Install Arc
Options

Joystick/Controller Not Working [Fixed]

123457»

Comments

• Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A "community manager" "investigating" by pointlessly asking for everyone's exact hardware and OS is VERY different from QA verification that the problem exists. Users say all kinds of nonsense. QA verification is what matters.
    Because it's not considered a "known issue". Generally, a known issue will be one that a developer or QA has verified. None of them use joysticks, so no confirmation of the issue.
    Because they don't use Tribble for feedback. They get telemetry from the client and don't listen to anything players write.

It's very obvious that S9's patch changed the way STO handles input. (just look at the keyboard config changes) That Xbox controllers are reported to work puts a giant bullseye on STO's handling of DX's DirectInput as the culprit. (Xbox controllers and controllers in "X" mode use Xinput, while all other joysticks use DirectInput)

The existance of the problem is obvious and immediate to anyone with a joystick. The culprit is obvious from the reported data. The fix may actually be very hard if STO was previously using DirectInput for mouse/keyboard and has now ripped out DirectInput entirely in favor of windows message loop. If that's the case, then they'll have to have someone go back into the code and figure out how to convince DirectInput to work with joysticks without messing up the new system they put in place for mouse/keyboard.

Personally, I have no interest in playing the game unless they fix it. Since S9 was relased, all I've done is get some rep projects going each day. A space flight sim game without joystick support is a nonstarter for me.

As i said, when they say they are investigating, they are doing just that. And they do fix it when they say "investigating". Point proven :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    i think the default, being right stick for camera, left stick for movement, is like that because just about every game i have ever played, the defaults are those i just mentioned. :)

That's just it though, just seems unnatural to move the stick to the left or right and slide sideways, moving it and actually turning in that direction seems so much more natural. At least when I walk I don't move sideways, I turn in the direction I want to face while walking forward. So that's how it should be in a video game.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    That's just it though, just seems unnatural to move the stick to the left or right and slide sideways, moving it and actually turning in that direction seems so much more natural. At least when I walk I don't move sideways, I turn in the direction I want to face while walking forward. So that's how it should be in a video game.

In the game options, under "controls" tab, do you have " Always face forward" on? If you do, that is what will be making you strafe.

I have mine turned off. I dont use strafe. I can have the camera facing forward, while having my toon facing me, walking left or right, i can move the camera around and walk any which direction. And thats using the default sticks :)
    Im only guessing you have the " Always face forward" turned on, which is on by default. Just a thought anyway :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What controller you using?

If you using a logitech, try using the logitech profiler. Works great for me. Look at post above yours to see how i have mine setup.
    If it would be useful for you, i.e, you're using a logitech controller, i can quite easily upload both a xml file for the profiler and the .txt file for the ingame keybinds to google docs so you can download them and use them yourself, and you could alter them to suit what you're comfortable with :)

I think it comes up as 'GAMPAD 3 TURBO' in Windows it's one of those cheap knock off PS3 controller you can get from anywhere and everywhere, could probably do with a new one really, this one is missing the L2 and R2 buttons now!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    irwin109 wrote: »
    I think it comes up as 'GAMPAD 3 TURBO' in Windows it's one of those cheap knock off PS3 controller you can get from anywhere and everywhere, could probably do with a new one really, this one is missing the L2 and R2 buttons now!

ahhh, pity. I think the logitech profiler is only good for logitech controllers. My dual action cost only i think about $20. Been a great controller. Easy to configure once you worked out how.
    If you decide to get one, i would be more then happy to upload my profile for you so you can use it, along with the keybinds ingame :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In the game options, under "controls" tab, do you have " Always face forward" on? If you do, that is what will be making you strafe.

I have mine turned off. I dont use strafe. I can have the camera facing forward, while having my toon facing me, walking left or right, i can move the camera around and walk any which direction. And thats using the default sticks :)
    Im only guessing you have the " Always face forward" turned on, which is on by default. Just a thought anyway :)

You're right I do have "always face forward" turned on but because I like the behind my character view of being able to see in the direction my character is looking and not having the camera independent of movement. But that's just me.

The main problem with the default and turning off "always face forward" is you have to use the right stick to change the camera view. and with my layout I need my right thumb free to press buttons especially in combat. Not saying you're is wrong it works for you, mine works for me.

It's like in space, most players prefer Free camera mode and the camera view independent of the ship. Me I prefer chase mode for 2 reasons, it locks cam and movement together making it feel like I'm flying or "driving" the ship and makes it so I don't have to use the right stick to change the view, I just turn the ship if I want to look in a certain direction. Which leaves my thumb free to use the buttons.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ahhh, pity. I think the logitech profiler is only good for logitech controllers. My dual action cost only i think about $20. Been a great controller. Easy to configure once you worked out how.
    If you decide to get one, i would be more then happy to upload my profile for you so you can use it, along with the keybinds ingame :)

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I find using the profiler too limiting. I did ALL my key binding in game by typing out the commands and using the tool tips on the binds page as a guide to what I wanted to change. The main reason for this is even though I use some buttons as modifiers I also like to use them for independent functions as well. take my select button by itself it's my "scan" button and works great, but when in combo with a,b,x, or y, sets the mode of my carrier pets.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You're right I do have "always face forward" turned on but because I like the behind my character view of being able to see in the direction my character is looking and not having the camera independent of movement. But that's just me.

The main problem with the default and turning off "always face forward" is you have to use the right stick to change the camera view. and with my layout I need my right thumb free to press buttons especially in combat. Not saying you're is wrong it works for you, mine works for me.

It's like in space, most players prefer Free camera mode and the camera view independent of the ship. Me I prefer chase mode for 2 reasons, it locks cam and movement together making it feel like I'm flying or "driving" the ship and makes it so I don't have to use the right stick to change the view, I just turn the ship if I want to look in a certain direction. Which leaves my thumb free to use the buttons.

Yeah, i get what you mean now. :) Everyone is different. I guess im just used to playin default way :)

With the ship, i use follow target. But, im using mouse & k/b for space, purely because the way i have my controller setup for ground. I cant seem to get a configuration right for space without messing up my ground binds. But this is also due to the space flight not working properly with controller. :) With any luck, they'll fix that soon as well. :) But at least we can play. I was getting withdrawals while controller wasnt workin right lol
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Maybe I'm in the minority here but I find using the profiler too limiting. I did ALL my key binding in game by typing out the commands and using the tool tips on the binds page as a guide to what I wanted to change. The main reason for this is even though I use some buttons as modifiers I also like to use them for independent functions as well. take my select button by itself it's my "scan" button and works great, but when in combo with a,b,x, or y, sets the mode of my carrier pets.

mmmm, i might have to try reconfiguring of key binds only then and just see where that takes me. If i dont like it, well, i can just load up my style :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thinking about remapping my joy stick to the wasd keys. But I don't think that will be a good idea.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rvt00 wrote: »
    thinking about remapping my joy stick to the wasd keys. But I don't think that will be a good idea.

Well, it'd make it usable, but it'd be on or off.
    Is this for ground or space or both?
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I take it I am not the only one who is having their ship not bank when turning with a joystick? Is there a work around other than remap to WASD keys?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No banking here either.

But I'm not sure it's slowing my turn rate. I honestly can't tell.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well, it'd make it usable, but it'd be on or off.
    Is this for ground or space or both?

Its for space so I can start banking again.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    i have come to notice that when i am in sector space, if i use the autopilot, i find when the ship starts taking off, it doesnt bank, as if im using the stick on the controller. After a few seconds, it starts banking.
    Im not sure if its doing the same thing in a system or not tho.

But i think this is whats causing the flat turning.

On another note, i would really love to be able to do 360x360 turns. Meaning barrel rolls in the X and Y axis. This is space afterall, there is no up or down in space. There is no right way up. This would especially be great when you enter a system, and you have enemies right above your ship.
    Just a 75 degree in the Y axis, doesnt really help in an instance like that
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrguaccmdrguac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Where would I find the mapping for an xbox controller. I can't even figure if things are broken or not ?
  • Options
    kamikazi2142kamikazi2142 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A controller gives much more precise control than simple WASD movement and access to all tray powers at your fingertips. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, I could never get the hang of using a keyboard without looking down to make sure I'm hitting the right keys, which is something you can't do in combat. With a controller I never have to look away.

As for the LTS thing... I happen to be a lifetime subscriber so basically i lost out on my $300 for an unplayable game. the reason I bought it was because I could use a controller, and do so with my own custom set of binds.

.... so basically you don't know how to use a mouse? I use the mouse to click all the skills, and to be honest, its freakin easy!

My Xbox 360 controller hasn't worked with STO since November 2011, HOWEVER, it does show up in the list of devices, it just doesn't do anything other than show up in the list.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I haven't been on in a week. Did they fix the issue with ships not banking while turning using a controller?
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nope, not yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Has anyone figure out any work arounds?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I found a fix you guys. First you must be in space. Go to your options and then go to the "key Binds" tab (which is between the Controls tab and the HUD tab). The first four options which are "pitch up, pitch down, turn left, turn right" bind the joystick controller to the Bind #2 columns to those options. So for "pitch up" you would press up on your joystick to bind it and for "turn left" you would press left on your joystick and so on and so on. After this you should now bank again using your game controller.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    NYKO AIR-FLO EX gamepad controller which was working previously through me having mapped via its software its buttons to keyboard commands / keys.

With Season 9 ... ARC took over and "updated" my Steam's version of STO and boom .... it no longer works.

Sucked my enjoyment of playing the game right down the tubes. :(
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    bonsai2200bonsai2200 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My Saitek X-52Pro HOTAS flight stick is not working either, it seems like they have some how disabled/blocked all of the games X,Y,Z, etc;"Axis" controls, as I get no ship movement from any axis setting on my joystick but all of the Button Maps are working perfectly! I agree with several earlier posts, for Flying/Space Combat there is nothing better than a joystick/controller but for Ground Combat nothing beats the mouse & keypad/keyboard combination! The most common complaint for joysticks that I have seen, is that you cant use the Throttle Axis if you have a flightstick because the game will not recognize it, however with my Saitek software I have mapped every needed space combat command to my flightstick and that includes the throttle, therefore I never even have to touch the keyboard or mouse while I am in space, except for a couple of things that have no command button in the game, such as Warp in and out of star systems to sector space, I hope they get this fixed ASAP as I will not play the game without being able to use my Joystick and I will stop my supscription until this issue is fixed!!!

Hi all.
    I have a Saitec x52 with rudder pedals and thrust control. If i try to use this (unfortunately very EXPENSIVE) Hardware my ship does anything - but not what it SHOULD do. I tried programming it for several weeks now - for nothing. It just won´t work wether i use key commands or try to Change the Standard programming in the STO-Set (which seems not to be possible because the commands aren´t proceeded).

This can really TRIBBLE someone off i´m shure. I wished someone in the Team would either say that it´s not possible to Play it with this Hardware or fix the Problem finally.

cheers
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's still not fixed.

Got my controller working a couple days ago and it died again today.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I too use the F310 joystick because I got use to it, the joystick works fine on Hoildeck server but not on Tribble. I can use the switch on the bottom of the controler and get partical use from it but not all. It's the same sitution as with the last major update. I understand you guys are busy getting it ready to go live but it would be great if you could add the support. This is true of all my captians, they (the buttons) work fine as mapped on Hoildeck, but on Tribble only limited as an XBox would. Thanks in advance.