test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa cave secret? (Team Investigating) We have our eyes on you cave people ;)

Comments

• Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'll reserve judgment on that.

But what's more disturbing is this activity at SFA. What people said earlier, likely could be goldfarmers taking advantage of the system. If there was a GM taking a list of all those accounts as they were logged in, I bet they would put such dampener on their business they would give up STO.

I have a substantial list of those accounts, if a GM would like to inquire.

No, actually, I didn't have anything better to do at the time. I got interested from a statistical standpoint, and the next thing you know, *BAM* I have a list.

<Cue commentary from someone about how I'm "harassing" the players by doing this.>
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The fewer shinies the foundry offers, either directly or indirectly, the better it will be for the overall quality of work. Those who would put together short throw-away for the sake of those who are looking for a fast way to earn dilithium or marks would not bother. Those who would put together actual story missions would do so, and it would attract those looking for story driven missions.

I seem to remember that we tried to warn the devs that attaching rewards to the Foundry would make it so the rewards would be the only reason a lot of people would even bother with it. In fact, there have been people who have flat out said that if they took rewards away from the foundry then they would never play another foundry mission. If it was left up to me, I would say "good riddance," because then the ratings would actually reflect reviews made by people playing for the story not the shinies.

If Cryptic had listened, then we would not be having this conversation. And the number of foundry players due to shinies artificially inflating the metrics tracking how many people use the foundry has done nothing to encourage Cryptic do one bloody thing to maintain the Foundry. We still don't have the Jupiter uniforms in there for our NPCs... So the argument that fewer players would result in Cryptic not maintaining the foundry is moot.

It's too late now. Getting it to where I feel it should have been would require Cryptic taking yet another thing away from the players. They do that enough as it is, and I'm getting tired of it. Foundry is what it is. And because of the way it is designed, exploiters are gonna exploit. More's the pitty, but there it is...

While this may be true, if the items that dropped in the Foundry, rewards, and rep rewards had 0 EC vendor value and were bind on account or on equip, you'd eliminate ORGANIZED energy credit seller botting and economic manipulation/cartels. I think that would be enough without penalizing ordinary players for spending time there.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The funny thing is, the situation with the Foundry has only progressively worsened as a result of the entire original crackdown on the Clickies. The original Daily IOR with the Broken Console never invited this. Why don't we just put the old IOR Daily back and revert things to how they were during Season 6? This wasn't nearly the problem back then, because even if you had an entire accountload of 50 toons banging away at it, you'd net, what 50Kish?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do not even know if we will ever get past these exploiters. They always get some work-around going.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I do not even know if we will ever get past these exploiters. They always get some work-around going.

I think we can, but it would require vigilance and Cryptic stop short cutting things.

Like thinking like a Foundry exploiter, what would you do. Like one of the things on top of the list is how they are exploiting the doors themselves, so that would be a good starting point. Maybe start having a system where some players become "Foundry Editors" and missions aren't eligible for reward until they pass a panel. At the same time, they have the power to pull a mission to be reviewed by Customer Management.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    As I sit here right now at SFA, I am observing more exploiters with ridiculous names.

Stuff like numbers and letters all jumbled up.

I checked their biographies and they all have light cruisers. Probably due to them leveling up just on the foundry.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So..... what exactly is happening?
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Nothing to see here move along move along...................
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How incredibly helpful.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »

No, actually, I didn't have anything better to do at the time. I got interested from a statistical standpoint, and the next thing you know, *BAM* I have a list.

<Cue commentary from someone about how I'm "harassing" the players by doing this.>

^^^ That would be stating the obvious , but I'm rather concerned about the voyeuristic nature of this thread .

No .. not concerned as in asking someone to do something about it , just concerned about the very fact that ppl seemingly go so much beyond looking at another person's toon or ship because they think it's pretty .

The fact that this thread is also seemingly of "major interest" (3 days now in the first page) also puts some doubt on the mental health of the playerbase participating .
    But that's just me . :o

... and no , don't bother looking for my @handle on you "list" . It's not there . :)
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ^^^ That would be stating the obvious , but I'm rather concerned about the voyeuristic nature of this thread .

No .. not concerned as in asking someone to do something about it , just concerned about the very fact that ppl seemingly go so much beyond looking at another person's toon or ship because they think it's pretty .

The fact that this thread is also seemingly of "major interest" (3 days now in the first page) also puts some doubt on the mental health of the playerbase participating .
    But that's just me . :o

... and no , don't bother looking for my @handle on you "list" . It's not there . :)

Lolololol!
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Maybe its just a giant trolling attempt that has so far been successful beyond any reasonable expectations?
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Random locations off the beaten path, featuring bushes, voyeurs and tribble rubbing.

Has all the indications of something I can't mention due to the terms of use.

Yeah, e-stalking is creepy, ain't it?:P
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »

I can say, you make me sick....
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    so whats about a secret cave I keep heering about on the forums?:D

should I go to risa and check it out lol
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dam now I'm scared.... this thread shows that there are many stalkers playing STO. SMH.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    Maybe its just a giant trolling attempt that has so far been successful beyond any reasonable expectations?

I don't know, but it does seem to be an awful lot of effort just to troll.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    One thing Cryptic should be doing is ask themselves why so many opt to exploit the system. Let them answer the why and then do something about it. Like providing a legitimate way to achieve the goals the exploiters seek?

Amusing. Exploiters across the entirety of online gaming are all looking for the same thing: "More, more, more, MORE!!1!!" The only way to "do something about" the "why" is to set up a button that ultimately hands out infinite shinies and game currency of all types. How you remove all limits and give everyone everything in "a legitimate way" while still somehow getting some people to pay for what you're handing out like a pedo throwing candy out of their van defies all logic.

TL;DR What they want is everything they can possibly get, for nothing- how do you provide a "legitimate" way to get that? :eek:
    I don't know, but it does seem to be an awful lot of effort just to troll.

Never underestimate the power of less-than-brilliant people in large numbers.

...and no, before anyone comes in to "educate" me, it does not at all escape my notice that the above can be easily applied to the Tribble-petters and the fascinated crowd hovering in the bushes watching them. ;)
  • Options
    thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i thought id go check out this famous SFA bush,youre right theyre all at it,beaming in and out :eek:
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If Cryptic were to remove the rewards from Foundry that can be used in other parts of the game, then the exploiters reported in this thread would no longer be there. Furthermore, people would stop writing super-fast throw-away missions to accommodate them. The Foundry would be used pretty much exclusively by those wanting to tell and experience each other's stories.

But there is no money to be made from the Foundry, so it gets no developer attention.

While ending all rewards would definitely stop all Foundry exploiting, it creates another problem as well.

People forget there was a time when there was no rewards for the Foundry and the majority of players stopped playing. While a few do it for the story, the others would like some sort of compensation for their time.
    Wait a minute... What we need is a Foundry Reputation with rewards that pertain only to the Foundry. Every time someone completes a Foundry mission and donates the max amount of Dilithium, the author gets a Foundry mark. Foundry marks would be used in the rep grind to unlock additional free foundry mission slots, or obtain special foundry props and costumes. There we go... Achieve Tier 3 in the Foundry Reputation grind, gain access to the Jupiter Uniforms for use in Foundry costumes. That would be right up Cryptic's alley :rolleyes:.

I think adding a Foundry Reputation system would increase the number of exploiters, even if the rewards was foundry-only.

Besides, costumes and such should remain free unlocks, since there is limited access already.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's not so much voyeurism or stalking as it is basic human nature.

We are all hard wired to be curious about things that we find that aren't ordinary.

A man dancing in the middle of the street? A kid on a roof flying a kite? A woman swimming in a pool pushing a baby cart? All ordinary activities, but in very odd places. These raise our curiousity and draw our attention - it's human nature.

Yeah , I get your point .
    Did you get mine ?
    Slowing down your car because you saw a car accident is being curious .

Striking up a tent for 4 days at the sight changes curious to voyeur . And that's how long this thread has been going ... in a game ... that has the Borg , the Undine and Orions chicks in really minimal clothing . :D
    Still don't see anything wrong ?

Whatever . :)
    And it's pretty obvious some kind of exploit is going on. No one goes through that amount of effort for nothing.

What can I say ... , I try to live and let live and non-invasive exploiters don't bother me , because they don't exist for me .
    Exploiters who exploit the actual game that involves me (like in PVP) -- those do .
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dilithium exploiters directly affect the game through the ZEN exchange
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wait a minute... What we need is a Foundry Reputation with rewards that pertain only to the Foundry. Every time someone completes a Foundry mission and donates the max amount of Dilithium, the author gets a Foundry mark. Foundry marks would be used in the rep grind to unlock additional free foundry mission slots, or obtain special foundry props and costumes. There we go... Achieve Tier 3 in the Foundry Reputation grind, gain access to the Jupiter Uniforms for use in Foundry costumes. That would be right up Cryptic's alley :rolleyes:.

Foundry authors are a really, really small minority of players. The only way that a Foundry rep would work is if it rewarded players for playing the stories. The learning curve for the tool is just too high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Foundry authors are a really, really small minority of players. The only way that a Foundry rep would work is if it rewarded players for playing the stories. The learning curve for the tool is just too high.

Once you watch some tutorials and get in it for like one mission, you will know it like the back of your hand. Unfortunately, the average gamer just wants it all now.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've reda through 15+ pages of this thread and STILL don't know what these sick, perverted tribble lovers are doing!

Perhaps we shoudl all, en masse, go to Risa and have an intervention. I'll start making the picket signs.

"It's ok to love your tribble, but NOT ok to LOVE your tribble!"

"If you have to do it in the dark you probably shouldn't be doing it at all!"

"A tribble a day will get you locked away!"

OMG - maybe the Klingons were on to something. They knew of the secret, seductive powers of the tribble... warriors, strong and honorable, hid away in caves to fulfil their sick desires, wasting away while entire houses crumbled from the shame. That's why they tried to wipe them out!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
This discussion has been closed.