What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Rising: Operations Pack

Comments

• spaceshipfoodfspaceshipfoodf Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    - or -

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to continue playing the game anyway. Whereas if you want to, say, play Mass Effect without bothering with any of the DLC, it's still going to cost you per game. (I bought them new, so wound up paying circa $40 per - worth it in my opinion, but without any DLC, I'd be looking at a total of about $120 for several days' worth of gameplay - far less than I've gotten out of STO for free.)

I'll be playing Delta Rising for free, too. I don't see why all the whinging. You don't think it's worth $125 US for the ships and whatnot? Don't pay it - I won't. Where's the issue?

The issue is that we want it all for free without having to work for it.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Will this pack be released on STEAM, or am I only able to purchase this pack through STO/ARC?

Based on what they did with the Dragonborn pack over on Neverwinter, yes (and for Zen, too), but Cryptic won't say anything about it at all until the day of release when they suddenly become available. Oh, and the 'sale' will be a lie and all evidence of it being on sale will suddenly vanish (and it'll just cost the same it does now).

Also, for those of you who keep thinking of the 'worth' of the pack, it's all about simple math.

8 ships (4 Fed, 2 KDF, 2 Rom): $25 or $30 each when they show up in the Zen store the day DR goes Live.

At $25, that's $200. At $30, that's $240.

So do you play all three sides? Then it's totally worth it.

If you don't? Wait for DA to launch.

That said, Cryptic planned this out well. Why? The new T6 ships have a level/rank on them. When maxed out at level 5 (which only T6 ships can do), you unlock a Trait that you can slot into your player which works on all ships you fly.

You get 4 slots. Cryptic is releasing 4 Federation ships (the most popular 'side').

So...if you're a Fed player, to be the 'strongest' you can, you'll want all four ships. So it's worth getting the pack just for that.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Totally different scenarios buddy.
    not different at all. if people like a game, or its potential, they're willing tp spend money. its all the haters who can't let go that won't accept that. as i said in another thread, my favorite ship is the excelsior. so far i've spent 25 bucks on it to get a fleet version in over 4 years. i'm not complaining if i have to spent 10 more. 35 bucks in 5 years is cheap entertainment.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the word you're looking for is 'consumerism'.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    not different at all. if people like a game, or its potential, they're willing tp spend money. its all the haters who can't let go that won't accept that. as i said in another thread, my favorite ship is the excelsior. so far i've spent 25 bucks on it to get a fleet version in over 4 years. i'm not complaining if i have to spent 10 more. 35 bucks in 5 years is cheap entertainment.

It's very different...

Starcitezen is a Kickstarter game, developed by the number 1 all time super space-sim making dude... There wasn't even a true concept when the donations began, and no established background

STO is a existing game made by the #1 superhero MMO creating company... Theres established background and an existing playerbase.

Entirely different scenarios.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i would say the "value for money" is good but the ship design seems a bit well pants,

The federation ship i dont like i think they could have done a nice tie in with the delta quadrant and used somthing else

now im going to say a ship and get shot down but i think they could have used the design from the dauntless instead of what they have proposed which i will say i dont like.

My main issue is that i have a lot of starships i like using and im sort of set with my rom chars and my fed chars (each are themed) i just dont like the federation starships so if they split it down into smaller packs iwould be intereted in buying bits but not all.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's very different...

Starcitezen is a Kickstarter game, developed by the number 1 all time super space-sim making dude... There wasn't even a true concept when the donations began, and no established background

STO is a existing game made by the #1 superhero MMO creating company... Theres established background and an existing playerbase.

Entirely different scenarios.
    it still comes down to the willingness to spend money on an unknown future to entertain themselves. at least with an existing game you don't need to wait 3 years to see if it was worth your money.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the no-cloak treaty (Treaty of Algeron) was with the Romulan Star Empire and went out of the window when said Empire stopped existing.

Which was never. The RSE never ceased to exist in STO's timeline.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    it still comes down to the willingness to spend money on an unknown future to entertain themselves. at least with an existing game you don't need to wait 3 years to see if it was worth your money.

While that is true, the comparison dosen't apply, as the money spend on starcitezen is more likely to be useable in the long term (since it seems there will be a single-player part from what I can tell) than money spend on STO, that WILL eventually be shut down.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • stostargatewarsstostargatewars Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Good thing this came out while I am in the states for my holidays, I don't have to pay in euros for living in the UK which makes it a bit cheaper.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While that is true, the comparison dosen't apply, as the money spend on starcitezen is more likely to be useable in the long term (since it seems there will be a single-player part from what I can tell) than money spend on STO, that WILL eventually be shut down.

And eventually there will be a format of PC that'll prevent you from playing Star Citizen (be it because of the OS or interface). All video games have a limited technical lifespan, and while STO's is still certainly shorter than a newly developed game with a single player component (of any kind) its a moot point because in all probability you'll loose interest in both well before the lights turn off or the old tower breaks.

Its not an economically relevant problem.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Romulan ships look great and I love the Klingon Raptor. Not sure about the Klingon battlecruiser however. I' hoping it has access to more Klingon-looking skins. Anyway I love the game and want to support it so I bought the pack :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • darkstriverdarkstriver Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm no stranger to micro-transactions and buying DLC's. Looking at my vast collection of DLC's for MMO's and stand-alone box games, I'll go so far as to admit I may have a DLC addiction. Between Lifetime membership, and all the ships I've bought for this game I'm clearly not one to pause too long on paying for additional extras. Also, having spent several years in software development myself I completely understand and appreciate the business end of the computer software industry.

That being said, when a complete "AAA" video game takes around $60 million (That's $60,000,000.00) to $80 million to develop and cost about $70.00 for me to buy. Shelling out $125.00 for a DLC expansion seems excessive. Considering PWE paid a little over $50 million for Cryptic and all it's IP's a few years ago. When I see the $125 asking price for this new DLC and can't help but to wonder how much of that is actual voice talent and man-hours invested, and how much of that might be fleecing?

In use of your argument, I would say that if they charged actual price for the ships in this deal, $200 dollars and above would be "excessive" as you say. $125 is a really good deal, if you consider that each T6 ship costs $25. I imagine they would.

Also, never in the history of this game did they ever charge for content when it is clearly a free-to-play game. I can understand if you don't want to pay $125 to get the pack or just don't want the pack, but the things you stated above doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention invalid and inaccurate.
    edited September 2014
    And eventually there will be a format of PC that'll prevent you from playing Star Citizen (be it because of the OS or interface). All video games have a limited technical lifespan, and while STO's is still certainly shorter than a newly developed game with a single player component (of any kind) its a moot point because in all probability you'll loose interest in both well before the lights turn off or the old tower breaks.

Its not an economically relevant problem.

I am still playing my original DOS based Command And Conquer - Tiberium Dawn... You were saying?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    The Romulan ships look great and I love the Klingon Raptor. Not sure about the Klingon battlecruiser however. I' hoping it has access to more Klingon-looking skins. Anyway I love the game and want to support it so I bought the pack :)

I would have at least waited for more details about the ships. But hey, if I had a business, I'd want customers like you. :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,428 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    How many free ships in LoR ?
    One at start, I think only one at lvl 10 (unless you got the Rhode Island-class and put it on a FedRom), I think only one at lvl 20 (I never really investigated that, because the Mogai's a good ship), two at lvl 30, and I think three at lvl 40. That gives us a total of 8 free ships with LoR.

Of course, LoR involved an entirely new faction; I don't really expect any new ships now, because T5 is still supposed to be usable all the way to endgame even with the level cap increase. (I know my Fed's prototype Oddy can still handle everything I've taken it into, and my Ferengi's Risian cruiser, the Latinum Princess, acquitted itself well in the STF I took it into...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    I am still playing my original DOS based Command And Conquer - Tiberium Dawn... You were saying?

At least play Red Alert instead. Because...

Better Skirmish Mode
    Tesla Coils
    Hell March
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014

And I would be very happy if I could play Mechwarrior 3 on my machine again without it crashing or glitching.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. Sometimes you still want to play the game, sometimes not.

I know how much of STO I would be playing now if it wasn't for F2P and packages like this.
    havokreign wrote: »
    At least play Red Alert instead. Because...

Better Skirmish Mode
    Tesla Coils
    Hell March

But Red Alert is silly. (Okay, the first part wasn't so bad.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Lucky you. I'm not able to get Mechcommander 2 running properly because of problems running something newer than Win XP and that is quite clearly a more recent release. It all depends on how well your game runs the gauntlet of "not officially supported" and in some cases that works out. Others, no. Its not something you can actually depend on.

Besides, of those games you bought in that era how many do you still have ANY interest in playing? There's two parts here. The first is the technical ability to play a video game. The second is the interest in doing so. Far more likely you'll run into problems with the second before the first. Ergo, while you may be able to play Starcitizen for more time on a strictly technical level spending money there doesn't necessarily get you more entertainment value than a more transient F2P MMO.

The important factor is much time you're willing to spend now, not how well the game is going to work with Win 12.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited September 2014
    Use DOSbox emulator.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I could be swayed by this pack. It's not cheap, but neither is buying eight ships and an outfit pack from the C-Store - especially if these ships are going to be in the ballpark of 3000 Zen a piece. Plus, given my characters, i'm fairly sure i'll use all the ships in the pack.

I'm a little disappointed though. Obviously, Starfleet was always going to get the most ships, but i'd have been much happier if the Science players of the KDF and RRF had a science vessel of their own.

EDIT: Although that being said, I just saw something that could cost you a sale;
    Downloadable Content: Requires the base game Star Trek Online on Arc in order to play.

How about no?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • bryguy#1741 bryguy Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There's not enough value in this pack for me to justify the price. The KDF and Romulan ships look nice, but presently I have 1 KDF and 1 Romulan toon that just collect dust. No point in purchasing ships for them just so they can run the same missions that I'll run on my Fed. The Fed ships are just unbelievably ugly. Between the Fed Dyson ship, and these new Fed ships, clearly the designer hates Starfleet.

I might be interested in picking up the Guardian if I can use a Galaxy skin on it and get it by itself in the C-Store.

The rest of the pack seems pretty useless to me. I don't care about forum titles, the only interest in the Talaxians I have is exterminating them, the Boffs will be useless to me without a T6 ship, the T5-FU tokens I'm not going to buy as long as that upgrade still leaves me obsolete, and I don't really have room for more active Doffs.

Sorry Cryptic. I have buyers remorse over getting the Legacy Pack, not going to do it again, especially with ugly ships and other stuff that's useless to me.

Thank you
    Thank you for the T6 Galaxy Class. - I support Tovan Khev. - Please bring back the exploration missions.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    The ships alone are worth probably around $160 ... @2K zen each on average for a higher/highest level ship ... BoFF's, DoFF's, Upgrade Tokens and Costumes, would easily be another $40 so ...

$125?

Sold!

T6 Ships will probably go for 3,000 zen each, Boffs 500 each, costume 550, upgrade tokens 500, so

8 x 3000 = 24,000
    3 x 500 = 1500
    3 x 500 = 1500

doffs you don't normally buy in the C-Store but let's say 500 for the three

27,500 zen total not taking into account probably (no) four or two ship discount packages like the Odyssey, etc. packs.

After the Sale will probably be $159.99 for the pack - but then no doffs and titles.

So it all depends on what you want out of the pack whether it is worth it for you.

Oh, the Bridge Officers you buy in the C-Store are 500 zen per character. This is an account unlock
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    One at start, I think only one at lvl 10 (unless you got the Rhode Island-class and put it on a FedRom), I think only one at lvl 20 (I never really investigated that, because the Mogai's a good ship), two at lvl 30, and I think three at lvl 40. That gives us a total of 8 free ships with LoR.

Of course, LoR involved an entirely new faction; I don't really expect any new ships now, because T5 is still supposed to be usable all the way to endgame even with the level cap increase. (I know my Fed's prototype Oddy can still handle everything I've taken it into, and my Ferengi's Risian cruiser, the Latinum Princess, acquitted itself well in the STF I took it into...)

Another way to say the same thing is:
    Number of free level 41+ ships in lor = 0
    Number of free level 41+ ships in dr = 0

The only free level 41+ ships are from events or give a ways. I don't see this changing. All the rest require a purchase (sub, key, module, zen ship, etc) even if you got it for "free" off the ah or whatnot, someone paid cryptic for it.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    EDIT: Although that being said, I just saw something that could cost you a sale;
    Downloadable Content: Requires the base game Star Trek Online on Arc in order to play.
    How about no?

Technically STO requires ARC right this very minute. It's just that if you have the old launcher, or Steam, then it doesn't. But if a brand new player decided to play, and they didn't have Steam, they'd be pointed at ARC to get the download.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    People hate when I compare single-player offline games and MMOs. rofl...

Its simple...

Link: List of Best Buy Games

$125 for a handful of MMO DLC items.

-or-

$125 for two completely new single player games.

-or-

$125 for several one year old single player games.

Unlike single-player and offline games, you cannot store MMO DLC on a disc. If "Star Trek: Online" suddenly came to an end, you lose complete access to everything.

I would put my money toward something logical.

This is another great point. I use this sort of logic when buying anything game related. Here are some of my Steam purchases and how much they cost:

Borderlands 2 GotY Ed. Included every single DLC - 4.99
    Warlock: Master of Arcane. Included every single DLC - 4.99
    Saints Row 3 with all DLC - 4.99
    Metro Last Light with all DLC - 4.99

These are just a few of the awesome games I've bought at this low price. Compare buying any one of these games to purchasing a single $20 ship.
    edited September 2014
    Steam has the volume to have those kind of 1-5-10 dollar sales all the time though and still profit accordingly.

Even more so because they're the leading digital marketplace, and can actually charge publishers to list their software, as opposed to buying the rights to sell it.

Also many single player, offline, games still require a connection to steam to play, unless you've otherwise set yourself to offline mode, which you have to be online to do. :rolleyes:

Point stands though, you can get more for your money elsewhere. It's just a matter of the individual and what they prefer. They worked (hopefully) for their dollars, so let the dice roll.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Technically STO requires ARC right this very minute. It's just that if you have the old launcher, or Steam, then it doesn't. But if a brand new player decided to play, and they didn't have Steam, they'd be pointed at ARC to get the download.

That's all very well and good, but as an old player still happily using Steam - and not the only one - I don't see why this has now turned into yet another attempt to get people to move over onto ARC.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    varthelm wrote: »
    My only issue here is in the comparison to the Legacy pack. After the release of the Scimitar and Ar'kif, most of the ships were rendered obsolete and it wasnt too long after the Legacy pack came out. One could have done better buying the Starter pack, the cheapie valdore for that console, Scimi of one's choice and the Ar'kif and would not miss a beat. And would have saved money. This pack does seem to come with some good doffs for the new expansion though so maybe this one is more worth it. However, the Legacy pack was pretty much a waste of money.

This is my concern as well. I bought the LoR pack mostly because it included the d'deridex and mogai and because I thought the d'deridex would be fairly powerful. Then, Cryptic released the scimitar and adapted romulan ships which put the d'deridex to shame with a better turn-rate. And to top it all off, the arkif was released as sort of a reimagined D'deridex destroyer with a hangar. How in the world does a destroyer get a hangar and yet the d'deridex doesn't? The d'deridex is what, 3 or 4 times larger and somehow it can't fit shuttles?

I expect the same shenanigans will occur with the delta pack. Shortly after the pack is released, Cryptic will release better lock box and c-store shops.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not sure if someone brought up this point so i appoligize in advance if i am repeating. Right now a top level ship will cost u around $25 US, with the pack you are getting 8 ships, so do the simple math. If these ships were to cost you $25 each you would be paying $200 just for the ships alone. Not only do you get 8 ships for $125, but you also get boff's, doff's, ship upgade tokens, and Talaxian uniform (although some might not like it). That in my opinion is one hell of a deal. I will definately get this pack, it is well worth every penny.

But the question is, is $25 USD for a single ship a value to begin with or it is way over priced? What if a ship cost $50 USD? $75? What is too much for a bunch of 1s and 0s? So let's say a single ship is $50. 50x8 = $400. So if they were then selling for $325 would that be a deal too? This is kinda like my wife saying she bought a pair of shoes that were 50% off. They were normally $1000 so $500 is a deal right? Well it's still $500 for a pair of shoes.

I look at what I can do with $500 and it seems totally absurd. Same with this. With $125 I could buy about 25 AA-AAA games off of Steam. Granted they may be a year or so old but that is a WHOLE lot of gaming entertainment.