test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim Wear Seen Off Risa

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    love the bikini what ive been wanting for a long long time but to bad i can only use it on risa a planet i dont go to because one i do RP and two dont care for carnival events

btw when is formal wear going to get restricted?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    genlog76 wrote: »
    but its funny we make a big fuss about bikinis

when Orion slave girls walk almost half naked :confused:

OMG! Orion Burqas or I quit!
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    How did dental get a goatee beard on a female character? Mind, its kind of a neat thing for aliens, I'm just curious.

Also, Cryptic did good on gorn texture.

Ah, that's not an actual goatee. There's an alien face texture option that has some different coloring around the mouth/chin area. That one just has it colored black to simulate a goatee.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Yes, for a simple reason. CBS. They probably vetoed the bikinis outside of Risa, since they were the reason for not having bikinis last year.

I had to read that one gain to be sure I read it correctly the first time .
    Then I just read it out loud to make sure that it did sound as stupid as I thought it would .

... then I remembered Gecko on one podcast or another almost a year ago mumbling something about "a bunch of yahoos in speedos running around on ESD" , and how awful that would be .

So yeah , I'm sure it was CBS ... :rolleyes:
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I had to read that one gain to be sure I read it correctly the first time .
    Then I just read it out loud to make sure that it did sound as stupid as I thought it would .

... then I remembered Gecko on one podcast or another almost a year ago mumbling something about "a bunch of yahoos in speedos running around on ESD" , and how awful that would be .

So yeah , I'm sure it was CBS ... :rolleyes:

It's just like the "it was cbs" argument against T-5 connies. As far as I know, it has never been put into writing. It has always been rumour at best.
    I need a beer.

• captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If this is a "bug" let's hope it gets the same timely treatment as all their other "non gameplay breaking bugs" and then they can see how the world doesn't fail to stop moving because someone is wearing a bikini at ESD.

The illusion of immersion has long since been gone, I say just go with it and accept that they game is going to be a colorful variety of creatures and people...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If this is a "bug" let's hope it gets the same timely treatment as all their other "non gameplay breaking bugs" and then they can see how the world doesn't fail to stop moving because someone is wearing a bikini at ESD.

The illusion of immersion has long since been gone, I say just go with it and accept that they game is going to be a colorful variety of creatures and people...

very much this^^^^^^^^^^ but its a bug we want to stay so it will most likely be fixed with in 2 weeks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So you say that the Hulk using Tholian carrier as a starfleet admiral was not immersive? Oh my! XD
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Yup. It'd be really great if it was all one big category, rather than "uniform" and "off duty" and "swimwear". Choice is rarely a bad thing!

This game has never been immersive. That was never the point imo.
    Neon pink TWOK uniforms put paid to that from day 1!
    I need a beer.

• nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    the problem is that little amount of immersion left in STO...the devs apparently do not want people on ESD, Vulcan, andoria, Bajor, DS9, ....running around in bathing suits.

while i can't understand why they allow a ton of other ridiculous costumes in those zones, i'm pretty sure that bathing costumes was where they drew the line. It could have been pink uniforms, or homer simpson or "the hulk" aliens and many other costume combos.

there obviously needs to be a line that can't be crossed for the sake of immersion and canon, for cryptic that is bikinis.

well, if bikinis were possible to mix with normal outfit, would allow very creative things, and would look like someone had to report on station, in an emergency :)

anyway, it's nice that ppl can have options to customise things. it makes it fun.
    the current swimsuit cost is too expensive to be restrictive to an area.

I'm sure no one wants to spend 500 - 1000 favours to be able to use a item in only a restricted map.
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Ohhhh baby dat gorn tho
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Yup. It'd be really great if it was all one big category, rather than "uniform" and "off duty" and "swimwear". Choice is rarely a bad thing!

This game has never been immersive. That was never the point imo.
    Neon pink TWOK uniforms put paid to that from day 1!
    OMG i'm going to have to make hello kitty spock now :D
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So we finally get swimwear. And how do many of the spoilt-brat playerbase react? Tears and tantrums because, for reasons I fail to fathom, they want their characters to be able to wear their bikini's EVERYWHERE.
    well, if it wasn't wasting one costume slot for something you'll pretty much never use, and didn't cost a virtual arm and leg to get, i guess people wouldn't cry about it so much. costume slots aren't free, and neither is the time needed to grind up enough favors.

now, if there was a risa-specific free costume slot given to every character, which could only equip the swimwear (which would cost 10-20 favors at most), i don't think anyone would have a reason to cry about it anymore.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Its not about people complaining for not be able to use swimsuits outside Risa, its about the incredible expensive price of the swimsuits to be able to weare em only in Risa. Its stupid. If i need to pay those prices and spent hours in Risa only to gather 1 stupid swimsuit, at least let me use it outside Risa. Its common sense. I dont see the point to use an outfit (+1 outfit slot, btw) only in 1 place if i need to pay for it. Not only that, i need to pay and i need to pay expensive prices. No sense.

Maybe because it is not a C-store outift bought with real money, we cannot use it outside Risa.. well, this will have more sense.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Its not about people complaining for not be able to use swimsuits outside Risa, its about the incredible expensive price of the swimsuits to be able to weare em only in Risa. Its stupid. If i need to pay those prices and spent hours in Risa only to gather 1 stupid swimsuit, at least let me use it outside Risa. Its common sense. I dont see the point to use an outfit (+1 outfit slot, btw) only in 1 place if i need to pay for it. Not only that, i need to pay and i need to pay expensive prices. No sense.

Maybe because it is not a C-store outift bought with real money, we cannot use it outside Risa.. well, this will have more sense.

There we go.

The problem is not that they have a policy.

The problem is that the policies are not coherent.

The exact same summer update that introduced LIMITED swimsuits also promotes a T5 space cruiseship (okay...) and disco balls as a combat item.

That reads like the designers messing with us. There's a vague whiff of a passive aggressive bullying tone to it and I think these guys CAN be better than that.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You know, what bothers me most about this whole sorry scenario with the swimsuits is how damned FICKLE some players have been about it.

This time last year:
    "We need swimwear"
    "A Party planet with a beach but no swimwear?!"
    "Not going to the summer event as no swimwear"
    "Devs need to add swimwear - you can't visit a beach in *faction* uniform - you suck devs!"
    "No swimwear at the summer events ruins it for me".

So we finally get swimwear. And how do many of the spoilt-brat playerbase react? Tears and tantrums because, for reasons I fail to fathom, they want their characters to be able to wear their bikini's EVERYWHERE. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I feel for the Dev's, because the playerbase is literally NEVER happy.

the thing is almost no one wants to waste time to get an outfit that they cannot wear "at their own ship / holodeck"... i personalyl never asked for this and i dotn farm the lohlunats because i have no use for the swimsuit when i cannot wear it on my own ship...i dont want to hang in drozana with this .. but i want to hang on my Holodeck with it....
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What's LoL funny?

My KDF Orion standard duty Bikini is better looking than the bikini's offered on Risa(with last years waist flower thing)

Have not even considered changing her gear yet.
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There we go.

The problem is not that they have a policy.

The problem is that the policies are not coherent.

The exact same summer update that introduced LIMITED swimsuits also promotes a T5 space cruiseship (okay...) and disco balls as a combat item.

That reads like the designers messing with us. There's a vague whiff of a passive aggressive bullying tone to it and I think these guys CAN be better than that.

See. This is what I've been getting at for almost two months now.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    peter1z9 wrote: »

I still think the Orion regular "duty" bikini's look better than the Risa stuff

http://i.imgur.com/1UifDhp.png?1
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh whine whine whine. People wanted to lounge on the beach in their underwear, now they can do so. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. And when its time to get back to work Saving The Galaxy, ya put your pants back on. Oh noes!

Honestly I wonder how many of these complaints are from the guys who's away team is 4 women with maxed-out sliders in Mirror Verse outfits, and are frustrated that its still not TRIBBLE enough. :rolleyes:
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh whine whine whine. People wanted to lounge on the beach in their underwear, now they can do so. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. And when its time to get back to work Saving The Galaxy, ya put your pants back on. Oh noes!

Honestly I wonder how many of these complaints are from the guys who's away team is 4 women with maxed-out sliders in Mirror Verse outfits, and are frustrated that its still not TRIBBLE enough. :rolleyes:

Someone's being awfully judgemental, right?

Plus who said anything about saving the galaxy? I want to blow that up.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    genlog76 wrote: »
    but its funny we make a big fuss about bikinis

when Orion slave girls walk almost half naked :confused:

I think it has to do with the fact that skimpy outfits for Orion females is normal cultural attire. And to be honest, those outfits are supposed to be worn with a loin cloth, judging by the female Orion civvies I've seen around.

I also find it very telling that the vast majority of female Orion NPCs in KDF service, that I've seen, are wearing standard KDF uniforms. Not typical Orion kitsch.

Skimpy outfits are fine and dandy. But they have their place.

Anyway, dead horse and all that jazz. The devs will likely have it fixed in next week's patch.
    edited June 2014

I don't understand why anyone would assume that is why.

I do not play a character with a maxed out bust slider, I play a Cardassian male, custom alien generation. I am a straight male.

My issue is with inconsistent and inconsiderate policy decisions and judgmental attitudes, whioch I believe there is no good reason for everyone, everywhere to completely and totally abandon.

I do not understand why you have a limited tolerance for the "whining" of others or the need to assign motives to people you disagree with.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm of the mind that Swimsuits should be wearable "nearly" everywhere.

Meaning, I can see where there could be a few maps: ESD, First City, the Academies, Romulan Control, etc - Proper, formal facilities where Starfleet, KDF, Romulan uniforms should be the norm. At these places things like party balls and most pets should be disallowed, too.

But most maps, certainly non-persistant, private mission maps, ship interiors, and the "seedier" locations like Nimbus or Drozana should be open season on any in-game clothing option, party ball, pet, etc.

I'm very much in agreeance with stoleviathan99 on his points regarding how inconsistent Cryptic is with their rules.

Someone mentioned how Dan Stahl thought wearing Mirror or past/future clothing was OK because possibly YOU, as a character, may be a dimension/time traveler. I remember that comment, too. Well, if it's ok for Orions to wear bikinis because it's their Culture, then why shouldn't I be able to say that my Alien, Human, Vulcan, or Gorn happened to grow up in a city, country, planet, or other where it was likewise Culturally-appropriate to wear swimwear?

Further, I'm a little miffed at the expense of the swimwear. They're charging rates similar to what we pay for winter outfits, and those can be worn anywhere/time.... I think if they're going to restrict the wearability of swimwear, they should lower the price.

peter1z9 wrote: »
    For some reason I just couldn't stop laughing at this picture.
    qjunior wrote: »
    Who wants to bet that Cryptic fixes this "terrible, gamebreaking bug" within a week, while truly awful stuff is waiting forever to be fixed ? :o
    No bet. You're probably right. :P

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You know, what bothers me most about this whole sorry scenario with the swimsuits is how damned FICKLE some players have been about it.

This time last year:
    "We need swimwear"
    "A Party planet with a beach but no swimwear?!"
    "Not going to the summer event as no swimwear"
    "Devs need to add swimwear - you can't visit a beach in *faction* uniform - you suck devs!"
    "No swimwear at the summer events ruins it for me".

So we finally get swimwear. And how do many of the spoilt-brat playerbase react? Tears and tantrums because, for reasons I fail to fathom, they want their characters to be able to wear their bikini's EVERYWHERE. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I feel for the Dev's, because the playerbase is literally NEVER happy.

It really started years ago long before the Risa Summer event. People then were asking for swimsuits, but every swimsuit topic would get jumped by a couple of noisy "No, no, NO!" types. As what usually happens when STO broadens out into something for fun. =P

Up until then, it was being discussed as a real possibility, from what it sounded like, but it got to the point where the devs quieted down about it and it came to them suggesting locking it to Risa somehow, if it ever happened.

That's how I remember it, was definitely disappointing when bathing suits didn't come with the first Summer event.

By now, it's likely those few who were raging against the idea of bathing suits in *THEIR* Star Trek left anyway, and now we have swimsuits we can't even use in our own ship interiors if we wanted to. What if we want to look appropriate for a beach/pool-themed Foundry mission, for example?

To be honest, I saw this coming since those earlier threads years ago, and while I'm happy to have bathing suits for Risa, I would have preferred being able to use them anywhere. Would have been nice to mix-and-match with other outfit parts too, but alas.

So ultimately, yes, you're right, portions of the playerbase are never happy, and because of that, we always get stuck with things like this, because there's always some grumpy sorts who can't stand other people having a little non-abusive/non-antagonizing, harmless fun.

This doesn't count for lag-inducing devices and other things that are often used to harrass, since I consider bathing suits pretty harmless by comparison. And no, your immersion wouldn't be broken by people using swimsuits for a short period and then getting tired of it months later. Surely they're just on their way back from a holodeck pool party, after all.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    in all this talk of swimsuits I am surprised that no one mentioned this.

Some of the colors for the Swim suits are a 100% match for some of the skin tones. so wearing this you can make you character clothed like a pre-reform Ferengi female, if you know what I mean, and no I didn't take a screenshot, but I did do this in the tailor.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited June 2014
    in all this talk of swimsuits I am surprised that no one mentioned this.

Some of the colors for the Swim suits are a 100% match for some of the skin tones. so wearing this you can make you character clothed like a pre-reform Ferengi female, if you know what I mean, and no I didn't take a screenshot, but I did do this in the tailor.

Are any of those human skintones because then we have a problem.

If not, well, this game isn't rated by the ESRB, there's nothing showing, and there were aliens/androids on the shows that looked like that too (remember Lal?). It's still only about as "naked" as Bugs Bunny is.

Buy, hey, we can assume Dental favors swimsuits everywhere since they're wearing them everywhere. And what Dental wants, Dental gets from the developers.

So while I'd ordinarily say this gets patched, if Dental, Nerds of Prey, and ShutUp Wesley are parading around Drozana in swimwear, we'll probably get to keep that option.

Heck, since disco balls provide a combat boost (sorry, I'm still reeling over that), maybe Cryptic will provide a combat BONUS to people wearing swimwear, making them superior to uniforms.
    edited June 2014
    Someone mentioned how Dan Stahl thought wearing Mirror or past/future clothing was OK because possibly YOU, as a character, may be a dimension/time traveler. I remember that comment, too. Well, if it's ok for Orions to wear bikinis because it's their Culture, then why shouldn't I be able to say that my Alien, Human, Vulcan, or Gorn happened to grow up in a city, country, planet, or other where it was likewise Culturally-appropriate to wear swimwear?

See, this is what I do. I don't assume that every character I see is a professional starship captain. That Vulcan without a uniform? Could be a merchant, or a member of the science academy. That scantily clad trill? Probably a dabo girl or waitress. That person wears a mirror uniform, dresses their crew in mirror uniform and uses an ISS ship, therefore, they are from the mirror universe. This person uses a timeship, uses the time weapons, and time uniforms, therefore, they are from the future.

Look at any crowd scene in DS9. Most of the people you see aren't members of Starfleet. Just because you are in starfleet, doesn't mean that person is. More people need this mentality.
    Further, I'm a little miffed at the expense of the swimwear. They're charging rates similar to what we pay for winter outfits, and those can be worn anywhere/time.... I think if they're going to restrict the wearability of swimwear, they should lower the price.

They are more as far as I can tell.
    edited June 2014
    Wait.... discoballs providing combat boost? I feel like I have missed something important.