test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Body scale options: adjustments/additions and side effects

Comments

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Or the ability to switch stances on the fly without having to visit a tailor. Perhaps a menu option that appears underneath the Change Outfit option when right clicking your character portrait.
    I would think that having a few that your characters could switch through would be nice. For instance the feminine walk works well in ESD or in the staging area of New Romulus, but a woman would be a bit more standard walk while say in the ruins and forests. And most characters I think would switch to the aggressive stern stance while dealing with Fake Cooper.
    One option sort of relating to this I would like to see just for integrity of the franchise/brand of Star Trek. Like say ESD or Qo'nos and areas like that (if they can ever get costumes to work properly as well) in special areas that I know the premise for selling all these costumes is that the "Federation changed their dress code". Although there should be one main slot for a specific range of costumes that would make it where when you go to Qo'nos and expect to see warriors of various races that you don't see an orion in a dabo girl dress and a gorn in human swimming apparrel racing each other to the security officer with their ice boots.

I hate that idea as well. The reason being that by restricting the costumes you also restrict the character creation. For instance one of the primary reasons that I want a swimsuit is that I have an Orion on Fed side, who I can't put into a Starfleet uniform but I HATE her Klingon Orion metal bikini. I can't put her into any C-Store clothes either. The swimsuit was my last best hope to have her wear something remotely Starfleet/Federation. Restricting that to Risa and the stupid off duty uniform slot kills that idea dead. And yes I want to put my officers into some summer clothes, my crew gets leave. I'd actually like it if I could choose to bring down one of my officers like New Romulus a lot more. I'd appreciate it if the restriction was relaxed for Orions, but honestly I don't like the restrictions to begin with.

What if someone wants to make a Starfire kind of alien who doesn't like clothes. I get far more annoyed by errant party poppers and disco balls and balloons than I ever do from someone being out of Uniform.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Like somebody else posted ears sliders would be nice like vertical, horizontal, scale and rotation. Chine height and eye rotation would be helpful as well. Would be awesome to have an alien that’s eye blink sideways.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another preview with some new sliders :):

http://imgur.com/WkZWXOg

...and yes, all sliders (minus bust size) will be available for scaling male and female characters

Question: Will you make a male package adjusting slider too? As these sliders seem very oriented around at treating women as sexual objects, but not men. Let's have some more equality in the game, please.
    edited May 2014
    Greetings Captains,

There have been many requests to increase the range of specific sliders as well as add new ones and it's something we're keen on exploring in our continuing efforts to improve the game.

"Just add a new slider! How is that so hard!?"

Well, usually it isn't easy and/or safe. Potentially every species that doesn't share its data with another species may have to be edited. Some changes will likely impact UI programming and art/layout. Some bones are linked to others in the scale options and it could create undesirable/unpredictable multiplying scale effects when adjusting two seemingly distinct sliders. Potential widespread uniform clipping due to new proportions untested until this point. Broadening the range would automatically change all existing costumes, and everyone here should know how much people dislike their characters changing, even in the most minuscule ways. And a slew of other things that could be affected and go wrong.

But taking it one step at a time, I'm interested your input on the bust slider:

Say we adjust the bust slider allowing smaller bust size as requested enthusiastically by a quite a few players. Great!, right?

Now, what if I tell you we can do that pretty easily! Super awesome, right?

....now, what if I tell you that when we do that every existing female character's bust size will automatically decrease a little...

Not as awesome to a lot of people.

Reason being, the slider is a percentage of a range - if we shift the min size, that changes what everyone's current settings mean to the result seen on your monitors. This would affect player toons specifically, as NPC's already use the full range available.

That said, everyone would be able to go back into the scale options and adjust to make it exactly the same as it was before. Might be reasonable to some people, but that means *a lot* of people having to change *a lot* of costumes.

Again, curious to hear the input on the easy route.

In the mean time, we're also looking into possible ways to achieve the desired effect without affecting current player toons, but this hopefully helps illustrate why things are never quite as easy as they may seem.

Looking at the number of times we have been forced to respec skills, traits or even edit our toons appearance due to changes made in the game I'm all for doing this change and let those that want extreme boobies change them at the tailor.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't want to derail, and perhaps it was already mentioned in this thread (or even elsewhere in countless other threads that I've just not looked at)...but while all of the various customization is nifty and so forth...

...where are the basic templates? Thin, Average, Athletic, Muscular, Heavy, etc, etc, etc?

I'd like to be able to feel like I'm playing Star Trek more than I feel like I'm playing Futurama.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't want to derail, and perhaps it was already mentioned in this thread (or even elsewhere in countless other threads that I've just not looked at)...but while all of the various customization is nifty and so forth...

...where are the basic templates? Thin, Average, Athletic, Muscular, Heavy, etc, etc, etc?

I'd like to be able to feel like I'm playing Star Trek more than I feel like I'm playing Futurama.

This feature used to be in the tailor, but it stopped functioning and then was removed completely when they revamped the UI. I complained that they were removing features, but it seems that many people don't care, because they never used the templates.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited May 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    This feature used to be in the tailor, but it stopped functioning and then was removed completely when they revamped the UI. I complained that they were removing features, but it seems that many people don't care, because they never used the templates.

Meh, I just hate how difficult it can be to get a BOFF looking anywhere near a normal humanoid. If I want to do all sorts of funky customization, I can go at it and have a blast. If I want to start from a base...I'm screwed.

I've had BOFFs with all sorts of physical deformities that I simply couldn't figure out how to correct. Whether it was extreme apples, pinheads, balloon heads, knuckledraggers, etc, etc, etc - I'd usually end up just deleting them because trying to figure out where to set the sliders to make them have any semblance of - meh - not even sure what the word is. Balance is the first thing that comes to mind.

I think back to CoH and many other games where they have/had customization. You had those basic templates that you could start with and then take your customization where you wanted.

Basically along the lines of what some games offer/offered...along the lines of a three step process:

1) Base/Template
    2) Gross Sliders (that as you adjust them, they adjust all the fine sliders)
    3) Fine Sliders (so that you can make any fine tune or separate adjustments from the above)

As it stands, well - none of the sliders are useful unless I'm trying to make some goofy Futurama-like character...

edit: Basically, all that all these additional sliders mean without the base/template or gross sliders...is that it's going to be harder and harder for me to take one of the deformed BOFFs Cryptic throws my way and make them look anything like the guys we see on the S9 loading screen.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't see a problem with these changes being implemented if it gives a better range of customization, although I do have some sympathy for players with dozens of costumes to fine tune, I don't really have that much sympathy. I don't imagine it would be that hard to keep track of what settings are used on one character to get the proper fit, then replicate it on the rest. There is nothing wrong with there being options for small breasted women but I agree that this shouldn't have ranges that would satisfy the interests of erp pedo fetishists, STO should not be that kind of game.
    Additionally I can also understand why certain ranges would not make sense for what are supposed to be members of various military forces that would not tolerate morbid obesity, you might see a grossly fat person in a Starfleet uniform at a Star Trek convention, but I highly doubt you would see one in Starfleet, like any military, only high ranking officers have acquired enough clout to allow themselves to go to seed without getting written up.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited May 2014
    Meh, I just hate how difficult it can be to get a BOFF looking anywhere near a normal humanoid. If I want to do all sorts of funky customization, I can go at it and have a blast. If I want to start from a base...I'm screwed.

I've had BOFFs with all sorts of physical deformities that I simply couldn't figure out how to correct. Whether it was extreme apples, pinheads, balloon heads, knuckledraggers, etc, etc, etc - I'd usually end up just deleting them because trying to figure out where to set the sliders to make them have any semblance of - meh - not even sure what the word is. Balance is the first thing that comes to mind.

I think the following steps will give something close to "average" proportions, but it may depend on species.

1. Create a new character of the same gender and species as your boff.
    2. Save the outfit. (You don't actually have to finish creating the character.)
    3. Load the saved outfit on your boff.
    qVpg1km.png
    edited May 2014
    I think the following steps will give something close to "average" proportions, but it may depend on species.

1. Create a new character of the same gender and species as your boff.
    2. Save the outfit. (You don't actually have to finish creating the character.)
    3. Load the saved outfit on your boff.

I know I used to try that in the past, and I can't remember why I stopped. I'm trying to remember if it was because of palette issues - where you end up with changing one color changing 6-10 additional color options. Generally speaking, I've never had much luck with the Tailor - with most guys running 1 or 2 colors...that's it - because of issues like that.
    edited May 2014
    I know I used to try that in the past, and I can't remember why I stopped. I'm trying to remember if it was because of palette issues - where you end up with changing one color changing 6-10 additional color options. Generally speaking, I've never had much luck with the Tailor - with most guys running 1 or 2 colors...that's it - because of issues like that.

I think I have a pretty good idea what's causing this bug. I suspect that when a boff is randomly generated, the colors of certain parts are linked so that the boff has a reasonable color scheme. However, these links are saved into the character data, so when you try to edit the boff later, you can't change the colors independently.
    qVpg1km.png
  • skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am so glad you are adding waist size. Currently, this is not so much of an issue for average sized or smaller characters, but as soon as you make large characters is becomes more obvious the larger you go: keeping everything else in decent proportion relative to the height, the waist only increases slightly, leaving such characters with tiny waists that don't match the rest of their body. This can be alleviated somewhat by costume type - such as wearing armour - but it does leave large characters looking silly in things like the federation admiral coat. (For reference, I have a female alien who is literally boss-sized; she can look Armek and the Borg Queen in the eye, so yes, she's petty huge.) I am pleased this is getting fixed. :D

I am all for smaller TRIBBLE, too - I mean, surely not every alien species out there has them?

By the way, excellent work on the kit/armour tailor options. I'm loving those. :)
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    skymagus00 wrote: »
    I am so glad you are adding waist size. Currently, this is not so much of an issue for average sized or smaller characters, but as soon as you make large characters is becomes more obvious the larger you go: keeping everything else in decent proportion relative to the height, the waist only increases slightly, leaving such characters with tiny waists that don't match the rest of their body. This can be alleviated somewhat by costume type - such as wearing armour - but it does leave large characters looking silly in things like the federation admiral coat. (For reference, I have a female alien who is literally boss-sized; she can look Armek and the Borg Queen in the eye, so yes, she's petty huge.) I am pleased this is getting fixed. :D

I am all for smaller TRIBBLE, too - I mean, surely not every alien species out there has them?

By the way, excellent work on the kit/armour tailor options. I'm loving those. :)
    The devs said that the waist slider will be added. I actually pointed out the very same thing - that once you make the female body bulkier and bigger, the waist is disproportionate and looks horrible. As for smaller TRIBBLE... hell, hoping that the new slider the devs mentioned in another thread in Tribble part of the forum is going to be good, so we can finally have proper small TRIBBLE.. as the way it is now, even on the minimum settings, it's just too big... ugh... <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I wish there was a 'none' breast option for Aliens, cats, and Saurians.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Actually, I want that for every species... because good uniform would be able to hide those just nicely... I mean, a graphical option of no curves of whatsoever would be nice... <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree on Saurians (Gorn, Voth, and any other reptilian race) and Aliens (which can be of any origin the creator decides), but cats? Size-control, sure, I get that, but cats (including Catians and Ferasans) are mammalian, and would breast feed their young, so why shouldn't the females have TRIBBLE. :confused:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't have any problems myself with you guys changing the minimum bust size, I'm more concerned with my characters in the 'cute' stance having unrealistically small lower legs. I don't really mind much about the other sliders if I could only make it look like my characters had actually spent some time running around.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited May 2014

I'm totally for this as an option. So those that want that can have that.
    But I would also like to shine a light on that in Star Trek there are species with more then 2 TRIBBLE. The alien creator should have more options like that.

Select body type:
    No TRIBBLE

Select number of arms:

Select number of fingers:

Select number of toes:

Select number of legs:

There are animation in the game for 3 legged aliens (Undine), 4 legged (most animals), 6 legged (insects) 8 legged (the spiders).

But before I see that I want you to fix the KDF Female alien heads and the dual spines that do not conform to the head shape if you change the shape of the head. Can't take more then a few minutes to compare the code between the FED and KDF geometry codes and copy one to the other.
    edited May 2014
    Multi-pedal species.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to make a spider alien, though that would be a uniform nightmare.
    Like somebody else posted ears sliders would be nice like vertical, horizontal, scale and rotation. Chine height and eye rotation would be helpful as well. Would be awesome to have an alien that’s eye blink sideways.
    That would be cool. Remake that alien from Men In Black. What was he...a cephalepod?
    mattachine wrote: »
    Question: Will you make a male package adjusting slider too? As these sliders seem very oriented around at treating women as sexual objects, but not men. Let's have some more equality in the game, please.
    I just had a thought of Ballet codpieces.

I never once noticed it, was it before F2P? I've only been here since a little before Season 6.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree on Saurians (Gorn, Voth, and any other reptilian race) and Aliens (which can be of any origin the creator decides), but cats? Size-control, sure, I get that, but cats (including Catians and Ferasans) are mammalian, and would breast feed their young, so why shouldn't the females have TRIBBLE. :confused:

Minor correction. Cats would have MULTIPLE TRIBBLE. As in six of them.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014

I'm not saying remove them, just have the option not to have them. Cats don't have TRIBBLE, nipples yes, but not TRIBBLE, even with a litter. However canon Catians do have them so keep the option.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not saying remove them, just have the option not to have them. Cats don't have TRIBBLE, nipples yes, but not TRIBBLE, even with a litter. However canon Catians do have them so keep the option.
    As you agree, canon Catians do have them, so I don't understand a reason for wanting them off. >shrug<

Edit to add: As far as terrestrial cats, I have, with my own eyes, seen cats with "bumps" or "mounds" (perhaps better described as "bags") behind (under/above?) their nipples, even moreso when feeding a litter, but even when not. I'm not a vet, so I'll admit ignorance on whether the term "breast" applies... Anyway...

Let me be clear in that I'm not ever against any additional Options, I love options. I love customizations. If you want to turn off TRIBBLE on your cats, go ahead, makes no difference to me and my gameplay (so long as I can have mine on, obviously).
    True, true. Heh. BTW, I find your signature banner to be... uh... distracting. ;)

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited May 2014

Terran cats have six teats. Caitians have two TRIBBLE. The felinoid who was dancing in the bar in Paradise City back in the2380s had three TRIBBLE like it was Total Recall.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    BTW, I find your signature banner to be... uh... distracting. ;)

:D
    i think that was the general idea :P
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That means it's working. :D
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Terran cats have six teats. Caitians have two TRIBBLE. The felinoid who was dancing in the bar in Paradise City back in the2380s had three TRIBBLE like it was Total Recall.

Cat teats are not exactly visible. So yeah, Cat based species should have either 3 pairs, or none visible.

As for humans, the no breast option would be a male human, since females (Barring accidents, genetic disease, self mutilation) got exactly two. No more no less. Anything else, and we may as well add another head to the human, for its not a human any more.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited May 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Cat teats are not exactly visible. So yeah, Cat based species should have either 3 pairs, or none visible.

As for humans, the no breast option would be a male human, since females (Barring accidents, genetic disease, self mutilation) got exactly two. No more no less. Anything else, and we may as well add another head to the human, for its not a human any more.

Conjoined Twins?

It would then be two... humans.

It would be interesting to explore our upright felinoid friends' origins. We know that humanoid species in the Star Trek Universe all share a common progenitor ancestry that seeded a genetic program into the primordial soup of most class M planets 4+ Billion years ago, that caused the humanoid plan form to be the most common form of life in the Milky Way. What we don't know is how variable that got. Does it apply to all mammals? Are we just talking primarily primates and bipedal felinoids are convergent evolution? Or are the Caitians, Ferasan, and Kzinti all humanoids like us that developed through a feline line of evolution but since they're primarily humanoids they still get two TRIBBLE?
  • immaculateflaxenimmaculateflaxen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Something that's bothered me since I started playing was the Leg Bulk slider. It makes calves look the same size as your thighs or bigger depending on the angle... Maybe separating that slider into 2 sliders would be better, Thigh Bulk and Calf Bulk.
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    Something that's bothered me since I started playing was the Leg Bulk slider. It makes calves look the same size as your thighs or bigger depending on the angle... Maybe separating that slider into 2 sliders would be better, Thigh Bulk and Calf Bulk.

:) already done!

...that said, just FYI, it has to be a very small range because of the way the sliders multiply on each other. Hopefully it will still be sufficient to get the look you want, though.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We going to get the sliders to make this guy? :P

armus1.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!