What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim Wear Seen Off Risa

Comments

• catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    KDF is OP because Orions.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But Mirror Universe captains flying around in 8472 bioships doesn't ruin the "feel" of Star Trek? :rolleyes:

Yes, they do. And I hate playable undine ships. The problem is, this is not a star trek universe anymore, not since time ago. I mean, of course, undine are from star trek, but flying an undine ship.. it is a no no. For example. I think it is too late to put limits on what is going to ruin the star trek universe lol.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But Mirror Universe captains flying around in 8472 bioships doesn't ruin the "feel" of Star Trek? :rolleyes:

That really doesn't for me. Things like the Decipher card game might have legions of Soong Type Androids roaming in a mobile space station using the Tox Uthat to blow up earth with a super nova while the Borg Queen assimilates Mirror Sisko as her counterpart in a time travel firefight aboard the Excelsior in the 23rd century Mutara Nebula.

You are probably in error if you think this game is supposed to simulate life in the world of Star Trek. It is an episode mash-up simulator, not a world simulator. Random Trek elements in a blender suit the game perfectly and the more exceptional or one off Trek elements in a blender together, the more it's doing its job.

Now... The issue I have is, really, that I doubt CBS cares on this issue and I'm just a touch offended that this event where Cryptic pushes the disco balls everywhere (and now tried to upgrade the balls in a way that will promote using them IN COMBAT AREAS) is the event where they also restrict the swimwear. I'd actually have a lot more patience for people fighting Borg in swimwear. Enterprise has an episode that's basically Trip fighting in his underwear the whole episode as I recall.

Whereas the disco ball thing?

Look. I dance to it if I see one. I am not personally allergic to fun. But I think it is a vastly rude and obnoxious thing for the devs to push, given the responses it engenders and how stupidly jarring it is. And far more jarring than swimwear would be.

It's trolling a segment of your playerbase, which game developers should not do, no matter how obnoxious that segment of customers seems to them. It is wrong. And to do that and not do swimwear everywhere is just playing favorites and establishing rules willy nilly, without consistency.

If this is a game where disco balls can pop everywhere? Fine. Then it should be a game with swimwear everywhere and no distinction between duty and off duty outfits.

If you're going to have rules to govern or shape the setting then you at the very least should restrict disco ball placements and not make them a combat item.

It's inconsistency.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh yes it's stupid and all, but honestly, seeing all those perv inventing the most dumb excuses to have bikinis outside Risa, and not say the truth (IE see half naked girls), is so much fun !

That's more than just avoiding an immersion break, but more to avoid turning ESD into a red light district.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    longasc wrote: »
    Can BOFFs wear swimsuits, too, or is it restricted to characters like Omega/MACO etc. costume options?

Just want to point out, Omega Gear is no longer restricted to player characters , I have my whole away team in the Omega Force gear, fully edited in the tailor with division colours
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Oh yes it's stupid and all, but honestly, seeing all those perv inventing the most dumb excuses to have bikinis outside Risa, and not say the truth (IE see half naked girls), is so much fun !

That's more than just avoiding an immersion break, but more to avoid turning ESD into a red light district.

A cruise ship more powerful then a Gal - R isnt stupid ?
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited June 2014
    To be clear, I've played giant flying plague rats decks in Magic. I love the goofiest Silver Age stuff in comics like Superman with an ant for a head or red kryptonite causing him to project a mini-Superman from the palm of his hand or Batman in space fighting aliens in his own comic. In WoW, I have a Worgen with a transmogged Paladin Judgment recolor set riding a motorcycle. I love the Harrison Ford/Goblin TRIBBLE quests, Haris Pilton, and all the pop references.

I fly lockbox ships (I have multiple) in STO and have a 29th century themed crew. Some of my favorite Trek episodes are Relativity, Rascals, and Little Green Men. I love Ferengi episodes. Star Trek IV is probably in a tie for my favorite movie.

I think there is an appropriate way to do stupid stuff. I am a fan of stupid fun.

I also think Cryptic crosses the line in some ways that reflect a distinct lack of self-awareness that would make Michael Scott from The Office seem like Ann Landers by comparison. It's rude and so inconsistently rude that it seems like trolling.

Being anti-swimwear while giving discoballs a mechanical, combat functionality is one of those areas. It's not entirely one or the other but the combination of the two seems crass because it seems to say, "We'll police the theme when we're worried about YOU being inappropriate to the setting but we'll be wacky in a way that allows players to FORCE you out of the setting."

But, hey, here's your worst case scenario for swimwear, right here:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/LoIG_Starslash/cardassianswim_zpsfb3a7b3f.jpg

Get to work on that patch telling players how they can or cannot violate the setting with their own characters while ignoring the ways that you can one group of players force other players to violate the setting. That's VEEEEEEEERRRRRRY professional of you guys.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited June 2014
    Hilarious how many people have problems with swimsuits on the beach.
    That they work on Drozana and elsewhere is probably not going to stay, so what's the problem.

I rather find it inappropriate to do hoverboard racing in my Omega or MACO armor because I didn't invest into swimgear yet. :))
    edited June 2014

Whats wrong with Bikinis outside Risa??? Didnt you see orion females, the clothes they are wearing?? whats the difference between a bikini and the clothes of the orion females?? honestly, having bikinis as an extra option will be always good, no matter what. Reasonable captains will never use swimsuits just to look "sexy". As i said, in my case i wanted it to have more options to mix my actual orion outfit with something else. Because orions NEEDS more outfit options. Thats all. I will never use a swimsuit on a Gorn character, or a klingon character, or a reman character, for example. But human females, orions, and other species could wear bikinis with no problem at all. And eventually people will be tired of em as well, and they will change again to other outfits. As i said, i want em as an extra option, for specific species like orion females.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited June 2014
    And yes, we have too many young men playing hot young scantily clad girls with whips and so on.

I blame F2P. The STO fanbase was always on the dumb side of the galaxy and it didn't get better. Dunno if it was Trekkies being MMO illiterate or MMO gamers dragging down the game to a very low level of brains and communication that seems common in MMOs by now.
    edited June 2014

See, this is what gets these threads closed, throwing "perv" into it. It's just such a bizarre, puritanical reaction. I don't even know what planet you're coming from here.

Anything inappropriate, I'm sure a percentage of people will do anyway.

What I care about is people having control of their own characters and game rules being consistent.

But we can't have a constructive discussion on this. Heck, Cryptic came down on the side prurience by having 11 female suits and 3 male (and I say this as a straight cis male who suspects that there are a ton of men playing women in this game and probably a failure to court female players in the way that other MMOs have done, like WoW's nearly half female playerbase).

We clearly come from different cultures, particularly if you can't see the rational argument here.
    edited June 2014
    longasc wrote: »
    And yes, we have too many young men playing hot young scantily clad girls with whips and so on.

I blame F2P. The STO fanbase was always on the dumb side of the galaxy and it didn't get better. Dunno if it was Trekkies being MMO illiterate or MMO gamers dragging down the game to a very low level of brains and communication that seems common in MMOs by now.

Well, i had a terrible experience playing kotor and other star wars online games.. far worst than the experience i am having with STO. I only found kids , kids and more kids there.

In STO, yes yo have kids, and people who doesnt care about the health of the game, but you have also people who really cares and all of em are trekkies. Then you have people who likes star trek and still they can mix a lot of things in the pack without being jerks.

I can tell you that most of the STO population are not trekkies. So your point is invalid. They may be kids, yes, but some players are just adult people who only wants to enjoy something from the star trek universe. I need to remind you that someone that just likes star trek is not a "trekkie". The same way, for example a guy who likes heavy metal doesnt need to wear those clothes or have long hair.

And at the same time, have more "incentives" to play. As i said, i would love to see my orion female in bikini + llollipop, for example, but i will hate to see my romulan female in bikini. Because romulans will never wear bikinis. Period.
    edited June 2014
    Whats wrong with Bikinis outside Risa??? Didnt you see orion females, the clothes they are wearing?? whats the difference between a bikini and the clothes of the orion females?? honestly, having bikinis as an extra option will be always good, no matter what. Reasonable captains will never use swimsuits just to look "sexy". As i said, in my case i wanted it to have more options to mix my actual orion outfit with something else. Because orions NEEDS more outfit options. Thats all. I will never use a swimsuit on a Gorn character, or a klingon character, or a reman character, for example. But human females, orions, and other species could wear bikinis with no problem at all. And eventually people will be tired of em as well, and they will change again to other outfits. As i said, i want em as an extra option, for specific species like orion females.

I actually think they make the most sense visually on Gorn. Gorn are theoretically supposed to be going around in a Fred Flintstone patterned tanktop and miniskirt.

But the problem is in thinking about what other people should do rather than allowing and holding other people responsible for what they individually do.

I could see the swimwear ban if disco ball restrictions were similarly inforced.

I could see allowing both disco balls and swimwear.

But I think anyone who is in favor of inconsistency here (pro-swimwear/anti-disco, anti-swimwear/pro-disco) either has weird issues with control or Freudian hangups. And THAT is what I find creepy.
  • ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i don't rely see a problem why we cant wear our swimsuit anywear

its our freedom

in my country the girls from around the age of 16 17 18
    also walk a bit sexy i don't mind

and there walking alot ad the train station
    and if you don't wanna look ad it then don't

and if i wanna walk around in my space ship in my swim suit then i do it :)
    so i hope that STO will make it happen

so we can wear what we want and wear we want
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    SRS CAT people getting totally offended at random things on ESD?

That's unpossible.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
    edited June 2014
    genlog76 wrote: »

its our freedom

To be fair, you will never see a woman in the street wearing a bikini...

Unless she is mindless.. or she have a big problem.

One thing is to wear sexy clothes, other thing is to wear bikinis.. specially in winter lol.

In summer , in a lot of cities you can see people wearing bikins (well, it comes to my mind Malib
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I wonder how many people felt that way back in the day when Kirk and crew flew around in a BoP...
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    genlog76 wrote: »

its our freedom

the problem is that little amount of immersion left in STO...the devs apparently do not want people on ESD, Vulcan, andoria, Bajor, DS9, ....running around in bathing suits.

while i can't understand why they allow a ton of other ridiculous costumes in those zones, i'm pretty sure that bathing costumes was where they drew the line. It could have been pink uniforms, or homer simpson or "the hulk" aliens and many other costume combos.

there obviously needs to be a line that can't be crossed for the sake of immersion and canon, for cryptic that is bikinis.
    i don't necessarely support that, but i can understand the reasoning behind it.

PS: Is it only me, or does Risa kind of look like certain areas in second life??
    Go pro or go home
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes, for a simple reason. CBS. They probably vetoed the bikinis outside of Risa, since they were the reason for not having bikinis last year.
    And not respecting their decisions could lead to a license removal. And nobody want that. I don't know if they would remove the license for this reason, but I'm sure they will not like if Cryptic do as they pleased and deliberately leave a bug that go against their decision. And that would lead to less stuff we might do, because it's vetoed. They hold the power when it comes to canon.

While your "awful stuff" is not going to get the license removed, and the game will still be there in a year, even if it's not fixed. Now, sure I want bugs fixed and all that, but some of them are high priority, even if you don't see why.

mistakes happen, cbs and others know how that goes and if they punish pwe for it on sto, then they may as well punish themselves for spinning off ncis new orleans and there by killing the healthy horse by over doing it with the series so soon.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    but its funny we make a big fuss about bikinis

when Orion slave girls walk almost half naked :confused:
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Cruise ship should be similar to the SCS and Tuffli imho. You should be able to wear the swimwear on it as well as your crew. There should also be a Dabo Table, and maybe other mini games, make it an R & R/ Grabass ship, not a combat ship.

Now, ISE will look like a bunch of drug dealers kicking the Borg off their turf.:rolleyes:
    HzLLhLB.gif

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You know, what bothers me most about this whole sorry scenario with the swimsuits is how damned FICKLE some players have been about it.

This time last year:
    "We need swimwear"
    "A Party planet with a beach but no swimwear?!"
    "Not going to the summer event as no swimwear"
    "Devs need to add swimwear - you can't visit a beach in *faction* uniform - you suck devs!"
    "No swimwear at the summer events ruins it for me".

So we finally get swimwear. And how do many of the spoilt-brat playerbase react? Tears and tantrums because, for reasons I fail to fathom, they want their characters to be able to wear their bikini's EVERYWHERE. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I feel for the Dev's, because the playerbase is literally NEVER happy.

I had an similar observation and said a similar thing in another thread.
    The day (which should never come) when and if they make swimsuits availible everywhere in the game, this playerbase will switch and start whining to have their female characters go topless using idiotic arguments like "well women do it IRL, you know!".
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Devs. If you at least let us use the swimwear on Foundry maps or fleet holdings or bridges, I'll buy zen again. I don't mind if public social zones don't let you use it.

But damnit, I want to use the swimwear on maps that has things like beaches and spas and swimming pools.

This is your chance to redeem Cryptic in my eyes. Don't fix this. Oh, same for the waterboard. A nice foundry map on the beach could use it. I mean, foundry authors just gained some water related goodies right?

Though again, Orion and Fed Mirror enterprise/TOS outfits are just as revealing.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited June 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »

How did dental get a goatee beard on a female character? Mind, its kind of a neat thing for aliens, I'm just curious.

Also, Cryptic did good on gorn texture.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited June 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Probably not many.

A: Kirk and crew were fugitives at the time - they had violated orders, stolen a Federation starship, tampered with another Federation starship, destroyed the Starship that they stole, upset the Klingons and comandeered a Klingon ship; it's not like they could simply call Starfleet and say "Oi Starfleet, send us another ship!"
    B: The Enterprise was debris and the BOP was all they had and it wasn't as if they WANTED to use it - more that they HAD to.

While I can see this, I remember Stahl justifying the 23rd century uniforms saying that they wanted to support the idea that YOU might be a time traveler.

You (or a player you see) might be a fugitive. Or a time traveler. Or a Dominion ship assigned to work for Starfleet command. Or a Ferengi officer serving through an officer exchange program. Maybe that Undine ship was purchased through the Lobi Crystal Consortium or MAYBE it's an advanced Q-ship designed to LOOK LIKE an Undine ship with a phony transponder to confuse the Undine in battle.

In many ways, I think the flaw is NOT in allowing Gorn to wear tuxedos or players to command Jem'Hadar Attack Ships. The flaw is in telling players what they are and encouraging the assumption that other players you see are just like you.

Think of Morn being talkative on the show or how Worf showed up in Insurrection and Picard was all, "There's time for explanations! Welcome aboard!"

When I see a Gorn in a tuxedo or a player in an Undine ship, I suppose my instinct is to say, "There's a perfectly good explanation for that, which I have no time for!" And when I'm doing that...? I can imagine a perfectly good explanation for that.
  • lordkratos1974lordkratos1974 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    whats the point in buying any of the swimwear if its only useable at Risa? KDF & Rom toons have a COMBINED total of 4 outfits from the zen store. The lobi outfits don't count cause they can be worn by any faction. So... the winter event has outfits that can be worn anywhere & anytime. But the summer event outfits is restricted to 1 place in the entire game. WTF? I was hoping for a great summer event this year. To me this takes the fun out of the game. Pheww Pheww Pheww Kill Kill Kill, D*mit id like to just chill out and check out the eye candy for a bit ya know?:D Grab a honey and go EXPLORE the Delta Quadrant lol. Restricting the swimwear to 1 spot in the game is silly imho. If Cryptic could add other things to do on Risa during the Non-Event months i could see to restricting it to Risa, but as it stands this isn't the case. So i hope Cryptic does the right thing, and the MAJORITY of STO players will be happy.
    edited June 2014
    whats the point in buying any of the swimwear if its only useable at Risa? KDF & Rom toons have a COMBINED total of 4 outfits from the zen store. The lobi outfits don't count cause they can be worn by any faction. So... the winter event has outfits that can be worn anywhere & anytime. But the summer event outfits is restricted to 1 place in the entire game. WTF? I was hoping for a great summer event this year. To me this takes the fun out of the game. Pheww Pheww Pheww Kill Kill Kill, D*mit id like to just chill out and check out the eye candy for a bit ya know?:D Grab a honey and go EXPLORE the Delta Quadrant lol. Restricting the swimwear to 1 spot in the game is silly imho. If Cryptic could add other things to do on Risa during the Non-Event months i could see to restricting it to Risa, but as it stands this isn't the case. So i hope Cryptic does the right thing, and the MAJORITY of STO players will be happy.

Yeah, Feds at least can go to Risa all year, but KDF can't by default.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    How did dental get a goatee beard on a female character? Mind, its kind of a neat thing for aliens, I'm just curious.

Also, Cryptic did good on gorn texture.

Dat Gorn tho... :eek: :cool:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Yeah, Feds at least can go to Risa all year, but KDF can't by default.

Thats a good point.

Perhaps Rura Penthe ought to open a resort.
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Thats a good point.

Perhaps Rura Penthe ought to open a resort.

That would work for ice skating, not surfing.