What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Joystick/Controller Not Working [Fixed]

Comments

• Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yup, we got an update that the patch on Tribble has been successful, and they are going to port this fix over to Holodeck... during this Thursday's maintenance!

Hooray!

Watch for today's Holodeck Patch Notes for the upcoming fix that will hit the live server tomorrow after our regularly scheduled weekly maintenance.

While this fix is functioning well on Tribble, once this hits Holodeck tomorrow, we can keep posts going in this thread for any leftover issues that might continue to trouble anyone.

Let us know if anything continues to malfunction, but I am hoping you will all be back in-game with no more worries from controller woes.

Thansk for your patience everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

Yes, have my fingers and toes crossed it will work again. :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    Yes, have my fingers and toes crossed it will work again. :)

Cross your antennae too :)

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Cross your antennae too :)

~CaptainSmirk

lol. I will......well, i would if i had an andorian toon :) I will soon tho
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    lol. I will......well, i would if i had an andorian toon :) I will soon tho

Well, better create one now, or we all know who to blame when this doesn't work.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, better create one now, or we all know who to blame when this doesn't work.

lol ok ok im on it :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Excellent, a quick test and it seems to be working again.

Now it just some loadout bugs to go and things will work as well as last season, plus all the nice new content.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kazabok wrote: »

Now it just some loadout bugs to go and things will work as well as last season, plus all the nice new content.

Excellent to hear :) Hopefully others have the same luck as you.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kazabok wrote: »

We have a bigger and essential problem now, weapon graphics are invisible.. so.. lol. And people will not play until that is fixed.. at least a lot of em. But its glad that the joystick is working again, lol.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Good news for me. Got my computer up and running again, but it's a whole new system basically. PSU was shot on old one, took old motherboard with it. My better half works as a computer tech so he managed to snag a new motherboard and cpu because my old one wouldn't fit in the new board. So Now I have a 3.5 Ghz 8-core where my old cpu was a 3 Ghz Quad core. My old videocard actually survived. Unfortunately my monitor was damaged and I now have to use an old one I had lying around that's only 1440 X 900. But at least I can play STO now.

Oh and the bets news of all: MY CONTROLLER WORKS AGAIN IN STO
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    captmunroecaptmunroe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    FYI: Not all controllers are working.

I use a wired xbox 360 controller, and when I use it, my ship turns flat, like it's a car going around a corner... This isn't the biggest of problems, but it is annoying, and it does seem to have a slightly negative effect on turning radius.

I hope that you'll get this fixed, as I much prefer using a controller over keyboard/mouse...
  • Options
    vulcanmonkvulcanmonk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just tested and the X and Y axis are now working again.:)
    Sacca Gavesaka, Fleet Admiral, Commanding
    BSG-Benne Gesserit Consortium
  • Options
    rognzrognz Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    first glad this issue for most is solved however using my xbox controller is still! affecting the way my ships turn in all maps. The ships all turn one a big flat slow circle no banking. is any one else having issues still or am I just that lucky
  • Options
    magewarrior69magewarrior69 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As pleased as I am that the axis movements are working again, the issue is still not resolved, the ship does turn but it does not turn & bank like it is supposed to for making left and right turns, the turns it is making are like the ones the ship used to make when the impulse engines were below 25%, straight left and right and without banking the turns are much slower than before!!!
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So it is, I'm getting flat, not banking turns too.

I can't tell if they're slower or not to be honest.
  • Options
    rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm getting flat, not banking turns too. It must be a universal problem
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Is everyone who is getting flat turns running an x-box controller?

Also which camera mode are you running in?

I'm using a logitech dual action in Chase cam mode and the turns are working the way they should, banking fine.

May help the devs determine if the problem is with x-box controllers or the camera.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Good to hear controllers are working again :) I wont be able to try it till i get back from my dentist appointment tho :( Hate going to dentists lol
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    While joystick will now turn my ship, when I turn my ship with the joystick, it doesn't bank. (The same "flat" turning mentioned above by people with Xbox controllers even when DirectInput joysticks weren't working) I'm not certain if it's actually even turning at the rate it's supposed to. It certainly FEELS like it's turning much slower, but that could easily be confirmation bias.

The experience is very odd and not at all comfortable to play. What's even stranger: If I reach over to the keyboard and turn with wasd, the ship will bank properly.

I couldn't even hazard a guess as to why this is happening. One would think ship banking would be calculating based on speed and turn rate and have absolutely nothing to do with the input type...
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    Nope, Logitech G13 here, no banking.
    Free Camera. Tried changing it to chase cam, still no banking. Restarted after making the change, just to be sure, still no banking.
    I'm using a logitech dual action in Chase cam mode and the turns are working the way they should, banking fine.
    Did you rebind the joystick to use wasd while it was broken? Perhaps it's still there?

I also tried recalibrating the joystick and resetting the x/y in STO's config, no change.

Then I did something silly, with even sillier results:

1) I started turning with the mouse, which caused the ship to bank.

2) I then turned the joystick in the direction I was banking with the mouse button

3) I let go of the mouse button

4) I continued to bank with the joystick turned.

5) I turned the joystick up, down, the other direction, and continued to bank.

6) As long as the ship was still banking, it would continue to bank, even if it switched to bank in the opposite direction.

7) As soon as I stopped turning, banking stopped and would not resume while turning with the joystick.

From this data, my guess is that there is some sort of "start banking" flag, presumably to stop the ships from weirdly banking when hit with a knockback or collision or something along those lines. If that's the case, it should be an easy fix.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think i had that problem with the ship not turning even before s9. It'd turn, but the ship would actually nearly come to a stop.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Nope, Logitech G13 here, no banking.

Free Camera. Tried changing it to chase cam, still no banking. Restarted after making the change, just to be sure, still no banking.

Did you rebind the joystick to use wasd while it was broken? Perhaps it's still there?

I also tried recalibrating the joystick and resetting the x/y in STO's config, no change.

Then I did something silly, with even sillier results:

1) I started turning with the mouse, which caused the ship to bank.

2) I then turned the joystick in the direction I was banking with the mouse button

3) I let go of the mouse button

4) I continued to bank with the joystick turned.

5) I turned the joystick up, down, the other direction, and continued to bank.

6) As long as the ship was still banking, it would continue to bank, even if it switched to bank in the opposite direction.

7) As soon as I stopped turning, banking stopped and would not resume while turning with the joystick.

From this data, my guess is that there is some sort of "start banking" flag, presumably to stop the ships from weirdly banking when hit with a knockback or collision or something along those lines. If that's the case, it should be an easy fix.

I didn't rebind my controller for wasd.

Though I do do something others might not, in controller settings, I assign the camera x axis to my left stick, and movement x-axis to the right stick, swapping them, I leave the y and z alone. and use the left stick for any movement or flying.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I didn't rebind my controller for wasd.

Though I do do something others might not, in controller settings, I assign the camera x axis to my left stick, and movement x-axis to the right stick, swapping them, I leave the y and z alone. and use the left stick for any movement or flying.

i wont alter the sticks in any way. I leave them as defaults. If i go changing them, it will mess up what im used to using for the last 3yrs. So my camera stays on right stick while movement on left. I also looked at configuring the keybinds, to see if i could get around the ship movement some how, there is no way. Anything i go to do, will upset my binds for ground. Meaning, i can only have my profiler to suit one way or another. Im ok with using mouse & k/b for space, but not ground. For me, space is just throttle, camera(mouse), and tray. Ground, is moving left,right,forward,back, camera, strafing, and skills. The way i have my controller setup, is perfect for ground. Using Button 7 as a "control" key from k/b, and D pad for skill tray 2, i hold the 7 button, then just do a circle on d pad, skill tray 2 done. Run a circle without button 7, skill tray 1 done.
    Hold button 7 and press button 1 is roll. Button 1 on its own is jump.
    Hold button 7 and press button 2 is scan. Button 2 on its own is crouch.
    Hold button 7 and press button 3 is shooter mode. Button 3 on its own is aim mode.
    Hold button 7 and press button 4 is holster weapon. Button 4 on its own is switch weapon.
    Hold button 7 and press button 9 is toggle show ui. Button 9 on its own is interact.
    Hold button 7 and press button 10 is Map . Button 10 on its own is screenshot.
    Press down on left stick is run. Holding 7 and pressing down on left stick is inventory
    Press down on right stick is skill tray 1 pos 3. button 7 with rt stick is skill tray 2 pos 3.
    button 5 is main fire weapon, or skill tray 1 pos 1. button 6 is secondary fire or skill tray 1 pos 2
    and of course holding 7, while using 5 or 6 is skill tray 2 pos 1 & 2.
    On D pad, i use all positions, right, right lower, down, left, left lower, up, left upper and right upper.
    With Right on D pad, its for target next enemy and with button 7 its crew attack my target.

Button 8, took me some time to figure out what i wanted to use that for as i have everything covered that i use ingame, and then some. So, I used that for zoom in slow and with button 7 its zoom out slow.

The left and right sticks, haven't altered them in any way. They are at default settings, and works great as is. Can walk or jog and turn with left stick, or by pressing down on left stick i can run. I have the setting " Always face forward " turned off in the ingame controls menu because i use the right stick as camera. And right stick camera goes any way you want it to face. But pressing down on right stick does use a skill position as mentioned above.

If anyone wants me to post my profiler for logitech up, post sayin so, and i will upload it to a site as a downloadable xml file for you, so all you will have to do is download the xml, import it to profiler, make any adjustments you want to it, change your ingame keybinds to suit the controller config and save them :)

I could also upload the ingame keybinds i have setup to match the controller if you like. Which for you, just download the profiler to say desktop, open profiler, click on "profile " at top and select import, and then just guide it to the xml on your desktop.
    Same with the ingame keybinds, but instead of being a xml file, it will be a .txt file. Which, all you do is open up the STO directory, being " C:Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live, move the ".txt" file to the " Live " folder, load up game, go to the chat window, and type " /bind_load_file DefaultGround.txt ", without qoutations, and you are done. :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Pre-Season 9 I used combination of the in game controller function and a program called Joy2Key, I did this because the button mapping in the menu did not come close to doing what I wanted (ground combat essentially) so STO handled the analog sticks while Joy2Key let me chose my buttons (i.e. button 13 presses f, clicking the right analog jumps and so on) however since controller function has returned I cannot seem to use the Joy2Key side of things, any ideas? I'd really love to have the functionality I had beforehand.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    irwin109 wrote: »
    Pre-Season 9 I used combination of the in game controller function and a program called Joy2Key, I did this because the button mapping in the menu did not come close to doing what I wanted (ground combat essentially) so STO handled the analog sticks while Joy2Key let me chose my buttons (i.e. button 13 presses f, clicking the right analog jumps and so on) however since controller function has returned I cannot seem to use the Joy2Key side of things, any ideas? I'd really love to have the functionality I had beforehand.

What controller you using?

If you using a logitech, try using the logitech profiler. Works great for me. Look at post above yours to see how i have mine setup.
    If it would be useful for you, i.e, you're using a logitech controller, i can quite easily upload both a xml file for the profiler and the .txt file for the ingame keybinds to google docs so you can download them and use them yourself, and you could alter them to suit what you're comfortable with :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014

May help the devs determine if the problem is with x-box controllers or the camera.

I'm using a logitech rumble gamepad F510 with Free Camera mode and my ship turns on a flat.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rvt00 wrote: »
    I'm using a logitech rumble gamepad F510 with Free Camera mode and my ship turns on a flat.

Your solution is simple just switch it to "d" mode on the back. then it should bank when turning.

oh and turn off x-box controllers in options, and joysticks on.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Your solution is simple just switch it to "d" mode on the back. then it should bank when turning.

oh and turn off x-box controllers in options, and joysticks on.

Actually I May be wrong in that response, as it seems I found out something.

On a whim I tried turning using my right stick, while in sector space.. and guess what, it turned flat as a pancake. I guess my setting the cam to my left stick helps me avoid this as when in chase mode it locks cam and movement together. try using right stick, the default turn (strafe on the ground) stick and it turns flat in any cam mode.

So mine banking while turning is a happy combo of swapped axises and the cam mode I'm using.

Though honestly I don't see why my setup isn't the default. On ground it makes movement so much easier because you can turn while moving and still use the buttons on the controller, the same in space in chase mode my right thumb is free to mash buttons instead of trying to turn with the right stick. The regular default just seems so counter-intuitive.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Should someone start a new thread since this one is officially fix and we're getting no response from the devs about this new issue?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Actually I May be wrong in that response, as it seems I found out something.

On a whim I tried turning using my right stick, while in sector space.. and guess what, it turned flat as a pancake. I guess my setting the cam to my left stick helps me avoid this as when in chase mode it locks cam and movement together. try using right stick, the default turn (strafe on the ground) stick and it turns flat in any cam mode.

So mine banking while turning is a happy combo of swapped axises and the cam mode I'm using.

Though honestly I don't see why my setup isn't the default. On ground it makes movement so much easier because you can turn while moving and still use the buttons on the controller, the same in space in chase mode my right thumb is free to mash buttons instead of trying to turn with the right stick. The regular default just seems so counter-intuitive.

i think the default, being right stick for camera, left stick for movement, is like that because just about every game i have ever played, the defaults are those i just mentioned. :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rvt00 wrote: »
    Should someone start a new thread since this one is officially fix and we're getting no response from the devs about this new issue?

Smirk did say to keep it going if there are any other controller issues
    planet-space-sun.jpg