What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S9: Graphic max settings now making my GPU/CPU struggle

Comments

• Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think this last patch just made the FPS situation worse, I was in the Undine BZ with my "new" usual settings and looking in one particular direction made my FPS drop a LOT.

nothing was visible in that area, it just did.
  • Options
    acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Mostly I played on medium settings, before season 9. Now I have to turn them all down a fair amount, and still don't get the performance I was getting previously ( MY friend has a much better computer, and he is having the same problem). It Just adds a bit more to some of the over all frustration, with all the other new, and existing bugs. :P
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah it definitely has something to do with particular directions at certain times... on ESD anyways, I'm almost convinced it's one of the ships that's driving around past the windows. Not all of them cause the fps hitching, just an Ambassador, and not every time. Happens whether or not you can actually see it on the screen.

It happens in other places well, and again, it seems to come and go dependign on what might be in the fov, visible or not. I've yet to figure out exactly what's causing it... but the hitching is definitely the entire video card system... my other windows will slow to a crawl, if I have a video playing on the other monitor, it starts freezing and stuttering (this was never a problem until s9.) Not until I pan past the affected area or run past it do things settle down again. It can also happen in sector space, managing to switch to a different instance, without whatever object that's causing everything to hiccup, can sometimes fix it.

Really, something has just been poorly implemented in some change to either models or the way some things are rendered, and it happens in all directx modes.
    edited April 2014
    I think this last patch just made the FPS situation worse, I was in the Undine BZ with my "new" usual settings and looking in one particular direction made my FPS drop a LOT.

nothing was visible in that area, it just did.

Yup, it is not a problem of how powerful is your pc. I always played with all settings maxed at 1920x1080, at 60+ fps all the time and in the undine battlezone is a hell. I cant barely get more than 15-20. Too much lag, impossible to play when there are 20+ ships in action. Its obvious that cryptic experimented with the graphic engine and they screwed it. It doesnt matter what pc do you have, you will get lag issues and slowliness in the undine battlezone. Thats the reason i played it once, and i already hate it. A really poor work from the devs, really poor. What a stupid season 9 lol.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, and this will not help ESD at all, but try this:

Go into the UI settings and completely turn off displaying damage numbers as well as ship names and see if that helps crowded space battles (it should).

Why am I suggesting this?

Long story short - the Cryptic engine is ABSOLUTE TRIBBLE when it comes to displaying text and numbers and such on the screen. Any and all UI elements eat FPS absolutely alive.

And it's not like players really encounter this too often (a dozen plus people all shooting at a singular object so they're all clumped together, along with a ton of mobs all shooting back). The only thing that really gets close is the Crystaline Entity fight, and that's not too busy (but busy enough that players should see this problem here too).

So anyway, give it a try. Turn off displaying damage numbers. Your FPS should see a serious spike (at least for those players who have beefy systems to begin with). And again, this is a Cryptic Engine issue - you just can't throw enough horsepower at it to fix it.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok Very recently, *as within 60mins before posting this* I bought a full set of Fluidic DHCs, DCs and turrets to throw on my Scimitar. Well I decided to pop in to Khitimer Vortex Elite. Come to find out that atleast 3 other players Also had the new fluidic weapons :O.

So as usual we started the assault on the tac cube, then all hell broke loose, once we all opened up on the tac cube my FPS Plummeted Hard Core almost went into the single digits. And this is Just with these new Fluidic Antiproton weapons, I did Vortex several time today with no issue till this last match where more then 1 person was using them.

This just proves that certain things if not most that was added with S9 is for some reason effecting FPS in an extremely adverse way. Shooting cannons in an STF should not drop my FPS to near single digits.

This also explains the HUGE FPS issues in the Undine battle zone and the Undine STFs.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aureleus wrote: »

This also explains the HUGE FPS issues in the Undine battle zone and the Undine STFs.

The fps drop isn't just in Undine zones it's *everywhere* for many of the posters here, myself included.
    somebob wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, and this will not help ESD at all, but try this:

Go into the UI settings and completely turn off displaying damage numbers as well as ship names and see if that helps crowded space battles (it should).

Why am I suggesting this?

Long story short - the Cryptic engine is ABSOLUTE TRIBBLE when it comes to displaying text and numbers and such on the screen. Any and all UI elements eat FPS absolutely alive.

And it's not like players really encounter this too often (a dozen plus people all shooting at a singular object so they're all clumped together, along with a ton of mobs all shooting back). The only thing that really gets close is the Crystaline Entity fight, and that's not too busy (but busy enough that players should see this problem here too).

So anyway, give it a try. Turn off displaying damage numbers. Your FPS should see a serious spike (at least for those players who have beefy systems to begin with). And again, this is a Cryptic Engine issue - you just can't throw enough horsepower at it to fix it.

This has been a problem from day 1. Just try hitting alt+f12 to disable UI and watch your frame rate jump back up.
    But the UI isn't the issue here. Something in the engine has been changed, causing a blanket cut to FPS.

I guess someone in cryptic misheard someones cry for an a2b nerf as "FPS IS OP, PLZ NERF".
    I need a beer.

• Options
    mouertemouerte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having FPS lag too +game crashes with "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006":(
    Game haven't really run right since LoR with crashes and launcher freezes.
    1920 x 1080
    Down to 15-20FPS in ESD 30-40FPS in Sol system NOT running max settings at all.

My rig
    MB : Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 have newest bios installed
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 8 core black edition
    RAM: Corsair Dominator platinum 16GB running at 2100MHz atm
    GPU: Asus Asus Geforce gtx 670 4GB DC2. Driver 335.23
    HD : Samsung SSD 840 PRO

Wth do I really need to buy a new PC to play this game? :mad:
  • Options
    jaxteboxlejaxteboxle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There was a little patch today, 50 odd mb, thought I'd log in to see if it helped. Went to New Romulus, walked around the looby, 15 or so people there, no problems. Then I went to train my bridge officers with some new skills, when the Officer Training window opened, my fps dropped from 60 to 44 (and stays at 44), instantly. Close the Officer Training window, it jumps back up to 60 again.

Side note: the lighting on everything is flat. Reman armor, for example has a shine, a pearlesence (sp) to it, but not its all very matte. Everyones armor is matter. And the textures take a while to load in when you stand next to someone.

Update: Went to ESD. No improvement really. If i pan the camera, or am around other people, fps drops down to 40 or so, (20 even at one point). With the UI off it seemed slightly better at first, but makes no difference really.

Feels like there are two problems, one with the UI and one with something else. I truly hope we get some kind of acknowledgment of this and that they fix it. I hate it when games developers just ignore problems - it's like, TRIBBLE you, we already have your money.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jaxteboxle wrote: »
    Feels like there are two problems, one with the UI and one with something else.

That's really what it comes down to. The UI takes up way more resources that it should. If I turn it off, I can double my FPS. There's something else going on too, but the UI is a main offender.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    but the UI is a main offender.

I don't think so. The UI has been that way pretty much since day one. The new problem causing the FPS drop is just that, new.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The fps drop isn't just in Undine zones it's *everywhere* for many of the posters here, myself included.

You really think that with all the posts I have put in this thread that I don't know this ? I am being Specific now with what is causing a great deal of the current causes for the drops in FPS. Yes I know the *New* ESD has horrid FPS and that the UI is now worse then ever. I'm simply pointing out other things that I my self am noticing that effect FPS. And tbh most the FPS drops in S9 is within all the new content and changes from S9, Including the newly redone Borg episodes, even they are causing FPS drops.
    I don't think so. The UI has been that way pretty much since day one. The new problem causing the FPS drop is just that, new.

Not entirely true, the UI has always been an issue even before S9, its just worse now :/ lol. I think what is Really happening now is that Cryptic is using more particles on special effects and higher resolution textures in S9, Hence why it was nearly a 3GB update. Only problem with adding all that eye candy is, Did they also update the old rendering engine to compensate for the added fidelity ?
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I've been running with the as much of the UI off as possible, I've still got my render slider low and I'm still hovering 4-5FPS in things like SB24 and Voth space BZ.

Let's see what the future brings.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have felt the changes in S9 aswell.

The Undine BZ is all but unplayable for me, since it turns into a slide show, or I get so much lag that my enitre rig locks up (I have come to call this lag-lock),forcing a restart, eihter soft or hard restart.

And just now, I got a CTD that said I had run out of video memory! That has NEVER happened before.

This to me suggests a memeory leak or other problems in the rendering engine Cryptic uses, as I have never been hit so hard as with S9 before.

My rig is not that old, got some GB ram (can't remember ammount), and a GeForce 9800GT, but has never had any real problems running STO at the highest resolution I can get away with.

This really needs a looking at ASAP Zulu Cryptic.

And for the record, SW:TOR has never given me any problems like this, apart from being laggy...
  • Options
    anyone#9933 anyone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Looking at the gpu ram might be a good idea. I've noticed (since S9) that after running the game for a few hours, makes it impossible for me to load textures. This goes for example for the duty officer screen, textures on npc or other flat textures.

I've switched to DX9ex and at least on Fleet Starbase Defense I had normal FPS again.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    inmydot wrote: »
    Looking at the gpu ram might be a good idea. I've noticed (since S9) that after running the game for a few hours, makes it impossible for me to load textures. This goes for example for the duty officer screen, textures on npc or other flat textures.

I've switched to DX9ex and at least on Fleet Starbase Defense I had normal FPS again.

I have noticed that since S9 was put live that the amount of Vram at 1080p with near max settings minus AA has almost doubled in amount. I'm using MSI afterburners OSD to show me this btw for those that are wondering. In S8-8.5 I averaged around 800MB of used Vram, now I am on average seeing around 1.2-1.4GBs in use *1.4GBs if AA is maxed out*. Mind you I have 4GBs of Vram on my 270X so its unlikely I'll get that error regarding the issue of not having enough Vram, But if I do then were know there's a memory leak :D lolz.

Also this *Might* help some, in the graphics settings try turning Soft Particles Off. I am thinking that with the new Undine content, mostly the weapons Special Effects. That Cryptic beefed up the particle amounts Way too much. Which is partially why we are all getting major FPS issues when fighting them.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Memory leak: No matter how much ram you have, it's not enough.;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My VRAM usage is also hovering at about 1.4Gb on a 270x with 4Gb. No recollection of what it might have been before, but I get this level of memory usage regardless of quality settings used or MSAA used.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Would be nice to hear you guys are atleast looking into this. I barely play anymore but figured what the hell, i'll do a nws tonight. Pre S9 i could go through wave 10 with max graphics with no issues, now my frames per second was dropping to a crawl on WAVE 2. Similar issues in the undine battlezone with the planet killers and voth fleet, though not as severe. Not exactly making me want to come back to the game when I have to put my graphics to minimum settings just so i can play. This is a high end system that can play games with far better graphics at max settings with no issue.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've managed to put my settings mostly back at medium. (I had Bloom and Lens Flare off either way.)
    Turns out I was already on DX9, and DX11 didn't improve anything (nor make it noticeably worse).

What did make the difference appears to be the setting that offloads calculations to the GPU. Turning that off managed to make my FPS drop to maybe the teens at worst, but usually the mid-twenties when it gets bad. When it's on, I could drop to low twenties or high teens in some parts of ESD, now it only drops to high twenties.

During intense fights (15 players piling onto a planet killer, or fighting off the swarms of Voth) my beams would occasionally disappear and I would just see numbers tick on top of the target, so it seems to be culling special effects rather than killing itself trying to render everything. In those cases my FPS was low to mid twenties instead of the single digits it was at before.

Maybe that's the culprit?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not too sure on the GPU setting. I've played around with the settings a lot and I don't recall that one making any noticeable difference for me certainly at least.

Still time for the problem to be investigated though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not too sure on the GPU setting. I've played around with the settings a lot and I don't recall that one making any noticeable difference for me certainly at least.

Still time for the problem to be investigated though.

This.
    10/chars
    I need a beer.

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    colson15 wrote: »
    Extremely similar rig to yours and I am having horrid fps issues and hiccups as well.

You can add my name to this as well :(
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited April 2014
    You can add my name to this as well :(

Let me get another ream of paper then. :(
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well from past experience ..

1) There used to be a map memory leak ages ago. Anytime you opened map it would get worse and worse

2) DX11 is a nightmare. I would get 7-9 FPS in DX11

Im having some of the same issues. I thought at first it was just server load. For years I have never had any issues and could keep most settings on high.

For me the biggest issue is the final Bonus round in the Dyson Undine map. Its just unplayable. I cant move, cant see my weapons firing and get incredible lag.

Other group maps get really laggy when you have other players with fighters or people who feel the need to photonic ships and fleet support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well from past experience ..

1) There used to be a map memory leak ages ago. Anytime you opened map it would get worse and worse

2) DX11 is a nightmare. I would get 7-9 FPS in DX11

Im having some of the same issues. I thought at first it was just server load. For years I have never had any issues and could keep most settings on high.

For me the biggest issue is the final Bonus round in the Dyson Undine map. Its just unplayable. I cant move, cant see my weapons firing and get incredible lag.

Other group maps get really laggy when you have other players with fighters or people who feel the need to photonic ships and fleet support.

What are your PC Spec's ? cause I use DX11 with No Hassle, and my settings are nearly Maxed out at 1080p, only time I started to run into issues was After Season 9 was released. Also the use of the new Fluidic Antiproton weapons have a huge impact on FPS throughout the game.

For starters in your case try to turn Soft Particles Off and turn down the settings for Visual FX, there be both under the Graphics tab in the options area.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No one else bothered to log memory usage? Once your memory is full, your fps is toast.:D

Everything ppl mentioned helps delay the inevitable crash.;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    What are your PC Spec's ? cause I use DX11 with No Hassle, and my settings are nearly Maxed out at 1080p, only time I started to run into issues was After Season 9 was released. Also the use of the new Fluidic Antiproton weapons have a huge impact on FPS throughout the game.

For starters in your case try to turn Soft Particles Off and turn down the settings for Visual FX, there be both under the Graphics tab in the options area.

What this guy said. Even my old rig used to be able to handle DX11 with no issues performance wise.

BTW, just a little update. My issue seems to have been cleared up on tribble. Performance is right back up there, even at the high settings I had before! In fact, cpu usage has dropped across the board, idling is now down to around 22%! That's even better than it was before!
    Hopefully, this is one thing that makes it from tribble to holodeck without problems!

noblet wrote: »
    No one else bothered to log memory usage? Once your memory is full, your fps is toast.:D

Everything ppl mentioned helps delay the inevitable crash.;)

For me, ram is not the issue. It's cpu usage. Also just a friendly heads up, your condescending tone might offend some people.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is really pathetic how low the FPS go to now in some levels like No Win Scenario. I'm basically getting 1-2FPS with everything on Min/LOW settings in Season 9. Worked in Season 8.5.

Intel i3, 4GB Ram, Win7 64, nVidia 750GT

Fix this.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What this guy said. Even my old rig used to be able to handle DX11 with no issues performance wise.

BTW, just a little update. My issue seems to have been cleared up on tribble. Performance is right back up there, even at the high settings I had before! In fact, cpu usage has dropped across the board, idling is now down to around 22%! That's even better than it was before!
    Hopefully, this is one thing that makes it from tribble to holodeck without problems!

For me, ram is not the issue. It's cpu usage. Also just a friendly heads up, your condescending tone might offend some people.

The performance your getting on Tribble is based on the simple fact that there are nearly no players per map that your on at any given time. That alone will do performance wise what your getting, but its not your actual performance. Tribble has gotten the same patches as the Holodeck *before actually* excluding the 1 from today, which has no performance tweaks in it.

Also I just did a small test run in the Undine battle zone with my Fluidic DHCs etc, the performance hit is still there and nearly as bad, but since there aren't other players the performance was better, but that's it.

Not to be totally an TRIBBLE here, don't compare an Apple to a sloppy joe, the difference in performance with either server is very big just in the fact of limited population vs heavy population.