test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #29 - Exploration Cluster Removal

Comments

• saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Great, so instead of doing some, somewhat "random" missions that at least pretended to be exploration to gain materials and "fun" we are now forced to replay the same exact mission over and over again...

And this is an advancement in what way?

I would have loved if you at least have been honest with your intentions, that you just aren't up to the task to actually remake them with the "Quality" you want in the game and failed with the whole "Exploration" Theme completely instead of feeding us this Bull**** with the "Crafting Revamp" (that will undoubtedly a Pay for Pray System)...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, I always think it's a sad thing if game content is removed instead of being fixed or improved.
    Or at least most of the time. All the work that was put into it at one point (even if it's not that much) will be wasted. And more often than not, if a developer decides to replace a feature with something new or different, that replacement has it's own flaws.

So I really prefer tweaks, fixes and improvements.

You could've made the cluster maps bigger, you could've put in aggressive NPCs, you could've made the ground encounters a bit more complex and challenging.
    It's not mandatory content, so there's no reason not to make it harder.

Now it will just be less content than before. Sure, it doesn't really hurt, it wasn't important. But it's wasted potential none the less. Imho.
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    arcjet wrote: »
    Well, I always think it's a sad thing if game content is removed instead of being fixed or improved.
    This. Don't remove it until you're ready to replace it with something better.

No, foundry doors are not better than content.

No, "ready" doesn't mean you're discussing it or coming up with ideas.

This is a BAD idea, Cryptic, and addition by subtraction rarely is such.
  • plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With removal of exploration missions we are stuck with "high quality of content that Foundry authors continue to deliver"

I have no intention to play someones little adventure mission that last 30+ minutes and it is pointless to even play them at first place(my experience).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In order to replace these sources of Dilithium, we are looking at ways to add more Dilithium to rewards throughout the game, with a focus on adding it to rewards for single player content.
    I would like to see this explained in depth.

Cryptic used the dilithium mine to give fleets a discount, and the single-players were left out in the cold. Although I have tried to join a few fleets, I have always been comfortable as a single-player.

I want to spend money on zen, so I can put it towards c-store items.

I am tired of losing money while trying to meet dilithium requirements.
    The limitless nature of the potential missions that can be created using the Foundry as well as the high quality of content that Foundry authors continue to deliver are both exactly in line with the original goals of Exploration Clusters.
    I didn't sign up to play "Star Trek: Fan-Fiction".
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    I would like to see this explained in depth.

Cryptic used the dilithium mine to give fleets a discount, and the single-players were left out in the cold. Although I have tried to join a few fleets, I have always been comfortable as a single-player.

I want to spend money on zen, so I can put it towards c-store items.

I am tired of losing money while trying to meet dilithium requirements.

If you think about it differently, this is actually a boost to dilithium and exploration. You can probably max out your 8K dilithium cap with 3 cluster foundry missions (coupled with the IOR), plus a quiz at SFA.

So, prior, 3 cluster missions earned you 1440. Now 3 cluster missions will earn you at least 5000, if not closer to 7000.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    If you think about it differently, this is actually a boost to dilithium and exploration. You can probably max out your 8K dilithium cap with 3 cluster foundry missions (coupled with the IOR), plus a quiz at SFA.

So, prior, 3 cluster missions earned you 1440. Now 3 cluster missions will earn you at least 5000, if not closer to 7000.

I think the big problem with this idea is that, as you can plainly see, the people who want the Clusters back don't WANT to use the Foundry or the Foundry missions. To them, it's some person's fanfic.

If you want to get technical, though, STO is a fanfic, as well. The only canon accepted is anything on the small screen or the big screen.
    edited July 2014
    I think the big problem with this idea is that, as you can plainly see, the people who want the Clusters back don't WANT to use the Foundry or the Foundry missions. To them, it's some person's fanfic.

If you want to get technical, though, STO is a fanfic, as well. The only canon accepted is anything on the small screen or the big screen.

I don't get it though. It's like saying, "I want to earn less dilithium playing auto-generated random missions that are terrible. I don't want to earn more dilithium playing hand-crafted missions of exploration created by a real human being! The blender is making official content, not dumb fanfic! The blender is a dev! All hail the blender! And I don't care if the foundry is more powerful than the blender! All hail the blender!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Someone just make several minimal Foundry missions with different environments (for dil, second shelf to the left) that replicate the old random Exploration missions. Poof! Like magic, no one will notice the difference after the change.
    Greenbird
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I want clusters to stay but not because I don't want to use Foundry. I don't think it's ethically right for Cryptic to mandate content to come from players. Foundry will never be at the level to make feature episodes because it would require a more extensive Foundry feature set.

The biggest problem is Cryptic is going set a standard of content coming from players. There is a difference between players creating content for fun and players creating content because a company decides to remove content mandating players to make it. Basically, that's labor. Additionally, Foundry will not be compensated for the work put into making a episode.

Exploration is unpredictable, dangerous, and random. If that's the case, it shouldn't be open doors in sector map. It should be exploration clusters that opens up random foundry missions.

As for Foundry, I created content. I have several missions I made and recieved content but frankly I cannot make missions with random, unpredictable, and dangerous events. Also I cannot use ships thats not associated to any faction in game. I cannot create missions with several outcomes or affect a player progression So, I stopped making content. This video is made from Foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTUBc_H2m8

So, in all. This is a very very bad idea.

I prefer to fly around exploration space and stumble onto some unknown system and enter it, sometimes. Cryptic is simply taking that away.
    edited July 2014
    I want clusters to stay but not because I don't want to use Foundry. I don't think it's ethically right for Cryptic to mandate content to come from players. Foundry will never be at the level to make feature episodes because it would require a more extensive Foundry feature set.

The biggest problem is Cryptic is going set a standard of content coming from players. There is a difference between players creating content for fun and players creating content because a company decides to remove content mandating players to make it. Basically, that's labor. Additionally, Foundry will not be compensated for the work put into making a episode.

Exploration is unpredictable, dangerous, and random. If that's the case, it shouldn't be open doors in sector map. It should be exploration clusters that opens up random foundry missions.

As for Foundry, I created content. I have several missions I made and recieved content but frankly I cannot make missions with random, unpredictable, and dangerous events. Also I cannot use ships thats not associated to any faction in game. I cannot create missions with several outcomes or affect a player progression So, I stopped making content. This video is made from Foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTUBc_H2m8

So, in all. This is a very very bad idea.

I prefer to fly around exploration space and stumble onto some unknown system and enter it, sometimes. Cryptic is simply taking that away.

Every single mission you played in the exploration cluster is a shallow version what is possible to make with the foundry. Every single one, unless you include the replicator mechanic of delivering supplies. We can replicate that mission without making the player waste resources and just deliver some supplies. So maybe you are missing the randomness or something about which 5/5 things you need to do at which randomly generated place. But to say that the foundry is no match for exploration is like saying the Foundry can't be a substitute for a series of missions where the goal is to kill 5 of 5 ships, before scanning 5 of 5 plants, and topping it off by delivering supplies to an "unknown system" that knows all about the Federation.

"Random, unpredictable and dangerous events" were made by a blender that told you "go here, press f." We can do a lot more with triggers, optional objectives, etc.

Nothing in the exploration clusters that had "several outcomes or affect a player's progression." You got railroaded each and every time you entered that cluster mission. I think, as Foundry authors, we can do better than a blender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drebinfrankltdrebinfranklt Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You got railroaded each and every time you entered that cluster mission. Foundry authors can do better than a blender, I think.

Are you sure that foundry authors WILL make a damn lot of random missions for those clusters? The main thing in clusters now is unexpectable random encounter. Can we expect some kind of surprise from foundry missions for exploration clusters?
    edited July 2014
    Someone just make several minimal Foundry missions with different environments (for dil, second shelf to the left) that replicate the old random Exploration missions. Poof! Like magic, no one will notice the difference after the change.

The missions could be identical. That would be easy to do. But, our missions have to be about 20 minutes long, or you get no rewards. So, sorry, but the aid the planet ones just won't be replicated, unless you feel like doing something for nothing. We have to at least make a story or give you a bunch of ships to fight. You'll get at least as much dilithium from one of our missions as you did from 3 of the old exploration ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    Are you sure that foundry authors WILL make a damn lot of random missions for those clusters? The main thing in clusters now is unexpectable random encounter. Can we expect some kind of surprise from foundry missions for exploration clusters?

From my experience, you can expect a surprise from every mission that is set in an unexplored region, unless an author's description of their mission is this: "In my mission, the butler did it with the candlestick. Please play!"

Most missions now are full of unexpected encounters, plot twists, unexpected locations, etc. Stories are full of surprises, I mean actual surprises, unlike, "oh in this version I have to kill Gorn ships."

Stories are never very good without surprises.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I enjoyed the exploration clusters but I almost never played them because they took far too long to load. I won't miss them but I would rather see their load times decreased than see them disappear.

I never mined particles there, I used the DOFF missions and the asteroid mining rewards to get my particles so I won't miss them as a particle source either, but then I was never in a hurry to collect them.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
    edited July 2014
    Every single mission you played in the exploration cluster is a shallow version what is possible to make with the foundry. Every single one, unless you include the replicator mechanic of delivering supplies. We can replicate that mission without making the player waste resources and just deliver some supplies. So maybe you are missing the randomness or something or the lack of choice about which 5/5 things you need to do at which randomly generated place. But to say that the foundry is no match for exploration is like saying the Foundry can't be a substitute for a series of missions where the goal is to kill 5 of 5 ships, before scanning 5 of 5 plants, and topping it off by delivering supplies to an "unknown system" that knows all about the Federation.

"Random, unpredictable and dangerous events" were made by a blender that told you "go here, press f." We can do a lot more with triggers, optional objectives, etc.

Nothing in the exploration clusters that had "several outcomes or affect a player progression." You got railroaded each and every time you entered that cluster mission. I think, as Foundry authors, we can do better than a blender.

Hmmm. Also, going to a foundry mission that states a mission is random?

One mission I did is a example.

Omegas Prime - ST-HE4BHBDR7

The last part I have problems with because the situation can go smooth exploration to nightmare on hell. I would like to do a alien faction but can't because the space map is dynamic and triggers. It doesn't work.

I would like to be able to say.

1 . Scan debris and get 3 response from a BOFF. Choose between 3 options which creates 3 situations.
    2. Depending on the situation the map changes with several different possible outcomes.
    3. Then based on the new situations you have maybe 2 additional situations that occur but you have to get back t situation 1 (While dealing with the other situations)

Then if you just happen to get to the runabout to scan, a gateway appears.

Now, depending on all the situations and outcomes, one or several possible outcomes.

1. Alien race with borg traits.
    2. Alien race with eleachi traits.
    3. If you are good enougth you get alien race with both traits or race that switch traits between (Borg, Elachi, Romulan).

Then you if you last long enougth.

4. A huge support dreadnought appears!
    edited July 2014
    Hmmm. Also, going to a foundry mission that states a mission is random?

One mission I did is a example.

Omegas Prime - ST-HE4BHBDR7

The last part I have problems with because the situation can go smooth exploration to nightmare on hell. I would like to do a alien faction but can't because the space map is dynamic and triggers. It doesn't work.

I would like to be able to say.

1 . Scan debris and get 3 response from a BOFF. Choose between 3 options which creates 3 situations.
    2. Depending on the situation the map changes with several different possible outcomes.
    3. Then based on the new situations you have maybe 2 additional situations that occur but you have to get back t situation 1 (While dealing with the other situations)

Then if you just happen to get to the runabout to scan, a gateway appears.

Now, depending on all the situations and outcomes, one or several possible outcomes.

1. Alien race with borg traits.
    2. Alien race with eleachi traits.
    3. If you are good enougth you get alien race with both traits or race that switch traits between (Borg, Elachi, Romulan).

Then you if you last long enougth.

4. A huge support dreadnought appears!

It's a little difficult to truly understand what you're trying to do and what is possible, but ALL OF THAT sounds incredibly more advanced than anything I've ever encountered in an exploration cluster. Dialog prompt triggers, other triggers, optional objectives, mob timers, etc. etc. You could even let the player make many of the decisions that affect who and what they fight as well as where they have to go, in some ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The problem is not that people play the content or play the foundry or not is because they are removing something from the game rather than replacing it with something else they are just wallpapering it with the Foundry. I very rarely play the foundry because a lot of the missions that were there was just ones that were just item spawns and I couldnt find any good mission or there was just press f through loads and loads of dialouge. It even stopped me from even wanting to create my own mission as I had a good idea but the limitations we have would make my story impossible to do but I digress.

They should not remove something without replacing it in the game has lackluster content in a majority of the game and all they had to do was improve it with more exploration rather then saying. stuff them we don't want them to get particles there anymore lets remove it and so they don't complain we make the nebulas foundry doors.

Season 9.5 seems to me to be more about crafting and removing things from the game. the way things are going they will be removing all content until the game is just one grind mission
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    The problem is not that people play the content or play the foundry or not is because they are removing something from the game rather than replacing it with something else they are just wallpapering it with the Foundry. I very rarely play the foundry because a lot of the missions that were there was just ones that were just item spawns and I couldnt find any good mission or there was just press f through loads and loads of dialouge. It even stopped me from even wanting to create my own mission as I had a good idea but the limitations we have would make my story impossible to do but I digress.

They should not remove something without replacing it in the game has lackluster content in a majority of the game and all they had to do was improve it with more exploration rather then saying. stuff them we don't want them to get particles there anymore lets remove it and so they don't complain we make the nebulas foundry doors.

Season 9.5 seems to me to be more about crafting and removing things from the game. the way things are going they will be removing all content until the game is just one grind mission

The way I think about it: They are replacing a bunch of missions made with a very limited tool that creates linear missions of go kill 5/5 or go scan 5/5 with missions created by a much more powerful tool that gives you stories and actual content not generated by a blender. You can call that "wallpapering," or you could become excited. Personally, I am excited about what people will do to make these clusters more than a bunch of auto-generated nonsense that is dumb content. But that is me. It might help you to know that the clusters are basically tripling your rewards for putting up with them.

Yes, it's hard to find what is out there. I'm not sure you'll find what is out there, given that in a few months a search for "Delta Volanis" will give you the same top 50 missions, some of which will probably be exploits. That is if you know how to search the clunky UI. Please continue to complain, if you can't find what is actually out there to play with Foundry. Authors have been complaining for 2 years about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    the way things are going they will be removing all content until the game is just one grind mission

That's my favorite part about the folks defending this removal of content. They slough it off like it's no big loss, and yet spend most of their time in game running the same 4 year old STFs arguing about DPS parses in the same old ships with the same old builds they've been using forever.

This content was shallow, but continually a little bit different.

ISE is the EXACT same now as it was last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thinking about it, I can't even figure out why Foundry authors would even care about this move.

All they are getting is some new 'Foundry doors'; there's never been anything stopping them just starting a mission off somewhere else, then warping to the mission map with 'We've arrived in the B'tran Cluster' announced in the game dialogue. In practical terms, they've never needed these doors to make exploration themed missions.

It certainly doesn't help those of us who like the clusters; but I don't see how it helps the Foundry crowd all that much either.

Of course, I am biased; since I don't get why anyone would seriously support this move anyway.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wow, the exploration cluster were trash generated by a blender. At least something like no-win-scenario had a human designer, although it's also trash content.

Considering the Foundry's botched implementation , repeted screwups , toilet like UI , promises for "just over the next hill" updates and general dedication to by Cryptic ... -- I'd not be in such a hurry to poo-poo Cryptic's other content , as you're likely to end up with very little in the end .

If anything , I see this as the Foundry's last chance to prove itself , as it seems it's been judged unfit to populate a new sector block by itself -- as it was supposed to to at one point .
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The limitless nature of the potential missions that can be created using the Foundry as well as the high quality of content that Foundry authors continue to deliver are both exactly in line with the original goals of Exploration Clusters.
    Hypothetically speaking...

If the clusters are being replaced by foundry missions, Cryptic is now obligated, by law, to pay foundry authors for content generation. Average hourly rate for content generation is $75 an hour. Since this particular service replaces an in-house employee, the foundry authors that are hired are now considered sub-contractors. United States laws states that sub-contractors are responsible for paying taxes; therefore, foundry authors will need to file quarterly tax returns. If Cryptic refuses to pay foundry authors, the players can now sue Cryptic for slave labor.

As a result of Cryptic making these changes, the work players generate will no longer be done by an in-house employee. Instead of hiring one of the millions that are unemployed, people who need to put food on the table, Cryptic has decided to ask players to generate content for free. Other words, Cryptic should hire a few unemployed people, so they can help people feed their families.

Do you now see why replacing clusters with foundry missions is a bad idea?

Someone in the company usually gets paid to generate content. When Cryptic uses players to fill in the void, they are taking away the possibility of hiring a new employee. Its that simple.

Since Cryptic will be using foundry missions to generate revenue, I suggest players do not give away their services without compensation.

edited July 2014

If the clusters are being replaced by foundry missions, Cryptic is now obligated, by law, to pay foundry authors for content generation. Average hourly rate for content generation is $75 an hour. Since this particular service replaces an in-house employee, the foundry authors that are hired are now considered sub-contractors. United States laws states that sub-contractors are responsible for paying taxes; therefore, foundry authors will need to file quarterly tax returns. If Cryptic refuses to pay foundry authors, the players can now sue Cryptic for slave labor.

As a result of Cryptic making these changes, the work players generate will no longer be done by an in-house employee. Instead of hiring one of the millions that are unemployed, people who need to put food on the table, Cryptic has decided to ask players to generate content for free. Other words, Cryptic should hire a few unemployed people, so they can help people feed their families.

Someone in the company usually gets paid to generate content. When Cryptic uses players to fill in the void, they are taking away the possibility of hiring a new employee. Its that simple.

Since Cryptic will be using foundry missions to generate revenue, I suggest players do not give away their services without compensation.

Let's be even more hypothetical.

If I am Cryptic and the company got maybe 50 players to develop content for the game for free. Why not lay-off or fire 10 paid salaried developers? That saves probably a good $650,000 a year and the company gain $650,000 in profit or above from players which doesn't have to go into game development.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Are you kidding me?! Please tell me you're kidding me.

You're not, are you?

...y'know, I was going to make a post rebutting that, but the logic that went into that post both confuses and infuriates me so much that I'm not.

Seriously, you people are the most paranoid bunch I've ever met.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They should pay people for missions that are deemed good enough to be spotlighted.

Also they should hire some actual writers for the featured episodes and other new content they make whenever that happens next.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    They should pay people for missions that are deemed good enough to be spotlighted.

They do. With quatloos.

And the players can tip the authors with dilithium.

Win Win!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    They do. With quatloos.

And the players can tip the authors with dilithium.

Win Win!

I so think players should now get compensation that match real life compensation. At minimum 64k dilthium.

Then 10000 zen if spotlighted.
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally, I'd like to hope that the Exploration clusters will be reintroduced into the game at some point. Preferably once the engine has been tweaked and the possible stories available are adjusted. Star Trek is about exploration, and the Clusters were a half way decent attempt at recreating that atmosphere.

Sure, how many times have we had to stop the Borg from tearing up a small colony because they're looking for artifacts from their fourth dynasty? The engine just needed minor tweaks and some of the possible options removed.

Cluster exploration was great for Role Play groups, now we have to resort to digging through foundry missions to find something appropriate. Not ideal, but, okay.
  • avastanavastan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So who was the dev that had a bad case of missing brain ? :confused:

How can something that is in the game "lowers its quality" ?

The "quality" of the "good missions" is the same, the same awful ground combat and animations and the plot does not really improve, as for space combat its good to have a diffrent enemy once in a while.

It was goo to log do a couple of cluster missions without strings attached "Bloddy go where no Klingon have made bleed before...

The missions are all the same once you have played once, here at least you didnt know what to expect.

Another expert move :(
This discussion has been closed.