What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tovan Khev hatedom?

124»

Comments

• zaichalzaichal Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    /golfclap

And what about the players who are women in real life that don't like Tovan?

Speaking as one of those rare players who is a woman in real life... While I neither like or dislike Tovan, it's just an internet spaceship game.

His voice isn't nearly as irritating as some of the voice acting in this game. I thought his inclusion in the storyline added surprising depth when I first played it on tribble before LoR was released on the holodeck. His appearance can be changed, that he lacks a more feminine chest is your problem. Cryptic's first attempt at trying to make a boff who was more than a disposable meat shield in a red shirt has flaws, sure, but admit it, there would be little to no complaints if Tovan was female.

As for the boff space issue, I honestly never noticed a difference. Although converting dil to zen to get more space isn't hard and the starter pack isn't that expensive.

So anyway, as a representative of the rare, almost mythical real girl irl playing an mmo, here's a rundown on a few of my characters and their first officers.

I have on my Cardassian looking alien, a male human tac and I only changed his uniform because his default face is like The Sisko and the implications of that amused me.

On one character, I have a hideous boff that is allegedly female but looks the stuff of nightmares. Never changed the default look because this also amused me.

Another character has, drum roll, a bleached blonde orion female. Which I stuck in robes and the khan outfit helmet because it amuses me.

I have a horribly obese female character because as someone who goes to the gym on a regular basis, I am secure enough in my looks irl that I don't find the need to overcompensate in an mmo. Also because once again, it amuses me.

As for my romulans, they and their crews are distinct enough from each other that even having Tovan around for each one isn't immersion breaking.

What amuses me more though, is the sheer amount of thinly disguised rage from the player base because some romulan boff breaks your precious immersion and/or ruins your bridge bunny harem fantasy.

If you're not amused by playing a game, then it doesn't sound like you're having fun and games are meant to be fun. Still don't see how Tovan Khev can cause so much rage, perhaps there's some irl issues you're projecting. Maybe if you went outside once in a while, got a job, interacted with people irl, you'd be inspired to do something a bit more original than the stereotype of Many Men Roleplaying Girls. Healthier too, getting angry at your mother nagging you to tidy your room or raging over internet spaceships and their crews isn't right, y'all.

So anyway, that's just my opinion as a girl irl. I know some of you have issues with girls actually having opinions though, but I'm not going to apologise for that. Though here's a thought to ponder - if Tovan was female and still expressing opinions all the time, wouldn't that also break your immersion of the agreeable yes-woman first officer you really want?
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Internet girlfriends? Do people still do that? I remember that being 'in' way back in 2007.

You should try hanging out on Drozana at some point, or DS9 #2. Also SSR parties.

The fun is always when they start strictly trying to deny it after they slip up and accidentally say something of their weird ERPs in local.

In any case, you can imagine how deeply uncomfortable having a male boff around would make these people feverently bent on convincing themselves that pastey white orion they're jerking it to is controlled by a real TRIBBLE woman and not at all a man.

Wanting to replace him with a better boff, sure, but the point still stands that extra boff slots are cheap. 2 chars worth of refine limits and loose change sorts that out.

Point also still stands that the better boffs run for prices most of these people incessantly whine are insane and unfair, while shelling out half their paychecks to open lockboxes and get nothing out of them instead of taking time to comprehend the game.

All grinds down to trying to find new reasons for entitlement and justifications for what can only be described as discomfort at a fellow phallus being on their crew.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Mention ERP and suddenly everyone becomes a psychiatrist. :rolleyes:

I know. It's like those sketchy medical doctors endorsing the latest pharmaceutical drug on those uber cheesy promotional commercials.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited April 2014
    No I didn't. I said I was disappointed in your taking the easiest path to poke fun, and the term personnel and the abbreviation TRIBBLE are not gender specific.

There's nothing in my post you can point at that even hints I "assumed" your fleet was male only.

The best you could argue is that I assumed your fleet was all women because I was disappointed you were offended at men's fantasies about female crews.

You're still phoning it in. I've seen you do much better.

Your post was so packed to the brim with passive aggression that there is little doubt each word of mine struck you on a personal level.

However, carry on the denial. It amuses us deeply.

Also in an earlier post I pointed out exactly where to find the bridge-bunny whining.

Reading comprehension helps.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why are we feeding the (fairly obvious) troll? The more attention s/he gets, the more s/he is going to keep it up.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can't hate someone I taught to dropkick dinosaurs.

You know, I can't argue with that. :D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lerpyderp wrote: »
    Your post was so packed to the brim with passive aggression that there is little doubt each word of mine struck you on a personal level.

However, carry on the denial. It amuses us deeply.

Also in an earlier post I pointed out exactly where to find the bridge-bunny whining.

Reading comprehension helps.

Isn't dental a male only fleet as well?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zaichal wrote: »
    ... but admit it, there would be little to no complaints if Tovan was female.

There would be from me. If Flores was non-dischargeable like Tavan, I would have been very unhappy. My issue is not (nor ever has been) the gender. It is simply the lack of choice.

I have three republic toons. On one of those toons I would be quite happy to keep Tovan. That toon has kept all of the story boffs (Tovan, Satra, Veril, Hiven and D'Vex) and will continue to for as long as I play the game. But I don't like having duplicate boffs amoung my characters, so one my other two I remove Satra, Veril and Hiven as soon as I had someone to replace them. It irks me that I can't do this with Tovan. I can't customize my crew the way I want.

I get that for other people this is not a big deal, but I take offence at the suggestion that my being unhappy about it is anything to do with my (supposed) unresolved issues or that I have some kind of gender bias.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You should try hanging out on Drozana at some point, or DS9 #2. Also SSR parties.

The fun is always when they start strictly trying to deny it after they slip up and accidentally say something of their weird ERPs in local.

In any case, you can imagine how deeply uncomfortable having a male boff around would make these people feverently bent on convincing themselves that pastey white orion they're jerking it to is controlled by a real TRIBBLE woman and not at all a man.

Wanting to replace him with a better boff, sure, but the point still stands that extra boff slots are cheap. 2 chars worth of refine limits and loose change sorts that out.

Point also still stands that the better boffs run for prices most of these people incessantly whine are insane and unfair, while shelling out half their paychecks to open lockboxes and get nothing out of them instead of taking time to comprehend the game.

All grinds down to trying to find new reasons for entitlement and justifications for what can only be described as discomfort at a fellow phallus being on their crew.

Well... uhhhh.... hmmm. You seem to know an awful lot about that subject. An awful lot... a little too much in fact... Iiiiiiii'm going to leave you, the "expert" to be "experty" or whatever it is you do with that extremely sketchy phd of yours and I'm going to go over there now.

Tah-tah~
    edited April 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Isn't dental a male only fleet as well?

While I am certain that this would help keep up your world-illusions of all females being oh so willing to throw themselves at the first one to white knight for their favor and obey their new savior's every word after: No.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Well... uhhhh.... hmmm. You seem to know an awful lot about that subject. An awful lot... a little too much in fact... Iiiiiiii'm going to leave you, the "expert" to be "experty" or whatever it is you do with that extremely sketchy phd of yours and I'm going to go over there now.

Tah-tah~

It quickly becomes the elephant in the room when one notes that as said, a good deal of this goes on in public chats.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited April 2014
    While I am certain that this would help keep up your world-illusions of all females being oh so willing to throw themselves at the first one to white knight for their favor and obey their new savior's every word after: No.

. . .

. . . what?
    edited April 2014
    Rofl!

Let me guess, you have a second account under the name kirk2390. :P

That would make a lot of sense actually.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Rofl!

Let me guess, you have a second account under the name kirk2390. :P

Ha! Nearly spit out my coffee on that one!:D
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guys, quit feeding the troll. It's Starfleet Dental, they're a bunch of jerks who run Ponzi schemes and exploit newbies.

And while I agree that ERP shouldn't be done in-game, I really can't stand the fact that the losers use the excuse of fighting ERP to troll people and harass ordinary RPers.

Plus, the troll is obvious.

So leave it to stew in its trollishness with its fellow trollbois. There are SO many better things to do than to feed trolls...
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I noticed after a while that Tovan tends to Lunge toward everything. So I took away his plasma weapon and gave him a bat'leth. He kicks butt with a bat'leth.

In before tovan is great with a bat'le........... :D Ya say this in every I love/hate tovan threads lol. (I always can set my clock to it) I gave the kid a bat'leth and a lirpa and he's not good at it :(. I think he really need's some better ground and space traits since Cryptic hardwired him into the story, and doesn't seem to want to remove him anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Have you not improved his ground combat? It made perfect sense to me. The funniest one was when we were invading that Elachi ship in subspace; one of their flying attackers got stuck in the ceiling, and Tovan kept Lunging up, hitting it, and falling down. Since it was in the ceiling, the rest of us couldn't hit it with our ranged weapons, so he wound up killing it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gamerwookiegamerwookie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Have you not improved his ground combat? It made perfect sense to me. The funniest one was when we were invading that Elachi ship in subspace; one of their flying attackers got stuck in the ceiling, and Tovan kept Lunging up, hitting it, and falling down. Since it was in the ceiling, the rest of us couldn't hit it with our ranged weapons, so he wound up killing it.

That actually pretty funny :D
    edited April 2014

And people say that bugs never improve anything.