test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tovan Khev hatedom?

gamerwookiegamerwookie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
After reading a lot of comments on some other threads, I've noticed that people don't really like Tovan Khev. Am I the only one that actually likes the guy?
Post edited by gamerwookie on

Comments

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like him. He's my Romulan bro. We might be the only ones though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They mostly just don't like being stuck with him the entire time.
  • gamerwookiegamerwookie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is kind of refreshing having an actual voice acted character through half of the story.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    He doesn't fit for all crews in a players mind. For one romulan captain, he's a fine fit as the tactical officer, and I like having him...with that specific toon. For my other romulan toon he's simply a pain in the posteriror and I want him off the ship, but can't get rid of him no matter how hard I try.

Plus the fact early on he literally sits there acting like he's the captain and ordering you around to do things. Why so many like Flores. She helps without being too pushy and realizes YOU ARE IN COMMAND.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    He doesn't fit for all crews in a players mind. For one romulan captain, he's a fine fit as the tactical officer, and I like having him...with that specific toon. For my other romulan toon he's simply a pain in the posteriror and I want him off the ship, but can't get rid of him no matter how hard I try.

Plus the fact early on he literally sits there acting like he's the captain and ordering you around to do things. Why so many like Flores. She helps without being too pushy and realizes YOU ARE IN COMMAND.

I think with Flores it was because she was added around a pre-existing storyline. Tovan is there from the start in new content. Besides, he is kind of essential to some story arcs. For instance, he's the link between you and Charva.
    And in his defense, you don't actually start off in the Republic military. You start off as civilians with him being potentially slightly more experienced as a Security Guard on the colony.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do not see the problem with him.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    3 things that bug me the most with him.

1. he needs take 2 step back from me. he is like a dog humping my legs

2. his XO/1st officer style is borderline sexist and almost overriding my authority as commander of my ship

3. and I had as much to say about his appointment as 1st officer as russian captain has over appointment of political offers.

3 things from long list
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should make him superior operative. Then he will be liked. And sold around.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like him but there are several problem with him.

You can't replace him. He is taking a boff slot, and while his traits are very good when you begin the game, later they are no the best, and you might want to replace him with a SRO BOFF, but you can't. If he had his own free slot, that would be less a problem.

You can't edit him.

All you Romulan characters will have a Tovan Khev in their crew. I enjoy to have different crew and captain, and having the same guy all over again is annoying.

He is part of the plot, and will speak even when he is not part of the away team/bridge crew. Like he is taking control of the ship or something.

Some people (not myself) want to have a full Reman/female/orion half naked female crew, and Tovan doesn't fit, obviously.

He is pretty much everywhere in the beginning, and I wish the others BOFF where more important, like Satra or Veril. It can be boring to have the exact same guy over and over in BOFF discussions.

I think Cryptic should have make a free BOFF slot for all the Romulan, so they can have Tovan, and if they don't like it, remove it from every post, and basically forget him. You won't see him that way, unless you replay a storyline mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    3 things that bug me the most with him.

1. he needs take 2 step back from me. he is like a dog humping my legs

2. his XO/1st officer style is borderline sexist and almost overriding my authority as commander of my ship

3. and I had as much to say about his appointment as 1st officer as russian captain has over appointment of political offers.

3 things from long list

Like a dog humping your leg? :D
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    You can't edit him.

Sure you can. I change his uniform, hairstyle, and tattoo all the time. You can edit all the other properties he has too.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited April 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    I like him but there are several problem with him.

You can't replace him. He is taking a boff slot, and while his traits are very good when you begin the game, later they are no the best, and you might want to replace him with a SRO BOFF, but you can't. If he had his own free slot, that would be less a problem.

You can't edit him.

All you Romulan characters will have a Tovan Khev in their crew. I enjoy to have different crew and captain, and having the same guy all over again is annoying.

He is part of the plot, and will speak even when he is not part of the away team/bridge crew. Like he is taking control of the ship or something.

Some people (not myself) want to have a full Reman/female/orion half naked female crew, and Tovan doesn't fit, obviously.

He is pretty much everywhere in the beginning, and I wish the others BOFF where more important, like Satra or Veril. It can be boring to have the exact same guy over and over in BOFF discussions.

I think Cryptic should have make a free BOFF slot for all the Romulan, so they can have Tovan, and if they don't like it, remove it from every post, and basically forget him. You won't see him that way, unless you replay a storyline mission.

I'd be in favor of giving the other characters more importance.

And with seeing everybody bringing Tovan Khev all over the place, that's why I bring different officers on places like the Voth Battlezone, and New Romulus. Because EVERYBODY brings him, Elisa Flores, and Nelen Exil from what I've seen.
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Sure you can. I change his uniform, hairstyle, and tattoo all the time. You can edit all the other properties he has too.

Yeah, the only thing you can't change is his name.
  • jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I honestly don't understand why all the hate for Tovan. If people don't like him then go onto the exchange, get a purple Romulan female boff and use her instead.

It boggles the mind.
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
    edited April 2014
    jon59650 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand why all the hate for Tovan. If people don't like him then go onto the exchange, get a purple Romulan female boff and use her instead.

It boggles the mind.

Where does one even get a purple quality bridge officer. So far, the only way to get blue or better quality bridge officers would be the mission Doomsday Device on the Federation missions where you HAVE to chose one. Neither the KDF nor the Romulan Republic has missions that do that.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Where does one even get a purple quality bridge officer. So far, the only way to get blue or better quality bridge officers would be the mission Doomsday Device on the Federation missions where you HAVE to chose one. Neither the KDF nor the Romulan Republic has missions that do that.
    Random purps drop on you as you level up. You can keep them, use them to train existing boffs, or sell them on the exchange.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After reading a lot of comments on some other threads, I've noticed that people don't really like Tovan Khev. Am I the only one that actually likes the guy?

he tells you how to run your own ship, if you give him a chance he will tell you what foods you should eat, when to breathe or take a dump... i mean really? :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I cant say I really hate any of my bridge officers, but the main problem for many players is they tend to treat boffs like just another weapon and are only interested in whether the boffs fit in with their idea of what a perfect build should be and discard any that don't fit for ones that do.
    this makes any boff that cannot be dismissed a right pain in the warp nacelle for many players, it does not bother me in any way as I do not fuss to much about what is the perfect set up and am sure many players would have a head fit if they see what weapons, consoles ect I have on my ships, or what I have on my landing party for that matter, but I don't find I fair to badly.
    I think what would help would be if players had a much larger base of boffs to draw from and were able to post boffs onto particular ships and leave them there then many players could post tovan on a ship they don't use much and forget him.
    the thing I have noticed regarding ship setups that I am surprised I have not seen any complaints about is the ship layout save load feature that does not appear to work as intended, I had my boffs ect laid out just so, saved the layout and after changing ships for a while i change back and loaded my layout and it was nothing like how I saved it even having empty spaces where boff should be.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Elisa realizes I'm in command because i once made her sit in her room for 2 hours of W. O. O. Red Dwarf joke :P Mr Flibble is very cross indeed.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    People will love or hate a lot of things. That is just the nature of it.

To me I like the guy, I didn't have a problem with him. He is a valuable member of my Command staff. I didn't mind him giving me options as I did the missions. It adds to the mission story, plus my Captain wasn't really trained to be in that spot. So I used his wisdom to condition myself for the Command Chair. And he didn't have to deal with being in charge. Which is why he wanted me to be it. Each person has their own view of the story.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a theory on why we cant delete him.

He is obviously needed in a future storyline and I think he will end up being a traitor, either an undine or and Iconian maybe even a shapeshifter.

Reunification is for the weak and not all Romulan players (myself included) will agree to it so why the heck he is so PRO reunification to the point of ramming fingers down ya throat means he clearly is an infiltrator.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    Free Tac BOFF with Rom Op and TS3?

Definitely underpowered for Romulan players.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Elisa realizes I'm in command because i once made her sit in her room for 2 hours of W. O. O. Red Dwarf joke :P Mr Flibble is very cross indeed.

Hell I want this as a DOFF mission. Only hologram officers survive it :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    I have a theory on why we cant delete him.

He is obviously needed in a future storyline and I think he will end up being a traitor, either an undine or and Iconian maybe even a shapeshifter.

Reunification is for the weak and not all Romulan players (myself included) will agree to it so why the heck he is so PRO reunification to the point of ramming fingers down ya throat means he clearly is an infiltrator.

Maybe it's more like the RSE and Tal Shiar comitting near-genocide of their own people and even making deals with the likes of Hirogen and Elachi to hunt survivors down for sport/food that makes reunification seem like a good idea.

no infiltration, sorry. pay moar attention to the story
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't like him, but I don't hate him either. I find a lot of the vitriol towards him to be pathetic and disgusting at times.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    It doesn't make any sense to me. People are probably raging against the fact you can't dismiss him, so EVERYONE has him.

And that is why I take Satra with me to New Romulus.

I still want her jacket.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited April 2014

anyone can get TS3 with the jem'hadar boff, and romulan operative isn't as hard to get as you think, i also don't like him and wish i could get rid of him, but alas cryptic won't let us lol, maybe they might in a few years, who knows.
    hypl wrote: »
    I don't like him, but I don't hate him either. I find a lot of the vitriol towards him to be pathetic and disgusting at times.

explain, different opinions about something, apparently are now pathetic and disgusting?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't mind Tovan Khev. I like him. I like because he's that nitwit among the crew that's always panicking about something. Makes him a good laugh. Makes him a Ship's Fool.

I have morale to consider for my Crew.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The main problem is you are stuck with him and he takes up a BOFF slot. If he didn't take up one, so had a special one just for him and no other, then it wouldn't be so bad.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014

For a lot of people that is completely beside the point. Tovan could be the single most powerfull boff in the game and I would still want an option to dismiss him.
    The issue for me has never been his performance (or even his characterization.) It's the simple issue that I don't have a choice. Nothing more, nothing less.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy