Options

Joystick/Controller Not Working [Fixed]

Comments

• Options
    cptpreusscptpreuss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Logitech Rumblepad 2
    Windows 7 Home Edition

But before season 9 it always works in normal parameters...and it also does in any other game... only STO don´t like my pad anymore :(
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Windows 7 with Logitech G13.

The logitech G13 itself works fine, it's ONLY the specific joystick input that fails. Remap thumbstick to keys and it sends the keys.

You have broken DirectInput. That is why Xbox controllers and controllers in Xbox-mode work: They use Xinput instead of DirectInput that all these other joysticks use.

I also note that this STILL is not on the "Known Issues" list.

And wtf are you monkeying around DirectInput for? The API hasn't changed in 6 years.
  • Options
    foxyfoxfoxfoxyfoxfox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    joystick not working still after last patch, worked fine before season 9, windows 8.1 see's the joystick, or any other stick i try for that matter, the game however does not

using a Saitek ST 90
    and a logitec ATC3

please fix this, as i am not playing the game, only going in occasionally to see if the issue is fixed, if not, i leave.
  • Options
    n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can add my Logitech F310 to the list of joy sticks that (STILL, after Thursday April 24 2014 patch) doesn't either, yes it does have the switch for the XBOX controller and that part does work but obviously the key mapping doesn't work.

As (I'm assuming) a lot of lifetime members are less than happy about their controllers not working, as am I. At least the 'powers that be' could acknowledge that they are aware of this issue and it's on their list of things to be fixed might at least be favorable in the customer relations department. I am 64 soon to be 65 and I enjoy the game but when things like this seem to continue without some acknowledgement that the 'joy stick' problem is on the list, it doesn't make me think very highly of those in control.

I just retired from a place after working there for 40 years, I've seen good management and not so good management, sorry to say what I'm seeing so far doesn't fall into the 'good' side. Don't rush out a product to your customers that hasn't had a reasonable amount of testing.
  • Options
    azogossazogoss Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also use a logic Attack 3 for space flight and to be frank i cant get used to keyboard controls only again like when i started playing nearly a year ago. so its also ruined my experience of sto and i am now not playing until it's fixed. If not bye STO for me too unless i find a viable kb to joystick mapping software. I could live with the rep nerf even if i dont agree with it but not this issue.
  • Options
    n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Logitech F310
    Windows 8.1
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another Logitech Attack 3 on Windows 7 not working.

Works fine with everything else, fails only in STO.
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Please fix! I am actually looking at game pads now as I am interested.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    glitterw1ngglitterw1ng Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CH Products Fighterstick
    CH Products Pro Throttle
    Ch Manager 4.55
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Does no one at Cryptic own a joystick?

I'm a bit surprised they haven't been able to test this.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kazabok wrote: »
    Does no one at Cryptic own a joystick?

I'm a bit surprised they haven't been able to test this.

From what I hear x-box controllers still work at the default settings. Guessing they never tested for other controller types, or custom controller binds.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Are there any updates from the devs about the status of this issue?
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    From what I hear x-box controllers still work at the default settings. Guessing they never tested for other controller types, or custom controller binds.
    Considering they're running a space flight game, the idea that none of them have a proper joystick is pretty scary.

And I doubt they tested with xbox controllers. Xbox controllers only work because they use a different input process than normal joysticks. For more than a decade, joysticks in windows have used DirectInput. Because microsoft is microsoft, they made a different system for Xbox controllers called Xinput.

DirectInput also could handle mouse/keyboard. Some years back, MS started recommending games use Windows message loop for mouse/keyboard instead of DirectInput and Xinput for xbox controllers. However, DirectInput is still the standard for normal joysticks in Windows.

I wouldn't be surprised if this update changed STO to use Message loop for keyboard/mouse. However, they completely neglected to realize that there is now no general joystick interface because none of them personally use one, and all the reports of it on tribble are ignored, because they always ignore problems reported on tribble.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The team is investigating with joysticks and controllers alike.

Hope to have more news for you soon, but in the mean time, we are aware of the issue so hang tight players.

Thanks for your patience!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Hope to have more news for you soon, but in the mean time, we are aware of the issue so hang tight players.

~CaptainSmirk

Thanks for the update, BTW did my discovery about the change to the bind files help them in any way?
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    imagolfer1968imagolfer1968 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Saitek Cyborg Rumblepad
    Windows 7 64-bit
  • Options
    valkoth78valkoth78 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Had to remap the axis to keystrokes with isn't as smooth as before :(
    Please fix it, having to recenter the stick for a simple change of moving direction is annoying
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    valkoth78 wrote: »
    Had to remap the axis to keystrokes with isn't as smooth as before :(
    Please fix it, having to recenter the stick for a simple change of moving direction is annoying

You're lucky, some of us have controllers with completely analog joysticks that can't be mapped for wasd type movement. Really sucks considering there's a time limit on the new featured episode.,
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited April 2014

~CaptainSmirk
    Why is this not in the known issues part of the patch notes?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1095351

Makes me feel like it's low priority or not considered an issue.
  • Options
    nodithnodith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Joysticks still not working so bump it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Another day, and no acknowledgement of this on the patch notes. Nevermind a fix, they don't even recognize it as a known issue.

I don't think this will get fixed any time soon. Game is not any fun to play with clunky keyboard turning and mouse turning in space kinda sucks.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Oddly sticks still work fine in Champions Online, another Cryptic game, so it really does seem to be just a STO issue.
  • Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another day, and no acknowledgement of this on the patch notes. Nevermind a fix, they don't even recognize it as a known issue.

I don't think this will get fixed any time soon. Game is not any fun to play with clunky keyboard turning and mouse turning in space kinda sucks.

They have acknowledged this problem. Smirk has commented here, and add " investigating" to the name of this thread.
    Why its not in the known issues of patch notes, i don't know.
    Why they released the s9 patch after people told them controllers are not working, again, i dont know. I can only presume its either the bosses saying "just release it, broken or not" or money, new lockbox, more money. If its the bosses doin, they should be fired. Getting tired of seeing broken patches released on holodeck when they know there is something wrong. Same thing happened with s8 and s8.5.
    Sorry, but this releasing broken patches and THEN fixing them, has to stop! That IS what tribble is for isn't it?
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    foxyfoxfoxfoxyfoxfox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is pretty much only a bump to keep the thread active, another patch, and no controller fix as far as joysticks

here is hoping they get it fixed by next patch, and realize this is not really going away.

i tend to pay by purchasing perfect world cards, currently, i will not be purchasing any, as i am not playing the game currently, and will not till the controller issue is fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kazabok wrote: »
    Oddly sticks still work fine in Champions Online, another Cryptic game, so it really does seem to be just a STO issue.

Considering both games use the same engine, can't they compare the code from both to find out what they changed to mess it up here? I personally have given them a major clue as to what's wrong. I still think that the button/stick assignments in the bind files being changed to hex addresses plays a major part in this.

Edit: just checked bind files in champions by saving my binds there and checking the file and everything is the way it should be.

This is definitely an issue with the button/stick names somehow being changed to hex addresses in those files in STO. Something is changing them and that is making the controllers not work.

Added note. on the options page where you turn on/off controllers or select controllers or x-box type. it won't even recognize stick axis/camera rotation reassignment inputs. As I prefer swapping my camera left/right rotation to the left stick so I can turn while going forward instead of strafing on ground.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    looks like we could be putting up with this for the weekend :(
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    They have acknowledged this problem. Smirk has commented here, and add " investigating" to the name of this thread.
    A "community manager" "investigating" by pointlessly asking for everyone's exact hardware and OS is VERY different from QA verification that the problem exists. Users say all kinds of nonsense. QA verification is what matters.
    Why its not in the known issues of patch notes, i don't know.
    Because it's not considered a "known issue". Generally, a known issue will be one that a developer or QA has verified. None of them use joysticks, so no confirmation of the issue.
    Why they released the s9 patch after people told them controllers are not working, again, i dont know.
    Because they don't use Tribble for feedback. They get telemetry from the client and don't listen to anything players write.

It's very obvious that S9's patch changed the way STO handles input. (just look at the keyboard config changes) That Xbox controllers are reported to work puts a giant bullseye on STO's handling of DX's DirectInput as the culprit. (Xbox controllers and controllers in "X" mode use Xinput, while all other joysticks use DirectInput)

The existance of the problem is obvious and immediate to anyone with a joystick. The culprit is obvious from the reported data. The fix may actually be very hard if STO was previously using DirectInput for mouse/keyboard and has now ripped out DirectInput entirely in favor of windows message loop. If that's the case, then they'll have to have someone go back into the code and figure out how to convince DirectInput to work with joysticks without messing up the new system they put in place for mouse/keyboard.

Personally, I have no interest in playing the game unless they fix it. Since S9 was relased, all I've done is get some rep projects going each day. A space flight sim game without joystick support is a nonstarter for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    A space flight sim game without joystick support is a nonstarter for me.

This is the part that really surprised me, I expected joystick use to be commonplace.

The fact that no one at Cryptic owns a joystick is a bit shocking.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Bump... need to keep this one on front page until it's fixed
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Logitech Dual Action on PC Windows 7 , game does not recognize any input from controller.