test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RE: Tier 6 ships

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The Dev came into a thread complaining about T6 ships. He listed all the T6 ships and then the Intrepid. It stands to reason that the Intrepid will be getting a T6 refit.

Guess my new sci ship will be the Intrepid since no word on what happens to lockbox/lobi ships has gotten out.
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Guess my new sci ship will be the Intrepid since no word on what happens to lockbox/lobi ships has gotten out.

They are upgrading the "Bug ship" so one would think that they would also upgrade the Lockbox and Lobi ships.....

On a unrelated note, your avatar made me TRIBBLE myself laughing.... :D
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Variety is the key here.

These are not the only ships, nor are they the start of a new "trend"
    Similar to how the Dyson ships are not part of a new "trend"
    Similar to how the Avenger was not part of a new "trend"

We will create a variety of ships, for a variety of tastes. It is absolutely not possible to appease everyone, unless we release quite a large range of ships -- which is what we're going to do!

Generally, that range of ships includes:

Canon - something seen on the TV series or movies.
    Refit/Update - Inspired by a canon ship, usually parts are swappable with inspiration, but not always.
    New - Identifiable as a faction's ship, but with a strong flavor twist.
    Evolution - Inspired by canon ships, but usually a new class of ship.

Sometimes these blend together, sometimes they don't.

Regardless, we have, and will continue to cover those bases to appease the largest number of people.

To put the ships you have seen into perspective, let me categorize the ships we've seen

Fed cruiser: New/Evolution
    Fed small ship: New/Evolution
    Romulan ship: New/Evolution
    Klingon ship: New/Update
    Intrepid: Canon

In other words, hold your horses, you haven't seen everything yet! :D

That's all well and good, but most of the material we've seen on new Federation ships in Delta Rising is using the Tron designs so what did you guys expect us to think?

The aesthetic of Starfleet ships is pretty well established; every example in the game is unmistakably "Star Trek". The new designs just don't fit. :S
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The Dev came into a thread complaining about T6 ships. He listed all the T6 ships and then the Intrepid. It stands to reason that the Intrepid will be getting a T6 refit.

Well, he's a ship artist, and his post was entirely devoted to ship art and aesthetics, with nary a mention of tier. So I'm going to avoid jumping to conclusions at this time.

I could be wrong - my point is, that was far from a definitive statement.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Variety is the key here.

We will create a variety of ships, for a variety of tastes. It is absolutely not possible to appease everyone, unless we release quite a large range of ships -- which is what we're going to do!

Refit/Update - Inspired by a canon ship, usually parts are swappable with inspiration, but not always.

Regardless, we have, and will continue to cover those bases to appease the largest number of people.

To put the ships you have seen into perspective, let me categorize the ships we've seen

I said this in the past but i do enjoy the work that the Ship art team does , while i dont like EVERY ship that is released , IE Fed Dyson destroyer . but there are alot that i do like. though the concept art for these new fed ships , dont seem to be my style , though the Romulan ship is beautiful

From what ive seen with how T6 ship will work from the information currently released makes it seem that we must fly these ships if we want certain traits to add to our current end game ships .
    while im all for new ships, with quirky new abilities, for im not forced to use them to be competitive . till DR . regardless Elite PVE has a certain competitive edge to it . and i feel that if i dont have a Tier 6 or a upgraded tier 5.5 that im hindering my team when qued for these events .
    while i have no problem with new gear with hirer marks , i have no problem with new ships . i have a issue with making current end game into junk that will get you shunned if you continue to fly in endgame content .
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Okay folks, we got Tier 6 ship discussions EVERYWHERE so they are now going to start being merged into this one thread (which also had a few things merged into it). If you know of any more threads that need merging, send us a PM :)

I mean't no disrespect, I know they have been working hard on the new expansion. But unless they come out with a purple D'kora or allow me to fly a magical dragon, I'm going to hold onto my current ship. It's my precious! hehe
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lunasto wrote: »
    I mean't no disrespect, I know they have been working hard on the new expansion. But unless they come out with a purple D'kora or allow me to fly a magical dragon, I'm going to hold onto my current ship. It's my precious! hehe

No disrespect at all! :) Honestly? I change ships so often that I will probably use a T6 ship sooner or later but always go back to my excelsior. (Always loved the design of that ship hehe)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love you, JamJamz, but I'm a spergy Trek nerd and I wants what I wants.
  • noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Unless our current ships are updated to match the new mechanics, and are not rendered obsolete then this game revamp and item reset will be what pushes me to leave this game.

Not that that fact matters to the Geko.

Once the game went F2P our opinions became irrelevant. All our words here are wasted. In a couple of months everything we have done for the last 4 years will be wiped clean so that we have to repurchase everything we worked for.

And it is better for them if us older players leave. Since a new player is more likely to repurchase everything they will be trying to sell.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but most of the material we've seen on new Federation ships in Delta Rising is using the Tron designs so what did you guys expect us to think?

The aesthetic of Starfleet ships is pretty well established; every example in the game is unmistakably "Star Trek". The new designs just don't fit. :S

I don't think the Material is "tron like" I think thats the model details

Look at the fed ship to the left here

http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Delta_Rising_Official_1.png

doesn't look very Tron.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the way ppl rave about the aegis set, i figured most people adored the tron look.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the way ppl rave about the aegis set, i figured most people adored the tron look.

I think they meant its stats :P You can disable effects.
  • ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Variety is the key here.

T6 fleet Vesta [refit/evolution] ? *throwing money for it*
    ppl would actually buy c store versions for console plus they will buy fleet T6 version aswell.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I know that this is probably asking too much but can you make it have different weapon hard points for dual heavy cannons and dual beam banks? :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the owners of the obelisk carrier won't be able to upgrade this ship? i mean players who bought it:

20000 fleet credit - 2 ship modules (1000 zen)
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the owners of the obelisk carrier won't be able to upgrade this ship? i mean players who bought it:

20000 fleet credit - 2 ship modules (1000 zen)

Only the Advanced (Lobi) Obelisk can be upgraded.
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Never mind, nothing to see here...
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i know, but i think that their decision is just strange; i can understand for the mirror ships (not from our universe blalbla), but i don't understand why the obelisk carrier and the dyson ship from the missions, can't be upgraded. this is arbitrary.

I don't use the dyson ship, but i like the obelisk carrier, i spent a lot of dil and ec for the gears, and now it will be totally obsolete!!

And i won't buy the lobi obelisk carrier, for one reason, i don't open these stupid boxes.

well, cryptic/pwe loose a way to earn MORE money
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Variety is the key here.

Taking this with a grain of salt, considering that it might be a year, or even two till enough of these canon / refit ships hit the market.

And even then, the one ship in the game which I could see myself taking into the Delta Quadrant (Excalibur, built in 2409) likely isn't part of this equation anyways.

When that snafu gets fixed, then maybe I'll reconsider. But until then, along with many others, I'll stick with what I have, because the new stuff just doesn't fit Starfleet's design aesthetic.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • rockmonstartrekrockmonstartrek Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So this is maybe a stupid question.

When we level and hit a new tier rank, we always got a free ship to go along with it. So now with fleet admiral rank will we get a free T6 ship? Or will they all be c-store only and we won't even get a basic T6 ship?
    edited August 2014
    So this is maybe a stupid question.

When we level and hit a new tier rank, we always got a free ship to go along with it. So now with fleet admiral rank will we get a free T6 ship? Or will they all be c-store only and we won't even get a basic T6 ship?

I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Lockbox ships are the most expensive and hard ships to get in the game. Cryptic always branded this ships as end game ships, and now they will be only upgradeable to T5-U, so t6 ships will have "more" than a lockbox ship

Lockbox ships should be at least have the same things that a t6 ship.
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At least till the T6 lockbox ships come out. :cool:
  • ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The thought crossed our minds. However, we'd like to keep Fleet Modules specific to purchasing fleet ships and whatever we do for T5-Us to be entirely seperate.

Upgraded Lockbox ships aren't inferior to T6s ships. Existing lockbox ships lack the 13th bridge officer power once they're upgraded and they don't have a Starship Trait, but they generally have superior hull and shield mods. Additionally a T5-U upgraded lockbox/lobi ship will have 11 console slots vs. a standard T6 ship's 10 console slots.

Good question. Here's the breakdown on Fleet ships. Right now, Fleet Ships offer +1 console slot, +10% Hull HP and +10% Shield HP over a standard T5 ship. If you were to upgrade a Fleet Ship to T5-U, it would gain all the benefits mentioned:

-Bonus scaling HP
    -Starship Mastery passive abilities
    -+1 Console Slot

The short answer to your question is no. They will have 10% better shield and hull than the non-fleet T5-U variant and have +1 console slot.

I think you'll find this statement to not be true once Delta Rising goes live. A T5-U Lockbox/Lobi ships is still an incredibly powerful ship even compared to a T6 ship. Also, your first two points are the same thing. The 5th Starship Mastery level is just unlocking the starship trait.

I hope to be able to answer more questions later today.

Thanks,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
    Cryptic Studios
    Systems Designer

Quote from the announcement thread
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    my point is still valid, a lockbox ships cost 10 times more and they wont have the Starship Trait, 13th BO ability and the Specialized BO seats. Now they will launch t6 in lockbxoes making all the others obsolete, this is a scam....
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Quote from the announcement thread
    wherein he purposefully compared a base model T6 to an upgraded T5

Add a fleet module to that base T6 and you get the extra 10% and console. Or open a T6 lockbox.

All T5 lockbox ships will be inferior from that moment on.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    playhard88 wrote: »
    my point is still valid, a lockbox ships cost 10 times more and they wont have the Starship Trait, 13th BO ability and the Specialized BO seats. This is a scam...now they will launch t6 in lockbxoes making all the others obsolete.
    The starship trait ANY ship can use, it just takes a T6 ship to unlock it in the first place.

The 13 BOFF ability/specialized BOFF seating aren't a T6 feature, as it will not be on every tier 6 ship after X2's launch. It's more of a gimmick than anything.

You're being paranoid over nothing.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wherein he purposefully compared a base model T6 to an upgraded T5

Add a fleet module to that base T6 and you get the extra 10% and console. Or open a T6 lockbox.

All T5 lockbox ships will be inferior from that moment on.

doesn't that happen every time a new lockbox comes out... in fact is that one of the major whine. every. single. time.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The 13 BOFF ability/specialized BOFF seating aren't a T6 feature, as it will not be on every tier 6 ship after X2's launch. It's more of a gimmick than anything.

Fine, it's not a T6 vs T5U thingy.

It's a "additional Boff ability" vs "NO additional Boff" ability thing.

Every ship without this additional ability will not be able to keep up, no matter the label.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, lookie-lookie!:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133

Upgrading a Tier 5 ship is easy.
    First, you must be level 50 and at a starship selector NPC on a ground map.

When browsing your starships you’ll notice that qualifying Tier 5 ships will now have an upgrade button on the starship’s inventory screen.

Pressing this button will prompt you to pay a Zen cost (or possibly require an item with a Zen cost).
    This cost will be significantly lower than if you were to purchase a Tier 6 ship from the Zen Store.
    Completing this purchase will then immediately upgrade your ship and transfer any items on the T5 ship to the new upgraded ship.

It should be noted that some ships will be free to upgrade.
    This includes things like many event reputation ships (like the Breen and Risian ships), all lockbox ships, all lobi store ships, and duty officer promotion ships like the Jem’Hadar Attack Ship and Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser.

And there, ladies and gents, is our answer at last!

Looks like me and my Wells are gonna be doing the Timey-Wimey for for a lonnnnng time! :D