test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim Wear Seen Off Risa

Comments

• habitshabits Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Heck, since disco balls provide a combat boost maybe Cryptic will provide a combat BONUS to people wearing swimwear, making them superior to uniforms.

Fleet Swimwear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Exitus Acta Probat
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wait.... discoballs providing combat boost? I feel like I have missed something important.
    It's what EPtP does. It makes disco balls give you a dodge bonus.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wait.... discoballs providing combat boost? I feel like I have missed something important.

One of the new risian doffs makes the party balls give a dodge boost for x amount of time to anyone dancing under them.
    I need a beer.

edited June 2014
    Btw, any word on how the dentals are getting the swimwear off of risa?
    PM if you don't want to post it here!
    I need a beer.

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Btw, any word on how the dentals are getting the swimwear off of risa?
    PM if you don't want to post it here!

love to know this as well just went to my ship esd starfleet academy and no luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My major annoyance here is that I can't make Starfleet issue wet suits for my Fed and his crew.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One of the new risian doffs makes the party balls give a dodge boost for x amount of time to anyone dancing under them.

Oh dear. Oh my I don't believe it's healthy to laugh as hard as I just did.
    edited June 2014

I know right? I had a bit of a giggle when I saw it too! :D

Where before it was just a harmless bit of fun, now it's something that actually gives a small buff. I'm not that enthused by this to be honest. It's just going to spread and before even more prevalent, causing yet more (and louder) rage from those who have raged about disco bombs already. Eventually, I see that rage giving cryptic a causus belli to go *YOINK* and take out what is a harmless bit of fun.

God, that is not a readable paragraph I just wrote :(
    I need a beer.

• spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Where before it was just a harmless bit of fun, now it's something that actually gives a small buff. I'm not that enthused by this to be honest. It's just going to spread and before even more prevalent, causing yet more (and louder) rage from those who have raged about disco bombs already. Eventually, I see that rage giving cryptic a causus belli to go *YOINK* and take out what is a harmless bit of fun.

It's the devs way of Trolling all the ground players by proxy : if they want the buff - someone has to let off a Disco ball - then they have to dance for a bit before going off to fight! TOO FUNNY!:eek::P
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are any of those human skintones because then we have a problem.

If not, well, this game isn't rated by the ESRB, there's nothing showing, and there were aliens/androids on the shows that looked like that too (remember Lal?). It's still only about as "naked" as Bugs Bunny is.

Buy, hey, we can assume Dental favors swimsuits everywhere since they're wearing them everywhere. And what Dental wants, Dental gets from the developers.

So while I'd ordinarily say this gets patched, if Dental, Nerds of Prey, and ShutUp Wesley are parading around Drozana in swimwear, we'll probably get to keep that option.

Heck, since disco balls provide a combat boost (sorry, I'm still reeling over that), maybe Cryptic will provide a combat BONUS to people wearing swimwear, making them superior to uniforms.

Yes actually they are.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Oh yes it's stupid and all, but honestly, seeing all those perv inventing the most dumb excuses to have bikinis outside Risa, and not say the truth (IE see half naked girls), is so much fun !

That's more than just avoiding an immersion break, but more to avoid turning ESD into a red light district.

To equate the wearing of a bikini with sexual license (much less "perversion") is to make an assertion which is not supported by any evidence. To take it further and claim that the wearing of a bikini will lead to prostitution? Your logical fallacy is Slippery Slope.

In fact, this sounds to me a lot like saying "I see scantily clad female and lust, so scantily clad female is responsible for anything that happens," and "Women's bodies cause 'impure' thoughts in men, so they must be wrapped up from head to toe at all times." Guess what? Your thoughts are your own responsibility.
    edited June 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    To equate the wearing of a bikini with sexual license (much less "perversion") is to make an assertion which is not supported by any evidence. To take it further and claim that the wearing of a bikini will lead to prostitution? Your logical fallacy is Slippery Slope.

In fact, this sounds to me a lot like saying "I see scantily clad female and lust, so scantily clad female is responsible for anything that happens," and "Women's bodies cause 'impure' thoughts in men, so they must be wrapped up from head to toe at all times." Guess what? Your thoughts are your own responsibility.

Ah yes the "She was asking for it" defense.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014
    peter1z9 wrote: »

how exactly do people do this?

maybe send me a pm?=)
    edited June 2014

Maybe I've slipped into an alternate universe or something, but didn't Cryptic make the use of the disco ball in a combat zone impossible last year, because they were not intended to be used in combat zones? And now they can be used in combat zones again, by design? :rolleyes:
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014

How to put words in my mouth I've never said : lesson one.

Ok, let's start with some facts you'll probably dismiss. Most women characters that will wear skimpy clothes and bikinis are not really female IRL. Guess what ? The vast majority of them are male. And many of them already have the boob sliders to the maximum.
    Why do they do that ? For rping some huge TRIBBLE explorers caught off guard in a bikini ? Or more because they are male and really like half naked girls ?

Sure, a few of them are not this kind of person. Some of them might even be women that are not TRIBBLE (and thus just as interested in the half naked women than the others). And I truly apologize for them.

Just like all those Orion crew in full bikinis, probably just a fascination for the Orion, especially the female, and simply forget to make male BOFF.

As for the BS about impure thoughts and all that, I'm not christian/religious, I don't care about having sex before wedding, gays/TRIBBLE doesn't offend me, and I'm not virgin. I think I'm pretty much a good guy in the end. Also, on a side note, I really like naked women.
    I simply respect women (I know it's weird), and think they are more than just TRIBBLE with legs. And I doesn't like having women character roaming half naked around, so some geek can live his personal fantasy.
    You should see the kind of RP there is sometimes in Drozana. These kind of people would love to use bikinis. But the only exploration they RP is not in space, if you catch my meaning.

Also, I strongly believe it's wrong for an organization like starfleet to have their own people running around in bikinis while doing their job.
    So yeah, I fully support bikinis on risa, as long as male have equivalent, and I support them in holodeck/bridge and places were it make sense. But not elsewhere.

Now, you can show me canon and whatnot, but I don't remember any SF officer wearing bikini while doing his/her duty, unless they were caught off guard.

On a totally unrelated note, aren't you one of the people that want an option to toggle off/remove the dance effect from the disco ball ? Because it doesn't make sense to call for freedom on one topic, and argue to limit it on another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On a totally unrelated note, aren't you one of the people that want an option to toggle off/remove the dance effect from the disco ball ? Because it doesn't make sense to call for freedom on one topic, and argue to limit it on another.

Don't you see? It's only about their freedom to make you play your assigned role in their little drama.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe I've slipped into an alternate universe or something, but didn't Cryptic make the use of the disco ball in a combat zone impossible last year, because they were not intended to be used in combat zones? And now they can be used in combat zones again, by design? :rolleyes:
    The way the DOFF works is you must "dance under the effect of a party amp for at least 10 seconds to receive a bonus to dodge and avoidance for 5 minutes". So, you can set on off in the center command of the Voth Ground Invasion Zone, dance for ten seconds, then take your space shotgun and shoot space dinosaurs in the face for five minutes. Then repeat. No need to activate it during combat. It would be interesting to know if /movereset prevents you from gaining the buff.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Yeah. I assumed EPtP might open up some emotes or be another cosmetic disco ball type thing.

But when I saw that it actually encourages using it in combat environments, I think I half-expected Trendy to announce that Ashton Kutcher was the new Executive Producer on STO.

I was mentally prepared for another social toy or immersion tweaker for social zones but I wasn't at all prepared for disco balls to become ESSENTIAL to minmaxed ground combat by providing a unique buff.

You are not playing at full potential in Star Trek Online unless you are disco dancing through Borg alcoves.

It's like making giant chicken mount go 2% faster than any other mount in WoW or like making Unglued cards legal in high end Magic tournaments. Imagine the response to the following: "SURPRISE! The new Batman Arkham game will only let you get the best ending if you play the JLApe Gorilla Batman costume!"
    edited June 2014
    Yeah. I assumed EPtP might open up some emotes or be another cosmetic disco ball type thing.

But when I saw that it actually encourages using it in combat environments, I think I half-expected Trendy to announce that Ashton Kutcher was the new Executive Producer on STO.

I was mentally prepared for another social toy or immersion tweaker for social zones but I wasn't at all prepared for disco balls to become ESSENTIAL to minmaxed ground combat by providing a unique buff.

You are not playing at full potential in Star Trek Online unless you are disco dancing through Borg alcoves.

It's like making giant chicken mount go 2% faster than any other mount in WoW or like making Unglued cards legal in high end Magic tournaments. Imagine the response to the following: "SURPRISE! The new Batman Arkham game will only let you get the best ending if you play the JLApe Gorilla Batman costume!"

That's the most hilarious thing about it. It just highlights the bizarre double standards the we have here. Controlling a biological ship not designed for this universe? Okay. Cruel superweapons? Okay. Crew members that are culturally impossible? Okay. Magic spontaneously appearing discoballs that grant superpowers through the power of dance? Okay. Speedos? MAAAAAADNESS!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's the most hilarious thing about it. It just highlights the bizarre double standards the we have here. Controlling a biological ship not designed for this universe? Okay. Cruel superweapons? Okay. Crew members that are culturally impossible? Okay. Magic spontaneously appearing discoballs that grant superpowers through the power of dance? Okay. Speedos? MAAAAAADNESS!

A part of me thinks we should see if we can't get Tim Russ to crowdfund and produce a fan film that is mechanically accurate to how STO works.

If STO can't reflect the shows then we should at least get an outrageously surreal movie about a Starfleet crew in a stolen Undine ship who disco dance their way through a fight against a tyrannosaurus in tuxedos.

I've said before, I'd buy the crud out of an IDW STO comic because if it tried to reflect the game while giving the characters believable psychological storyarcs, it would be absolute insanity. Somebody pitch Van Citters and Chris Ryall on this, PLEASE. I think Peter David could handle this with exactly the correct level of snark.
  • rogerveerogervee Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    Honestly I hear a lot of RPers complain about the prospect of people wearing the suits of Risa. Now myself I and a PVPer/PVEer. I find the story lines insulting and chock full of B actors who are in dire need of a paycheck. I despise shon and feel he should have been drummed out of starfleet for the sheer fact he lost 3-4 ships and hundreds of crew, but instead got affirmative action assigned as the captain of the enterprise (btw, what makes this smurf think he can bark orders or talk down to a Vice Admiral?) Not to mention we are tortured by the voice acting of Micheal Dorn, the Captain obvious Tuvok, and Denise Crosby.

But I digress.

RPers want to be respected and left alone to RP with other RPers. This is a Two way street. If your imagination can create an immersive environment to do that in this game especially on drozana, then I am surely certain you can blank out and ignore a caitian hopping around in a bikini, and not get intimidated or made to feel inferior by a gorn running around in a pair of speedos.

In short, your a minority, let it be, If people want to wear whatever off risa, then so be it. Minorities complaining hard core full time about anything gets you no where. Look at the KDF, pandered too for 2 years, they still complained, then got ignored for a year and a half. And got their OP consoles doled out to the feds for less than a million per in some instances.
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    how exactly do people do this?

maybe send me a pm?=)

weird, so it doesn't just work for everyone? lol. All I did was transport. And make a post about it. Wow, 12 pages later this discussion is still going? Didn't see the big deal just thought it was funny.

Thought maybe its a KDF bug. Like how my Orion also lost her "Loincloth" and has been running around without it since they changed the tailor options awhile ago.
    No way I'd buy one for another toon at those prices, but planned to get one just because.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    People do it because the swimwear is new; they want to see if it works outside; also doing it "defies the will of the gods".

WorldViewShaking news!
    There are other games out there with unrestricted swimwear and People don't wear it! Maybe a few odd ones might wear it all the time but thats it. Why? Its not a "forbidden fruit" where everybody and his virgin eyes makes a drama about.

All this effort to restrict the swimwear is a waste of money on multiple levels. It had cost precious dev time which could have been spend somewhere more useful (I heard you at Cryptic where all sad because of no LuxureLiner interior) and players are less eager to open wallets because of the restrictions.

And no, it not the few odd ones who would wear it all the time wich are less eager to get them all. Everybody probably has her/his own reasons. I for one woul love to be unrestricted so I could switch to the more appropriate swimwear on foundry mission playing on a beach.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014
    weird, so it doesn't just work for everyone? lol. All I did was transport. And make a post about it. Wow, 12 pages later this discussion is still going? Didn't see the big deal just thought it was funny.

Thought maybe its a KDF bug. Like how my Orion also lost her "Loincloth" and has been running around without it since they changed the tailor options awhile ago.
    No way I'd buy one for another toon at those prices, but planned to get one just because.

As you can see many peopel can do this but no one want to share the secret..lol

in the chat channel i am people said "maybe its a clienside hack" but who knows...

im still trying to wear my bikini atleast on my ship :O

EDIT:

2 people told me in /tells its working on their KDF / KDF alligned toons but not on feds.
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2014

in the chat channel i am people said "maybe its a clienside hack" but who knows...

EDIT:

2 people told me in /tells its working on their KDF / KDF alligned toons but not on feds.

Then, PLEASE Powers that be, leave it alone for awhile so the KDF side gets more players. This could be the one bug to help that out. lol.
    "OMG, if I run a Klink I can run around in a Bikini!, Wahoo."
    No doubt my rom looks better in that then my Orion, simply because of the odd Orion Skin colors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014

If I can't get Picard Speedos, Can I at LEAST hire Centersolance's Signature as a non combat pet. :)
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited June 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If I can't get Picard Speedos, Can I at LEAST hire Centersolance's Signature as a non combat pet. :)

Hey now....
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014

EDIT:

"Click here to learn one simple trick a single mom discovered to smuggle your swimsuit off of Risa! RPists hate it!"
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
    edited June 2014
    How to put words in my mouth I've never said : lesson one.

Ok, let's start with some facts you'll probably dismiss. Most women characters that will wear skimpy clothes and bikinis are not really female IRL. Guess what ? The vast majority of them are male. And many of them already have the boob sliders to the maximum.
    Why do they do that ? For rping some huge TRIBBLE explorers caught off guard in a bikini ? Or more because they are male and really like half naked girls ?

Sure, a few of them are not this kind of person. Some of them might even be women that are not TRIBBLE (and thus just as interested in the half naked women than the others). And I truly apologize for them.

Just like all those Orion crew in full bikinis, probably just a fascination for the Orion, especially the female, and simply forget to make male BOFF.

First, what you said:
    "honestly, seeing all those perv inventing the most dumb excuses to have bikinis outside Risa, and not say the truth (IE see half naked girls), is so much fun !

"That's more than just avoiding an immersion break, but more to avoid turning ESD into a red light district."

You characterized all who want to wear bikinis off Risa as "perverts," motivated by a desire to "see half naked girls." Then you went further and suggested that the result of freedom would be "a red light district." I don't have to put words in your mouth. The words you used are clear enough to anyone who pays attention.

Second, I'm a woman. I know several other women who share my views. My sexuality has nothing to do with my desire for freedom of choice. All of my characters' TRIBBLE are rather small, but not so small that they cannot be seen. Again, my sexuality has nothing to do with this; I wanted my characters to look as much like me as possible, but with a slightly larger bust. Now having finally seen one of my characters in a string bikini, I realize her bust is probably actually about the same size as my own, and so I failed to make it any bigger.

Third, you have made several assumptions for which you do not have sufficient evidence to proclaim them as fact.
    As for the BS about impure thoughts and all that, I'm not christian/religious, I don't care about having sex before wedding, gays/TRIBBLE doesn't offend me, and I'm not virgin. I think I'm pretty much a good guy in the end. Also, on a side note, I really like naked women.
    I simply respect women (I know it's weird), and think they are more than just TRIBBLE with legs. And I doesn't like having women character roaming half naked around, so some geek can live his personal fantasy.
    You should see the kind of RP there is sometimes in Drozana. These kind of people would love to use bikinis. But the only exploration they RP is not in space, if you catch my meaning.

I've been to Drozana. I used to go there quite a lot, because it had (and still has) the best layout for everything I need/want to do (apart from a ship customization NPC and a few other such needs), all very close together (unlike running all over the First City or all around ESD; heck, even New Romulus Command isn't as compact in this regard as Drozana Station). However, I've only ever seen blatant simulation of ERP on the station 2 or 3 times (and one of those times, two of the three people involved were members of one of those fleets which claims to be the moral police on Drozana -- and yes, I have a screenie of this somewhere, but posting it here, or naming names, would be considered an infraction, so of course I'm not going to do that). Then came the dancing griefer balls, which the self-proclaimed guardians of decency began to use to prevent players from using the Nerve Tonic Dance. Then came the unmelting snowballs which the same people used for the same purpose. Then came the growth of my fleet and the advancement of our holdings. Now I spend more time on my fleet starbase than Drozana, First City, or even New Romulus Command. It's not as convenient as Drozana, things are more spread out, but I don't have to put up with any hypocrites pretending to be morally outraged if I decide to do the Nerve Tonic Dance, nor will I be subjected to their griefer toys used to stop me doing that dance.
    Also, I strongly believe it's wrong for an organization like starfleet to have their own people running around in bikinis while doing their job.
    So yeah, I fully support bikinis on risa, as long as male have equivalent, and I support them in holodeck/bridge and places were it make sense. But not elsewhere.

I don't have any problem with male characters wearing swimsuits off Risa, either.
    Now, you can show me canon and whatnot, but I don't remember any SF officer wearing bikini while doing his/her duty, unless they were caught off guard.

I don't care if it's canon or not. It's a question of personal freedom.

Except, being able to NOT be made to actively participate in something I don't want to do is freedom. I want to do the Nerve Tonic Dance. I'm doing it. Some goon derp comes along and hurls a Disco Ball at me. The result is that my dance stops and I start doing the dance mix that the disco ball effects. That's taking my freedom from me. Surely you can see this to be the same issue for me, and hardly inconsistent with my position on bikinis off Risa. Succinctly: I want my characters to be able to do wihat I want them to do, not be forced to do what someone else wants them to do, nor forced to not do what someone else wants them to not do.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wow, plently of whine flowing around in this thread. I better go get some cheese. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg