test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tovan Khev hatedom?

Comments

• lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After reading a lot of comments on some other threads, I've noticed that people don't really like Tovan Khev. Am I the only one that actually likes the guy?

Nope, I really like the character and incorporated his existence into my Rom's back story. I thought his addition was a great idea and I know others who think the same thing. We just tend not to be as vocal as the "haters". When they start foaming at the mouth we just roll our eyes.... kinda the way you do when you pass the shopping cart street lady muttering to herself about rays while searching for her aluminum foil cap :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    Nope, I really like the character and incorporated his existence into my Rom's back story. I thought his addition was a great idea and I know others who think the same thing. We just tend not to be as vocal as the "haters". When they start foaming at the mouth we just roll our eyes.... kinda the way you do when you pass the shopping cart street lady muttering to herself about rays while searching for her aluminum foil cap :D

I don't think that's a fair statement. Not everyone who "hates" Tovan are ott about it. A lot of us have actually been very reasonable about it. There are some who do go overboard, but I think they are a vocal minority.

And for the record, I actually like Tovan, and I'm quite happy to have him... on one of my romulans. However for the other two I would really like the option to remove him. Particularly from my Reman, as I am going for an all reman crew and he is TRIBBLE up my theme.

That's all.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    explain, different opinions about something, apparently are now pathetic and disgusting?

I respect people's opinions. But in the case of Tovan Khev, it's not opinion that I've read. It's hate speech. Against a fictional character of all things. Just as bad as what I've read with Scarlet Briar from Guild Wars 2. I know a lot of people didn't like her, myself included. But man, a lot of people went on disturbing tirades to forever condemn this fictional character.

In the case of Tovan, when LoR launched, I've read nothing but distasteful vitriol from this community, from the forums and in-game. It left me shaking my head at times. People have gone at great lengths and have devoted so much energy to express how they wish to explicitly torture this certain character in various ways, from shoving out an airlock to disembowelment, and even things I cannot mention on this forum. These days I'm not so wound up on the issue anymore, and I really don't care. But back then, it really made me question what kind of people are playing this game, potentially more disturbed than your typical ESD folk.

Tovan is by far the most hated character in STO, without question. I did not approve of Cryptic's method to forcibly integrate this character onto Romulan players, and I hope they don't do this type of thing again. While I was able to work Tovan into my builds and crew, others haven't and have been left frustrated at the fact that he was nothing more than a wasted boff slot.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't care that much about his character. The fact that he started whining about his sister every possible time he could when we were tryiing to stop Hakeev and the Elachi...... bad point.

I just don't like what he represents: his own ethnic group. That, or all Republic vessels are infiltrated by Undine, which could potentially end very bad with all those Scimitars in the Flotilla.

Aka: everybody has one, nobody can get rid of him. I like to have a unique feeling to my crew, that's all. Other than that, he was nice for the storyline.

Don't hate him, don't particulary like him. Just want to be ABLE to get rid of him.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My plan with Tovan, since his ground traits are better than his space traits (he'd be fine if he had SRO instead of just RO), is to bust him down to security officer and use him only as a ground boff once I get a second tac boff. I've already replaced him with Satra (renamed Emira) as first officer on the department heads list. For one thing, she at least respects my authority as captain (Morgan's ex-RSN).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    You get 2 BOFF slots with the LoR starter pack for ALL Romulan characters... maybe the best "deal" in the whole store.

If Tovan eats up a BOFF space, and I use one on the more useless Borg (also part of the starter pack for every Romulan I play), I'm still BOFF slot neutral.

Maybe if you don't care about the T'varo, and don't buy the starter pack, then I can see why you may wish to dismiss Tovan... but he's still got a great package of stuff that KDF and Starfleet players would love to have on their toons.
    phoenicius wrote: »
    anyone can get TS3 with the jem'hadar boff, and romulan operative isn't as hard to get as you think, i also don't like him and wish i could get rid of him, but alas cryptic won't let us lol, maybe they might in a few years, who knows.

My setup on my Ar'kif is all SRO & a Reman with Superior Infiltrator. Having Tovan around as a backup isn't bad at all, and TS3 is still worth millions on the Exchange. Rom Op isn't that difficult to get, but it still isn't that cheap.

If Tovan were SRO and/or Rinna Khev instead (like the many people who delete D'vex, yet find a way to keep Satra), most people would find a way to "roleplay" that.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Saffi Larsen. What more can I say?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can't hate someone I taught to dropkick dinosaurs.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO's claim to fame is its customization; your ship, your crew, your choices, your decisions, your appearance, your play style, etc. etc. etc. And then they throw in a mandatory hand-holding Boff that whines to no end, with completely impassive voice work, as part of a story arc where your captain is written as a blundering idiot that can't see obvious things coming 5 minutes ahead, much less 3 or 4 missions ahead (blatantly obvious foreshadowing was blatantly obvious).

Also mostly this:
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I don't care that much about his character. The fact that he started whining about his sister every possible time he could when we were tryiing to stop Hakeev and the Elachi...... bad point.

I just don't like what he represents: his own ethnic group. That, or all Republic vessels are infiltrated by Undine, which could potentially end very bad with all those Scimitars in the Flotilla.

Aka: everybody has one, nobody can get rid of him. I like to have a unique feeling to my crew, that's all. Other than that, he was nice for the storyline.

Don't hate him, don't particulary like him. Just want to be ABLE to get rid of him.

All Romulan Republic captains have a clone of him which is about as far away from customization as you can get.

I don't hate on him, that would be a waste of time and energy, but I definitely do not like him.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't hate Tovan Khev as a character. I really don't.

What I do hate is that he is an immersion-breaking game element that was forced upon each player that plays ANY Romulan Republic character, completely disregarding the RP aspects of the game.

The devs are making it seem harder than it is to make Tovan Khev optional. They say it's impossible to get rid of him now, but there are several changes that could very well make it possible.

-Put an option in the Options window to hide/unhide story characters
    -When this option is switched off, all mandatory BOFFs(Read: Tovan Khev) will be hidden from your roster
    -If turned off, it disallows you from playing any mission that is Tovan-heavy
    -Remove Tovan from non-Tovan-heavy missions so it's easy to forget he even exists
    -Remove him from the bridges when the option is switched off
    -STOP TOVAN FROM MAKING HIMSELF FIRST OFFICER ALL THE TIME. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
    -Give all Romulans +1 BOFF slot

Please Cryptic. Please.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope, I love him to bits!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh look another I Love/Hate Tovan thread ... It's getting as bad (or worse) than T5 Connie and Phaser threads.

They REALLY need to update his dialogues (which will never happen though) to make him more a subordinate, OR re-write the story somewhat, so that you are a PAIR of colonists from Virinat,

i.e. you are, BFF's, BMF's, so that there is less of a "Who the froick is this guy ordering me around?" situation, and more "The two of us will save the galaxy together" feeling.

That and boost one or more of his skills to Superior, so that he has more of a function in late game (though to be fair, he pretty much shuts up after he find his sister)

He's also an idiot! There I said it, I think sometimes his dialogues are just plain "wrong" the absolute idiocy of some of his comments are 'grating' ... "Suggest we go to yellow alert!" WTF is that? There is no "Yellow Alert" in STO, so again WTF?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

I preferred it when Data was there and she shut up for a bit :D
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like him a lot more since I levelled a KDF Romulan character. Hearing him call people "petaQ" and whatnot is pleasant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    oh lord, i remember her...most.annoying.trek.character.ever

even epohh lady, kurland, winter ferengi/chef and dr. cooper combined have nothing on her
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Orange, as I understand it, they've already taken away the ability of various BOffs (including ol' Tovie) to promote themselves like that.

And if you shut off Tovan, and are then barred from playing Tovan-heavy missions, doesn't that pretty well cut off your ability to do any of the Romulan main missions until after "Installation 18"?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Orange, as I understand it, they've already taken away the ability of various BOffs (including ol' Tovie) to promote themselves like that.
    Yes, that was a bug, not a feature, and it was fixed a few months ago. Feds and Klinks had the same problem (I vividly remember my Fedside boffs kept playing musical chairs when I had them set up a particular way for RP reasons).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Every day I see someone's Tovan on New Romulus with a Gag Ball in his mouth. LOL Thats one way to shut him up!
    edited April 2014
    Still happens to me occasionally. *shrug*
    And if you shut off Tovan, and are then barred from playing Tovan-heavy missions, doesn't that pretty well cut off your ability to do any of the Romulan main missions until after "Installation 18"?
    I'd be more than okay with that if it meant never having to see Tovan again.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jon59650 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand why all the hate for Tovan. If people don't like him then go onto the exchange, get a purple Romulan female boff and use her instead.

It boggles the mind.

That's what I did, tho she was blue IIRC. I like all girl crews, Tovan and the other guy you get are just sitting around in the crews quarters playing cards
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have no issue with Tovan Khev. In fact, he's my Romulan character's homeboy. And he's one of my better Romulan bridge officers ground-side.

Some of the burning hate I've seen expressed on these boards toward him, rivals the fanaticism I've seen over other TRIBBLE here. It's silly as all hell.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have no issue with Tovan Khev. In fact, he's my Romulan character's homeboy. And he's one of my better Romulan bridge officers ground-side.
    I noticed after a while that Tovan tends to Lunge toward everything. So I took away his plasma weapon and gave him a bat'leth. He kicks butt with a bat'leth.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I prefer me being the main character.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I noticed after a while that Tovan tends to Lunge toward everything. So I took away his plasma weapon and gave him a bat'leth. He kicks butt with a bat'leth.

I'm so gonna have to try this. :D
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    He's a bridge officer. You can change his skills to fit your playstyle. You can remove him from away teams. Who gives a frack if you can't remove him? Players just need something to whine about. That's it.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    He doesn't fit for all crews in a players mind. For one romulan captain, he's a fine fit as the tactical officer, and I like having him...with that specific toon. For my other romulan toon he's simply a pain in the posteriror and I want him off the ship, but can't get rid of him no matter how hard I try.

Plus the fact early on he literally sits there acting like he's the captain and ordering you around to do things. Why so many like Flores. She helps without being too pushy and realizes YOU ARE IN COMMAND.

I think the main reason for this is because they took what they had learnt with Tovan and wrote a much better 1st officer.
    What's also important is the environment in which you gained command as a Romulan. In that exodus, you didn't have a command structure, you were mates getting off that planet, and just trying to make it in the universe. Obviously, this doesn't fit many player's RP of a romulan.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So out of interest then for those people who for some reason don't like Tovan Khev, what would you replace him with if he was swapped out / discarded?

I mean what specifically would you prefer personality wise, race, appearance, etc?
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
    edited April 2014
    gardat wrote: »
    So out of interest then for those people who for some reason don't like Tovan Khev, what would you replace him with if he was swapped out / discarded?

I mean what specifically would you prefer personality wise, race, appearance, etc?
    An empty slot. And I will cherish that empty slot forever.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    he is better than any klingon or Fed BO....I like him
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    he is better than any klingon or Fed BO....I like him

I'll take Flores any day of the week and twice on sunday. Least she recognizes the fact that I AM IN COMMAND. She is just there to offer advice when I need it. Ya know like a true first officer. Not treating me like I am a damn passenger on my own frakking ship.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1