test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to the 1 year crafting grind. Let them know what we think.

Comments

• pendrillionpendrillion Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hrrhm and I was hoping for a change they wouldn't shoot us in the knee with some parts of the game system.

I am displeased.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While we are all ranting a little - I have to step back and say - is the stuff from all this crafting effort really worth it?

Will spending a year grinding away make any meaningful improvement in our gameplay?

Will we even notice a significant difference by using this crafter gear then from the gear we can get already from the lock-boxes/Rep system/fleet system?

I think the answer to all these is: NO

So I have decided not to care any more. When I look at the benefits of the crafing system, compared to the costs - it just not worth it.

No meaningful change in my in game performance. No real advantage in PvE as the content is not any "harder", and no significant(over invested time) return on a "in-game" financial investment.

So really- we are all getting upset over a system - when you really look closely at it - is mostly useless.

So As Virusdancer would say - this whole thing is a big load of MEH:rolleyes:
  • fdb86fdb86 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll just forget about crafting entirely. Not doing that grind. This is becoming just like PW's other games. If you ever tried Forsaken World you will see it's free to play but has about 15 different types of currency...more added with each revision. Everything you do costs something...STO is slowly becoming exactly the same.
    edited July 2014
    Well the update/nerfing is complete!! Get back in there on that wheel you Hamsters - I mean crafters:P
  • warrenjameswarrenjames Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't post much, but I want to throw my hat into the ring and express my displeasure at the amount of RNG and grind in the new crafting system.

300 days for one school via research projects is far too long. Either let us slot multiple projects, vastly increase the amount of xp each project gives us, or cut the research project time down to around 4 hours.

VR material drops should be totally random, and from any elite queue. One of your big selling points changing drops from the old borg salvage model to marks and rep projects was not forcing people to do content they don't like.
    edited July 2014
    Oh and by the way - for all those concerned about getting Mats - I believe having a boatload of Rare and Very Rare - Research Lab Scientist doffs - can really help you cut down hunt for them. I think the Research Lab doffs allow for Mats to be obtained via doffing.

It might help a bit.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you can run one training mission and multiple other missions per school? Or just one mission per time per school
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh and by the way - for all those concerned about getting Mats - I believe having a boatload of Rare and Very Rare - Research Lab Scientist doffs - can really help you cut down hunt for them. I think the Research Lab doffs allow for Mats to be obtained via doffing.

It might help a bit.

crit only gives blue. the purple is the kicker.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited July 2014
    Well look at the calander - seems that after the Bonus dilithium weekend they now have added a "Bonus R & D weekend"

trying to butter us up???
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The best response to this is use metrics against them and just say no thanks. If people aren't using the crafting system this gives them the "numbers" they are so fond of to know that they need to make some changes and the system does have that flexibility.

I find some of the unprofessional comments from an interviewed dev highly disturbing. If the community is that frustrating that lashing out is happening it might be time for devs that feel that way to move on. It's time to find a new job with another company perhaps in the business world and not the gaming industry.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I find some of the unprofessional comments from an interviewed dev highly disturbing. If the community is that frustrating that lashing out is happening it might be time for devs that feel that way to move on. It's time to find a new job with another company perhaps in the business world and not the gaming industry.

People get upset partly because they don't feel heard. The gameplay bug reports forums for instance is a russian roulette where devs randomly pick 2 or 3 bugs to work on each week, and usually only ones belonging to the current season. Old bug? They may fix one each season just for the heck of it.

Exception:
    Tacofangs does stay on top of things in his department. Kudos to him.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    Meh, in a way I wish CBS would just pull the IP and get someone else to make a Trek MMO or games in general.

I've played off and on for a couple years and I had a blast in the beginning. It's nothing but grind now and this crafting system as it was released is nothing new, this change actually makes it worse.

I guess it's time to find something else to do.

i never thought i would ever agree with a comment like this, but you know what.. i am starting to think along these lines too. the game i used to love playing is now so far away from what it what once was. it used to be like star trek, now it just looks like it. i understand the need for them to make money, it is afterall a business, and i'm happy to spend money on things i like and want, but being held to ransom in order to progress within a sensible timeframe, thats just so wrong.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    People get upset partly because they don't feel heard. The gameplay bug reports forums for instance is a russian roulette where devs randomly pick 2 or 3 bugs to work on each week, and usually only ones belonging to the current season. Old bug? They may fix one each season just for the heck of it.

Exception:
    Tacofangs does stay on top of things in his department. Kudos to him.

We should replace all the other devs with clones of Tacofangs, Thomas, JamJamz, and Quack.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey peeps, remember that the daily can crit too, when you crit the daily you get 1k extra XP, for total of 7k, and the chance gets higher and higher after every level.

Wait, what? I'm defending this? TRIBBLE life!
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This change has handed control of the price of high priced gear over to a select few and that, my friends is just flat unfair and stupid. I don't get annoyed much with Cryptics decisions but this 20 hour daily limitation has me as close to it as I can get.

Players in this game with millions in surplus refined Dilithium bought level 20 crafting in one or more schools in a day. I know this to be true because those persons are in my fleet, and good for them. The rest of us will take about 100 days to get there due to this change. During that time those who paid for it will be selling crafting items for whatever they decide to post at without competitors to keep inflation under control. The select few will profit.

Most of us do not have 15 hours a day to play a game. This crafting grind is too much. But some will still do it. I urge everyone to not participate in this mess. Kill crafting. Let cryptic learn a good lesson. Burn crafting with fire and giant death rays of death.:mad:

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    This change has handed control of the price of high priced gear over to a select few and that, my friends is just flat unfair and stupid. I don't get annoyed much with Cryptics decisions but this 20 hour daily limitation has me as close to it as I can get.

Players in this game with millions in surplus refined Dilithium bought level 20 crafting in one or more schools in a day. I know this to be true because those persons are in my fleet, and good for them. The rest of us will take about 100 days to get there due to this change. During that time those who paid for it will be selling crafting items for whatever they decide to post at without competitors to keep inflation under control. The select few will profit.

Most of us do not have 15 hours a day to play a game. This crafting grind is too much. But some will still do it. I urge everyone to not participate in this mess. Kill crafting. Let cryptic learn a good lesson. Burn crafting with fire and giant death rays of death.:mad:

You're my kinda guy/girl. The last sentence is so full of win :D
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well look at the calander - seems that after the Bonus dilithium weekend they now have added a "Bonus R & D weekend"

trying to butter us up???

I've seen this pattern for a while now.

"We've screwed things up. No worries! Throw a Bonus <Whatever> Weekend!"
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At least I'm going to save time now. With crafting being completely pointless now, there's no need to farm mats.

Thanks Cryptic. :rolleyes:
  • betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not going to do crafting now. I put all of my R&D materials into my fleet bank for my fleet members to have. I'm not going to waste my time with the crafting system. GG cryptic
    edited July 2014
    At least I'm going to save time now. With crafting being completely pointless now, there's no need to farm mats.

There's always a silver lining to every dark cloud:)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well this really nice to see - players pretty much united in their disgust of this change.

However, as Al Rivera(the lead Dev) said in the last podcast several times - he considers all this forum stuff just lots of "Ranting" with no constructive feedback - so it's not worth his time.

So I think these changes are a done deal and not going back.

Show me the Money!

WHen people use words like "Disgusted by the change"... I think he may be right.

There is a way to communicate that the crafting system isn't great in a manner that isn't so overly emotional and potentially insulting.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Are you certain- there are people that sell Crafted gear stuff on the exchange. Some Ferengi sitting on a boat-load of dilithium just got rid of it so he could craft. And now he needs crafting mats. Sell it to him on the exchange.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We should replace all the other devs with clones of Tacofangs, Thomas, JamJamz, and Quack.

... and Zeronius Rex, she never gets enough credit, and she rules !
    edited July 2014
    WHen people use words like "Disgusted by the change"... I think he may be right.

There is a way to communicate that the crafting system isn't great in a manner that isn't so overly emotional and potentially insulting.

Well I used the word "disgusted" to sum up my opinion of what others have said. When a change is made with no warning or explanation, it is very hard to give feedback other than a gut reaction.

If someone gives you something - then walks up to you a few days later, takes it out of your hands and walks off and says nothing - how would you feel? Happy? Angry? confuse? irritated? Lost?

Would you not have and emotional reaction - especially if it looked like there was no recourse?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Research and Development:
    Resolved an issue which was allowing players to run multiple Research Training projects from the same school simultaneously.
    Only 1 Research Training project can be run at a time per school.

Put it back please.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Alright you know what? I think I'm going to tentatively predict that this is some sort of A: joke, or B: error. Because...this is way out of character for the devs. Yes, they've been known to add grind, but it's all been fairly garden-variety stuff, and while mildly annoying, perfectly reasonable. This is something else entirely. A matter of years? Will STO even be around in six years? And I don't mean that in a DOOOOMMM sense, just...six years is a long time, in computer and gaming terms. How long do MMOs usually last? (I should note, though, that I don't think the six years is quite correct. That's for levelling each school individually, as opposed to stacking different research projects to level various schools at the same time. Still, though.)

So, could be that this is just a mistake. Could also be some sort of joke, or prank. Another possibility is one that I doubt will be taken well, but I'll say anyway: I'm not really sure, and it's hard to tell, but I think the rage on the forums has been a bit worse than usual lately. Could be that the devs just got fed up enough to either play a rather mean prank, or fully intend to make this permanent but will probably revert it once they've calmed down.

Still though. If this is legitimate, it's...very odd.
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    *Kneels....

"Oh Great Bird of the Galaxy, deliver us from the evil that has arisen. Send the Mighty Dan to release us, his humble followers..."
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes it's legit and I don't think 6 years is correct. I think the current calculations might be around 1.5-2 years to level all 7 schools to level 20...that's running a 20 hour project every day and without using Dilithium or other projects.

Not only that but I think this "new" revamp to the R&D will see Dilithium prices go back down. The exchange was yesterday 1 Zen/158 Dilithium but I think people will be holding on to Dilithium more now after grinding it to put some into R&D. This will take a lot Dilithium off the exchange; meaning you won't get as much for 1 Zen.

So that $120.00 to level one school to 15 might even cost you more.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can someone do the math on how long it will take if someone spends 4 hours a day crafting items then slots the 20h.

That seems to me like it might be the most optimal since anything else will suffer schedule slip.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    6-9 months IMHO should be the time to master all schools before the dil instant finish button. There are just so many more practical ways to make crafting an enduring thing other than the current monstrosity.

The fact that this thread is barely a day old and already has almost 400 posts should be a giant flashing light to the devs even if there are trolls and childish rants. Anybody with a basic reading level can pick out the drivel from the constructive comments that could make the system better for all.
    HzLLhLB.gif