test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend (Now Ended)

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    This mission is essentially set up so that you can decide how much you want to sink time into it, until you get the reward that you want. When you complete scanning 5 particles, you're eligible to earn a random common DOFF. As you finishing scanning more particles, you'll qualify for increasingly better random DOFFs. The DOFF's branch depends on the branch of the cadet that you chose to mentor, so you can decide if you want an Engineering, Science, or Tactical branch DOFF.

Once you've reached the quality level that you like by scanning enough particles, you turn in the particle results to Prof. Meyer or Cmdr. B'Tama and get the DOFF in return. The mission then has a 20-hour cooldown.
    If you scan some particles but don't decide to turn in the mission, don't fret -- the stabilized particles will remain in your inventory for the whole event, so you can come back later to do more scanning if you're intent on picking up that very rare DOFF.

So, if you scan lots of particles, you could potentially pick up a very rare DOFF every day during the event. If you're more of a casual player, you can drop in to scan some particles a few times each day and then pick up a great DOFF at the end, or pick up some more common DOFFs each day with a smaller number of scans.

In other words a max of 4-5 purple doff's can be obtained, due to the event only being 4 days?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Look at it this way: At least it's not mandatory grind to do that particle chasing inanity this way. You have the choice of what part of the event to partake in.

Everyone can get their Exocomp and then either...
    1. Grind horrible particle troll event to get a measly handful of purple doffs.
    2. Actually do some frikken doffing.

I know what I'm picking, but I can imagine those without doffs might want to acquire some no matter how bad it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    You know there is a third faction in the game, it would be nice if you would start supporting it properly for events like this. And why are KDF getting Remans, who don't belong to their faction?

The Reman doff existed before there was a Romulan faction. If they changed the doff, they'd have to change the exocomp one too out of fairness.

In the end, it's easier to just think of it as one of the Romulan Republic people who sided with the KDF.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Really, you couldn't have made it reclaimable? Well thanks, my Time will like the doff
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    The Reman doff existed before there was a Romulan faction. If they changed the doff, they'd have to change the exocomp one too out of fairness.

In the end, it's easier to just think of it as one of the Romulan Republic people who sided with the KDF.

Yep. Got the reman doff last year for my klingon and that was before LoR launched.

Also keep in mind, everybody, that if you obtained the exocomp or reman doff before, you won't be able to get them ever again for those characters. Even if you lost the doff on an assignment or accidentally dismissed it you won't be able to ever replace it.

As for the event, I plan to get the exocomp and reman doffs for characters that weren't around last year. That's it.

Run around and scan 75 particles per day per character? For what? Purple doffs? And that's if I want to get the max amount of free purple doffs per character per day. Most of my characters are at their roster limit and I don't want to spend time going through my doffs to see which one I want to get rid of to make room for another doff.

I use to do the particle scan event a lot when I was new to the game. Took a while before I finally asked how to do it right. It was a piece of cake knowing what actions to take depending on the particle but I quickly grew bored of the event. Now if there was a repuation project to get a special doff or pet, a box of marks, and a big fat 50k dil reward I would have considered it for a few characters. But for doffs? Meh.

P.S. Stop giving us crappy weekend events and bring back bonus mark weekend. We had only 1 bonus mark weekend since the hourly events were removed, and it pisses me off we only get a special event every other weekend instead of every weekend. It might be months before we ever see bonus marks again, and until then the PVE queues are going to be nearly empty for most of the events that give reputation marks.

Bring back the hourly events. At least that gave players a reason to do the PVE events every day for reputation marks. Hell, I can't hardly get into Azure Nebula Rescue anymore and that's pretty much the only event people queue for that gives romulan marks. I needed about 30 romulan marks a couple days ago on a character to fill the claim tier 5 project. I had to resort to going to new romulus and doing the dailies for a lousy 10 marks each.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep. Got the reman doff last year for my klingon and that was before LoR launched.

Also keep in mind, everybody, that if you obtained the exocomp or reman doff before, you won't be able to get them ever again for those characters. Even if you lost the doff on an assignment or accidentally dismissed it you won't be able to ever replace it.

As for the event, I plan to get the exocomp and reman doffs for characters that weren't around last year. That's it.

Run around and scan 75 particles per day per character? For what? Purple doffs? And that's if I want to get the max amount of free purple doffs per character per day. Most of my characters are at their roster limit and I don't want to spend time going through my doffs to see which one I want to get rid of to make room for another doff.

I use to do the particle scan event a lot when I was new to the game. Took a while before I finally asked how to do it right. It was a piece of cake knowing what actions to take depending on the particle but I quickly grew bored of the event. Now if there was a repuation project to get a special doff or pet, a box of marks, and a big fat 50k dil reward I would have considered it for a few characters. But for doffs? Meh.

P.S. Stop giving us crappy weekend events and bring back bonus mark weekend. We had only 1 bonus mark weekend since the hourly events were removed, and it pisses me off we only get a special event every other weekend instead of every weekend. It might be months before we ever see bonus marks again, and until then the PVE queues are going to be nearly empty for most of the events that give reputation marks.

Bring back the hourly events. At least that gave players a reason to do the PVE events every day for reputation marks. Hell, I can't hardly get into Azure Nebula Rescue anymore and that's pretty much the only event people queue for that gives romulan marks. I needed about 30 romulan marks a couple days ago on a character to fill the claim tier 5 project. I had to resort to going to new romulus and doing the dailies for a lousy 10 marks each.

dont you want an epohh friend
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hey at least you don't have to collect particles for exocomp, shud be greatful for that
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »

Give the Romulan an exocomp wouldn't be too difficult. And no need to change anything.

And at least acknowledge them in the blog would have been good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tuathaantuathaan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Who is PWI?

And how did they exclude the Gamma pack?

~CaptainSmirk

I meant PWE, I apologize for the typo.

Originally the event explicitly excluded the all packs from Lock Boxes (including the Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre, which was a C-store pack at one time).
    Duty officer packs** opened during the event will each have a FREE additional Green quality or better duty officer inside. This only applies to C-Store purchased packs, not to those awarded during rank-up, from recruitment assignments or Lock Boxes. Also, it applies only to packs opened during the event, even if they are purchased prior to the event. **The packs included in this offer are: Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre, Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack, Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack, Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack, Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack, Klingon Empire Duty Officer Pack and Federation Duty Officer Pack.

The event description was updated after I asked about it.

Duty officer packs** opened during the event will each have a FREE additional Green quality or better duty officer inside. This only applies to C-Store purchased packs, not to those awarded during rank-up, from recruitment assignments or mini-packs. Also, it applies only to packs opened during the event, even if they are purchased prior to the event. **The packs included in this offer are: Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre, Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack, Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack, Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack, Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack, Klingon Empire Duty Officer Pack and Federation Duty Officer Pack.

So, the Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre from Lock Boxes is no longer excluded by the event description.
  • Options
    notaris7notaris7 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    velqua wrote: »
    I really do like the idea for this event. I kind of wish we could rank up our DOFFs from white to purple so that we can build a bond with those characters. Any chance of that happening?
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. Once players have the ability to rank up specific officers, then grinders would eventually have a roster full of purple doffs, and no whites. Unfair for some?

It's a good idea though, and gives the doff system a more realistic feel. After all, on a starship, you do have to both promote and demote certain officers.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't understand how the particle collecting works. I talk to the professor and he tells me to use the nearby console, but I don't have the option to do so. Now that it's not time gated, I don't know how to do it and it's doesn't seem to be in my mission journal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I don't understand how the particle collecting works. I talk to the professor and he tells me to use the nearby console, but I don't have the option to do so. Now that it's not time gated, I don't know how to do it and it's doesn't seem to be in my mission journal.

I'm not sure this is the case, but many of these events begin at 10am PST, regardless of when the maintainance ends.

Which means that, as of the time of typing, the event doesnt start for 19 minutes.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the case, but many of these events begin at 10am PST, regardless of when the maintainance ends.

Which means that, as of the time of typing, the event doesnt start for 19 minutes.

Ah ok thanks. That explains why I didn't see much of a commendation xp increase beyond my boost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another TRIBBLE grind... when are you going to make this game fun to play again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    WoW 75 ... for one purple Doff ... just tried and realized after the 3rd Scan, I would rather shoot myself in the face ... thanks for double CXP, though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not bad, plenty of particles. Got my purple in 20 minutes. Not bad at all.

Bit of a grind on 10 toons, but I can just get my special officer on all and then go from there.

Then I can go fly the RRW Brandon Felczer around. I miss BranFlakes already...
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ugh 75 of those things.... I did it once just see how long it would take me. That was the first and last time I did this, that's for sure. The CXP boost and the Exocomp are very welcome though. Thanks.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    By far the most annoying event ever.
    Crypric, do yourself a favor and end it now before you alienate even more players.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Not bad, plenty of particles. Got my purple in 20 minutes. Not bad at all.

Bit of a grind on 10 toons, but I can just get my special officer on all and then go from there.

Then I can go fly the RRW Brandon Felczer around. I miss BranFlakes already...

What are you doing with 10?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Guys, you don't HAVE to grind for the purple...

It's just a nice way to fritter away a little time while all of your Borg STFs are on cooldown, or whatever.

I like this event and I want to see it return.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Particle Scanning in a nut shell:
    http://i.imgur.com/iV1dHtb.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/qywxcO9.jpg

Cryptic, you should really look up the term "Fun" in a dictionary, because I think its meaning escapes you.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very crowded event. Goes to show the overall fine health of the game.

I think 1 purple will be enough for me. Looking forward to finishing up my last 2 doff areas. Overall, pretty sweet weekend.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    What are you doing with 10?

Well, I wanted to try a Reman when I got Romulan rep tier 5, and then I wanted a Mistborn-themed toon with ships named after characters from the books, and I wanted a Gorn because why not, and a Caitian and a Trill because I wanted to try out those fancy C-store species, and a pot-bellied Ferengi because energy credit efficiency and how could I resist those ears?, and I already had a Vulcan, a Klingon, and my Romulan main, and then I wanted to actually play Three (one of my LC characters) in-game...

Basically, it snowballed.

It's fun, though. Alts aren't really for grinding, they're for exploring the game and savoring it. Making different choices, flying different ships, playing different careers. kicking butt differently...

I like that.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Well, I wanted to try a Reman when I got Romulan rep tier 5, and then I wanted a Mistborn-themed toon with ships named after characters from the books, and I wanted a Gorn because why not, and a Caitian and a Trill because I wanted to try out those fancy C-store species, and a pot-bellied Ferengi because energy credit efficiency and how could I resist those ears?, and I already had a Vulcan, a Klingon, and my Romulan main, and then I wanted to actually play Three (one of my LC characters) in-game...

Basically, it snowballed.

It's fun, though. Alts aren't really for grinding, they're for exploring the game and savoring it. Making different choices, flying different ships, playing different careers. kicking butt differently...

I like that.

Well, thank you for more insight into your life.

You do know what people say about men with big ears?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, thank you for more insight into your life.

You do know what people say about men with big ears?

No, but I don't want to know.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should of added some Dil and Fleet Marks to this... even if its a simple 50 dil and 5 fleet marks. Or at the very least be able to select the specialty skill... right now it's random based on red/brown/blue class.

I am assuming the space/ground skill bonus is the basic normal skills, not the rare special skills you get from the various DO packs.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's nice of you, Cryptic, to allow Romulan characters to get TWO unique Doffs (a Romulan one and a KDF/Fed-aligned), but please, tell the Elachi to bring Commander Rojal back so I can get my Romulan Doff (AKA, put this NPC in-game and check this kind of things before bringing them live).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    95% of the particles are collapsed.

what is this Bugged or something??? or this intentional? so annoying...

oh well thank you for having the server up.....
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, I can't honestly say that was fun exactly... but I got a purple Damage Control Engineer out of it, so I won't be complaining. :D
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i8472 wrote: »
    95% of the particles are collapsed.

what is this Bugged or something??? or this intentional? so annoying...

oh well thank you for having the server up.....

No, it's intentional. This was how the original Academy hourly event was, but back then, the prize was 480, 640 and 960 dil for 15, 30 and... 60 particles? And you had to get all of them in an hour.

This isn't a grind, this is generous
This discussion has been closed.