test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #29 - Exploration Cluster Removal

xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Thank you cryptic, at least you made foundry doors....

But you better restore exploration before the hate grows.
Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
Post edited by xxxseadog117xxx on

Comments

• Options
    cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "For those who will miss the opportunity to explore these particular locations, we will be adding doors to the Foundry so that player-created missions can make use of these settings. The limitless nature of the potential missions that can be created using the Foundry as well as the high quality of content that Foundry authors continue to deliver are both exactly in line with the original goals of Exploration Clusters."

Long overdue and welcome addition :D
    Foundry Enthusiast
    Machinima Person
    Did some things back in the day

Now a Games Developer and Researcher
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For those who will miss the opportunity to explore these particular locations, we will be adding doors to the Foundry so that player-created missions can make use of these settings.

This... is actually a really elegant solution. I like it. I mean, it's not a substitute for procedurally-generated missions, but I'm sure you (Cryptic) will need time to make a new exploration system anyway. (You are still making a new system, right?)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Farewell Third Borg Dynasty. You will be missed. :(
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Star Trek MMO without an exploration system is not Star Trek. Implementing a Foundry system to the Season 9.5 version would just be a bandaid fix and we would need a decent Exploration system ASAP.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With all the updates to Season 9.5 on the way, Lead Content Designer, Charles Gray discusses the upcoming changes to Exploration Clusters in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just don't see how removing the cluster mat farm and daily improves the quality if the game when there is no replacement.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Brace yourselves, cries of doom inbound!

*raises shields*
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Heres to hoping missions we keep running over and over for the rep grind in PVE will be among those missions selected as awarding dilithium ;)

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Brace yourselves, cries of doom inbound!

*raises shields*

We're going to need a bigger boat! :eek:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When going to a cluster/nebula/etc, one had the option to check both the Current Map and the Operations Department Head for certain DOFF missions. Because you were actually in a different "sector" map, the options for the Ops Head reflected the possibility of getting a DOFF mission for that Current Map that might not be available from the Current Map list. Basically, you got two rolls/chances for it to be there.

With the cluster/nebula now part of the standard sector block instead of its own sector, is this something that is planned on being maintained - or - will Ops Heads just pull from the normal sector block list and thus not provide that additional opportunity for those particular DOFF missions.

My apologies if this has already been answered. I remember it being brought up as an issue, but I do not recall any answer.

Thank you.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, I don't like it, and I hope that there's a major overhaul on the horizon.

ATTN Devs, Trendy, Smirk, anyone: Can you confirm that Expansion 2 will contain a revamped exploration system?
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While I appreciate the developers desire to remove substandard content, I feel that removing content like this forces players into repeating the same handful of queued missions, increasing player burnout, and only serves to make the game feel smaller and more linear. That's a terrible thing for an MMO.

You're only making the game smaller and less an MMO.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    How did a non-Community Manager post a thread in here, let alone before Trendy?
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While I appreciate the developers desire to remove substandard content, I feel that removing content like this forces players into repeating the same handful of queued missions, increasing player burnout, and only serves to make the game feel smaller and more linear. That's a terrible thing for an MMO.

You're only making the game smaller and less an MMO.

This. In full.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Foundry door? That's what it's being reduced to?

This is a solution to nothing! The Foundry has been there all along for anyone who wanted to use it. I won't deny it could do with being made more accessible, but that should not come at the expense of any other feature of the game; especially one as important to the theme of Star Trek as exploration.

Besides, I thought the clusters were being removed because of quality issues. You guys think leaving it to Foundry authors is going to do anything to fix that? Or do you just not care since Foundry missions can't be used to farm materials?

If there was a problem with the clusters, then you needed to fix the clusters; not do away with them and not even bother replacing them. :mad:
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Should have removed pvp instead. :(
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I may be compelled now to actually go for the exploration accolades since they are tracked by doff missions.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thread merge; this started off in the crafting blog thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Those first posts were in the larger sticky thread before being moved down here. They were made before this thread, so they appear before Trendy's post.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    When going to a cluster/nebula/etc, one had the option to check both the Current Map and the Operations Department Head for certain DOFF missions. Because you were actually in a different "sector" map, the options for the Ops Head reflected the possibility of getting a DOFF mission for that Current Map that might not be available from the Current Map list. Basically, you got two rolls/chances for it to be there.

With the cluster/nebula now part of the standard sector block instead of its own sector, is this something that is planned on being maintained - or - will Ops Heads just pull from the normal sector block list and thus not provide that additional opportunity for those particular DOFF missions.

My apologies if this has already been answered. I remember it being brought up as an issue, but I do not recall any answer.

Thank you.
    That sounds like an exploit, which is probably part of the reason these clusters were removed.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Well, I don't like it, and I hope that there's a major overhaul on the horizon.

ATTN Devs, Trendy, Smirk, anyone: Can you confirm that Expansion 2 will contain a revamped exploration system?

Unfortunately, They won't be able to say anything about expansion 2 until the NDA that Smirk and Trendy are under is finally lifted. That's basically what keeps them from saying too much about The day will come when Smirk and Trendy will be able to open those floodgates and tell us what's in store.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That sounds like an exploit, which is probably part of the reason these clusters were removed.

This is how it works on all sector space maps, though...
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To add in my own 0.2 EC; the fact that dilithium requirements increase with every new addition to the game (Fleet Starbases, Embassies, Mines and Spires - Omega, Nukara, New Rom, DJC and now 8472 Reps - Kit modules, etc.) and one of the primary sources of in-game dilithium is being removed seems...

Counter-productive, simply. Especially considering that the whole "Add Dil rewards to storyline missions" concept from a few years back - something that would probably counteract part of the negative response to the Exploration Cluster removal - never came to pass.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Once again, devs team decide and imposes it's decision to us.

how will we be able to get the cluster doff assignement ?

always bad choices to reduces the pleasure of playing
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • Options
    juniortrussjuniortruss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I personally am sad about the removal of these exploration systems. I really liked doing the daily there for dilithium. Even though it was a crude system, istill liked that it was a somewhat random experience each time you entered a new system. I think that we are going to need a replacement for the exploration sectors pretty fast. While its not a deal breaker for me (though it is really sad) Other players who aren't as committed to STO might get angry enough to stop logging in. I really think the best thing is to make sure we get a replacement fo this sytem. Expansion 2 would be good. Any later and I think a lot of players start dropping off. Anyway, thanks for the great game and hard work Cryptic guys. And thanks for reading these posts and taking advice from the players.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's a shame these are going.

When I was new to the game, I spent a lot of time in them. I liked the randomness of the missions (even though there were only a small handful).

If each season, just one new type had been added to the pot I think they would have been more popular.

I hope we get to see a re-imagined version sometime in the future.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm 100% against the removal of Star Cluster content, regardless of its actual quality.

You're removing a substantial portion of PvE content without introducing ANYTHING in its place. Your only excuse is "steadily improving quality of mission content available throughout STO", which is true only if you consider the fact that this content consists of a couple of Feature Episodes a year and a bunch of repetitive queued missions people are mostly grinding for Marks. Oh, and a couple of battlezones that drop your framerate to single digits even on high end rigs.

With S9,5 you're not even introducing a single new mission. The whole thing seems to revolve solely around new crafting and shiny stuff behind timers, paywalls and RNG. I can't wait to see how you'll market this joke on a trailer...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the release of Season 9.5, the Star Trek Online team is continuing with our commitment to improve the overall quality of the game for all players

Soooo .... removal of Crafting Revamp ... sooon ?
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Should have scrap PVP and Crafting, both of which are largely unused and certainly unlove and both have had multiple overhauls and devoted the time wasted on those, on building a better exploration system which is the whole point of star trek and should be bases of any star trek game.

Considering the hype No Mans Sky is creating you can't claim exploration doesn't sell games.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    I'm 100% against the removal of Star Cluster content, regardless of its actual quality.

You're removing a substantial portion of PvE content without introducing ANYTHING in its place. Your only excuse is "steadily improving quality of mission content available throughout STO", which is true only if you consider the fact that this content consists of a couple of Feature Episodes a year and a bunch of repetitive queued missions people are mostly grinding for Marks. Oh, and a couple of battlezones that drop your framerate to single digits even on high end rigs.

With S9,5 you're not even introducing a single new mission. The whole thing seems to revolve solely around new crafting and shiny stuff behind timers, paywalls and RNG. I can't wait to see how you'll market this joke on a trailer...
    Two words.

Expansion Two.

Plus Season 8.5 didn't get a Trailer, this won't either. There are no paywalls either unless you call Diltihium paywalls.
This discussion has been closed.