. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I see you've dropped the 'zero new content' argument...

But seriously, enough with the unsubstantiated contrivances... Please explain how recreating over 100 ships to function with Ship Mastery is as easy as copy and paste in notepad... You'll need more than half a sentence, which you lifted from an entire interview, and have taken out of context to support your statements, to prove this...

You're always demanding that everyone else supply evidence for their statements, perhaps it's time you actually did so yourself...

Or are you going to prove me right.... You're a troll...

• Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm leaning toward it being last minute, so that folks won't have thought to save for them so they'll end up spending cash for Zen instead of having converted Dil to Zen...

I'm taking no chances. I'm only after 1 T6 ship possibly for my main and I'll just T5U my alts. So far I've generated 5K Zen and hope to have about 160K extra refined Dil on hand for a few gear upgrades where/if necessary.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh, it's still zero real content. It's a statsheet upgrade. Sure, there's a lot of ships and a lot to take into consideration with upgrading them, but it's still a statsheet up grade.

Now, if they come out with some new costume options for you ship or maybe a t5u skin, that would be a little more conceivable as content. Not much content, but some.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg