test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

450 days to master a crafting grind??!??!?!

Comments

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    WoW is a pay to play...and a pretty expensive pay to play at that.

You too can craft to your hearts content if you have the mats in this system. Okay, yeah there is a tiny time gate...but so does the WoW crafting. The complaint is about the 20 hour time gate to gain a bumch of exp with almost no resource other then time used...something that WoW doesn't even let you do.

You gain traits as you level up (okay it's two giant leaps instead of a bunch of small bumps...but...meh).

You can't break item down...okay yeah that would have been nice...but seriously the stuff you get back from doing that in WoW is weak sauce and you know it.

You can't craft that fast and you know it. It takes minutes to make something. Then its random where you can't pick what you want stats wise. Not to mention what items you do craft does very little on gaining levels. Where in WoW you can just craft one right after another. Instead of waiting for it to be made. Even in WoW you can gain levels faster than this. With a new character can you keep up in level in crafting to keep the gear going with this? I highly doubt it with the 20 hour cool down.

The gear wasn't weak sauce either. As I used it a good bit to keep my guy geared up. Plus when they added transmorg those items became popular again for sell. So others can create their own looks.

In all WoW still has a better crafting. Even the old STO crafting was better to level up.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm actually confused by how strong the negative reaction is to the crafting system is. You can buy the crafted items from players who themselves crafted the items so there's no reason for you to craft if you're crafting for the items. It would certainly take you much less time to save up the ec than to grind crafting. The traits? Some of you expressed how bad the traits are. One guy used a censored swear word that means poo. Now I don't know if you guys really think the traits are as bad as poo, or if you instinctually feel the need to destroy things you hate and you think that somehow calling the traits poo somehow hurts the devs or the crafting system or whatever. If it's the former then again you don't need to craft. If it's the latter then I should tell you before you continue that you're really hurting neither and you should change your tactic to a zen boycot or something.

Unless you were crafting before, the new crafting grind shouldn't have affected you other than increasing the loot you get from stfs and such. If you were crafting before then the drastic increase in the quality of the craftable items should be associated with a drastic increase in work involved in getting there.

The strongest negative reaction the new crafting system should invoke is maybe annoyance. It certainly shouldn't be rage.
  • garvesnekanogarvesnekano Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    just to play devils advocate

I am sorry but 450 days to lvl 20 does not sound correct when there are already lvl 15 items on the exchange

also there a double exp on rand d coming up so I highly doubt it will take that long

also in this double dil weekend I made over 300k dil ((Granted not refined but across all my characters wont take to long)) so where's this paying people are talking about

and again I just being devils advocate but what I seeing is people complaining just to complain
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    shadore wrote: »
    I'm actually confused by how strong the negative reaction is to the crafting system is. You can buy the crafted items from players who themselves crafted the items so there's no reason for you to craft if you're crafting for the items. It would certainly take you much less time to save up the ec than to grind crafting.

Perhaps if you were to sell crafting mats to the gullible that did not know the manner in which the Exchange will try to trick players...and even if they get past the "All" aspect, they'd better hope they're educated about the difference between Price and Price Per Unit where they can end up paying 2-3x+ times the price of something buying them one at a time.

Cause they killed EC income from drops...with folks making less than a third of what they were previously.

Though, you can always grind Dil to trade for ZEN to buy keys to get some EC from folks that already have EC...cause you don't earn EC anymore...you buy EC.
    The traits? Some of you expressed how bad the traits are. One guy used a censored swear word that means poo. Now I don't know if you guys really think the traits are as bad as poo, or if you instinctually feel the need to destroy things you hate and you think that somehow calling the traits poo somehow hurts the devs or the crafting system or whatever. If it's the former then again you don't need to craft. If it's the latter then I should tell you before you continue that you're really hurting neither and you should change your tactic to a zen boycot or something.

At this point, the only reason I am doing the Research Projects is to unlock the traits on some guys that have useless Ground traits. But for folks that have purchased various Box Traits, well - they're likely to look at them and /facepalm. Add in that it was never made clear in any documentation that the traits go into your Personal Trait Pool. So finding out about that as well, could very well tick them off.
    Unless you were crafting before, the new crafting grind shouldn't have affected you other than increasing the loot you get from stfs and such. If you were crafting before then the drastic increase in the quality of the craftable items should be associated with a drastic increase in work involved in getting there.

Except most of it is broken and not working...eh? That might be a reason to be upset...eh?
    The strongest negative reaction the new crafting system should invoke is maybe annoyance. It certainly shouldn't be rage.

It's a broken mess of garbage...one either rages or falls out of their chair laughing at just how bad it is.

I am sorry but 450 days to lvl 20 does not sound correct when there are already lvl 15 items on the exchange

Even though the 450 days is incorrect, it has little to do with L15 items being on the Exchange already. You can "Finish Now!" your way to L15...just pay out the Dil.
    also there a double exp on rand d coming up so I highly doubt it will take that long

Yeah, no idea where the 450 came from...
    also in this double dil weekend I made over 300k dil ((Granted not refined but across all my characters wont take to long)) so where's this paying people are talking about

Twitter...a discussion that Smirk was involved in.
    and again I just being devils advocate but what I seeing is people complaining just to complain

Or maybe...just maybe...some people have a clue what they're talking about? They've actually spent hours upon hours upon hours upon hours over the past several weeks testing things.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That's because people literally bought their way to Level 15 to make those goods. :rolleyes:
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At level 20 allow players to create 'liberated' versions of ships (up to tier 4) - captured, reconditioned ships from opposing factions. So they can craft, for example, a KDF BOP usable by a Fed player! And vice versa. After all, this would require 2 changes - the 'flag' in game that defines what faction the ship goes to in the database, and the paint scheme. The model wouldn't change, nor it's functions.
    Make fleets capable of acquiring tier 5 opposing ships the same way.

hell no.
    feds will stop at nothing to strip every last bit of tech from the kdf possible. BoPs? if you really want flanking that bad you already have the breen ship available.
  • garvesnekanogarvesnekano Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Now we arent, Cryptic is more that willing for a cut to allow you to bypass stages ... the flaw of the 20 hour project was it was meant to level crafting without crafting anything, however it was nerfed TWICE because people decided they really didnt need to craft Mk II-XI items because even a regular player will outlevel the crafting level, considering crafting is locked until Lv 15 a new player cannot even be able to craft items to his level because he will always be farther ahead ... unless he pays.

I am sorry you don't need green blue purple or ultrea rare to level. When leveling my romulan all I used was white gear and I can level a romulan in three days. ((not 72 hours I am still sleeping in this time)) with only a 5 % bonus exp vet buff no doffs nothing to help ect. this to me really has no impact on leveling and what not
    still playing devils advocate
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Jesus, how many days? No way I'm doing that ****... is it possible to buy the unique items and traits from the exchange?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I dunno, having a 360 disruptor BA on the back of my Vesta would at least make subsystem targeting useable.
    Oh, good point. The DHC capable Science Vessels would definitely benefit here.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I am sorry you don't need green blue purple or ultrea rare to level. When leveling my romulan all I used was white gear and I can level a romulan in three days. ((not 72 hours I am still sleeping in this time)) with only a 5 % bonus exp vet buff no doffs nothing to help ect. this to me really has no impact on leveling and what not
    still playing devils advocate

Given the XP rate is hard set atr 600XP per hour max, the new items like the science part gens console or the Aegis set are the easiest way to XP up without spending hours of crafting.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The unique items? Yes of course, crafting is a factory.

The traits? No. Those aren't meant for you, those are the reward for people who waste all the money leveling up crafting schools so that you don't have to.

I thought they come in Trait boxes like the ones from lockboxes... I don't see why someone couldn't get them for EC... some grind the schools to get them, others pay the price in EC.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Why exactly do they need to make money from crafting? Having a FIXED dilithium cost which is proportional to fleet / rep gear is probably fair. But why do they need to profit from crafting? Aren't they already profiting from ships, lock boxes, lobi and all the other stuff they sell? Is there any content coming which doesn't have a huge grind and/or cost attached?

Is this what makes F2P better? If so I would rather pay the $15 and have a real MMO with an emphasis on content. TYVM!

Simple greed. S L O W crafting with fast leveling creates frustration and impatience. That's why they put in the DIL button. Pay money for DIL, finish crafting in a more reasonable amount of time, and actually get end game gear. Yes, they're making more money by other methods, but there's no such thing as "enough" money. And they'll do literally everything short of shutting the game down. It isn't a promising prospect for the game, of for the MMO market as a whole.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Everything in a F2P game has to generate revenue in some fashion...either directly or indirectly. It's a business...even that restaurant giving away the free coffee or whatever, is hoping you buy something else while you're there. R&D's a major system - it has to generate revenue.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hate the new crafting system its like they wont me to get bored with it n give up which people will do
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited July 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    I hate the new crafting system its like they wont me to get bored with it n give up which people will do

People have....lotsa rage in this forum. Just imagine the frustrations of those who aren't registered here.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Why exactly do they need to make money from crafting? Having a FIXED dilithium cost which is proportional to fleet / rep gear is probably fair. But why do they need to profit from crafting? Aren't they already profiting from ships, lock boxes, lobi and all the other stuff they sell? Is there any content coming which doesn't have a huge grind and/or cost attached?

Turned out ppl could actually craft something useful occassionally. Then a manager got chided for failing to have seen the opportunity for another money grab. That soon got rectified. And they went back to business as usual.

The End
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    People have....lotsa rage in this forum. Just imagine the frustrations of those who aren't registered here.

Oh and what about the players who like the new crafting much more than the old one?

Maybe I am just the minority because I don't like grinding (I've finished the romulan Rep about two months ago although I play nearly daily since 2010).
    The only time I've really "grinded" was during the old times when you were only able to get the Omega/Maco Sets with random drops. I've promised myself not to grind any longer after I've got all 3-set pieces...

Anyway, I personally like the new crafting more than the old one. I cannot say why. But this is more fun and more like "crafting". I am only level 4 at Engineering but I don't feel like to rush. The things I produce I can still use on my romulan alt who I created shortly after Expansion 1.

On the other hand I also play foundry missions which can take about an hour and I don't even care about the Dillithium because I play them "just for fun" or at least have a nice story told.

But as I said before perhaps I am just the minority (considering the fact that most of the farming foundry missions have more playthroughs than the ones I've played recently).

Greetings
    Nahari

(sorry for the grammer. I am not a native speaker.)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In light of my frustrations with this update and to build upon what I said earlier, I felt compelled to make this little video.

*sigh*
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    In light of my frustrations with this update and to build upon what I said earlier, I felt compelled to make this little video.

*sigh*

Makes the STO system look more and more dilliberate...sad.
    edited July 2014

*sigh*

Took 3 hours to craft 1 item! That is really sad. I only did the mark II item to test it, and even then it took 5 minutes.

Goes to show how really horrible this new crafting is. I rather have the old one back. This says it all, I'm in no hurry to craft stuff.

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014

*sigh*

Clearly a hoax! I already told you that the good and smart players of STO already know that Cryptic is the apex of the gaming industry, hypl, so your little deception doesn't work around here.

Now sir, take your magic and sorcery with you and begone! We don't need such fabrications here! ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I will but just for the fun of it some are already crafting very rare stuff , am in no rush to get lvl 20 ,
    mabe i wont even ever finish it wil see
    edited July 2014
    I will but just for the fun of it some are already crafting very rare stuff , am in no rush to get lvl 20 ,
    mabe i wont even ever finish it wil see

This is what I'm doing. I might get somewhere in time, if not. I'm not going to be in a rush. I'm just glad I got my main 3 geared already. So I can afford to wait as I level it up.

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Allow me to give you another example of an mmo that didn't have crafting levelling.

Tabula Rasa was closed down, but I admired the simplicity of their crafting system.

The way it worked was you needed the item (loot drop or vendor purchase), the mod (extracted from loot, upgradable) and the mimeomech (crafting currency) to do it.

The majority of your time was invested in finding the set items (Titan and Psyche for example) you wanted and getting the mimeomech to pay for the modifications.
    That second one wasn't so bad, since the Crafting Station made it for you from junk loot (the higher quality of the item and if any mods were still on it gave you more rewards).

And this was a game that was based around levelling.
    So this is direct evidence that there is a game that had a levelling mechanic and said to it's players, get out there and do crafting for fun, because it's not a grind!

For the record, I took crafting to the max level way back before you needed to use Dil for it, so I am a serious crafter.

But because of the significant time investment for crafting, I've limited myself to Beams and Ground Weapons, because these are the only level 15 rewards (TR-116b and Omnidirectional Beam Array) that matter to me.

It's just too difficult to do them all, so I lost interest in crafting.

Edit: Just found another gripe to add to the list.
    I was researching the purple crafting materials and found out there are more then I thought there was!
    I checked where to find them and got more sources of annoyances to add to my list!

Crystalline Entity Elite is the most glaring one, I hate that one so much!
    8472 Space missions I find tedious because of the time consumed and in one case, the complete lack of teamwork.
    The Tholian ground missions (Hard) I gave up doing because of the high failure rate.
    8472 Infilitration is the least offensive on this list, but I grew frustated often because of incompetency issues (8472 cleared, civilians arrested, the leroy who keeps spawning the boss to fight it alone before the team finishes the bonus mission).

I've done these missions so many times and now I have to do them all over again for crafting material!!!!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The RCS UR consoles are also nice, but there are two morons out to nerf them.

Update: The morons have done it.
  • jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just found out that it takes 450 days straight of slotting the bonus research exp to master ONE skill, I didnt think this new crafting system was a complete money grab by crypticpwe but it is!

I think they need to tone it down if you ask me, i mean nearly a year to max out a single department? insane fools.

The only way i will do this is if i had infinite dilithium, which would require me buying Zen....ALOT of Zen to trade in for dilithium, but then i use dilithium to upgrade the gear i have when i level up.

So, it will likely be one of those things that i max out with a lower level character buying a bunch of zen to trade in for dilithium and then buying the components to make anything i need, instead of buying it off of the exchange for the insane prices i see on there.

This system, especially if you are the impatient is a pay-2-win fast type of thing.
  • gagocashgagocash Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jamiek81 wrote: »
    i mean nearly a year to max out a single department? insane fools.
    Look at my signature, i tell the real truth and dont forget we have 7 schools x 1 year = 7 years and all you get is TRIBBLE. and after you get the very rare xii tr-116b gun you are free to "invest" more time, ec and of course much more dilithium to "upgrade" the gun to ultra rare or epic TRIBBLE xiii and then again to xiv.

the upgrade and crafting system, both suck big time.

P.S. i had the fun today to destroy almost 171 million ec and around 2000 zen in dilithium!!! for some ship gear upgrades. i have used the superior upgrades only and all i have managed to upgrade there 5 tac consoles and 3 set consoles to very rare xiv. of course i need now much, much more ec and dil to finish the other gear on my ship. my goal is a ultra rare xiv loadout.
    M.A.C.O. ELITE COMMANDER & KIRK'S PROTEGE
  • jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I personally rushed the research up to level 5 on all departments and that alone promises either a blue or a purple Mk II, when i get the chance to add in vastly more dilithium, i plan to max it all out entirely.

For now, level 5 is good enough for me, sure it would be cool to have a 75-100% chance for purple Mk IIs, but my main gripe with this crafting system is you can't pick the mods on the items when you make them.

I mean, the amount of times i get PvP Res or PvP Damage or different mods i just don't want at all, so it would be cool if i could pick which stats to get, even if it means i use more components to craft the item, it would be worth it.

I mean, i am crafting them, you would think i could craft them the way i want to craft them, i mean if building worked like that in the real world, it would really, really suck, i mean they were making body armor for soldiers and special police officers (i live in the UK, so i believe only the special cops get the body armor) and they make its for extra bullet proof, but the item built turned out to be more lighter, but not more resilient......it would be so bad.
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I almost completely ignored the crafting system so far, now I wanted to start with it, saw the numbers and just had to laugh.

This is such a pathetic system They obviously want you to spend as much dilithium to cut down the waiting time as possible. But since people aren't stupid, a lot of people didn't push R&D, because it sucks and it is faster to get the Rep-System to max, even if you only push for one at a time.

So now they build in the upgrade system to force minmaxer into the R&D system. Really, really pathetic I must say.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You want pathetic ?

I crafted my first advanced upgrade tech last night (in fact, my first anything in the new system) at lvl 11 sci. No surprise I had to craft 2 items to make this new item. IIRC it cost 7500 ec in addition to the 2 items I needed to craft. So I go to apply my crafted tech upgrade to an upgrade project (5000 tech points) and the upgrade screen informs me I have to pay 960 dilithium to use my upgrade tech. Just for grins, I replace my crafted upgrade tech with one of the VR tech the recent bonus event awarded- 12,500 tech points. But to use it, my cost would be 1025 dilith.

:eek:

So- it costs MUCH more to upgrade my gear using my own skills and items I extracted from the game instead of buying the tech directly from the Z-store.

Anyone surprised except me ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG